Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979504 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #9660 on: September 07, 2019, 01:59:13 PM »
My favourite live version of TKH is from the b-side of the Hollow Years single.

The instrumental section (7:50-END) with JP playing some slide with DS on the organ along with the unison of that familiar melody (don't know the name of the actual song) and JL's smooth vox is just so cool and and don't forget the blink-and-you'll-miss-it part where they play the riff from A Fortune In Lies behind the vocals instead of the as-recorded riff (5:43-5:59).

That's my favorite version, as well.  I love the Carol of the Bells section.

Offline Evai

« Reply #9661 on: September 15, 2019, 09:04:54 AM »
I like how Labrie's advice to Charlie to sing 'Swimming in a lake of fire' on WDADRu, was to go into falsetto... Sounds like he wanted to cause another 'I am the killing haaaand' moment to me   :metal
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #9662 on: September 18, 2019, 10:37:55 AM »
I get cranky when I skip the wank too many times...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #9663 on: September 18, 2019, 10:49:37 AM »
one does not skip any wank section when it comes to DT :D
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9664 on: September 18, 2019, 10:50:41 AM »
Yea but too much wank and I start to chafe
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9665 on: September 18, 2019, 11:05:22 AM »
one does not skip any wank section when it comes to DT :D

I skip the wankery sections in Illumination Theory by skipping the entire song. :neverusethis:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9666 on: September 18, 2019, 12:25:58 PM »
I wank during the wank sections of the song.  Wait, what?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9667 on: September 18, 2019, 03:18:33 PM »
King!!  STOP THAT!!!  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9668 on: September 23, 2019, 09:10:33 PM »
So it was JM that wanted to play Don't Look Past Me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9669 on: September 25, 2019, 04:55:30 PM »
Controversial opinion:  The piano melody in Out of Reach is far more haunting and beautiful than ANYTHING ever composed by Kevin Moore.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline danoz

« Reply #9670 on: September 25, 2019, 07:58:17 PM »
Controversial opinion:  The piano melody in Out of Reach is far more haunting and beautiful than ANYTHING ever composed by Kevin Moore.

I would say Space Dye Vest is pretty haunting. I love both songs, it's just that SDV is more obscure and creepy. Out of Reach is definitely more conventional in a structured song sense though, however both have a lot of emotional depth.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9671 on: September 25, 2019, 08:02:29 PM »
I think I've listened to Out Of Reach once.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #9672 on: September 25, 2019, 08:34:06 PM »
I think I've listened to Out Of Reach once.

I've listened to it many times, but feel like I've only heard it once. :corn

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #9673 on: September 25, 2019, 09:31:11 PM »
Disagree, but what's great is that music hits people differently. I find the keyboard intro to Metropolis Pt 1 to be more haunting and emotional than anything JR has done. Space Dye Vest in haunting, Wait For Sleep is restrained and emotional, whereas I think JR would have done some crazy and fit as many notes into one section as he can.

I will say, Distance Over Time is JR's most restrained album and tasteful albums, he adds a lot to it and it wouldn't be the same album without it. The keys he plays over the guitar riffs at the beginning of Wit's End are really cool
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9674 on: September 26, 2019, 03:29:35 AM »
I attended The Astonishing Live and IMHO, the album worked a lot better live than I thought and I learned to appreciate it by way of the live show (which might have been harder had it not been for that)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9675 on: September 26, 2019, 07:19:03 AM »
REALLY controversial opinion: Out of Reach is the best song on Distance Over Time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9676 on: September 26, 2019, 08:22:15 AM »
REALLY controversial opinion: Out of Reach is the best song on Distance Over Time.
yes, along with PBD.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9677 on: September 26, 2019, 08:42:56 AM »
Build me up, Break me down has Petrucci's best guitar riff from ADTOE.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9678 on: September 26, 2019, 09:01:38 AM »

That is damn controversial  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9679 on: September 26, 2019, 11:07:13 AM »

With the caveat that I've never heard anything composed by KM other than his contributions to DT, I don't agree with this, but only because of the superlative nature of the statement.  I don't think there's much of anything on WDADU that I would describe as "haunting" or "beautiful."  On I&W, you've got Surrounded (the intro and outro) and Wait for Sleep, and on Awake, you've got SDV (you could also throw Eve into the mix).  I would say all of those compositions are on roughly the same level, and I would disagree that any of them is "far more haunting and beautiful" than any of the others.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9680 on: September 26, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »
I don't think there's much of anything on WDADU that I would describe as "haunting" or "beautiful."

The keyboard intro on TOWHTSTS fits these criteria, imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9681 on: September 26, 2019, 01:06:21 PM »
James' new tattoo looks ridiculous and out of place. I think I hate it.   

*runs for cover*

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9682 on: September 26, 2019, 01:07:46 PM »

*runs for cover*

NO U

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9683 on: September 26, 2019, 06:34:49 PM »
James' new tattoo looks ridiculous and out of place.

I am not a tattoo guy to begin with, and most times I see tattoos that large and detailed I tend to dislike them.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #9684 on: September 26, 2019, 08:23:45 PM »

I don't necessarily agree with you but the piano melody he plays on that song is pretty damn beautiful and haunting. That's what drives me nuts about him. He has the ability to play these beautiful and somewhat simplistic, at least by his standards, melodies, but without somebody like Petrucci to restrain him he gets to noodley.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #9685 on: September 26, 2019, 11:27:32 PM »

*runs for cover*
Agreed 1000%. In about 15 years, it's going to look really dumb. More power to him, but it's kinda overkill
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline NoFred

« Reply #9686 on: September 26, 2019, 11:45:46 PM »
Tattoo regrets are always why did I get that -or- it should be bigger... seems to me JLB has been around enough to know what he wants, and won’t GAF in 15 years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9687 on: September 27, 2019, 08:15:35 PM »
Right, what is James, mid to late 50's? I doubt at 70, he'll look back and go WTF? I would think he's at the age now to regret something he did when he was 20. But I think he's old enough..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #9688 on: September 28, 2019, 08:52:46 AM »
 I think James' new tattoo rocks!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #9689 on: September 28, 2019, 09:11:18 AM »
Here’s one: having Mike Mangini in the band has boosted their overall level of professionalism and respect.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9690 on: September 28, 2019, 09:13:13 AM »
Here’s one: having Mike Mangini in the band has boosted their overall level of professionalism and respect.
yes, because they make less mistakes live. (and I haven't heard Jordan and MM make any)

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9691 on: September 28, 2019, 11:09:05 AM »
yes, because they make less mistakes live. (and I haven't heard Jordan and MM make any)

Right, because Dream Theater had a reputation for sloppy playing and lack of respect amongst fans/musicians before Mangini... :P

Professionalism and respect in what context? Without knowing more, I’d disagree with the hypothesis and would argue their reputation for professionalism and respect has remained pretty consistent throughout their careers minus a couple hiccups in both the Mangini and Portnoy era.

If we are talking about respect and professionalism between the band members, as in relationship-wise, then perhaps.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9692 on: September 30, 2019, 01:53:04 AM »
I think James' new tattoo rocks!
Nope!  :yarr
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #9693 on: September 30, 2019, 02:39:19 AM »
Controversial opinion: Octavarium is too long, especially in the instrumental section between Full Circle and Intervals (& to a lesser extent the Medicate key solo and Razor's Edge guitar solo). It bothers me that multiple times, the instrumental builds up as if it's going to transition, but then it just kinda resets back to where it was. It feels so redundant & sometimes even ruins my immersion completely.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online geeeemo

« Reply #9694 on: September 30, 2019, 10:19:18 AM »
Controversial opinion: Octavarium is too long, especially in the instrumental section between Full Circle and Intervals (& to a lesser extent the Medicate key solo and Razor's Edge guitar solo). It bothers me that multiple times, the instrumental builds up as if it's going to transition, but then it just kinda resets back to where it was. It feels so redundant & sometimes even ruins my immersion completely.

I like the length and appreciate when DT seems to be taking a bit too much time, and I enjoy all the different parts. The going back and being redundant, kind of fits with the whole premise of the song anyway. For me, sometimes a build up needs to take a step back or just hang - it creates even more build up. That's just me. I love every second of Ocatavarium.  :heart