Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979350 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #9380 on: May 07, 2019, 02:19:49 PM »
call me strange, but I think some sections of S2N might have made sense on FII too (and Room 137 as well, as a whole)
Oh and another one: I don't know or understand why Nafaryus changes sides in TA (that and the apparent focus on family values). Shouldn't have happened. I would have preferred battles being put to music.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:54:21 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #9381 on: May 08, 2019, 10:18:54 PM »
Do we know if any other DT member, past or present, also joined the forum?
JP joined and posted once in 2013, but his post is no longer showing up. Charlie Dominici joined and posted for a while, until 2011. And, as mentioned by someone else earlier, MP joined and posted during the ADToE era. (Not a DT member, but JP's wife Rena also joined during the ADToE era, and has posted a few messages on behalf of her husband.)

You can find out all of that and more in the 'Members' section of the forum, and sorting by 'Position' - the ones you are looking for are the 'VIP members'.

Wow.  I had no idea that any of that went down. I always lurked on the MP forum because when I was a new fan, other fans told me his forum was really more like the band's forum and I'd get the latest news there and posts from him.  So I never went to the official DT forum and when I started checking this one out I was surprised it was "unofficial."
Last year, I put together a brief history of the DT websites and fan communities, going back to the mid '90s. If you find it interesting, you can check it out:
Other fans like bosk, noxon, Weymolith and Setlist Scotty helped me with that, and have interesting stories to share.

Also, when did Dreamtheater.net kill their "Official" forum?
It seems they closed it sometime in the first week of November 2006. When you look at archived versions of DT.net from November 3, there's still a fully-working 'message board' link at the top, but the link is no longer there in November 7 versions. You can check it out here:

Oh and another one: I don't know or understand why Nafaryus changes sides in TA (that and the apparent focus on family values). Shouldn't have happened. I would have preferred battles being put to music.
Well, Faythe had been stabbed by her brother, and Gabriel (plus a thousand other voices) saved her. What I get from Nafaryus' lines in "Losing Faythe" and "Astonishing" is that he realises he had been too proud and selfish all that time, and he felt responsible for (almost) losing his daughter.

But I agree: the battle section in "The Path That Divides" is too cool. :metal

Offline Grizz

« Reply #9382 on: May 08, 2019, 11:03:52 PM »
I think Chris Collins also joined this forum and got into a fight with a bunch of members. Or maybe I'm thinking of Dominici.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9383 on: May 09, 2019, 06:51:14 AM »
I may be the only one here who likes all the DT cover art for what it is and that includes Hugh Syme's art.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #9384 on: May 09, 2019, 07:05:51 AM »
I may be the only one here who likes all the DT cover art for what it is and that includes Hugh Syme's art.

I like/love most of them, apart from WD&DU (THAT hairy armpit!  :lol + no classic DT font - ugly and cheesy as hell cover) and ADTOE (love the album, like the general concept of the art, but the execution looks so cheap and basic).
Overall their covers are better than a lot of metal album covers.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9385 on: May 09, 2019, 08:56:33 AM »
I'd say I'm basically in the same boat but with some exceptions. While the FII artwork is OK, I wish they would've gone with the other option that Storm offered up, which ended up being used for the Pink Floyd compilation Echoes. Also, I wish they would've been a bit more creative with the replacement artwork for LSFNY - what they used as replacement artwork is very dull, IMO. Same is true for the art of L@B. Regarding Hugh Syme's artwork, I don't have a problem with the ideas, but the execution is sloppy in most cases, unlike what he did for Rush.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9386 on: May 09, 2019, 09:00:57 AM »
I would assume that the absurdingly horrible coincidence of the LSFNY cover and 9/11 forced them to think on their feet and find a possible solution ASAP, rather than taking their time to conceive a whole new art.

I believe it was a "Oh shyt, what do we do now?" moment for them, that's why they just slapped the Majesty logo on it and got done with it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #9387 on: May 09, 2019, 10:18:20 AM »
Controversial opinion:

WDADU is a top 5 DT album

Offline Ruba

« Reply #9388 on: May 09, 2019, 12:47:55 PM »
Controversial opinion:

WDADU is a top 5 DT album

:iagree:

It's my third favourite, to be exact.

FII is miles better than SFAM

Maybe not miles better but yeah, better.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9389 on: May 15, 2019, 07:20:17 AM »
Listening to DOT and I’m going to say this is easily their third best album.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9390 on: May 15, 2019, 10:36:18 AM »
Listening to DOT and I’m going to say this is easily their third best album.
wow ok, that's controversial

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9391 on: May 15, 2019, 01:11:33 PM »
At this point I'd rank it as their 3rd best album with MM.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9392 on: May 15, 2019, 04:20:18 PM »
I actually like Another Won quite a bit (great songwriting and great melodies and all that), it may have made sense on WDADU in place of Status Seeker.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9393 on: May 15, 2019, 09:38:05 PM »
I agree with that. Another Won is a great song.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9394 on: May 15, 2019, 10:21:36 PM »
I had never heard Another Won until Score was released and I totally enjoyed it. I am sure I have heard the original version (with much less joy), though I don't know where since I don't own it
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline John II

« Reply #9395 on: May 16, 2019, 03:29:46 AM »
My controversial opinion is that 8vm is 4th or 5th best DT album.
Also, UA is annoying because it was so good, and the rest of D/T was a bit lame.
WfM > D/T
Finally, I used to hate PMU... I got better though (required electroshock therapy)
I lied about the final bit... not DT related but I just can't get King Crimson... ITCotKC is the only album I've heard from them, and it's a good album, but only good. I definitely don't like it enough to go and listen to other KC albums.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #9396 on: May 16, 2019, 08:37:32 AM »
I agree with that. Another Won is a great song.
Yes, a great song :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9397 on: May 16, 2019, 09:23:27 AM »
Is that controversial?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9398 on: May 16, 2019, 09:40:48 AM »
Is that controversial?

I don't think so at all.  I rank I&W, SFAM and SDOIT at the top, followed closely by Awake.  8VA is in the next tier -- not necessarily 5th, but right there.  And, judging from all the recent "tier making," lots of folks have in that range.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #9399 on: May 17, 2019, 03:44:54 PM »
I have to say that, in my opinion, The Astonishing  is their most mature, musically diverse and interesting album, and has every member on their musical prime.
Some say it's a failure, and I couldn't disagree more. I just love every tiny bit of the album, including the lyrics (and yes, that includes the music player section).

Not sure if controversial is the word, but definitely isn't something you read normally.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9400 on: May 17, 2019, 07:35:10 PM »
Not my cup of tea, but nothing wrong with liking Astonishing. But not sure I would call a 2 hour fantasy rock-opera about Lord Nefaryus “mature”.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9401 on: May 17, 2019, 08:29:03 PM »
Not my cup of tea, but nothing wrong with liking Astonishing. But not sure I would call a 2 hour fantasy rock-opera about Lord Nefaryus “mature”.  :lol

Why not?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9402 on: May 17, 2019, 08:50:25 PM »
I freaking LOVE The Astonishing. Sure, it can run a bit long, but there are so many great melodies on this. It's like a classic moment every 30 seconds. I do have an Abridged version of The Astonishing that I'd put up against anything in their catalog. Just the way they "scored" the music first, then added all of the other bits is amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PetFish

« Reply #9403 on: May 17, 2019, 10:03:45 PM »

I guess you're overlooking the entire story of oppression and rebellion all because you don't like the name of one of the characters.

I guess every fantasy rock-opera ever is also immature.

I guess the insane musical effort that JP and JR put into it along with a huge production doesn't mean anything either.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Offline Grizz

« Reply #9404 on: May 17, 2019, 10:33:24 PM »

I guess you're overlooking the entire story of oppression and rebellion all because you don't like the name of one of the characters.

I guess every fantasy rock-opera ever is also immature.

I guess the insane musical effort that JP and JR put into it along with a huge production doesn't mean anything either.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:
Say what you want, the names in that story are distractingly dumb.

So is the rest of the storytelling tbh
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9405 on: May 18, 2019, 02:14:00 AM »
I have to say that, in my opinion, The Astonishing  is their most mature, musically diverse and interesting album, and has every member on their musical prime.
I would question how "musically diverse" it is. One of the problems I have with TA is the fact that so many of the songs seem to start off as piano-based ballads. Besides there being too much dialog between characters, I would say a lack of musical diversity is a big reason why the album ranks lowest in their catalog for me. Many of their other albums are more musically diverse, IMO.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9406 on: May 18, 2019, 05:26:31 AM »

Honest question: do you like Game of Thrones and if so do you think some of the names of the characters in that show are distractingly dumb?  Because JP is a huge fan of that show, and I think it's clear that he chose unusual names in the style of GOT for the Astonishing characters.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9407 on: May 18, 2019, 07:52:23 AM »

Honest question: do you like Game of Thrones and if so do you think some of the names of the characters in that show are distractingly dumb?  Because JP is a huge fan of that show, and I think it's clear that he chose unusual names in the style of GOT for the Astonishing characters.

I think some of the names in The Astonishing aren't 'dumb' but they're close because they're so on the nose. Two of them are biblical in nature - Gabriel (good guy Gabriel, has angelic voice, heart of gold, The Savior), and Faythe (nuff said) - and the villainous nefarious tyrant is named... Nafaryus. Like really.  :lol Big difference between those names and creating entire family trees and ancestry and naming schemes amongst the families (Aemon, Aegon, Daemon, Daenerys, Viserys, Aerys...)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9408 on: May 18, 2019, 09:06:27 AM »
Well, like or not the choice, but Petrucci surely went intentionally for an over the top name. Do you think he came up with the name "Lord Nafaryus" for a villain and was dead serious about it? he obviously accepted that it would have been seen as a cheesy name.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grizz

« Reply #9409 on: May 18, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »

Never watched it. Doesn't really pique my interest.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9410 on: May 18, 2019, 03:56:54 PM »
Never watched it. Doesn't really pique my interest.

Amen, Brother!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #9411 on: May 18, 2019, 08:26:13 PM »
I would question how "musically diverse" it is. One of the problems I have with TA is the fact that so many of the songs seem to start off as piano-based ballads. Besides there being too much dialog between characters, I would say a lack of musical diversity is a big reason why the album ranks lowest in their catalog for me. Many of their other albums are more musically diverse, IMO.

On the bigger picture (pun intended) it may seem that the songs are similar to each other, but the arrangements/instrumentation makes it really diverse, in my opinion. On the top of my head, you have the Tango section on Lord Nafaryus, the Jazz+blast bears section in Three Days, the bagpipes on The X Aspect, the instrumental section on A New Beginning (including the Satriani tribute), the straightforward Metal of Moment Of Betrayal, the mandolin on Hymn Of Thousand voices, the Rock anthem nature of Our New World, the '70s Prog intro on A Life Left Behind...

The only other really diverse album I can think of is SDOIT, which is the most "Proggy" borderline experimental one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9412 on: May 18, 2019, 09:00:48 PM »

I don't know. I mean, the piano is definitely there, but I would say that it's only noticeable because the piano is so criminally absent from the rest of their catalog.

My biggest problem with The Astonishing (and I love it) is that many of the ideas aren't built upon. Feels like every 30 seconds there's an amazing part, and then BAM it's gone.

Honestly I'm trying to think what is more musically diverse. Maybe 8V, but overall, that album stinks. Systematic Chaos? Maybe, but for some reason, that album is universally panned. Train Of Thought? No way!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #9413 on: May 18, 2019, 10:23:01 PM »
It's a new level of pop-tart shallow when DT fans dismiss the music simply because of the names of some fictional characters.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #9414 on: May 18, 2019, 11:38:21 PM »
It's a new level of pop-tart shallow when DT fans dismiss the music simply because of the names of some fictional characters.

Devil's advocate: Volante99 didn't dismiss the music, he just used it as an example of how he doesn't find the music "mature".

ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。