Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979612 times)

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #8260 on: May 30, 2018, 05:32:46 AM »
Of the ones I listened to
I&W: Wait for Sleep
Awake: Lifting Shadows Off a Dream
FII: Just Let Me Breathe
SFaM: Regression
SDoiT: Losing Time/Grand Finale
ToT: Vacant
8VM: I Walk Beside You
SC: Forsaken
BC&SL: A Rite of Passage
Self titled: Illumination Theory

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #8261 on: June 15, 2018, 11:57:31 PM »
Not songs I dislike per say, just the ones I like the least.

I&W: Another Day
Awake: Lifting Shadows Off a Dream
FII: Just Let Me Breathe
SFaM: Through My Words
SDoiT: Goodnight Kiss
ToT: This Dying Soul
SC: Ministry of Lost Souls
ADTOE: Build Me Up, Break Me Down
Self titled: The Enemy Inside
TA: A New Beginning
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:52:43 AM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #8262 on: June 16, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »
WDADU: The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
IAW: Wait For Sleep
Awake: The Silent Man
FII: Anna Lee
MP2 SFAM: Through My Words
SDOIT: Goodnight Kiss
TOT: This Dying Soul
SC: Prophets of War
ADTOE: Far From Heaven
DT12: Behind The Veil
TA: The NOMAC tracks

Offline Evai

« Reply #8263 on: June 20, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »
man this thread got boring
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #8264 on: June 20, 2018, 10:19:42 AM »
Wither sucks, A Rite of Passage sucks, Shattered Fortress sucks, Black Clouds just sucks.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8265 on: June 20, 2018, 12:33:21 PM »
Wither sucks, A Rite of Passage sucks, Shattered Fortress sucks, Black Clouds just sucks.

Definitely not one of their best albums. I like Shattered Fortress, but the other two, I agree. TBOT isn’t too good either, except for the intro and THAT solo, all sections in between... meh, and the lyrics :huh:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8266 on: June 20, 2018, 12:49:57 PM »

Definitely not one of their best albums. I like Shattered Fortress, but the other two, I agree. TBOT isn’t too good either, except for the intro and THAT solo, all sections in between... meh, and the lyrics :huh:

I love TBOT and Count of Tuscany, but yeah, it's absolutely one of my least favorite DT albums. Not really sure what was going on in the studio at that time but wow. Jordan's description of the album going in made me so hyped, maybe that's left a lingering feeling of disappointment in my mind, but 6 months on it was already not aging well for me. Still, some of their best moments are in that album - TBOT solo, the Rush-like beginning of TBOT, the spacey part of The Count... aw yeah.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8267 on: June 20, 2018, 01:02:03 PM »
The Rush-like intro and the solo are the best parts on TBOT, and i love them, but the actual song doesn’t work well for me. It feels like they made it longer and longer just to fit more sentimental lyrics by MP.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Evai

« Reply #8268 on: June 20, 2018, 01:03:23 PM »
I went into BC&SL not expecting much, due to the reviews. But wow, it was so... interesting, right from the start! A Nightmare To Remember just crushes, Rite of Passage was really cool with the mixolydian thing with the pop chorus, Wither being a different kind of ballad, TSF being an EPIC finale with awesome callbacks, TBOT getting you right in the feels, TCOT just being amazing and experimental  :heart :heart :heart :heart

Then week later I listened to ADToA for the first time and was bored to tears by the generic prog metal-by-the-numbers, every song being the same (I have a higher opinion of it now! But at the time...)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8269 on: June 20, 2018, 02:08:56 PM »

ok... :lol :rollin :lol  but I'll take those songs over the last two albums any day. :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8270 on: June 20, 2018, 02:46:59 PM »
I didn’t really care for BCSL when it first came out but I’ve teally come to enjoy it. J think the weakest track is TBOT. I don’t get all the gushing for the solo and song in general. It is definitely a nice sentiment to MPs Dad though.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8271 on: June 20, 2018, 03:02:22 PM »
^ Agreed.  However, the solo is the best part of the song, I think.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8272 on: June 20, 2018, 03:04:24 PM »
But Squidward... that solo is a universal good. No one is immune to its tasty licks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8273 on: June 20, 2018, 03:05:03 PM »
The Best Of Times is a Top 15 DT track for me..definitely Top 20. I think it's all the way around amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8274 on: June 20, 2018, 03:45:26 PM »
Nice Tim.  :tup

I'll say a few more things about BC&SL.  Wither is great.  I also like ARoP.  Beautiful agony is probably one of the best DT passages ever.  Although, the cookie monster vocals in ANTR are borderline cringe worthy.  The only part of the album I don't like at all.  TCoT is an awesome closer.

Offline DTA

« Reply #8275 on: June 20, 2018, 06:33:34 PM »
The songs are just too damn bloated on BC&SL except Wither (which is perfect and one of the best DT ballads IMO). This is a common complaint of mine about post-SFAM MP-era DT...too much unnecessary padding to make very long songs for whatever reason. I don't think there's a single song over 10 minutes in this period that I don't feel like goes on too long. I can't say that about any pre-6DOIT or MM-era song.

-Nightmare could lose a solid 6 minutes and be a great song. Too much noodling and repetition after the Beautiful Agony section and the growling part is the dumbest thing this band has ever done.

-A Rite of Passage's solo section is mind-numbingly boring. Just endless key & guitar solos trading off. The main riff and chorus is cool but the entire middle section could be wiped out and you'd be left with a great 5 minute prog-metal song.

-Shattered Fortress is probably my favorite of the 12 Step songs but the intro lasts way too long. The rest of the parts feel like they last an appropriate length so this one doesn't bother me. This is not a suite by the way. It's just 5 songs that share a few themes. I dislike how it's been retconned into being viewed as one coherent epic.

-The Best Of Times. I get that the sentiment of the lyrics is really personal, but I just cannot get over how juvenile they are. Sometimes simpler is better when discussing such heavy topics, but compare that to a song like Disappear, which has simple, beautiful lyrics that also deal with loss and the difference in quality is immense. I hate to be down on MP's lyrics for that song, but I think he could've done better. Also, the song is too fucking long. I could easily lose a few minutes of it.

-Tuscany. Worst concept and lyrics for an epic aside, the music is really cool. The ambient section doesn't really do much for me and could be shortened or made into something a bit more lively, but nothing really feels wasted on this one. I think there's a unnecessary 0:45 silent outro on this one which bugs me because it only serves to make the song longer for absolutely no reason.

In short, this album is probably their worst alongside Octavarium. WDADU and FII always seem to rank lower than this one, but they're light-years ahead in every single aspect (except maybe production in WDADU's case).

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8276 on: June 20, 2018, 08:57:50 PM »
This thread just got me wanting to listen to Black Clouds. It has been a long while since I last listened to the album. The only song I end up listening to is TCOT.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8277 on: June 21, 2018, 01:05:50 AM »
DTA, I more or less agree with you. I still enjoy Black Clouds by the way, and whenever I am in Tuscany the song is a mandatory listening (I can assure you that they totally and completely nailed the atmosphere on that song), but I agree that the songs could have been constructed better.

That was the job of a producer, an external producer expert on songwriting could have offered a solution on how to work better the second half of A Nightmare to Remember, it's perfect until the Beautiful Agony section, then it just loses the plot.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #8278 on: June 21, 2018, 02:13:45 AM »
My controversial opinion on DT: They still make good music.

Every music site I go to everyone is saying they suck and they haven’t made a decent album since Portnoy left and they should stop making music.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8279 on: June 21, 2018, 07:15:52 AM »

Every music site I go to everyone is saying they suck and they haven’t made a decent album since Portnoy left and they should stop making music.

Preach!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #8280 on: June 21, 2018, 07:20:01 AM »

You should probably find some different music sites to go to then  :lol

I'd take the last three albums with MM over the last couple we got with MP.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #8281 on: June 21, 2018, 07:23:28 AM »

Preach!

I'll say GREAT music.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8282 on: June 21, 2018, 01:20:52 PM »
The songs are just too damn bloated on BC&SL except Wither (which is perfect and one of the best DT ballads IMO). This is a common complaint of mine about post-SFAM MP-era DT...too much unnecessary padding to make very long songs for whatever reason. I don't think there's a single song over 10 minutes in this period that I don't feel like goes on too long. I can't say that about any pre-6DOIT or MM-era song.

Agree with your opinion about Wither.  For me, SDOIT was the peak of DT's epicness.  I felt the only unnecessary thing on that album was the ending of Misunderstood.  As far as MM era songs being too long, Illumination Theory comes to mind.  It's not only too long, I could've done without the entire song.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #8283 on: June 21, 2018, 06:34:09 PM »
I love Illumination Theory, and most of Black Clouds.  (Even though I do consider Black Clouds one of the weaker albums in their catalogue). 

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8284 on: July 01, 2018, 08:14:16 PM »
Definitely not one of their best albums. I like Shattered Fortress, but the other two, I agree.
I don't know how controversial is this: While The Shattered Fortress isn't by any means in my least favorite DT song it might probably be the most disappointing song they've ever released for me. I guess it comes down to expectations: While I did expect some nods to the previous steps I also expected something bigger, newer, in line with the previous songs of the suite. What I felt I got was a clip show of the best moments of the previous songs with James singing woooah wooooah woooooooooah uninspiredly at the end.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8285 on: July 01, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »
Definitely not one of their best albums. I like Shattered Fortress, but the other two, I agree.
I don't know how controversial is this: While The Shattered Fortress isn't by any means in my least favorite DT song it might probably be the most disappointing song they've ever released for me. I guess it comes down to expectations: While I did expect some nods to the previous steps I also expected something bigger, newer, in line with the previous songs of the suite. What I felt I got was a clip show of the best moments of the previous songs with James singing woooah wooooah woooooooooah uninspiredly at the end.

This might be controversial, but Black Clouds is, to me, their most disappointing album (not the worst, though).

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #8286 on: July 01, 2018, 11:26:34 PM »
I'm sure I've said this many times, but I absolutely love BC&SL. Personally, it's in my top 3 DT albums. :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #8287 on: July 01, 2018, 11:28:40 PM »
Lyrically BC&SL is garbage, but musically it’s awesome.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #8288 on: July 02, 2018, 03:25:08 AM »
Yeah BC&SL is a rollercoaster. The highs are so damn high and the lows so low (damn that final part of otherwise brilliant ANTR). However overall I really like it. When those good moments hit it's just fantastic.

I kinda like the "juvenile" lyrics of the album. It's stupidly simple at times but in a fitting way. I easily transport myself to quite dreamlike scenarios when listening to the album which I love. They paint with colorful, varied and big brushes on this album, something only maybe parts of Systematic Chaos have done before. Awake would be the opposite where it's all dark, philosophical and more poetic. If Awake (which I do love) is that indie movie about being alone in a dark room caught by depression BC&SL is that grand adventure movie flawed by a cliché story but where you easily gets drawn to the wonderful scenarios being shown there.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8289 on: July 02, 2018, 03:53:56 AM »
BC&SL is one of my favorite albums.

ANTR is in my all time top 3 DT songs.

ARoP is great for what it is.

Wither is a nice little breath-catcher.

The Shattered Fortress is criminally underrated because of the cut/paste of the other AA songs, but that's what you want out of a finale.. they did great.

TBoT is also underrated. Awesome from start to stop, especially the slower piano parts.

The Count of Tuscany is a beast of the song. I don't particular care for the lyrics, but if that's my only gripe about the album, then it's a great album! 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8290 on: July 02, 2018, 04:15:02 AM »
What I like about The Best of Times is how it starts slow and melanchonic, making you expect a somber ballad especially if you already know what it's about, and then that powerful and uplifting rhytm, with a totally Images-and-word-esque vibe, kicks in. It put a giant smile on my face first time I heard it.

And I know I've already said in the past but listening The Count of Tuscany while in Tuscany is a wonderful experience. Petrucci completely NAILED the atmosphere of the tuscan landscapes!

And Wither is wonderful.

(Also, since I'm at it: A Rite of Passage has a very nice chorus but a copy and paste solo section, and A Nighmare to Remember is flawless until the end of the Beautiful Agony section but then loses the plot. An external producer would have helped them to make the song's second half more focused)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #8291 on: July 02, 2018, 04:36:48 AM »
Here's a controversial one; I only reliably pick up 90's albums when I want to listen to DT. The rest, while good albums, have not shown the same staying power for me. I'll enjoy them if I listen to them, but I rarely actively do.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8292 on: July 02, 2018, 07:40:07 AM »
One of the reasons I love TBOT so much is that even if you remove the lyrics the rest of the music tells a beautiful story on its own. The Rush-like bit after the beginning absolutely nails the 'spiraling back in time' feel and then it kicks right into the happy vibes with the start of the story, and gradually becomes more pensive and sorrowful. By the end if I'm in the right mood I'm a blubbering mess, which is why I don't listen to it much anymore outside of the solo section. Amazing song.

Offline Valor

« Reply #8293 on: July 18, 2018, 02:24:34 PM »
BCASL is the worst DT album and self titled is in the top 5 best

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8294 on: July 18, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »
SC would like a word with you.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."