Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 980047 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #8190 on: April 16, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »
Was anyone complaining about the nomac tracks?

People have expressed discontent with them before but I think they're great and were even better live
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8191 on: April 16, 2018, 09:40:47 AM »
If anything I think the NOMAC tracks were a lost opportunity. They're cool, but really could have been more. Instead of tiny little interludes, I wish they just went full electronic/industrial for an instrumental track or two. Ah well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #8192 on: April 16, 2018, 11:29:20 AM »
As a non TA fan i have to say i liked the Nomac tracks and some more of that action would be welcome.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #8193 on: April 16, 2018, 05:49:24 PM »
If anything I think the NOMAC tracks were a lost opportunity. They're cool, but really could have been more. Instead of tiny little interludes, I wish they just went full electronic/industrial for an instrumental track or two. Ah well.

Definitely. They really missed the ball with them.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #8194 on: April 16, 2018, 05:56:54 PM »
Count me in as someone who didn't like the NOMAC tracks. They're a cool idea, but they ultimately get lost in the sea of filler for me & they don't really serve much purpose, conceptually or musically.

Also, On The Run is great, fite me.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8195 on: April 16, 2018, 05:59:33 PM »
Count me in as someone who didn't like the NOMAC tracks. They're a cool idea, but they ultimately get lost in the sea of filler for me & they don't really serve much purpose, conceptually or musically.

Agreed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #8196 on: April 16, 2018, 10:48:47 PM »
No way.  They totally have a purpose in the concept.  And I like them musically as well.  Live, they're even better.  And now that I've seen it live, I think about their place in the show, the visuals, Mangini revealed behind the kit after one of the nomac blasts... Good stuff.  And as someone said on mp.com, you could feel the nomac tracks rattling your bones, or something like that.  Very much a part of the concept.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8197 on: April 17, 2018, 08:33:22 AM »
To me, The Astonishing is definitely an "album" experience.  Although there are some standout tracks that might be fun on their own, and although you could definitely make different "abridged versions" of the album, just listening to the entire thing as it unfolds from track to track is a very cool experience.  And, to me, that includes the NOMAC tracks.  On their own, they don't really do much and are hard to relate to because they are a-musical and essentially just noise.  But that fits within the flow of the album.  The problem is that I think most of us rarely have the time to listen through the whole thing and just let it wash over us.  The length and scope of the album just don't lend themselves to that, ironically.  I feel fortunate that I have an opportunity a couple of times a week when I am on my long bike rides to listen to it like that and get the whole experience.  And while I could have created a playlist to skip the NOMAC tracks, I find that keeping them in adds to the experience.  But if you don't have time to do that, or if you just don't really like the album, I can see the NOMAC tracks being pretty pointless.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8198 on: April 17, 2018, 08:46:04 AM »

That was my hope when they announced the overall plot of the album and when I saw the track listing. I really hoped there would be one or two songs that would pit JP against JR musically. After all TA had the angle of electronic music vs "natural" music that were fighting against each other.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8199 on: April 17, 2018, 08:55:36 AM »

That was my hope when they announced the overall plot of the album and when I saw the track listing. I really hoped there would be one or two songs that would pit JP against JR musically. After all TA had the angle of electronic music vs "natural" music that were fighting against each other.

Actually, I think that would've been a great idea.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evai

« Reply #8200 on: April 17, 2018, 12:38:35 PM »

The loop doesn't even last a whole second. Which means you have to hear the same thing 216 times. I'd rather listen to Herman Li play the pacman sound 216 times

[/fiting]
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8201 on: April 17, 2018, 01:18:35 PM »

The loop doesn't even last a whole second. Which means you have to hear the same thing 216 times. I'd rather listen to Herman Li play the pacman sound 216 times

[/fiting]

:corn
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8202 on: April 19, 2018, 03:55:25 PM »
If Dark Side Of The Moon can have 4 minutes of some bullshit 3 second keyboard loop and be regarded as great, ain't nobody should complain about no Nomac tracks

Yeah, but DSOTM is great and also doesn't have Nomac tracks.  What's the big mystery? :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #8203 on: April 20, 2018, 02:24:57 PM »

[/fiting]
So anything that maintains a rhythm, a loop, or an atmosphere for more than a certain time is garbage? Zeuhl, post-rock, doom metal/rock, stoner metal/rock, pop, industrial, experimental, well.. any genre actually. Take the one note solo of King Crimson's "Starless", for example. Is that garbage too?  ::)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8204 on: April 20, 2018, 04:50:59 PM »
If your question is whether zeuhl, post-rock, or stoner metal/rock are garbage...I'm confused that you apparently think "yes" is the wrong answer.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8205 on: April 20, 2018, 05:20:31 PM »
If your question is whether zeuhl, post-rock, or stoner metal/rock are garbage...I'm confused that you apparently think "yes" is the wrong answer.

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #8206 on: May 13, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »
Take away my pain is their worst song.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #8207 on: May 14, 2018, 01:34:10 AM »
Take away my pain is their worst song.

:iagree:

actually, fuck it, bottom 5:
#1. Take Away My Pain
#2. 2 Far
#3. Hollow Years
#4. Anna Lee
#5. Outcry

...i really don't like FII  :\
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8208 on: May 14, 2018, 10:47:52 AM »
WTF guys, TAMP is probably their best ballad.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8209 on: May 14, 2018, 11:06:55 AM »
Yeah, I don't get it either rumbo. I was going to say something but we've gone over it so many times over the years that it seems pointless.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8210 on: May 14, 2018, 11:11:13 AM »
TAMP is good. The Once in a Livetime version or whatever is better. I really love that version so much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8211 on: May 14, 2018, 11:14:41 AM »
TAMP is freaking awesome
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8212 on: May 14, 2018, 11:42:58 AM »
I wish Speak to Me was on the album instead of Take Away My Pain
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8213 on: May 14, 2018, 12:23:33 PM »
Disappear is probably their best ballad.
Fixed that for ya Rumby!   ;)

TAMP is OK, but definitely towards the bottom of DT's catalog for me. While the message behind the song is heartfelt, which I can appreciate, overall it doesn't do much for me. I prefer the original demo version over the FII version and not because of MP - I had a copy of the first Fix for 96 show long before FII was released, so that's the one I became accustomed to.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8214 on: May 14, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »
Does Trial of Tears count as a ballad? I've seen some people do that. If so that would easily be the #1 DT ballad to me. If not, Space-Dye Vest, Lifting Shadows, Disappear, Vacant, Beneath the Surface... screw it, I think every DT ballad rules.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8215 on: May 14, 2018, 12:40:36 PM »
:lol On what planet is Trial of Tears a ballad?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8216 on: May 14, 2018, 12:47:57 PM »
:lol On what planet is Trial of Tears a ballad?

Hey, I'm not saying it is, but I've heard the argument. :lol Usually it's because of the 'softness' of the song, from conversations I've had with others; the spacey section, the sorrowful chorus, all that. I can kind of see it, although it's not really one I pick when thinking of proper ballads.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8217 on: May 14, 2018, 02:26:03 PM »
Burning My Soul is their worst
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #8218 on: May 14, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
With the exception of Learning To Live by John Myung, James LaBrie is the best lyricist among others. It's a crime he hadn't written more lyrics so far.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8219 on: May 14, 2018, 05:42:46 PM »
Yeah, so we can hear "conscience fading" in like a dozen more songs.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #8220 on: May 14, 2018, 06:16:08 PM »

That line appears in two sets of Labrie’s lyrics for Dream Theater: Vacant and Medicate (Awakening). Both happen to be about someone being in a coma so the line is fitting. With that said, I don’t listen to his solo projects, so I don’t know if that line appears in any other songs.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #8221 on: May 14, 2018, 11:18:11 PM »

Oh. My. God.

I love BMS. Except the awful live version from wacken a few years ago.

TAMP... Innocence faded... Through her eyes. Lifting shadows. All suck.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8222 on: May 15, 2018, 01:01:39 AM »

Oh. My. God.

I love BMS. Except the awful live version from wacken a few years ago.

TAMP... Innocence faded... Through her eyes. Lifting shadows. All suck.

Innocence Faded is a top 10 DT track for me, Lifting Shadows a top 25 :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8223 on: May 15, 2018, 01:02:51 AM »

Can't be much worse than reaching the water's edge every single album.

;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8224 on: May 15, 2018, 01:28:20 AM »
:lol
Squ