Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979310 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #7560 on: March 22, 2017, 09:07:37 PM »
With the exception of MP. That was some weird look.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7561 on: March 22, 2017, 09:13:48 PM »
I think you're thinking of JP's Dave Navarro look which came later. Unless you think a short-haired JP is weird.  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7562 on: March 23, 2017, 02:02:45 AM »
I'm actually undecided on which era is James Myung's best look.

It's a tie between FII era and SFAM era and Six Degrees era and Mangini era.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7563 on: March 23, 2017, 06:56:30 AM »
I'm actually undecided on which era is James Myung's best look.

It's a tie between FII era and SFAM era and Six Degrees era and Mangini era.

"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7564 on: March 26, 2017, 04:11:00 AM »
1:24 - 1:31 in Surrender to Reason.

i've never been a fan of long riffs where you're not sure where the 1 is.

Or riffs that would sound fine in 4/4 but they drop or add a crotchet - just to be "more prog".

I remember fighting to have a riff in 4/4 in my old band because we were against 4/4 unless the riff sounded better that way.

It did.

Offline emtee

« Reply #7565 on: March 27, 2017, 09:19:09 AM »
Not sure where else to post this...total speculation and gut feeling on my part but I think a BIG change is coming to DT within 1 year.

A member change that isn't MP related.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7566 on: March 27, 2017, 09:24:06 AM »
Honestly if I should speculate I could only see Jordan Rudess saying "I'm old, bye" (but he's active and passionate as ever) or Mangini leaving because of personal reasons. Can't see the "founding members" (James isn't but he's been there so long that he basically is) giving up.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7567 on: March 27, 2017, 09:30:03 AM »
Well, there's not reason right now to assume ANYBODY is leaving within a year.  And since they are planning on being on the I&W tour the rest of this year and then going into the studio to work up the ideas they have already come up with for the next album, I would say it is highly unlikely.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7568 on: March 27, 2017, 09:48:41 AM »
1:24 - 1:31 in Surrender to Reason.

i've never been a fan of long riffs where you're not sure where the 1 is.

Or riffs that would sound fine in 4/4 but they drop or add a crotchet - just to be "more prog".

I remember fighting to have a riff in 4/4 in my old band because we were against 4/4 unless the riff sounded better that way.

It did.

So you don't like the intro to Breaking All Illusions?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7569 on: March 27, 2017, 09:52:14 AM »
Well at least you can feel the pulse in that one.

But It's another example.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7570 on: March 27, 2017, 09:53:55 AM »
Not sure where else to post this...total speculation and gut feeling on my part but I think a BIG change is coming to DT within 1 year.

Yeah Jordan is the only one I can see quitting due to age reasons ( he is over 60 after all ).

I think if something happened to James where he couldn't sing anymore - they may just call it a day as Dream Theater.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7571 on: March 27, 2017, 11:21:33 AM »
I think you guys are all forgetting about JM's bass tech.

Dude seems really unhappy with the band since MP left.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #7572 on: March 27, 2017, 04:37:54 PM »

Yeah Jordan is the only one I can see quitting due to age reasons ( he is over 60 after all ).

I think if something happened to James where he couldn't sing anymore - they may just call it a day as Dream Theater.

I kinda feel like if any member decides to bail/retire then the band might not go on.

They wouldn't continue without James. Or Jordan.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7573 on: March 27, 2017, 05:57:10 PM »
They could continue without Jordan.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7574 on: March 27, 2017, 08:06:41 PM »
I personally think James will, if anybody, be the first to call it. The other guys can adjust, e.g. Jordan could start using a stool behind him like so many other keyboard players. The vocals are the ones that you can't work around.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7575 on: March 28, 2017, 02:57:59 AM »
I personally think James will, if anybody, be the first to call it. The other guys can adjust, e.g. Jordan could start using a stool behind him like so many other keyboard players. The vocals are the ones that you can't work around.

JLB already has to a degree, with the band tuning down and modifying melodies.
I do agree it's much harder for the vocalist to get away with these things though, being so upfront and prominent, and it's also the most important impression on the audience. Most people won't notice if the guitarist is slowing down a bit and fumbling occasionally, but if the singer isn't hitting the notes, it affects the whole show.

Back to the point of discussion though, I don't see anyone leaving the band in the near future. To me that's just bored housewife prog fan talk.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7576 on: March 28, 2017, 04:51:11 AM »
I agree with you Blob, I think this iteration of DT is probably going to be the one to the end.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7577 on: April 03, 2017, 02:41:46 PM »
Not sure where to put this, but I just saw on Bravewords that JP is showing off his new signature guitar, and I'm thinking who f'n cares? Is this a big deal to anyone?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7578 on: April 03, 2017, 02:46:37 PM »
Not sure where to put this, but I just saw on Bravewords that JP is showing off his new signature guitar, and I'm thinking who f'n cares? Is this a big deal to anyone?

I think it definitely is, I read somewhere that JP's signature guitar line is the best selling artist line of guitars ever, unless you count Les Pauls. So clearly a lot of people look to buy guitars from his line and would probably care about something like that.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #7579 on: April 03, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »
I agree with you Blob, I think this iteration of DT is probably going to be the one to the end.

Oh I agree 100%. No way they want to go through another major member change after MP left.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7580 on: April 03, 2017, 02:59:20 PM »

I think it definitely is, I read somewhere that JP's signature guitar line is the best selling artist line of guitars ever, unless you count Les Pauls. So clearly a lot of people look to buy guitars from his line and would probably care about something like that.

Well, that's cool. I suppose it's just me. :D I totally roll my eyes when I see announcements like this.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7581 on: April 03, 2017, 03:52:11 PM »
The video was totally over the top though, I agree. "We created the best instrument in the world" :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7582 on: April 03, 2017, 05:08:44 PM »
The video was totally over the top though, I agree. "We created the best instrument in the world" :lol
I think PRS makes the best looking guitars ever, and they play and sound very good!  I've never played a JP signature guitar though, wish I could afford one. I'd definitely check it out..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7583 on: April 03, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
I think JP was saying that GUITAR is the best instrument in the world. Not his line specifically.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7584 on: April 04, 2017, 07:25:25 AM »

Well, that's cool. I suppose it's just me. :D I totally roll my eyes when I see announcements like this.
:facepalm:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7585 on: April 04, 2017, 10:26:15 AM »

If his guitar doesn't interest you, that response make sense. I'm just saying lots of people buy those guitars, so to them it probably is a big deal.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7586 on: April 04, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »
Yeah. When I go on a metal news site and I see a pic of JP or any of the guys, I'm thinking news, tour dates, interview. Then it ends up being just a guitar.  ;D

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7587 on: April 05, 2017, 03:01:04 PM »
Being an owner of one (copper fire version of the first edition with the etched shield), I can say without a doubt that it's the most comfortable and precise electric I have... and honestly, you could plug it into a tin-can  with string and it would sound amazing.  Smooth as an aged Remy Martin XO (the guitar, not my playing  ;))

But, you do pay for it.  By far the most expensive purchase for me personally... yes it is worth it.

I was excited to see his new line... I'm happy for JP to be this space with Ernie Ball and Mesa.  He deserves it I think... one of the nicest pro musicians I've met.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7588 on: April 05, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »
I do wonder if JP had planned to do a concept album for album 13 seeing as it is 8+5.

Also interesting that album 5 is a concept album and album 8 is significantly more straightforward and less technical and has orbs on the cover....

It does seem an odd coincidence.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7589 on: April 06, 2017, 01:03:14 AM »
I believe it's just a coincidence. The idea of another concept album was always in the back of their minds, and probably hadn't Portnoy left DT11 with him would have been a concept.

Once they've lost Portnoy they had to re-learn to walk before flying so to speak, so they had to re-estabilish the band in a sense before doing something so out of the box.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7590 on: April 06, 2017, 08:23:26 PM »
I do wonder if JP had planned to do a concept album for album 13 seeing as it is 8+5.

Also interesting that album 5 is a concept album and album 8 is significantly more straightforward and less technical and has orbs on the cover....

It does seem an odd coincidence.

I believe it's just a coincidence. The idea of another concept album was always in the back of their minds, and probably hadn't Portnoy left DT11 with him would have been a concept.

Once they've lost Portnoy they had to re-learn to walk before flying so to speak, so they had to re-estabilish the band in a sense before doing something so out of the box.

The funny thing about this is that the post-Portnoy albums really feels like retracing their path in the early years:

ADTOE is going back to the basics of what made I&W successful
DT is like jamming it out but with the intention to come up with more compact songs ala Awake.
Then TA is like FII-SFAM (SFAM is part of the FII demos, right?) but without the label interference.

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #7591 on: April 06, 2017, 10:20:31 PM »
This is ten times better than the original song:  :metal

https://youtu.be/Qa_4XODIPlA

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7592 on: April 07, 2017, 02:02:36 AM »

ADTOE is going back to the basics of what made I&W successful
DT is like jamming it out but with the intention to come up with more compact songs ala Awake.
Then TA is like FII-SFAM (SFAM is part of the FII demos, right?) but without the label interference.

Then DT14 will be another double album :P

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7593 on: April 07, 2017, 03:10:11 AM »
I am thinking more of an experimental album in terms of getting contemporary influences. :p Although I don't know if they will take the risk given that they already gambled with TA.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #7594 on: April 07, 2017, 04:32:59 AM »
I am thinking more of an experimental album in terms of getting contemporary influences. :p Although I don't know if they will take the risk given that they already gambled with TA.

Yeah, something a little more experimental would be interesting, but I can see them going back to safer territory for the next one.

I wouldn't really be too keen for an all-out heavy album, though. I really hope they keep some of the melodic direction they were going for with TA. One slight frustration with TA is that some of the cooler melodic parts were over all too soon.