Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979497 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #7350 on: March 18, 2016, 12:12:05 AM »
TA is the first DT album of which I'll make sure there's no one around when (if ever) I'm putting it on. It's just too embarrasing, I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face when JLB sings 'people just don't have the time for music anymore'. And that's not even the cheesiest moment, far from it.

They said in an interview that they wanted to come with an album of short songs because people don't have the time to listen to long songs. So that is what they've done.
so instead they made a 2+ hour album that people who like listening to whole albums will never have the time to listen to???

I don't know what interview red barchetta is referring to, but I read an interview that says the opposite. They purposely made a two-hour rock opera to FORCE people to listen to a whole album instead of a bunch of individual songs.

Edit: ok, found the interview:

https://rocksverige.se/intervju-john-petrucci-fran-dream-theater/

Excerpts:

"The new album (The Astonishing) is quite the challenge to listen to all the way through. I´m thinking these days with everybody having ADD and people can hardly focus on anything beyond 3 minutes. What´s your thought on that?

John: I knew that for sure, exactly what you´re hitting on. First of all, this whole thing was written to be a show and that´s why it´s so long. If we were just doing a concept album, like “Metropolis part 2: Scenes from a memory” (1999), it could´ve been an hour or something like that, but what we wanted to do, is write a standalone show, like we´re performing tonight. If you go to a Broadway show or an opera or something, you´re gonna be there for over two hours, so we couldn´t just write an hour long thing. Basically we wrote two albums worth of material, so that´s number one. Doing that, we knew it would be a challenge. It´s the same thing as watching “Lord of the rings”, you have to put the time aside. The thing that is funny to me, is that there is this underlying theme in the concept about the importance of music and the power of music and also people not having the time for music. I think it´s kinda ironic that you actually have to make the time to listen to it. (laughs)"

Listening to the album, you really get the feel of a movie going along with it. Any plans for something like that?

John: Right. When we first started thinking about this, again, it wasn´t that we were just writing an album, we wanted to write something that would cross different medias and could be whatever we imagined it to be and I was always so impressed with rock musicals like “Jesus Christ Superstar”, “Tommy” or “American idiot” and it was like “We´re like the perfect band to do something like this. We´re called Dream Theater.” Doing that, is a goal that´s on the horizon. Being able to score a movie is something that people have always said, “You guys should score a movie.”, but we never did, so it´s kinda like we scored our own thing. To have that turn into something visual like a movie would be awesome. Some of the things that are already in development, are a videogame, which it is perfect for, and a novelization, which we haven´t announced officially, but we´re in talks with that. We´re taking the steps to get there and hopefully it will turn into this other thing.

How do you feel about the way music has changed and the way people listen to music today? You were there when bands sold records and now it´s so different.

John: There are two ways to look at it. Back in the day, just for example of having commercial success and charting or whatever, so many records were sold, so the pop artists kinda took over with that stuff. You couldn´t even compete, because they were selling millions of records. Now there are so many less physical sales of cd´s and records, that for a band like ours which such a powerful worldwide audience, we are actually able to compete and we don´t have to sell a million records to chart in top 10, so it´s pretty crazy when you look at that. The thing is, and again it´s the underlying message with this album, music is being consumed in more of a passive way. With streaming and downloading it´s just too easy to kind of make it some background thing, so the idea that we wrote something that almost forces you to have to sit down and listen to it, we used to do that and we base a lot on our own experiences. As teenagers we used to listen to entire Rush albums, entire Pink Floyd albums and shut down the lights and it was great. It was not like today when you listen to a song for 30 seconds."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 12:59:58 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7351 on: March 18, 2016, 05:37:58 AM »
What the fans can or cannot do should have no bearing on anything when a band is writing and recording a new album.  If some fans think it is too long to listen to, that is their problem, not theirs, and it says nothing about the quality of the album.  That is why I am chuckling at most bad reviews of the album; the vast majority are by people who say they listened to it once or twice, or even some cases, not even once.  It's hard to take seriously the opinion of anyone who doesn't put in the time to listen to an album that requires time and dedication to get a good grasp of it.  If someone is not a DT fan, I can see not taking the time (har has ;)), but if you are an existing fan, and you chucked it after one or two listens, then you probably aren't much of a fan to begin with.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
« Reply #7352 on: March 18, 2016, 06:05:10 AM »
I will be honest. When i first heard "The Astonishing"... i didn't really take to it.. felt it was lacking the DT flavour it needed... too much piano and not enough soul... but after seeing them in London my entire perspective changed.. seeing the story for what it was on the screen was great.. and now im constently listening.... lots tried to dig and bury it cause they wanted different.. past DT.. But when you follow the story and actually gove it a chance... you will be Astonished
Solo Album in the making.....

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7353 on: March 18, 2016, 07:53:04 AM »
I was very "meh" after listen 1, but by listen 3 I was "this is good" and by listen 8 I was  :omg:  It's a lot to digest.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #7354 on: March 18, 2016, 08:18:35 AM »
TA is the first DT album of which I'll make sure there's no one around when (if ever) I'm putting it on. It's just too embarrasing, I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face when JLB sings 'people just don't have the time for music anymore'. And that's not even the cheesiest moment, far from it.

They said in an interview that they wanted to come with an album of short songs because people don't have the time to listen to long songs. So that is what they've done.
so instead they made a 2+ hour album that people who like listening to whole albums will never have the time to listen to???
https://www.yahoo.com/music/dream-theater-live-out-sci-fi-fantasies-with-the-000938042.html

With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7355 on: March 18, 2016, 08:28:08 AM »
Yeah, that interview still says the exact opposite of what you said in your earlier post.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #7356 on: March 18, 2016, 08:40:35 AM »

I don't know what interview red barchetta is referring to, but I read an interview that says the opposite. They purposely made a two-hour rock opera to FORCE people to listen to a whole album instead of a bunch of individual songs.

Edit: ok, found the interview:

https://rocksverige.se/intervju-john-petrucci-fran-dream-theater/

Excerpts:

"The new album (The Astonishing) is quite the challenge to listen to all the way through. I´m thinking these days with everybody having ADD and people can hardly focus on anything beyond 3 minutes. What´s your thought on that?

John: I knew that for sure, exactly what you´re hitting on. First of all, this whole thing was written to be a show and that´s why it´s so long. If we were just doing a concept album, like “Metropolis part 2: Scenes from a memory” (1999), it could´ve been an hour or something like that, but what we wanted to do, is write a standalone show, like we´re performing tonight. If you go to a Broadway show or an opera or something, you´re gonna be there for over two hours, so we couldn´t just write an hour long thing. Basically we wrote two albums worth of material, so that´s number one. Doing that, we knew it would be a challenge. It´s the same thing as watching “Lord of the rings”, you have to put the time aside. The thing that is funny to me, is that there is this underlying theme in the concept about the importance of music and the power of music and also people not having the time for music. I think it´s kinda ironic that you actually have to make the time to listen to it. (laughs)"

Listening to the album, you really get the feel of a movie going along with it. Any plans for something like that?

John: Right. When we first started thinking about this, again, it wasn´t that we were just writing an album, we wanted to write something that would cross different medias and could be whatever we imagined it to be and I was always so impressed with rock musicals like “Jesus Christ Superstar”, “Tommy” or “American idiot” and it was like “We´re like the perfect band to do something like this. We´re called Dream Theater.” Doing that, is a goal that´s on the horizon. Being able to score a movie is something that people have always said, “You guys should score a movie.”, but we never did, so it´s kinda like we scored our own thing. To have that turn into something visual like a movie would be awesome. Some of the things that are already in development, are a videogame, which it is perfect for, and a novelization, which we haven´t announced officially, but we´re in talks with that. We´re taking the steps to get there and hopefully it will turn into this other thing.

How do you feel about the way music has changed and the way people listen to music today? You were there when bands sold records and now it´s so different.

John: There are two ways to look at it. Back in the day, just for example of having commercial success and charting or whatever, so many records were sold, so the pop artists kinda took over with that stuff. You couldn´t even compete, because they were selling millions of records. Now there are so many less physical sales of cd´s and records, that for a band like ours which such a powerful worldwide audience, we are actually able to compete and we don´t have to sell a million records to chart in top 10, so it´s pretty crazy when you look at that. The thing is, and again it´s the underlying message with this album, music is being consumed in more of a passive way. With streaming and downloading it´s just too easy to kind of make it some background thing, so the idea that we wrote something that almost forces you to have to sit down and listen to it, we used to do that and we base a lot on our own experiences. As teenagers we used to listen to entire Rush albums, entire Pink Floyd albums and shut down the lights and it was great. It was not like today when you listen to a song for 30 seconds."

That's what I meant, a lot of short songs but no long ones cause people don't listen to them.

and by all the comments I have read, it's rather non DT fans or non real DT fans cause they don't listen more than a couple of Times the album that are not liking it......

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7357 on: March 18, 2016, 08:50:59 AM »
That's what I meant, a lot of short songs but no long ones cause people don't listen to them.

That is not what that interview says.  It says nothing about writing short songs and no long ones.  It says JP made a decision to write a long album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7358 on: March 18, 2016, 08:58:31 AM »
Besides, most people who follow Dream Theater want the mix of short and long songs.

My favorite songs are the long songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #7359 on: March 18, 2016, 12:09:48 PM »
He clearly said he wanted to write  shorter songs in an interview I read. But who cares anyway.  :facepalm:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7360 on: March 18, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »
Obviously, you care, since you keep posting the same thing despite not being able to find this mystery interview.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #7361 on: March 18, 2016, 12:29:18 PM »
He clearly said he wanted to write  shorter songs in an interview I read. But who cares anyway.  :facepalm:

*types short on the both links*

*no results found*

:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7362 on: March 18, 2016, 12:31:04 PM »
Sure they said they went for shorter songs.  I read that.  It's just not for the reasons you are saying.  That's all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7363 on: March 18, 2016, 07:34:57 PM »
Regarding the tour, how many dollars would it have cost to suspend a few NOMACs from the ceiling?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7364 on: March 18, 2016, 08:10:53 PM »
Yeah, that interview still says the exact opposite of what you said in your earlier post.

Exactly.

“With this album we’re kind of forcing people to make the time, since we’ve made it a two-act album where you have to listen to the whole thing in order to get it. So make some popcorn and grab a beer, and take some time to slow down and take it in. And then realize what went into making it. If more people could do that, then maybe they’d realize how important the arts and artists are in their lives.”

How that translates to "they write shorter songs" is beyond me. The premise is that people do not make time for music, so DT decided to force people to make time to listen to their music by writing a double album that can only be appreciated if listened as a whole.

Closest thing I can find to writing short songs is this quote from Jordan in another interview.

"This album has shorter songs only because it’s trying to tell a story and we wrote as much music as we needed for each scene of that story."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:16:43 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #7365 on: March 18, 2016, 08:50:11 PM »
Sure they said they went for shorter songs.  I read that.  It's just not for the reasons you are saying.  That's all.

well, thanks. I might have taken it the wrong way.  English is not my first langage and reading never been my cup of tea.  Always preferred to talk to English guys I have met around the world. 

Thank you for being open minded. I have tried to find that article.  I only found articles in which Petrucci was saying that they wrote short songs, it suited better their story.  He was also saying that with a concept album he was thinking that it would get people to stick to the story the whole time.  And that today's music in consume rapidly, people listen to 30 seconds a song and switch to the other one.

I'm gonna have to be very careful about what I write.  I don't necessarily follow the current.  I'm an open book.

Haben sie eine frague.  Creo que no.  C'est peine perdue.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7366 on: March 19, 2016, 04:50:30 AM »
Hey, no worries. I speak English and misspell all the time. :lol. True story!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7367 on: March 19, 2016, 09:13:04 AM »
^
Laugh of the day! :D
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7368 on: March 19, 2016, 03:10:52 PM »
Hey, no worries. I speak English and misspell all the time. :lol. True story!

:rollin

I can vouch for this!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #7369 on: March 19, 2016, 03:32:22 PM »
Regarding the tour, how many dollars would it have cost to suspend a few NOMACs from the ceiling?

Well, they probably wanted to but couldn't get them painted in time and shipped from China but they didn't want to delay the concerts so they went ahead with them anyway.

Offline DrumChespi

« Reply #7370 on: March 22, 2016, 12:21:19 PM »
Ok I have onet hat could be interesting. For me, When Your Time Has Come is their best ballad song since they did The Spirit Carries On. (Not counting the melancolic songs like Dissapear)
What do you think?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #7371 on: March 22, 2016, 12:24:33 PM »
Ok I have onet hat could be interesting. For me, When Your Time Has Come is their best ballad song since they did The Spirit Carries On. (Not counting the melancolic songs like Dissapear)
What do you think?

Nah, Act Of Faythe is.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7372 on: March 22, 2016, 12:25:49 PM »
What do you think?

I don't even think that it's the best "ballad" on this disc. I prefer The X Aspect, A Life Left Behind, and Losing Faythe to it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7373 on: March 22, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
What do you think?

I don't even think that it's the best "ballad" on this disc. I prefer The X Aspect, A Life Left Behind, and Losing Faythe to it.

Chosen is the best and maybe the best since TSCO.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #7374 on: March 23, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »
Opinions and all, but I just don't understand this at all.

If you're too embarrassed to listen to a particular type of music, why bother listening to it at all. 

I can understand this.  I've done almost all of my music listening alone, which makes it a bit awkward to listen to bands like DT in, let's say, mixed company.  My wife, for example.  I have subjected her to the entirety of SFAM, ACoS, Octavarium (song), and some of DT's other lengthy songs, but I don't feel the same as when listening by myself.  I'm not sure embarrassment is the right word, though it sometimes feels that way with certain lyric passages, or just lengthy ridiculous instrumental passages and I recoil a bit when I realize this music is not for everyone, as if I am listening to it for the first time through her ears with her tastes and opinions.  After DT, I'll put on something a bit more palatable like Pink Floyd or even Umphrey's McGee.  DT is a band I pretty much listen to alone, or with my one or two friends who are also fans.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #7375 on: March 23, 2016, 03:17:35 PM »
I know that feeling when showing someone DT for the first time and if they're not used to those long instrumentals I get embarrassed not because of music but because of myself, thinking something like: stupid, you should have played some other song :lol
I exposed one of my friends to DT (DT is now his favorite band) and he was only into metal so I played him A Nightmare to Remember and The Glass Prison. He was not ready for so long songs :P Fortunately, he kept listening to them and started to love longer songs, too.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7376 on: March 23, 2016, 03:24:12 PM »
I stopped caring what the person in my car thinks of my music a long time ago.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7377 on: March 24, 2016, 08:54:38 AM »
For me, ADToE ends with Breaking All Illusions. I don't acknowledge Beneath the Surface. Do not enjoy it at all.

I do not listen to Our New World. Totally not what I'm looking for in a DT song.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7378 on: March 24, 2016, 10:12:01 AM »
I do not listen to Our New World. Totally not what I'm looking for in a DT song.

Totally? So in a DT song you are not looking for:

a. A catchy opening riff ala ATC Reprise?
b. An odd 15/8 time signature
c. A beautifully composed JP guitar solo.

;)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7379 on: March 24, 2016, 10:14:58 AM »
For me, ADToE ends with Breaking All Illusions. I don't acknowledge Beneath the Surface. Do not enjoy it at all.

Same here, my alternate TA album ends with My Last Farewell, I think Our New World is okay at best but Hymn and title-track I would skip anyway.
And BTS, well, it's easily my least favorite ADTOE song and possibly bottom 10 of all DT studio album songs.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7380 on: March 24, 2016, 10:23:27 AM »

Totally? So in a DT song you are not looking for:

a. A catchy opening riff ala ATC Reprise?
b. An odd 15/8 time signature
c. A beautifully composed JP guitar solo.

;)

Plenty of other catchy opening riffs, odd time signatures and awesome solos in DT's extensive catalog to make me  not need to tolerate this song.

Same here, my alternate TA album ends with My Last Farewell, I think Our New World is okay at best but Hymn and title-track I would skip anyway.
And BTS, well, it's easily my least favorite ADTOE song and possibly bottom 10 of all DT studio album songs.

:tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7381 on: March 24, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »

Not meant to argue (it's taste, after all), but just by way of comparison, that, basically, has everything I look for in a DT song (except MP, and no, I'm not trying to start something) and nothing I don't. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7382 on: March 24, 2016, 10:40:37 AM »
I personally don't get the love for ONW.  Not a bad song at al, but far from the best on the album for me.  Probably on the lower half if I were to rank the songs.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #7383 on: March 24, 2016, 11:27:22 AM »
I really like ONW, but it's probably my least favourite song on the album. It is perfectly placed though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7384 on: March 24, 2016, 12:22:08 PM »
If a few more people voice their displeasure for ONW, then it will be more controversial to like it.  :lol