Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979383 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #4270 on: March 23, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »
I know DT is made up of musicians, but it still stuns me how poor-quality their non-musical stuff is. I mean, three videos from this album, all of which have been received poorly. And their merchandize situation is not particularly better. I'm seeing them on Tuesday, and as usual I will walk to the merch stand at some point during the concert. I suspect it will end as usual too, with me not liking a single item.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4271 on: March 23, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »
I know DT is made up of musicians, but it still stuns me how poor-quality their non-musical stuff is. I mean, three videos from this album, all of which have been received poorly. And their merchandize situation is not particularly better. I'm seeing them on Tuesday, and as usual I will walk to the merch stand at some point during the concert. I suspect it will end as usual too, with me not liking a single item.
I think their merch is great! They've got some great designs this time around, not the least of which is the new album cover T-Shirt.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4272 on: March 23, 2014, 04:13:34 PM »

Most will not fit me anyway. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4273 on: March 23, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
Frankly, for half of them you could just go to cafepress.com and slap the album cover on the shirt/hoodie of your choice and size.

« Reply #4274 on: March 23, 2014, 04:30:04 PM »
Frankly, for half of them you could just go to cafepress.com and slap the album cover on the shirt/hoodie of your choice and size.

I'm sorry, I don't understand how this differs from every other piece of merch sold by every other band in the world.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #4275 on: March 23, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »
The last time rumby brought this up, he posted a picture of an older DT shirt he really liked... which was just the SDOIT album cover slapped on a white T-shirt.  I've given up trying to understand that particular complaint.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4276 on: March 23, 2014, 04:43:25 PM »
The SDOIT shirt worked because the album cover already was great, and on top they choose a shirt where the color matched nicely with the album color.

« Reply #4277 on: March 23, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »
The SDOIT shirt worked because the album cover already was great, and on top they choose a shirt where the color matched nicely with the album color.

That's a good point. Funny thing is, the new album cover is also great, and putting it on a black T-Shirt makes the color match very nicely!  ;D

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #4278 on: March 23, 2014, 05:27:43 PM »

I think the merch is better this time around (pretty much anything can be better than ADToE's cover on shirts, though), and there's actually more than one item I'd buy. Regarding the videos, I never fully watched The Enemy Inside's because people said the band didn't appear on it at any point, so it wouldn't appeal to my taste. The Looking Glass, I think it's the best video they've done after Wither (I enjoyed the format of that one, but it's just my opinion I think) and I have seen it more than once, which already says something.

In any case, both of those videos have the [OFFICIAL VIDEO] tag, at least on YouTube, whereas Enigma Machine's only says "Dream Theater - Enigma Machine". I don't know if that should be interpreted as the video not being official or something, but I certainly can see a meaning to it. Other than that, I guess it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either and they could've done a lot better, even if they had used Mika's video from the tour.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4279 on: March 23, 2014, 05:53:43 PM »
The video has the RR logo in it, so that makes it official I would say.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4280 on: March 23, 2014, 06:11:48 PM »
My problem with DT (and most band merch) is that everything is on a black t-shirt. If I see anything on a brighter shirt color, there is a really good chance I'll buy it. Black? Eh.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4281 on: March 23, 2014, 06:15:14 PM »
My problem with DT (and most band merch) is that everything is on a black t-shirt. If I see anything on a brighter shirt color, there is a really good chance I'll buy it. Black? Eh.

A BIG +1 to this.   I had a collection of concert tee's going, and really got sick of having **ALL** my T-shirts be black.   Now, when I go to a concert, anything that is NOT black is usually an automatic buy. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4282 on: March 23, 2014, 06:53:44 PM »
That's why I like my Rush shirt. It's a nice red with a cool design on it.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #4283 on: March 23, 2014, 07:01:38 PM »

My most used DT shirt is gray, actually  :lol So I get your point, but I don't complain about the black since it fits with pretty much any other color. Of course, having the shirts be another color certainly makes them more interesting and perhaps somewhat of a rarity.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4284 on: March 23, 2014, 09:14:50 PM »

I'm sorry, I don't understand how this differs from every other piece of merch sold by every other band in the world.

Then you must be into the wrong bands. :lol :P

Let's petition the band for real action figures! :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #4285 on: March 23, 2014, 09:28:07 PM »
I think the t-shirts have improved. Some of them are just odd-- there's one with a diamond or something on it -- but they have a cool graffiti one and a 1-2 more that I would wear. I got the grey one with the band as cartoon characters. I still think that's the best one.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #4286 on: March 23, 2014, 09:29:14 PM »

Then you must be into the wrong bands. :lol :P

Let's petition the band for real action figures! :neverusethis:
Isn't that illegal? I think my school store offers that service now, and I've always contemplated getting a DT hat made at Lids.
And I would buy a Jordan Rudez/James Labrie/Bear Action Figgur in a heartbeat.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4287 on: March 23, 2014, 09:29:56 PM »
IFor the last tour they had one with a green diamond that looked rather Vapor Trailish.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #4288 on: March 24, 2014, 09:08:37 AM »
Yeah I agree a lot with everything that has been said about the merchandise. The black(it's not even dark, it's just black) colour scheme is quite unimaginative and bland. SDOIT - Tshirt sounds pretty awesome, though, I'd love to wear that. Shame that you can't really find them anymore, unless you try to find a fitting T-shirt and print a logo on it.

Some of the hoodies seem quite nice, however. Like one or two of them. Women's shirts also appear to have better designs than men's, or at least featuring more variation.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4289 on: March 24, 2014, 01:49:33 PM »

A BIG +1 to this.   I had a collection of concert tee's going, and really got sick of having **ALL** my T-shirts be black.   Now, when I go to a concert, anything that is NOT black is usually an automatic buy.
They had a great range around the Octavarium tour. I mean, it wasn't like this rainbow of t-shirts, but they had a white one with an octopus, and a grey one with a maze. I think they had a green one the following year - I'm sure my brother's got a green one. Decent selection. Narrower, now, that's true. That said, I got two when I caught them this tour, both black, and I'm happy with both, so - eh. It's not like I'm lacking colour in my wardrobe, and black's pretty decent for t-shirts in general.

I ended up getting a bootleg hoodie from the pavement outside, on the BCSL tour. It was cheap and badass, I regret nothing.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4290 on: March 24, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »
I have that green one! It's a fine shirt. Wasn't there a light blue shirt for the ADTOE tour or something? If not, a sky blue shirt with clouds and the cyclist on the front would've been great. I also wish they'd have more shirts without the band name on them. I'm a fan of more subtle things.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4291 on: March 24, 2014, 02:16:45 PM »
IFor the last tour they had one with a green diamond that looked rather Vapor Trailish.

Breaking All Illusions has the art in the ADTOE liner notes...
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4292 on: March 24, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »
Well, it's Hugh Syme.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #4293 on: March 24, 2014, 10:46:05 PM »
Haha half the bands on bandcamp have better merch than DT. A lot of that stems from pretty weak album art over the years.

Here's another controversial opinion:

This Dying Soul is a seriously underrated song. Not sure why it doesn't get more love from the fans. Behind TGP, it's my second favorite 12 step song. It's extremely heavy but beyond that there is a raw intensity that I feel is kind of lacking on the last few albums since ToT.  Portnoy also completely dominates on drums in the second half of that song.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #4294 on: March 24, 2014, 11:39:29 PM »
I thought fans loved This Dying Soul  :huh:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #4295 on: March 24, 2014, 11:41:41 PM »
I think most people on this forum are probably on the ball with it. It definitely fits into the "typical DT wankery" that so many often complain about.

I love TDS. As Volante said, it's my favorite 12SS song behind TGP. Moments are so incredibly heavy and there's tons of riffage to be had.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4296 on: March 24, 2014, 11:43:36 PM »
Haha half the bands on bandcamp have better merch than DT. A lot of that stems from pretty weak album art over the years.

This Dying Soul is a seriously underrated song. Not sure why it doesn't get more love from the fans. Behind TGP, it's my second favorite 12 step song. It's extremely heavy but beyond that there is a raw intensity that I feel is kind of lacking on the last few albums since ToT.  Portnoy also completely dominates on drums in the second half of that song.

This is pretty much the consensus from the fan base in general. 

I *believe* that in the majority of cases the list of favorites goes...

1. The Glass Prison
2. This Dying Soul
3. The Root of All Evil
4. The Shattered Fortress
5. Repentance

Occasionally, 2 and 3 switch places...and occasionally 4 and 5 will switch places.   But I think this is probably the most common consensus. 

Offline Volante99

« Reply #4297 on: March 25, 2014, 12:13:58 AM »
According to the last poll on this site, This Dying Soul got 4th place ahead of only Repentance, which may have to do with the fact that TGP dominated the poll. Wasn't getting too much love on that thread.

With that said, I feel like TDS is never put up there with the great classic DT songs and I think it should. But I'm a Portnoy fan-boy and think the 12-step suite is one of the band's greatest, if not THE greatest, musical achievements, so take that for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:20:24 AM by Volante99 »

Offline Invisible

« Reply #4298 on: March 25, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
According to the last poll on this site, This Dying Soul got 4th place ahead of only Repentance, which may have to do with the fact that TGP dominated the poll. Wasn't getting too much love on that thread.
If the poll only allowed one vote, then it doesn't reflect on how the song is considered, because for most of the people who voted for TGP This Dying Soul was probably their second option, and that is not reflected on the voting. I think jammingdude is probably right about the general view of the fans, even though my ranking is completely different.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4299 on: March 25, 2014, 09:51:46 AM »

1. The Glass Prison
2. This Dying Soul
3. The Root of All Evil
5. Repentance

Occasionally, 2 and 3 switch places...and occasionally 4 and 5 will switch places.   But I think this is probably the most common consensus.
No, most fans aren't enamored with This Dying Soul.  Most fans here through the years have much preferred TROAE.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4300 on: March 25, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »
Yep, I know a lot of fans aren't overly wild about This Dying Soul, myself included.  It is probably my least favorite 12-step song, the worst song from ToT, and would be in my bottom 15 DT songs ever.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4301 on: March 25, 2014, 10:16:58 AM »

1. The Glass Prison
2. This Dying Soul
3. The Root of All Evil
5. Repentance

No, most fans aren't enamored with This Dying Soul.  Most fans here through the years have much preferred TROAE.

I would put TROE above TDS myself...but that is not the tendency I have seen from the fanbase at large. 

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #4302 on: March 25, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »
This Dying Soul is awful it was the song that made me stop listening to the band for a few years.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4303 on: March 25, 2014, 10:23:10 AM »
This Dying Soul is a great song, although I'd place it 3rd in the 12SS behind TGP, and TROAE. I think the general consensus would be about that same order.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4304 on: March 25, 2014, 10:28:55 AM »
 This is how the 12SS ranks for me currently:

1. The Root of All Evil
2. The Shattered Fortress
3. The Glass Prison
4. This Dying Soul
5. Repentance