Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979357 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #4130 on: March 15, 2014, 10:50:27 AM »
I also hear JR really, really doesn't like salad, but JP orders salad for JR whenever they go to a restaurant, and JR just kind of puts up with it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4131 on: March 15, 2014, 11:37:23 AM »
Jordan made his solo albums sound like DT to capitalize on DT fans and make a lot of money.
OK,  you're either full of shit or you're trolling.  Either way, cut it out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4132 on: March 15, 2014, 11:55:32 AM »
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #4133 on: March 15, 2014, 11:56:42 AM »
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

iPeed when I read that out loud to myself.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4134 on: March 15, 2014, 11:58:38 AM »
On a more serious note, there's a certain aspect where I agree with XBOX. I agree that Jordan's musical ideas are probably not the easiest to integrate. If you listen to his solo stuff and the LMR album, you get a feel for what naturally comes out of him. For that reason I usually find the Jordan sections on DT songs very easy to spot.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4135 on: March 15, 2014, 01:13:40 PM »
Jordan made his solo albums sound like DT to capitalize on DT fans and make a lot of money.
On the Magna Carta label.
choked on my coffee

I also hear JR really, really doesn't like salad, but JP orders salad for JR whenever they go to a restaurant, and JR just kind of puts up with it.
and some more

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #4136 on: March 15, 2014, 01:59:54 PM »

It must have been a Bad Salad.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4137 on: March 15, 2014, 02:33:45 PM »
Always I listen to BMUBMD I think the chorus is missing something. I don't know what but it sounds somehow too raw for my ears.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #4138 on: March 15, 2014, 02:57:26 PM »
That conversation produced some of the best quotes I've ever seen.

Serious note, Enigma Machine is my favourite DT instrumental.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4139 on: March 15, 2014, 05:37:33 PM »
That conversation produced some of the best quotes I've ever seen.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4140 on: March 15, 2014, 08:59:16 PM »
On a more serious note, there's a certain aspect where I agree with XBOX. I agree that Jordan's musical ideas are probably not the easiest to integrate. If you listen to his solo stuff and the LMR album, you get a feel for what naturally comes out of him. For that reason I usually find the Jordan sections on DT songs very easy to spot.

Definitely, and there is a side of JR's sound that I feel is lacking on the last few albums, but you can still hear his influence coming through clearly.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #4141 on: March 16, 2014, 06:32:18 AM »

You can call me a troll or think I'm lying, but the truth is closer to my POV than the "everything is flowers" camp. LMR is what Jordan would prefer to write. LMR doesn't sound very much like DT12.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4142 on: March 16, 2014, 06:41:02 AM »

You can call me a troll or think I'm lying, but the truth is closer to my POV than the "everything is flowers" camp. LMR is what Jordan would prefer to write. LMR doesn't sound very much like DT12.
You heard it here first, LMR is the only music Jordan enjoys listening to or writing - based entirely on... shrug!

Frankly, he wouldn't play notes that aren't B-flat if he didn't have to. He only tolerates the rest of the octave for profit.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4143 on: March 16, 2014, 08:10:13 AM »

You heard it here first, LMR is the only music Jordan enjoys listening to or writing - based entirely on... shrug!

Frankly, he wouldn't play notes that aren't B-flat if he didn't have to. He only tolerates the rest of the octave for profit.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4144 on: March 16, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »
I just read an interview with Jordan and it seems that he has no problem with DT's stylistical limitations: https://metalshrineblogg.blogspot.se/2014/02/intervju-med-jordan-rudess-i-dream.html?m=1
With a band like Dream Theater, is there ever a limit to how far you can stray from the sound you´re known for? Or do you always have to keep it within the Dream Theater boundaries, so to speak?

Jordan Rudess: The stylistic window. First of all, Dream Theater is a fairly wide stylistic world and there are a lot of things that can be included, be it a little honky tonk thing or a slightly jazzy thing, so there are many possibilities. There are certain things that really don´t go or don´t fly inside the Dream Theater window. The best example of a band that completely does what you´re referring to, is Radiohead. They create these songs and then next thing they´re an electronic band doing weird stuff. Dream Theater does not work that way. We´ve worked very hard over the years in creating this window of parameters and it´s kinda a common ground for all of us as musicians to create this particular kind of music. An example is that many years ago, I remember I had just gotten an amazing percussion library of native instruments called Battery with great electronic drum sounds. I came into a Dream Theater writing session and we started off jamming and I was playing these really cool sounds and we had a great, great jam and it was really funny and we all ended up laughing at the end, which was really cool. I remember Mike Portnoy saying “That was amazing, but we could never do anything like that!”. It was just too different and too odd.

Could that ever limit you as a musician?

Jordan Rudess: As a musician I have all kinds of projects I do on the side. I just finished and orchestral album and earlier I made a solo piano album that is really, really gentle. I do my electronic music and my solo piano music and when we come together as a band, I know it´s time for Dream Theater. But if we look at the bigger picture, on this latest album we have the “Illumination theory” and in the middle of that one it goes into this very lovely orchestral and sensitive thing, which is a new thing for Dream Theater. I wrote this music that I probably would never picture would go on a Dream Theater album. Things do change and we become more relaxed. Things are possible, but it´s an appreciation and respect for who we are.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #4145 on: March 16, 2014, 05:42:49 PM »
Always I listen to BMUBMD I think the chorus is missing something. I don't know what but it sounds somehow too raw for my ears.

The something missing from that chorus is balls. It's a whiney radio metal chorus that makes me violently ill every time I (accidentally) listen to it. Not a controversial opinion at all, mate.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4146 on: March 16, 2014, 05:46:29 PM »
I love BMUBMD.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #4147 on: March 16, 2014, 06:02:09 PM »
A Rite of Passage, Prophets of War and Never Enough are good songs..

Don't know how everyone keeps saying they're 'awful' in such a strictly way.. And I'm not saying anything against those who REALLY think these songs are bad.. I'm just against those who say they're bad only because in comparison with other songs they're not that great..

NE, POW & AROP  :hefdaddy
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #4148 on: March 16, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »
I love BMUBMD.
A Rite of Passage, Prophets of War and Never Enough are good songs..
NE, POW & AROP  :hefdaddy

Agree with both.  :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4149 on: March 16, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »
I love BMUBMD.

I agree.  The screams just MAKE that chorus.  I think the chorus is one of DT's best.   Amazing song, and one of the highlights of ADTOE.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #4150 on: March 16, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »
Not to jump on the "BMUBMD hate" bandwagon, and for what it is, it's a pretty decent song, but the "screaming section" still gets me. And it's not that I don't like harsher vocals either, I just don't find that particular section's vocal melodies very exciting or memorable. Nothing about it makes me wanna go back to it. I much prefer the song for its riffs and lyrical chorus.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4151 on: March 16, 2014, 08:28:31 PM »
I love BMUBMD.

I agree.  The screams just MAKE that chorus.  I think the chorus is one of DT's best.   Amazing song, and one of the highlights of ADTOE.

I don't love the song, but I really don't get the (amount of) hate it gets. It's definitely a solid song, and I've always appreciated the metal "singles" more than most. I don't know how someone can say the chorus is whiny or lacks balls either. :dunno:

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #4152 on: March 16, 2014, 08:53:32 PM »
I love BMUBMD.

I don't love the song, but I really don't get the (amount of) hate it gets. It's definitely a solid song, and I've always appreciated the metal "singles" more than most. I don't know how someone can say the chorus is whiny or lacks balls either. :dunno:

It's probably my least favourite from the album, and I probably like it less than You Not Me, but it's STILL an enjoyable song. The only real problem I have with it is the unison section, which I don't find particularly interesting, and I thought the transition from it into the last chorus sounds a little lazy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4153 on: March 16, 2014, 09:00:47 PM »
I love BMUBMD.

It's probably my least favourite from the album, and I probably like it less than You Not Me, but it's STILL an enjoyable song. The only real problem I have with it is the unison section, which I don't find particularly interesting, and I thought the transition from it into the last chorus sounds a little lazy.

I don't think the unison is standout, but what I do like about it is that they didn't just tack in solos. They wrote a new section specifically for the instrumental and put the thought into it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4154 on: March 16, 2014, 11:12:36 PM »
I just read an interview with Jordan and it seems that he has no problem with DT's stylistical limitations: https://metalshrineblogg.blogspot.se/2014/02/intervju-med-jordan-rudess-i-dream.html?m=1
With a band like Dream Theater, is there ever a limit to how far you can stray from the sound you´re known for? Or do you always have to keep it within the Dream Theater boundaries, so to speak?

Jordan Rudess: The stylistic window. First of all, Dream Theater is a fairly wide stylistic world and there are a lot of things that can be included, be it a little honky tonk thing or a slightly jazzy thing, so there are many possibilities. There are certain things that really don´t go or don´t fly inside the Dream Theater window. The best example of a band that completely does what you´re referring to, is Radiohead. They create these songs and then next thing they´re an electronic band doing weird stuff. Dream Theater does not work that way. We´ve worked very hard over the years in creating this window of parameters and it´s kinda a common ground for all of us as musicians to create this particular kind of music. An example is that many years ago, I remember I had just gotten an amazing percussion library of native instruments called Battery with great electronic drum sounds. I came into a Dream Theater writing session and we started off jamming and I was playing these really cool sounds and we had a great, great jam and it was really funny and we all ended up laughing at the end, which was really cool. I remember Mike Portnoy saying “That was amazing, but we could never do anything like that!”. It was just too different and too odd.

Jordan Rudess: As a musician I have all kinds of projects I do on the side. I just finished and orchestral album and earlier I made a solo piano album that is really, really gentle. I do my electronic music and my solo piano music and when we come together as a band, I know it´s time for Dream Theater. But if we look at the bigger picture, on this latest album we have the “Illumination theory” and in the middle of that one it goes into this very lovely orchestral and sensitive thing, which is a new thing for Dream Theater. I wrote this music that I probably would never picture would go on a Dream Theater album. Things do change and we become more relaxed. Things are possible, but it´s an appreciation and respect for who we are.

Honestly, that attitude is quite unfortunate.  Too different and too odd?  Uh, it's your band, so you can do whatever you want with it, especially when you freely admit to being a progressive band, which should mean doing whatever the hell you want, instead of staying inside the box you have created for yourself, even if it is larger than that of most other bands.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #4155 on: March 17, 2014, 02:15:19 AM »
I might be a bit thrown off if JR used some really different wacky sounds, but I'd rather these guys did whatever the hell they wanted as opposed to making an impositional framework for themselves. I guess that happens with most bands after they've been around long enough though because they don't want to alienate their fanbase too much. But I like to think we'd have enough respect for their musicianship to at least try and appreciate anything they create.  :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4156 on: March 17, 2014, 02:24:35 AM »
I mean, it's hardly unusual, is it? "Porcupine Tree music" is a fairly loose frame, but Steven Wilson still releases the really wacky stuff with a solo band. And as JR concedes, they do move out of their comfort zones. The last album has some of their weirdest stuff in years, and he himself pinpoints the orchestral bit as something they never thought they could do, so it's not something I can bring myself to be bothered about. It's not a totally blank canvas, but they're surprising me an increasing amount in a lot of cool ways.

Prophets of War does have all the hallmarks of a foray outside their comfort zone that could've been truly brilliant if they'd pushed the envelope just that little bit further, though.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4157 on: March 17, 2014, 03:10:11 AM »

Honestly, that attitude is quite unfortunate.  Too different and too odd?  Uh, it's your band, so you can do whatever you want with it, especially when you freely admit to being a progressive band, which should mean doing whatever the hell you want, instead of staying inside the box you have created for yourself, even if it is larger than that of most other bands.

What unfortunate attitude? JR is just saying that they can not really be like Radiohead in terms that change sounds drastically from album to album. At least not yet.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #4158 on: March 17, 2014, 05:03:35 AM »
I'd really like them to change their sound sometime, or at least try some new/experimental things. SDOIT is my favourite DT album and I think that especially DT12 but ADTOE also are pretty boring.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4159 on: March 17, 2014, 08:52:42 AM »
I mean, it's hardly unusual, is it? "Porcupine Tree music" is a fairly loose frame, but Steven Wilson still releases the really wacky stuff with a solo band. And as JR concedes, they do move out of their comfort zones. The last album has some of their weirdest stuff in years, and he himself pinpoints the orchestral bit as something they never thought they could do, so it's not something I can bring myself to be bothered about. It's not a totally blank canvas, but they're surprising me an increasing amount in a lot of cool ways.

They tend to do that with a 10-second section here and a 10-second section there, as opposed to moving out of their comfort zone for entire songs.  Granted, it is usually pretty neat to hear different things in the context of songs that otherwise sound very DT (like the little breakdown in the middle of Breaking All Illusions, shortly before the guitar solo), but I'd love to see them throw caution to the wind and try writing some songs that are totally out of their comfort zone. 

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #4160 on: March 17, 2014, 08:55:44 AM »
Now I have a new reason for both liking and disliking this album: it's seriously, seriously catchy.

The "Knowing that nothing is stronger than faith" part in Along for the Ride kept looping in my head for the whole day, and it almost drove me mad before I realized that I could keep the wonderful melodies but just switch up the lyrics into nonsense.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4161 on: March 17, 2014, 09:36:24 AM »
I'm with Kev on that I find DT has done their duty for king and country, and they should venture out a bit more. I mean, looking at JR's comment there, at least he seems to have desire to do other stuff, but he has to relegate it to outside projects. I mean, he's part of a band of astonishing musicians who could convincingly pull off a LOT of different styles, but they confine themselves to a very narrow range. Not very prog, that's for sure.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4162 on: March 17, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
The RR era of DT is definitely the least proggy.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4163 on: March 17, 2014, 12:58:28 PM »
The RR era of DT is definitely the least proggy.
Depending on your definition of proggy. The RR era of DT has been the most Metal oriented, the 7-string, the style of the riffs and the way they're mixed, it definitely has a much more metallic sound to it. But they still have very progressive songs. ITPOE, TCOT, IT, and many others, they still have all the progressive elements that DT is known for.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4164 on: March 17, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »
I am guessing he meant "least adventurous," not proggy per se in the sense of writing songs that are broadly defined as progressive rock or metal epics.  In that regard, I definitely agree that their most adventurous days were earlier in their career (1992-1994, 1999-2002).