Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979418 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #4060 on: March 13, 2014, 10:07:57 AM »
LOL at thinking you have to be a depressed person to enjoy Space Dye Vest. 

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4061 on: March 13, 2014, 10:18:50 AM »
LOL at thinking you have to be a depressed person to enjoy Space Dye Vest.

. <--- The point is here, and you hit way the hell over there ------->
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4062 on: March 13, 2014, 10:22:09 AM »
I know what your point was, but there was too much fail in it overall to address it all, so I went for the one-line reply.  Besides, you saying, "It's not the 90s anymore, and concert halls aren't packed with a bunch of depressed people, looking to hear depressing music," all but implied that you have to be depressed to enjoy the song, so my reply was not out of bounds or off point.

« Reply #4063 on: March 13, 2014, 10:27:48 AM »
What I meant was that Space-Dye Vest, as it is on the album is a depressing song. And the audiences of the 90s were looking for that sort of thing in Grunge music. But like I said, that wasn't even DT's crowd. People don't go to DT concerts to hear depressing music, they want to hear something epic and empowering, and in its original format, Space-Dye Vest is none of those things. Now, playing a sad song like Disappear is one thing, but like rumbroak said, SDV is outright lethargic. I don't want to go to a concert and hear a song that makes me feel like I just went through a breakup.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4064 on: March 13, 2014, 10:29:51 AM »
I would go to a DT concert to hear DT songs.

SDV is a DT song.

I would want to hear it.

/impeccable logic

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4065 on: March 13, 2014, 10:30:40 AM »
Since when do you represent DT's crowd as a whole?  How do you know what every DT fan wants to hear at each concert? 

« Reply #4066 on: March 13, 2014, 10:35:58 AM »
Since when do you represent DT's crowd as a whole?  How do you know what every DT fan wants to hear at each concert?

I don't represent DT's crowd as a whole, but at the same time, I'm not the one making the decision to play Space-Dye Vest the way they're playing it. Obviously they think it will be more enjoyable for the audience if they made it a bit more elaborate at the end, so there you have it. And I agree with their decision. If I wanted to hear an album-perfect rendition of a song, I'd listen to the album.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4067 on: March 13, 2014, 10:48:14 AM »
I have been a DT fanboy since Oct 1992 and I disagree with your assessment of SDV on every possible level.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

« Reply #4068 on: March 13, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
I have been a DT fanboy since Oct 1992 and I disagree with your assessment of SDV on every possible level.

Okay, well given your longevity as a DT fan, tell me something, how did you feel back then, when they played Wait For Sleep and they made the ending of that a little heavier and rock oriented? Or The Silent Man when, again, they turned it into more of a jazzy rock song as opposed to an acoustic one?

Because that's exactly what's happening with Space-Dye Vest now, and like I said, I don't see why it should be exempt from such a treatment, if that's what they want to do with it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4069 on: March 13, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »
I've been a fan since '93, yet I've never liked them rocking up the Silent Man the way they used to.  The original arrangement, which they brought back on the last tour, was absolutely perfect.  I didn't like them adding drums to Wait for Sleep either.  Songs like those and Space Dye Vest, if put in the right spot in a set list, can be a great dynamic shift from the rocking and epic tunes.

« Reply #4070 on: March 13, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »
Well, I always enjoyed those interpretations. Same with the extended solo and heavier ending on Hollow Years that they've done on OIALT and Budokan.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4071 on: March 13, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »

Okay, well given your longevity as a DT fan, tell me something, how did you feel back then, when they played Wait For Sleep and they made the ending of that a little heavier and rock oriented? Or The Silent Man when, again, they turned it into more of a jazzy rock song as opposed to an acoustic one?

Because that's exactly what's happening with Space-Dye Vest now, and like I said, I don't see why it should be exempt from such a treatment, if that's what they want to do with it.

Varied.   What they did with WfS was not really too over the top.   The band just added a bit of texture, but by the end of the song, it ended pretty much the same way it ended on the album (before going into Surrounded). 

Silent Man is different because I've seen it both ways.   When they did it on the Awake tour, they did it acoustically, and MP came out from behind the drum kit and played some bongos.   I actually really liked it.   It had a really intimate feel to it, and I thought it worked.   But then I liked the bombastic version on LSFNY for its own different reasons.     I think both approaches can be pulled off.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4072 on: March 13, 2014, 01:19:44 PM »
It's not the 90s anymore, and concert halls aren't packed with a bunch of depressed people, looking to hear depressing music.

I take it you don't listen to Porcupine Tree. :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

« Reply #4073 on: March 13, 2014, 01:22:17 PM »
It's not the 90s anymore, and concert halls aren't packed with a bunch of depressed people, looking to hear depressing music.

I take it you don't listen to Porcupine Tree. :lol

That would definitely be a correct assessment.  ;D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4074 on: March 13, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
Well, given the popularity of PT and Steven Wilson, I think it should be rather obvious there *are* a lot of people who have no problem with "depressing" music.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #4075 on: March 13, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »
 :)
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

« Reply #4076 on: March 13, 2014, 02:10:54 PM »
Well, given the popularity of PT and Steven Wilson, I think it should be rather obvious there *are* a lot of people who have no problem with "depressing" music.

But is it 'depressing' because it's dark and dramatic and minor? Or is it outright angsty like SDV?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4077 on: March 13, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
Dude, seriously, I don't even know what point you're trying to make here. Is it that moody music overall is a thing of the past, and these days nobody likes it anymore? Then I would say, you might want to expand your horizons a little bit.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4078 on: March 13, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »
That's kind of what I was thinking.  A lot of Pink Floyd's most popular music back in the 70s was anything but happy, yet it was some of the most popular rock music ever.  The idea that depressing music is listened to by depressed people, or whatever, is pure nonsense.  Almost everyone who knows me would describe me (among other things :lol) as being pretty upbeat and happy, yet somehow I love Floyd, PT, Space Dye Vest, etc.  OMG, HOW CAN THAT BE?  ??? ??? :rollin :rollin

« Reply #4079 on: March 13, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »
Dude, seriously, I don't even know what point you're trying to make here. Is it that moody music overall is a thing of the past, and these days nobody likes it anymore? Then I would say, you might want to expand your horizons a little bit.

I'm not trying to make any point, I'm just asking you out of curiosity because I'm not familiar with PT's music.

Here, I couldn't afford a family pack:

:chill

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #4080 on: March 13, 2014, 02:46:13 PM »
In my ever-so-humble opinion, JR is the main offender in not being able to play the song "correctly". The song calls for an mood that I have *never* heard in any other DT song: lethargy. The kind of lethargy you experience when you broke up with somebody. SDV on CD captures this emotion perfectly, but when hearing the JLB+JR version a while ago, I have to be honest and say: JR can not play it.

But the live version being played now is completely different from the JLB+JR version a few years back.  That was a solo piano performance, and the keyboard part as played on the record is positively boring -- it really only makes sense in the context of the recording, which has all the samples, and the sound effects, and all the other instruments to provide contrast and ambiance.  Playing the piano part exactly as written at that performance would've sounded incredibly silly -- JR was right to ham it up a bit there.  I don't know what you've heard of the live performances this year, but JR hasn't really been embellishing KM's part at all.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4081 on: March 13, 2014, 02:53:36 PM »

But is it 'depressing' because it's dark and dramatic and minor? Or is it outright angsty like SDV?

Listen to Heartattck in a Layby, and Feel So Low. The latter song is more Space-Dye Vesty
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Polis

« Reply #4082 on: March 13, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »
Oh, and some random thought that just came to me(and perhaps my first real controversial opinion here): I think if the DT catalog(aside from WDADU) were released backwards instead of how it is, I&W would've gotten A LOT of hate instead of the praise it gets :P("that Metropolis middle section is awful and it drags the whole down" comes to mind :P). Sometimes I think some DT albums gets hated just for having DT name on it, among fans and non fans, and their only fault is being compared to the other albums.
Well, obviously the music scene nowadays is pretty different than from 30 years ago, so that's a given, and the reason why everyone praises images is because that was a foundational album of prog metal. Pretty dumb idea.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #4083 on: March 13, 2014, 04:57:59 PM »
Oh, and some random thought that just came to me(and perhaps my first real controversial opinion here): I think if the DT catalog(aside from WDADU) were released backwards instead of how it is, I&W would've gotten A LOT of hate instead of the praise it gets :P("that Metropolis middle section is awful and it drags the whole down" comes to mind :P). Sometimes I think some DT albums gets hated just for having DT name on it, among fans and non fans, and their only fault is being compared to the other albums.

Hm... no.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #4084 on: March 13, 2014, 05:08:03 PM »
To elaborate on my original point;

I have no problem with DT changing songs up to make it more "concert-friendly". Sometimes it works (Hollow Years), sometimes it doesn't (Space Dye Vest imo). I personally think the song (as it was on the album) would have worked fine in a live situation. Not every song needs a soaring guitar solo at the end. The fact that they changed one of my favorite DT moments into something (again my opinion) inferior. I'm a positive person though, so maybe the live ending will come across better in person at the concert.

I also think Rudess plays it fine. I put all the blame on JLB and JR haha

« Reply #4085 on: March 13, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »
I'm a positive person though, so maybe the live ending will come across better in person at the concert.

Well, I hope we get a chance to find out. Hopefully they didn't switch up their setlist too much for the North American leg... Just one more week, then we find out!

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #4086 on: March 13, 2014, 06:48:05 PM »
I'm a positive person though, so maybe the live ending will come across better in person at the concert.

Well, I hope we get a chance to find out. Hopefully they didn't switch up their setlist too much for the North American leg... Just one more week, then we find out!

They will not.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #4087 on: March 13, 2014, 09:49:03 PM »

They will not.

People keep saying this, and I hope they are right (and suspect they are), but I'm going to chuckle a bit if it's changed up a bit.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #4088 on: March 13, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »
Well, find something else to chuckle about, because it won't be changed.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #4089 on: March 13, 2014, 10:02:47 PM »

Source?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #4090 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:29 PM »

Source?
In a recent interview with Rudess, he said they won't change the setlist.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #4091 on: March 14, 2014, 02:02:08 AM »
Fair enough, I'm sure they're keeping the 'essence' of the setlist, but somehow I still wouldn't be surprised if some of the new album's songs get flipped around I mean come on, it's the new stuff, they're not gonna ignore it for the WHOLE tour are they??? Are they..  :(

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #4092 on: March 14, 2014, 05:28:47 AM »
Fair enough, I'm sure they're keeping the 'essence' of the setlist, but somehow I still wouldn't be surprised if some of the new album's songs get flipped around I mean come on, it's the new stuff, they're not gonna ignore it for the WHOLE tour are they??? Are they..  :(

The tour is not over in April. There's a second EU leg coming!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4093 on: March 14, 2014, 09:12:42 AM »

More fresh material for the next tour....

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4094 on: March 14, 2014, 10:13:30 AM »

More fresh material for the next tour....

The Bigger Picture and Behind The Veil.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD