Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979841 times)

Offline Invisible

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #3675 on: February 13, 2014, 09:01:21 PM »
You Not Me sucked with or without Desmond Child.
THAT I actually agree.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #3676 on: February 13, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »
This may be controversial, but: I don't hear any Tool influence on ToT or 6DoIT. I wish I did though.

And I was just listening to SC. It's really not as 'not good' as I often hear said. There is some really awesome heavy riffage. The Dark Eternal Night is pretty kickass. But only at first, because it eventually falls into the wankery trap of so many DT songs. I mean seriously, why do they feel the need to do that so often? TDET is just one of many songs that could have been career highlights if they had just decided to not masturbate with their keyboards and guitars after performing awesomeness in the first few minutes.

So I don't think SC is amazing. I don't think any of their last 3 or 4 albums even came close to amazing. 8VM had a few amazing songs: These Walls, IWBS, Panic Attack. Title track was good though, I love the way it builts to the ending climiax; I do think the idea of doing that may have come from the song Lateralus, of course it sounds nothing like it though.

And FIF is not as terrible as people think. When I first got it I really enjoyed a lot of it. But that was before I got into 6DoIT, 8VM, Awake. Now when I listen to the album it just lack depth. But it's not terrible.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3677 on: February 13, 2014, 10:58:07 PM »
I've never heard TOT compared to Tool, actually.

And I think you'll find that there's a number of people here who think very highly of FII.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #3678 on: February 13, 2014, 11:32:09 PM »
The Tool influence I hear is in The Great Debate on 6DOIT, the strongest/borderline rip-off is on the intro and beginning of Home that they borrowed from 46 & 2 and mayyyyyybe(big maybe) the first vocal lines of Honor Thy Father.

And yep, The Dark Eternal Night instrumental is kind of pointless, but then again, the middle section of Metropolis is kind of pointless in the very same way so... :biggrin: On TDEN, maybe they thought if they didn't add something it would be to much of a straight metal song with no depth, that's all I can come up in it's defence. It's not among my favourites anyway, but it must be fun to hear live and chanting that silly chorus I guess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3679 on: February 13, 2014, 11:39:04 PM »
The instrumental section of TDEN is one of their best ever. There are no wanky solos, no back to back shredding, and it's all well constructed and thought out so every instrument complements each other to form the whole section, rather than looping a riff and someone jamming over it later. A lot of playing around with the chromatic riffs, and creating variations with changing time signatures and shifting note. It's beautiful.
It doesn't surprise me that MM has mentioned this as one of his favourite MP songs to play, because the way it's constructed rhythmically seems like something he'd have fun playing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #3680 on: February 13, 2014, 11:47:25 PM »
The instrumental section of TDEN is one of their best ever. There are no wanky solos, no back to back shredding, and it's all well constructed and thought out so every instrument complements each other to form the whole section, rather than looping a riff and someone jamming over it later. A lot of playing around with the chromatic riffs, and creating variations with changing time signatures and shifting note. It's beautiful.
It doesn't surprise me that MM has mentioned this as one of his favourite MP songs to play, because the way it's constructed rhythmically seems like something he'd have fun playing.

I agree with this. I love TDEN's instrumental section. It's what saves the song from being bottom tier for me personally.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline NotePad

« Reply #3681 on: February 14, 2014, 12:28:29 AM »
A lot of people ToT was Tool influenced and spawned from MPs admiration for Tools music. It's a very heavy and dark album, but I find nothing like Tool. Long songs, but DT always has that, and heavy, but also completely different from the style of music Tool make.

The instrumental sections of many of their songs are pointless. There are a LOT of DT songs that I feel are ruined by instrumental 'wankery', as they say. Honor Thy Father is almost completely destroyed by the insturmental section, but the first few minutes are just too awesome.

I feel the the first few minutes of Honor Thy Father is some of the best DT has ever done. I would love to see them do more stuff in that direction. I also really love the guitar sound of Dark Eternal Night (at least the first few minutes). I love that heavy, down-tuned guitar sound. These two songs are very dark sounding. I wish they would do another album with a very dark atmosphere, in the style of what i was saying about these songs. A man can dream.....

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #3682 on: February 14, 2014, 01:21:33 AM »
Always liked Honor Thy Father and the second half of the song doesn't bother me at all.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline rude boy

« Reply #3683 on: February 14, 2014, 02:26:49 AM »
Always liked Honor Thy Father and the second half of the song doesn't bother me at all.

I second that. And I do not understand the hate for You Not Me.

Offline adastra

« Reply #3684 on: February 14, 2014, 03:38:31 AM »

TRVVV.. Everything on FII is flawless!   YOu not Me  is a catchy fucking song!  ;D
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3685 on: February 14, 2014, 03:45:17 AM »

TRVVV.. Everything on FII is flawless!   YOu not Me  is a catchy fucking song!  ;D

You know what else is catchy? HERPES!

Sorry, couldn't help it. :P
I love everything on FII except for YNM. It's nowhere near as bad as its legacy would indicate, as it's far too unremarkable to be hate-worthy, but I don't think there's anything really good about it either. It's a slight improvement over YOM though, but not by much.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3686 on: February 14, 2014, 05:00:33 AM »
I'd rather listen to You Not Me than Take The Time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3687 on: February 14, 2014, 05:06:16 AM »
What's not to like about Take The Time? To me that song is pure DT perfection.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3688 on: February 14, 2014, 05:10:26 AM »
The annoying sounds KM uses like all the way through the song...
I'm not a big fan of Petrucci's riffs and the vocal melodies are just awful, especially in the chorus.
The best part of the song is by far the instrumental section, but it's still kind of meh.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3689 on: February 14, 2014, 05:12:11 AM »
Well you lost me on all of that, so we'll just have to agree to very strongly disagree. :lol Easily a top 5 DT song for me.

Offline 425

« Reply #3690 on: February 14, 2014, 06:09:02 AM »
The instrumental sections of many of their songs are pointless. There are a LOT of DT songs that I feel are ruined by instrumental 'wankery', as they say. Honor Thy Father is almost completely destroyed by the insturmental section, but the first few minutes are just too awesome.

This type of statement confuses me. This has never been not a major component of DT's sound. It's not like DT decided halfway through their career to give every song a four minute instrumental section. They've been doing it since at least the Images and Words days. I hate to be the first to frame it this way, but maybe DT isn't what you're looking for in music if you think that instrumental sections ruin songs? Because asking DT to stop making long instrumental sections is like asking James Hetfield not to sing so loudly.

And oftentimes, the instrumental is actually the best part (or one of them) of a DT song. Metropolis, Learning to Live, Beyond This Life, Blind Faith, Endless Sacrifice, Never Enough, Octavarium, The Dark Eternal Night, Illumination Theory. The Dark Eternal Night, for one example, would be rather generic metal song without the instrumental section. I can understand why someone would just want the instrumental or why someone would dislike the whole thing, but I simply do not understand why a Dream Theater fan would want to keep the first part but dump the instrumental.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #3691 on: February 14, 2014, 06:21:56 AM »
The annoying sounds KM uses like all the way through the song...
I'm not a big fan of Petrucci's riffs and the vocal melodies are just awful, especially in the chorus.
The best part of the song is by far the instrumental section, but it's still kind of meh.

I agree. Never got what's so great about Take The Time.

Offline adastra

« Reply #3692 on: February 14, 2014, 07:01:09 AM »

Boring riffing... Mediocre vocals.. 
"Not-very-imaginative"-Drumming.
Not very cool solos..
Bad haircuts..
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3693 on: February 14, 2014, 07:06:18 AM »

Boring riffing... Mediocre vocals.. 
"Not-very-imaginative"-Drumming.
Not very cool solos..

.......are all things Take The Time doesn't have?
It has the grooviest bass riff DT has ever done, along with awesome metal and funky riffs from JP. And if those vocals are mediocre, then every other vocal JLB has done must be terrible. :P It also has one of DT's best unisons, two awesome keyboard solos (counting the intro), and an epic as hell outro guitar solo from JP.

I advise you refund and replace your copy of IaW. I'm pretty sure you must have gotten the misprint with Back in Black on it instead. :biggrin:

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3694 on: February 14, 2014, 07:15:58 AM »
Take The Time has probably the worst keyboard solos on any DT song... god bless AROP compared to the solo sound KM uses.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3695 on: February 14, 2014, 07:26:22 AM »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3696 on: February 14, 2014, 07:29:17 AM »
If I was trying to troll, I could do much better honestly.  :facepalm:

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3697 on: February 14, 2014, 07:32:33 AM »
Take the Time is one of my favorite songs ever.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #3698 on: February 14, 2014, 09:20:21 AM »

I don't think that's controversial. TTT is always a fan favorite.

Although I think TTT is the least awesome song on I&W.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3699 on: February 14, 2014, 10:43:49 AM »
Maybe not too controversial, but probably a solid half a minute could have been cut from the end of TGP without hurting the song in any way or fashion.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #3700 on: February 14, 2014, 10:54:21 AM »
Maybe not too controversial, but probably a solid half a minute could have been cut from the end of TGP without hurting the song in any way or fashion.

You want to cut a half a minute from the end of me?  :'(
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3701 on: February 14, 2014, 12:48:50 PM »

TGP is perfect the way it is. No please.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3702 on: February 14, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »

I wasn't really going for controversial, just sort of weighing in on the discussion between Blob and jake.  :)
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3703 on: February 14, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »
Take The Time has probably the worst keyboard solos on any DT song... god bless AROP compared to the solo sound KM uses.

:|

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #3704 on: February 14, 2014, 03:51:06 PM »
Honor Thy Father is almost completely destroyed by the insturmental section, but the first few minutes are just too awesome.

I feel the the first few minutes of Honor Thy Father is some of the best DT has ever done. I would love to see them do more stuff in that direction.

Well I love to see appreciation for HTF because it's one of my favorite DT songs, and is also responsible for getting me hooked on the band back in 04. But I have to wholeheartedly disagree that the instrumental section destroys the song, I think it's the ultimate climax after building up to that point. I still get goosebumps listening to that JP riff that builds up during the samples and when the keyboard solo kicks in.. spooky. I normally always feel something from that passage, it's epic.  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3705 on: February 14, 2014, 04:03:40 PM »

I wasn't really going for controversial, just sort of weighing in on the discussion between Blob and jake.  :)

Jaffa, stop responding and say something dumb like most are saying about TTT.  Geeeeesh! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3706 on: February 14, 2014, 04:07:48 PM »

The riff-o-rama section?  If so I agree.  There are lots of great riffs.  I like the section a lot.  I just wish the structure was more concise.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3707 on: February 14, 2014, 04:09:04 PM »

Jaffa, stop responding and say something dumb like most are saying about TTT.  Geeeeesh! :lol

I don't think I could possibly say anything as dumb as what some people are saying about TTT.  :neverusethis:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #3708 on: February 14, 2014, 04:15:40 PM »

The riff-o-rama section?  If so I agree.  There are lots of great riffs.  I like the section a lot.  I just wish the structure was more concise.

I appologise for speaking for someone else but I have a feeling he doesn't mean the' riff-o-rama section'. In fact that's probably widely considered to be one of the best parts of the song.. I think he means the rush-esque final vocal outro section or whatever you wanna call it. It feels like a bit of an anti-climax but at least we can transition into This Dying Soul to maintain the momentum.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3709 on: February 14, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »

TGP is perfect the way it is. No please.

That.