Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 980241 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2940 on: January 03, 2014, 10:34:36 PM »
Actually, thinking about the vocal melody, I can picture Hetfield singing it. I can very much see how that song sounds like Metallica.

:rollin The vocal melody is so far from Metallica, I don't even know where to start. It has a range of an octave rather than grunting out the root note, and it's not at all a scale Hetfield has ever sung in. And whatever key you put the song in, it would be way out of Hetfield's range anyway. If you can picture Hetfield singing that, you have an amazing imagination, my friend. :P

I'm not talking about octaves or ranges or whatever, I can simply picture him singing the song the way he sings songs. It's not that hard.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2941 on: January 04, 2014, 07:59:09 AM »
Actually, thinking about the vocal melody, I can picture Hetfield singing it. I can very much see how that song sounds like Metallica.

:rollin The vocal melody is so far from Metallica, I don't even know where to start. It has a range of an octave rather than grunting out the root note, and it's not at all a scale Hetfield has ever sung in. And whatever key you put the song in, it would be way out of Hetfield's range anyway. If you can picture Hetfield singing that, you have an amazing imagination, my friend. :P

I'm not talking about octaves or ranges or whatever, I can simply picture him singing the song the way he sings songs. It's not that hard.  :lol

Blob always says that about As I Am, even though it's blatantly obvious that Metallica is a huge influence on that song.  He seems to think because it's in a different range that it doesn't sound like Metallica. Just smile pleasantly and nod.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2942 on: January 04, 2014, 08:13:20 AM »

Blob always says that about As I Am, even though it's blatantly obvious that Metallica is a huge influence on that song.  He seems to think because it's in a different range that it doesn't sound like Metallica. Just smile pleasantly and nod.

There's nothing blatant about the influence imo. In this thread and in the past I have given good explanations for why it's actually nothing at all like Metallica well beyond "it's in a different range", so it's not as simplistic as you want to make it at all. I guess you don't understand the technical musical talk?
And don't be so insulting in future.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2943 on: January 04, 2014, 08:18:34 AM »
As I Am sounds nothing like Metallica. I don't know what you're on if you think it does.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2944 on: January 04, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »
I can hear some Hetfieldisms in the way JLB sings the chorus, but musically AIA doesn't sound (much) like Metallica to my ears. On the other hand, Constant Motion has a clear Metallica vibe.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2945 on: January 04, 2014, 09:34:11 AM »
I think the main riff is very much in the style of Metallica's black album. I can almost start singing, "Say your prayers, little one!"
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2946 on: January 04, 2014, 09:37:53 AM »
Did I win the argument? I'm just going to assume I won the argument.

;D
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2947 on: January 04, 2014, 09:44:32 AM »
The only part that sounds like Metallica on Train of Thought is the Blackened section in This Dying Soul.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2948 on: January 04, 2014, 11:28:57 AM »
In this thread and in the past I have given good explanations for why it's actually nothing at all like Metallica well beyond "it's in a different range", so it's not as simplistic as you want to make it at all. I guess you don't understand the technical musical talk?
I think the problem is precisely that you're overanalyzing it. I was in a car with some musically braindead friends of mine and when As I Am came up they immediately went "zomg, this totally sounds like Metallica". If it happens to this many people, it cannot be a coincidence.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2949 on: January 04, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »
I think  As I AM and Constant Motion both show strong Metallica influences.

Oh and I'm sure I've said this before but Systematic Chaos is still a top (4?) album. Behind Awake , Images and maybe Scenes.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2950 on: January 04, 2014, 01:26:27 PM »
As I Am has stronger influences than Metallica.

https://youtu.be/7sYae25hnKI

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2951 on: January 04, 2014, 01:29:54 PM »
In this thread and in the past I have given good explanations for why it's actually nothing at all like Metallica well beyond "it's in a different range", so it's not as simplistic as you want to make it at all. I guess you don't understand the technical musical talk?
I think the problem is precisely that you're overanalyzing it. I was in a car with some musically braindead friends of mine and when As I Am came up they immediately went "zomg, this totally sounds like Metallica". If it happens to this many people, it cannot be a coincidence.

Dude, people who aren't familiar with a band will say all kinds of crap. People I show Dream Theater to say they sound like DragonForce. :|

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2952 on: January 04, 2014, 04:41:38 PM »

I'm not overanalyzing, it just has very little Metallica influence at all beyond being a heavy song. :lol I get the feeling that people who aren't into metal often just use Metallica/Megadeth as generic catch all comparisons of something sounding metal-ish.
Musically the song is so un-Metallica, and the few parts that sound like Metallica could have played them are no more Metallica than any other similar metal band. My first thought when hearing the song was only the obvious Black Sabbath similarity.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2953 on: January 04, 2014, 04:44:55 PM »
Don't know what to tell you, Blob.  I've always thought that As I Am had a Metallica vibe.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2954 on: January 04, 2014, 04:52:54 PM »
Don't know what to tell you, Blob.  I've always thought that As I Am had a Metallica vibe.

And I don't know what to tell you, but I'd been a big Metallica fan for years by that point, and never got the slightest feeling of a Metallica vibe from it. SO NOW WHAT?? :biggrin:
Like, what Metallica song do people think it even sounds similar to? I really want to know. It's not like Constant Motion where I can pick out a section of No Remorse here, or a bit of Disposable Heroes there, or the signature Hetfield melody in the verse. In As I Am, I hear nothing that makes me think of Metallica, even at a surface level.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2955 on: January 04, 2014, 05:22:07 PM »
It doesn't sound like a particular song.  It just sounds and feels like something that Metallica would do.  Or that they would WANT to do.  It feels in their wheelhouse.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #2956 on: January 04, 2014, 05:42:01 PM »
The main riff reminds me a lot of the one from Enter Sandman.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #2957 on: January 04, 2014, 05:56:07 PM »
The most Metallica sounding songs from them i think are Constant Motion and the first verse of The Glass Prison with MP/JLB going back and forth.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:17:26 PM by Laughingplace56 »

« Reply #2958 on: January 04, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »

This. I'm tempted to try and do a cover of Enter Sandman using As I Am as the background music, just to see how wll it fits.  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2959 on: January 04, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »

This. I'm tempted to try and do a cover of Enter Sandman using As I Am as the background music, just to see how wll it fits.  :lol

Can I fill in JH's YEAHH HEAHHHHH

Offline Cable

« Reply #2960 on: January 04, 2014, 11:28:27 PM »
I forgot that structurally and stylistically, ES and SoC share ideas with WH and Orion respectively. Kind of like I&W and ADTOE. Sound the same... not really at all.
---

Offline Cable

« Reply #2961 on: January 04, 2014, 11:28:58 PM »
I forgot that structurally and stylistically, ES and SoC share ideas with WH(S) and Orion respectively. Kind of like I&W and ADTOE. Sound the same... not really at all.
---

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2962 on: January 04, 2014, 11:56:23 PM »

It sounds more like the song from the link I posted.

« Reply #2963 on: January 05, 2014, 01:58:02 AM »

The opening certainly does, but once the song gets going, the riff right before the verse, around 1:25 ish, has a very Enter Sandmanish vibe to it.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2964 on: January 05, 2014, 02:12:54 AM »
The main riff, which is the most important aspect of the song has such a strong Enter Sandman vibe to it that it makes me think that "as I aaaam...yeeeah" is an intentional nod.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

« Reply #2965 on: January 05, 2014, 04:15:24 AM »
The main riff, which is the most important aspect of the song has such a strong Enter Sandman vibe to it that it makes me think that "as I aaaam...yeeeah" is an intentional nod.

Same here. I wouldn't be all too surprised if it was intentional.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2966 on: January 05, 2014, 05:39:45 AM »
There's nowhere near enough similarity to make me think that there was any intentional reference.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2967 on: January 05, 2014, 05:41:22 AM »
There's nowhere near enough similarity to make me think that there was any intentional reference.
I agree.  Even though I get a Metallica "vibe" I don't think there was any intentional reference on the part of the band.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #2968 on: January 05, 2014, 06:42:18 AM »

The opening certainly does, but once the song gets going, the riff right before the verse, around 1:25 ish, has a very Enter Sandmanish vibe to it.

Gotta join in on the "Metallica vibe" side here and agree after re-listening to the song.  At 1:25 I instinctively feel compelled to sing, "Say your prayers little one, don't forget my son, to include every one."  Later in the song it loses it's Metallica vibe, but the opening is very Metallica-y. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2969 on: January 05, 2014, 12:11:13 PM »

Like, what Metallica song do people think it even sounds similar to? I really want to know. 

That's what I always say when people tell me I Walk Beside You sounds like U2.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2970 on: January 05, 2014, 12:30:10 PM »
I don't think it needs to be a specific song.  If the sound is there, and enough people pick up on it, then maybe they are hearing something others aren't.  Breaking it down like: the Bm is conflicting with the A#Major because the 31/32 time signature is not feasible with their style is completely meaningless.   I personally don't hear the Metallica much in As I Am, but that's me.  People told me I was wrong when I said the opening riff to Behind The Veil sounded almost identical to Creeping Death, yet a dozen people I played it for, without giving them any clues as to what I was doing, heard Creeping Death immediately. 

With I Walk Beside You, I hear a U2 influence.  But it's not so much where I'd say they ripped them off.  It's really arduous to not have influences come out in your music at some point.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2971 on: January 05, 2014, 12:50:26 PM »
It sounds like Bono could sing IWBY, but it doesn't sound like a particular U2 song.

Offline davidolson22

« Reply #2972 on: January 05, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »
I always though As I am started as a Black Sabbath style song for the first 1 and a half minutes, then it turns into a Metallica. It's not just the guitar that sounds like Metallica, in the chorus Labrie uses a very limited range of notes much like Hetfield does.

And the intro to Vacant sounds a awful lot like One from Justice for All, except the guitar has been changed into a piano. It's weird though cause I can't imagine Jordan Rudess listening to Metallica.

My impression of Train of Thought was they listened to a ton of Metallica then sat down to write some music.

Offline Cable

« Reply #2973 on: January 05, 2014, 03:11:40 PM »
Even though I don't hear Enter Sandman in the main riff personally, for what it's worth; the two share the same notes. AIA is obviously in C standard and a different rhythm. I hear more ES in a riff from Opeth in April Eretheral  than AIA.
---

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2974 on: January 05, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
As I Am is awesome, and definitely has a Metallica vibe.  But as far as definite 'nods' (i'd prefer to call them 'rips') Enter Sandman = Peruvian Skies.