Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991351 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2905 on: January 02, 2014, 07:15:52 PM »
I wish every DT album and live release had loud and prominent keys. Jordan plays some amazing stuff that never gets to be heard.
This needs to be said again. Yes. Oh how I love dominant keys on I&W.

You're misquoting something. I never said that.  :-\
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2906 on: January 02, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »
I wish every DT album and live release had loud and prominent keys. Jordan plays some amazing stuff that never gets to be heard.
This needs to be said again. Yes. Oh how I love dominant keys on I&W.

You're misquoting something. I never said that.  :-\

Correct quote:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2907 on: January 03, 2014, 12:17:20 PM »
I swear Raw Dog would be perfect after These Walls if played live and would slay the audience.  I wish they wouldve done that for the maiden set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2908 on: January 03, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »
I swear Raw Dog would be perfect after These Walls if played live and would slay the audience.  I wish they wouldve done that for the maiden set.

Imagine The Dance of Eternity segueing into directly Raw Dog, the pounding ending going right into the pounding intro of another ridiculous instrumental. That would give James extra rest time to sing Voices or Take The Time or another vocally demanding song next

Offline Vipmetal

« Reply #2909 on: January 03, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »
Now that I've been playing it for few days on a guitar, I really do feel that You not me is very underrated song. The chorus is perfect! 😎
DT fanboy from Finland

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2910 on: January 03, 2014, 04:59:58 PM »
Now that I've been playing it for few days on a guitar, I really do feel that You not me is very underrated song. The chorus is perfect! 😎

What does 😎 mean?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2911 on: January 03, 2014, 05:07:07 PM »
Ceiling Cat.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2912 on: January 03, 2014, 05:07:43 PM »
I don't get it. ???

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2913 on: January 03, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »
Cat's really can fit into anything.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2914 on: January 03, 2014, 05:19:35 PM »
Constant Motion and Raw Dog are fucking awesome songs.

bring it

Nice one to stir up trouble, you must be fucking with us.

Constant Motion rules!
I don't disagree with this part at the very least. Underrated song. Have you even listened to Petrucci's solo section and what Portnoy is doing there it's like mindblowing man

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2915 on: January 03, 2014, 06:59:38 PM »

bring it

Constant Motion rules!
I don't disagree with this part at the very least. Underrated song. Have you even listened to Petrucci's solo section and what Portnoy is doing there it's like mindblowing man

Portnoy's drum work in the bridge/solo section is killer, as is JP's solo. I actually love JR's solo there too, and it really reminds me of AJFA era Hammett.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2916 on: January 03, 2014, 07:47:13 PM »

bring it

Constant Motion rules!

Portnoy's drum work in the bridge/solo section is killer, as is JP's solo. I actually love JR's solo there too, and it really reminds me of AJFA era Hammett.

I enjoy the energy constant motion has. JP's guitar solo and dimebag style squeal make it really great, but that squeal live is weak and sad.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2917 on: January 03, 2014, 07:51:08 PM »

bring it

Constant Motion rules!

I enjoy the energy constant motion has. JP's guitar solo and dimebag style squeal make it really great, but that squeal live is weak and sad.

The JP & JR solos are the only parts of the song I like.  The rest is too Metallica sounding and not the good Metallica.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2918 on: January 03, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »

bring it

Constant Motion rules!

The JP & JR solos are the only parts of the song I like.  The rest is too Metallica sounding and not the good Metallica.

It's straight up Master of Puppets style Metallica (and the intro riff and chorus sound nothing like Metallica). If that's not the good Metallica, then I don't know what is. :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2919 on: January 03, 2014, 07:59:03 PM »

bring it

Constant Motion rules

It's straight up Master of Puppets style Metallica (and the intro riff and chorus sound nothing like Metallica). If that's not the good Metallica, then I don't know what is. :lol

The intro riff doesn't sound like Metallica?  When the last time you cleaned out your ears?  ;) 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2920 on: January 03, 2014, 08:04:07 PM »
The intro riff doesn't sound like Metallica?  When the last time you cleaned out your ears?  ;) 

Metallica couldn't have ever played a riff like that if their lives depended on it, buddy. :lol That main riff is something like 5/8, 6/8, 5/8, 15/16, whereas Metallica were lucky to use the odd time sig lop-off here and there, and the wide spanning single note riff and some of those note choices were not something I'd associate with Metallica's very limited musical playbook at all.
The verse riff just after that has Metallica written all over it though.

« Reply #2921 on: January 03, 2014, 08:11:58 PM »
Even among you guys praising Constant Motion, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is a controversial opinion:

I really like the second verse where LaBrie and Portnoy rap back and forth.  :metal

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2922 on: January 03, 2014, 08:14:59 PM »
That's actually one of those sections where I really like Portnoy's vocals. Love that back and forth.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2923 on: January 03, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »

Metallica couldn't have ever played a riff like that if their lives depended on it, buddy. :lol That main riff is something like 5/8, 6/8, 5/8, 15/16, whereas Metallica were lucky to use the odd time sig lop-off here and there, and the wide spanning single note riff and some of those note choices were not something I'd associate with Metallica's very limited musical playbook at all.
The verse riff just after that has Metallica written all over it though.

You're overanalyzing this.  The sound is Metallica whether they are playing in 10/8 or 4/4.  I won't disagree with you that the verse riff is MORE Metallica sounding though. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2924 on: January 03, 2014, 08:29:38 PM »
I think "how much a riff sounds like Metallica" mostly falls into the realm of personal opinion.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2925 on: January 03, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »
I think "how much a riff sounds like Metallica" mostly falls into the realm of who gives a fuck.
FTFM.

« Reply #2926 on: January 03, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »
After a song like As I Am, I'm finding it a little silly that people are complaining that Constant Motion is ripping off Metallica.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2927 on: January 03, 2014, 08:32:09 PM »
I'm not the biggest Metallica fan, but Constant Motion sounds more like Metallica to me than As I Am does.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2928 on: January 03, 2014, 08:36:01 PM »
I'm not the biggest Metallica fan, but Constant Motion sounds more like Metallica to me than As I Am does.
I agree. As I Am sounds more like Corrosion of Conformity to me. :neverusethis:

« Reply #2929 on: January 03, 2014, 08:37:56 PM »
I think As I Am sounds very Metallica-ish. At least Black Album influenced. And heck, James even does a "Yeeeah!"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2930 on: January 03, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »
After a song like As I Am, I'm finding it a little silly that people are complaining that Constant Motion is ripping off Metallica.

I don't think anyone said "ripping off."  There's a difference between "ripping off" and "sounding like."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2931 on: January 03, 2014, 08:43:15 PM »
I don't think As I Am sounds anything like Metallica, other than having heavy riffing. And once the vocals kick in, forget about it.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2932 on: January 03, 2014, 08:47:25 PM »
Actually, thinking about the vocal melody, I can picture Hetfield singing it. I can very much see how that song sounds like Metallica.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2933 on: January 03, 2014, 08:47:41 PM »
I don't think As I Am sounds anything like Metallica, other than having heavy riffing. And once the vocals kick in, forget about it.

I was just going to say that.   I never for a moment would compare As I Am to Metallica. 

« Reply #2934 on: January 03, 2014, 08:48:29 PM »

Yeah, but same could be said about Constant Motion. Both have certain elements reminiscent of Metallica, but ultimately, also have parts that are nothing like Metallica. And considering that Metallica have always been one of DT's influences, I don't see the big deal.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2935 on: January 03, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »
Actually, thinking about the vocal melody, I can picture Hetfield singing it. I can very much see how that song sounds like Metallica.

:rollin The vocal melody is so far from Metallica, I don't even know where to start. It has a range of an octave rather than grunting out the root note, and it's not at all a scale Hetfield has ever sung in. And whatever key you put the song in, it would be way out of Hetfield's range anyway. If you can picture Hetfield singing that, you have an amazing imagination, my friend. :P

The verse melody (or lack thereof?) in Constant Motion is pure Metallica though. It's mostly the E root note, with the occasional third and lower 7th. That is the limited kind of melody Hetfield is known for, not a wide spanning Mixolydian melody in a high vocal register.

« Reply #2936 on: January 03, 2014, 09:10:46 PM »
:rollin The vocal melody is so far from Metallica, I don't even know where to start. It has a range of an octave rather than grunting out the root note, and it's not at all a scale Hetfield has ever sung in. And whatever key you put the song in, it would be way out of Hetfield's range anyway. If you can picture Hetfield singing that, you have an amazing imagination, my friend. :P

While that may be true, I can definitely picture him singing, "As I Aaaam! Yeyah!"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2937 on: January 03, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »

While that may be true, I can definitely picture him singing, "As I Aaaam! Yeyah!"

Yeah, I can picture it for that line. Although it would be even more Hetfield if he sang it as AS I AAAAAAAAMMMM-AHHHHHHHH! :P

Offline Cable

« Reply #2938 on: January 03, 2014, 09:29:42 PM »
Yeah, only that end part you guys mentioned reminds me of Hetfield.

This Dying Souls Blackened part is a whole other story though!
---

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2939 on: January 03, 2014, 10:04:54 PM »

Yeah, I can picture it for that line. Although it would be even more Hetfield if he sang it as AS I AAAAAAAAMMMM-AHHHHHHHH! :P
DON'T
TELL ME WHATS EEEHEN
TELL ME HOW TO WRITE-AH