Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979305 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #1120 on: August 13, 2013, 06:39:42 AM »
Awake is amazing!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

But some days I wake up thinking I&W is the best...

I used to love Awake, when I first got into DT all I listened to was SDOIT and Awake. SDOIT is still good whereas I haven't been able to get through awake in one sitting in many, many years

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: August 13, 2013, 06:40:26 AM »
Surrounded is easily a top 10 DT song.

Top 5 for me, even.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline thosava

« Reply #1122 on: August 13, 2013, 08:10:23 AM »

Top 5 for me, even.

Same for me, number 5 on my list  ;)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1123 on: August 13, 2013, 08:17:26 AM »
It's going to be tough for DT12 to beat Impermanent Resonance based on what we've heard (single) and seen (interviews) so far.

Does that count?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: August 13, 2013, 08:19:03 AM »
 :yarr

Offline LTE3

« Reply #1125 on: August 13, 2013, 08:37:15 AM »

I love Mangini as a person and as a drummer - but his solos bore me to death.

I don't like listening to anything where it's primarily about technique rather than just playing a groove with some tasty fills...

In music college - i'd hear guitarists go " Oh that scale worked great over that altered chord ".

It just leaves me cold - i'd rather hear one note being played with 100% feel than some alternate scale simply because the theory behind it is interesting.

so you miss MP.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #1126 on: August 13, 2013, 09:03:52 AM »
John should go back the Ibanez,

When he was with Ibanez, his playing was more interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNRX_5o2YD8
:hefdaddy to JPs playing in that vid.

Whoa.. This is just amazing. Why doesn't have play anymore with this kind of groove? :p

Some more killer Ibanez playing with feeling.https://youtu.be/DynYO_-MxZk
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: August 13, 2013, 10:31:03 AM »
I often think that Take The Time is the best song always done, it's so fresh, powerful, catchy and varied.

:tup
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: August 13, 2013, 10:48:24 AM »

Top 5 for me, even.

#4 in my list  :tup

John should go back the Ibanez,

When he was with Ibanez, his playing was more interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNRX_5o2YD8

Not sure is has to do with the guitar but yeah, back in the day JP blew my mind a lot more than he does nowadays. He's lost his groovynes in favor of a more technical/fast way of playing
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1129 on: August 13, 2013, 11:01:15 AM »
A Dramatic Turn of Events was a pretty terrible album.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #1130 on: August 13, 2013, 11:46:44 AM »
I usually forget that WDADU is DT's first album... Am I doing it right...? :neverusethis:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1131 on: August 13, 2013, 12:20:29 PM »
I try to forget that WDaDU is DT's first album...

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1132 on: August 13, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »
I usually forget that WDADU is DT's first album... Am I doing it right...? :neverusethis:

There are quite a few bands where I'd be much happier not counting their debut albums. Not that WDADU is that terrible, but it just kills the consistency of what I'd say an otherwise near perfect discography.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #1133 on: August 13, 2013, 12:26:03 PM »
Can someone explain to me what exactly is so amazing about Awake? The only "classic" DT song on that album is SDV. Strangely enough, I also think Scarred is my favorite song from that album, and a lot of you people seem to hate it for some incomprehensible reason. Scarred is probably the catchiest "long" song on that album, and how can you not love the drumming near the end of the song? And that bass intro? I don't get DTF's opinions on this album as a whole. Really, guys?

I really love Scarred as well, so agree there! :tup However, I pretty much love All of Awake, come to think of it. SDV might be my least favorite song on the album, but it's still a great track. The only reason it's least favorite is cause I generally listen to that album for heavier stuff, and then SDV happens and I'm like Oh. Haha.

Does no one else share my absolute eternal love for Caught in a Web?? It's easily my favorite from Awake.
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #1134 on: August 13, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »

There are quite a few bands where I'd be much happier not counting their debut albums. Not that WDADU is that terrible, but it just kills the consistency of what I'd say an otherwise near perfect discography.

Totally agreed. Some of the songs are great...but I'd love it if they went back into the studio or something for those (yes, not going to happen and I know of WDADRU). "Kills the consistency" is the nicest way to put it  :tup
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

« Reply #1135 on: August 13, 2013, 12:28:07 PM »
Does no one else share my absolute eternal love for Caught in a Web?? It's easily my favorite from Awake.

I love Caught In A Web. Maybe not my absolute favorite on the album, but close.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1136 on: August 13, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »

Like Rush? That's the first band that comes to my mind.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #1137 on: August 13, 2013, 12:33:18 PM »

I love Caught In A Web. Maybe not my absolute favorite on the album, but close.

Yes! I wish DT wrote more shorter songs like this; very compact, strong, and proggy.

« Reply #1138 on: August 13, 2013, 12:38:12 PM »

Like Rush? That's the first band that comes to my mind.

I haven't really listened to Rush's discography in full. But oftentimes, the problem is that any given band that has those elements that make them great, or make them unique, still haven't actually found their sound by the time they record their first album. By the second album, they usually know, and from there on out, you get a discography of tight, well written songs. Then you go back to the first one, and it just sounds like a mish mash of ideas that sound a little amateurish.

I wish WDADU was released BEFORE they had to change their band name. Then it could be considered the one and only Majesty album, and not 'Dream Theater'.

Yes! I wish DT wrote more shorter songs like this; very compact, strong, and proggy.

Proggy? Are we listening to the same song? I mean, yes, it has its prog elements, but there are other songs on the album that are compact, strong and proggy. CIAW, IMO, stands out because of its badass guitar riffage.  :metal

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #1139 on: August 13, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »
Well, I guess what I meant was that, despite the compact structure and short length, it is still thoroughly a DT song and not just a generic rocker. I think the heavy and proggy elements are blended very well.

« Reply #1140 on: August 13, 2013, 12:42:43 PM »
Ah yes. That makes sense.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #1141 on: August 13, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
STOP AGREEING ON STUFF. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE CONTROVERSIAL.  :censored :censored :censored

LSOAD is my least favorite song from Awake and is in my bottom 10 songs from DT.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #1142 on: August 13, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »
STOP AGREEING ON STUFF. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE CONTROVERSIAL.  :censored :censored :censored

LSOAD is my least favorite song from Awake and is in my bottom 10 songs from DT.

:lol

LSOAD used to be pretty boring for me, but then I discovered the dissonance+resolution in the harmonies on the last chorus and I was like :dangerwillrobinson: THIS IS AMAZING. Literally changed the entire song just because of that one moment in the music.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #1143 on: August 13, 2013, 01:33:03 PM »

Agreed.

...oh wait...

« Reply #1144 on: August 13, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »

I agree.  :lol

Seriously, no, I don't have anything against LSOAD, but I prefer ballads like Hollow Years, Take Away My Pain, and Through Her Eyes.

It's funny though, DT has always gone on record saying that LSOAD was inspired by bands like U2. People still love it, but then they hear stuff on Octavarium and be like, "Man, that sounds like something U2 would do! If I wanted to hear U2 I'd listen to U2!"

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #1145 on: August 13, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »
Is it controversial that I hate Hollow Years? I made a big rant about it in another thread...I feel like the only times people mention it is to say they like it. I seriously might be able to say it's the only DT song I might actually hate...

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #1146 on: August 13, 2013, 01:54:37 PM »
Is it controversial that I hate Hollow Years? I made a big rant about it in another thread...I feel like the only times people mention it is to say they like it. I seriously might be able to say it's the only DT song I might actually hate...

That probably IS controversial for the majority, but I agree to an extent.  I don't HATE it, but I probably have listened to every other song on FII more than it, and that's saying something.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1147 on: August 13, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »
The Enemy Inside is incredibly catchy.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1148 on: August 13, 2013, 01:57:22 PM »
The Enemy Inside is incredibly catchy.
That's not really controversial... seeing as a majority (including myself) really like it :P

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #1149 on: August 13, 2013, 02:03:48 PM »
That probably IS controversial for the majority, but I agree to an extent.  I don't HATE it, but I probably have listened to every other song on FII more than it, and that's saying something.

Yeah, FII is the only album I struggle to listen to all the way through. And it's not 100% because of the songwriting, but I also feel like JLB sounds his worst on that album and it bugs me to all hell.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1150 on: August 13, 2013, 02:23:10 PM »

Studio version or LaB? The live version on LaB is fantastic, dat solo!!! :metal

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #1151 on: August 13, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »
Oh, I haven't watched my LaB DVD yet....  :-[ Got it as a gift last November and...well, there are several reasons I haven't watched it yet. But they're dumb reasons. Perhaps I will tonight! Oh, but video games....Doctor Who.... D:

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1152 on: August 13, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »
I want to go back on why I dislike the Awake album and don't understand the love it gets. To me, I&W is DT's best album, because all of the songs have a definite memorable quality that makes all the songs distinct. I can hear a single second of any of the songs and immediately pinpoint which song it is. Even with songs that are constantly changing and that involve a million riffs and solos, I feel like all the songs on I&W have a strong continuity, where every melody is perfectly logical for its place in the song, and every melody fits in with the preceding melody.

Awake, to my ears, sounds like a lot of generic heavy metal riffs thrown together haphazardly. Some of the riffs are good, but it doesn't change the fact that, in my opinion, the melodies on Awake just don't flow together. Every moment on that album has an intangible quality of just... blandness, and blandness that doesn't fit with the blandness that preceded it. It just doesn't click with me.

Now, Awake isn't a bad album, by any means, and every song has at least something likeable about it, but the point I'm trying to make is, according to my ears, the riffs feel thrown together, unlike the perfectly constructed I&W, and many of the melodies seem subpar, while the I&W melodies were all sublime.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: August 13, 2013, 02:50:43 PM »

It's a top ten Dream Theater song for me. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #1154 on: August 13, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »

It IS controversial for two DTFers to agree on anything  :lol