Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979453 times)

Offline LTE3

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #1085 on: August 11, 2013, 10:55:50 PM »
No way. Nothing beats the original Stargazer. Those covers are good but don't even come close to the originals IMO.

I was referring to the Originals on BC&SL. The cover album is better.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #1086 on: August 11, 2013, 10:58:45 PM »
- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is their best album. Followed by Awake and SFAM.
- DT's "Roadrunner albums" are nowhere near their earlier ones.
- Portnoy had a fair point when he asked for a hiatus/break to recharge batteries and maybe get the creativity flowing again. I wish the rest of the guys had agreed to that.
- Jordan is an amazing player and seems like a great guy, but I'm not a fan of his playing style. Kevin obviously didn't want to be part of the band anymore, but I wish they had kept Derek.
Some good points, and I agree at times Derek's tone choices I favor of Jordan's. Although Jordan is a much better musician over all.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #1087 on: August 11, 2013, 11:21:09 PM »
Now for the band look, it is past time for JP to cut his hair and face the fact he is going bald, James should stop trimming his eyebrows so thin. Look back at the Marque documentary and see how they used to look. John should go back the Ibanez, or at least his old sound. Jordan should use the hammond B-3 organ sound way more than he does, and stop with the pop pop pop doodle pop he seems to love. Mike Mangini need to stop ironing his hair straight it looks awful.
We need to hear some songs that MP had more of a hand in on this tour whether it was lyric writing or backup singing. JP enough with the weights already or change your diet so you get some definition of your muscle tone. You are just starting to look weird and did I mention you hair needs help.
Also will you ever an acoustic guitar in concert like Alex in Rush does. It would be a nice change.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1088 on: August 11, 2013, 11:47:04 PM »
Now for the band look, it is past time for JP to cut his hair and face the fact he is going bald, James should stop trimming his eyebrows so thin. Look back at the Marque documentary and see how they used to look. John should go back the Ibanez, or at least his old sound. Jordan should use the hammond B-3 organ sound way more than he does, and stop with the pop pop pop doodle pop he seems to love. Mike Mangini need to stop ironing his hair straight it looks awful.
We need to hear some songs that MP had more of a hand in on this tour whether it was lyric writing or backup singing. JP enough with the weights already or change your diet so you get some definition of your muscle tone. You are just starting to look weird and did I mention you hair needs help.
Also will you ever an acoustic guitar in concert like Alex in Rush does. It would be a nice change.

Dude o.o stop messing with Petrucci's hair.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1089 on: August 12, 2013, 01:20:12 AM »
-1. That Images and Words is sounding very dated, and many rave about it because of popular opinion, but not because they listen to it that much anymore ;

and

-2. That John Myung isn't actually a Ninja, but in fact a combination of Chuck Norris' skills, Kevin Sorbo's swordplay, Hasselhoffs charm, and Steven Segals hair, all wrapped into one - making him an uber-human...

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1090 on: August 12, 2013, 01:24:10 AM »
-1. That Images and Words is sounding very dated, and many rave about it because of popular opinion, but not because they listen to it that much anymore ;

Well, there are certain elements about it that sound very 90s, sure, but that doesn't mean it's not genuinely enjoyable in spite, or even because of them. I listen to it on a regular basis.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1091 on: August 12, 2013, 01:31:51 AM »

Well, there are certain elements about it that sound very 90s, sure, but that doesn't mean it's not genuinely enjoyable in spite, or even because of them. I listen to it on a regular basis.

Hence a 'controversial opinion' :yarr Awesome bud, glad you still enjoy it  :tup

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1092 on: August 12, 2013, 04:07:34 AM »
Mike Mangini need to stop ironing his hair straight it looks awful.

This.

He did last tour.

Offline jsem

« Reply #1093 on: August 12, 2013, 04:11:15 AM »
It's probably the DT album that gets most frequently played by me. But I barely listen to DT anymore so whatever.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #1094 on: August 12, 2013, 04:55:57 AM »
I like Octavarium, TOT and 6DOIT more than I&W. I don't enjoy listening to ACOS, and I think it's the 20 min song I like the least.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1095 on: August 12, 2013, 05:13:03 AM »
-WDADU is full of amazing songs that are almost unlistenable due to the production

:biggrin:

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1096 on: August 12, 2013, 06:15:37 AM »
What are you trying to deny that WDADU is the sonic equivalent of a turd? Good luck.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1097 on: August 12, 2013, 06:18:04 AM »
What are you trying to deny that WDADU is the sonic equivalent of a turd? Good luck.

I admit that the production sucks, but it doesn't make the songs unlistenable. It's not THAT bad.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: August 12, 2013, 06:27:38 AM »
John should go back the Ibanez,

When he was with Ibanez, his playing was more interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNRX_5o2YD8

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1099 on: August 12, 2013, 07:53:29 AM »
I admit that the production sucks, but it doesn't make the songs unlistenable. It's not THAT bad.
Agreed. Good music is good music even if the sound quality ain't great.
-Surrounded is a terrible song with no redeeming qualities, one of my least favorite DT songs
-Awake is an average album with a lot of songs I don't like, and not a single song I would consider a DT classic
:(

Offline jsem

« Reply #1100 on: August 12, 2013, 08:28:49 AM »

When he was with Ibanez, his playing was more interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNRX_5o2YD8
:hefdaddy to JPs playing in that vid.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1101 on: August 12, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
JP's hair looks best when it's short. There, I said it.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1102 on: August 12, 2013, 01:00:52 PM »
JP's hair looks best when it's short. There, I said it.

Haha! I wouldn't say it looks best short, but I am a fan of this look for sure:

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #1103 on: August 12, 2013, 06:53:06 PM »
Can someone explain to me what exactly is so amazing about Awake? The only "classic" DT song on that album is SDV. Strangely enough, I also think Scarred is my favorite song from that album, and a lot of you people seem to hate it for some incomprehensible reason. Scarred is probably the catchiest "long" song on that album, and how can you not love the drumming near the end of the song? And that bass intro? I don't get DTF's opinions on this album as a whole. Really, guys?

Offline krieger

« Reply #1104 on: August 12, 2013, 07:30:10 PM »
Awake is amazing!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

But some days I wake up thinking I&W is the best...
"Likely or not, it's a dream that we keep
and at odds with our senses we'll climb
But if faith is the answer, we've already reached it
And if spirit's a sign then it's only a matter of time."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: August 12, 2013, 07:33:25 PM »
First three songs on Awake :  :tup

Everything after that :  :\

( my opinion ) .

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1106 on: August 12, 2013, 07:37:20 PM »
These Walls is one of my least favorite DT songs. Don't dislike it, but it really never did much for me.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1107 on: August 12, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »
Can someone explain to me what exactly is so amazing about Awake? The only "classic" DT song on that album is SDV. Strangely enough, I also think Scarred is my favorite song from that album, and a lot of you people seem to hate it for some incomprehensible reason. Scarred is probably the catchiest "long" song on that album, and how can you not love the drumming near the end of the song? And that bass intro? I don't get DTF's opinions on this album as a whole. Really, guys?

I enjoy these types of opinions, as they really show the diversity of the music, and the fans reactions. I really enjoy awake, but for me, I think Space Dye Vest is one of the worst things they have done, yet love a great deal of the other material like The Mirror, Lie (particularly that ending solo), Innocence Faded, Voices, and my very fave, and one you already touched on - Scarred. But as much as I dislike SDV, the theme in that song, and how it is used in different tones in some of the other songs, is quite brilliant, and adds some really good cohesion. Not to mention, it sets a more dark and heavy tone following I&W, so it was very fresh sounding at the time, and could possibly resonate more with the fans who like the heavier stuff. So you likely aren't alone in your opinion (in fact, I feel the same way about I&W), but thats at least a little insight to why I at least really enjoy that album.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1108 on: August 12, 2013, 09:34:53 PM »
Awake might be my 2nd-least favorite DT album, to be honest. It's nowhere near bad, but the only songs on it I really like are 6:00 and The Mirror, the rest ranges from subpar to okay.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline adastra

« Reply #1109 on: August 12, 2013, 10:54:08 PM »

:hefdaddy to JPs playing in that vid.

Whoa.. This is just amazing. Why doesn't have play anymore with this kind of groove? :p
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1110 on: August 12, 2013, 10:55:19 PM »
These Walls is one of my least favorite DT songs. Don't dislike it, but it really never did much for me.

And my controversial opinion is that it is one of my all-time favorites. For most, I guess it's just a mid-tier song.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline adastra

« Reply #1111 on: August 12, 2013, 11:00:20 PM »

And my controversial opinion is that it is one of my all-time favorites. For most, I guess it's just a mid-tier song.

One of my favourites too! 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1112 on: August 12, 2013, 11:26:56 PM »
No way. Nothing beats the original Stargazer. Those covers are good but don't even come close to the originals IMO.

My reply was to TGP.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1113 on: August 13, 2013, 12:36:01 AM »

Likewise, maybe even top 20 for me. It's possibly my favourite song on Octavarium, maybe more than the title track. Such beautiful melodies, a great lead line from JR, and a perfect use of changing time sigs that doesn't stick out. And it's one of their most tasteful songs. JP's solo has no shred at all. It's just a nice melody, that then repeats similarly over the final chorus.

Awake might be my 2nd-least favorite DT album, to be honest. It's nowhere near bad, but the only songs on it I really like are 6:00 and The Mirror, the rest ranges from subpar to okay.

It's one of my least favourite albums too, although I actually like the whole album up until Lie, and then dislike everything after that. We're in the controversial opinion thread, so I'm allowed to say that today!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1114 on: August 13, 2013, 12:37:19 AM »
My reply was to TGP.

He mans me. Not The Glass Prison.  :biggrin:
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #1115 on: August 13, 2013, 03:15:55 AM »
James Labrie's last two albums were better than Dream Theaters last two albums. This new one is amazing.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1116 on: August 13, 2013, 04:36:38 AM »
SDV is my #5 DT song. Voices however is easily my least favourite Awake tune.

And :tup for the These Walls love here!

Offline Estiui

« Reply #1117 on: August 13, 2013, 05:44:06 AM »
I don't know if these are controversial, I just needed to write it after reading some posts here:

Surrounded is easily a top 10 DT song.

I've never been able to love Scarred, although intro and outro are one of their best.

I often think that Take The Time is the best song ever done, it's so fresh, powerful, catchy and varied.

The only enjoyable thing of The Glass Prison might be the intro.

Rudess's lead solos have not been good for years, too much wankery . His piano/synth playing is way better.

The Mirror's intro and outro are simply genius.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:00:15 PM by Estiui »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1118 on: August 13, 2013, 05:49:20 AM »
not even close; I love it; no; no; yes; great, but there are better parts in the song

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: August 13, 2013, 06:26:54 AM »

It's one of my least favourite albums too, although I actually like the whole album up until Lie, and then dislike everything after that. We're in the controversial opinion thread, so I'm allowed to say that today!

I'm not overly keen on Awake. I love the opening three tracks but then it bores me.