Your Controversial Opinions on DT

Started by Lucidity, December 17, 2012, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevShmev

Quote from: MoraWintersoul on April 16, 2013, 01:29:39 PM
I agree with the so-far nonexistent people who think "mercy fuck" is worse than "sympathy" there.

I totally agree.  Mercy fuck would have sounded stupid in the studio version.  THANK GOD it was changed to sympathy.

?

Quote from: KevShmev on April 16, 2013, 09:48:15 PM
I agree with the so-far nonexistent people who think "mercy fuck" is worse than "sympathy" there.

I totally agree.  Mercy fuck would have sounded stupid in the studio version.  THANK GOD it was changed to sympathy.
Yeah, this.
Quote from: wasteland on April 16, 2013, 02:01:43 PM
Plus, I like BMUBMD.  :blush
It is a good song, although my least favorite on ADTOE. I still can't believe it was beaten by Never Enough in the league... :facepalm: I also agree with those who don't mind Burning My Soul - it's not overtly great, but I think there are 5 weaker songs on FII. Oh, and the Blind Faith chorus rules!

YtseJamittaja

Burning My Soul's has one of DT's most badass intros ever. Blind Faith chorus is good in studio version but oh gosh, how awful CIM version is.......

Also,
I like much more BC&SL mixing than ADTOE's. Latest's mix is much too weak and cold.

wasteland

Quote from: YtseJamittaja on April 16, 2013, 11:59:23 PM
Burning My Soul's has one of DT's most badass intros ever. Blind Faith chorus is good in studio version but oh gosh, how awful CIM version is.......

How true! I liked the original version of BMS with Hell's Kitchen inside, but without it... Not so much  :-\

Ruba

Quote from: wasteland on April 16, 2013, 02:01:43 PM
Plus, I like BMUBMD.  :blush

Get. Out.

:biggrin:

Quote from: JoeG on April 16, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
Only a Matter of Time is a top 20 DT song.

The most definately, YES!

sylvinception

I definitely LOVE "You not me" on the FII album!!
The chorus is awesome!!

Do I have to get out ?? :loser:

wasteland

Hey, this is the controversial thread! Nobody has to get our for a controversial opinion of his/hers!

sylvinception

wolfking

A controversial opinion:........um.......there is no dvd!

?

I think that's a controversial fact...

Bolsters

"Thanks to Over The Edge for all the controversy!"
Bolsters™

wolfking

Full Speed

Quote from: YtseJamittaja on April 16, 2013, 11:37:04 AM
I never found Metropolis pt. 2 so interesting and awesome than others. I think it's one of the weakest albums by DT.

Same. It was the first DT album I got into but it didn't do a whole lot for me. When SDOIT came out is when I really got into DT and got into their past material (most of which I prefer to SFAM).

tuto

I absolutely LOVE New Millennium, and I mean FUCKING LOVE IT  :metal

LieLowTheWantedMan

Quote from: KevShmev on April 16, 2013, 09:48:15 PM

Yeah. Then I'd have a new least favourite DT lyric and it'd beat out:
"So I hurt your feelings
Well I'm really sorry
But I don't give a shit
NOOOOO"

Okay, maybe it wouldn't beat it. :lol

PixelDream

Quote from: YtseJamittaja on April 16, 2013, 11:59:23 PM

Also,
I like much more BC&SL mixing than ADTOE's. Latest's mix is much too weak and cold.

That's exactly what I thought when I first listened to the album. The sound doesn't appeal to me at all, it's lifeless and flat. The strongest moment when it comes to mixing is when Jordan's electronic beat in Outcry comes in. Wallace mixed that in really loud, and it shows. It's an electronic sound, and it has more life to it than the entire record, sound-wise.

gmillerdrake

My controversial Opinion (theory) on DT:

Had Portnoy not began writing his AA saga....which subsequently led to taking multiple albums to complete....he would have left DT years ago. I think that MP's desire to be a perfectionist with his music and ideas wouldn't allow him to leave that unfinished and that was a major contributor keeping him around. I have no evidence other than observation and reading interviews/stories... how he's handled himself, what's been said by he and DT members.....how it all went down......I just really think that he'd have left years ago had he not began that AA suite.

I know MP is around these parts every now and then so if he (you) happen to read.....not trying to be mean MP.....just a controversial opinion of mine.

TheGreatPretender

I think technically, that would make it a controversial hypothesis. But very interesting.

gmillerdrake

Quote from: TheGreatPretender on April 17, 2013, 06:21:11 PM
I think technically, that would make it a controversial hypothesis. But very interesting.
Dang it! :( :censored I'm always getting caught on technicalities.....

Dark Castle

Train of Thought is a flat out bad album.

Zook

GasparXR

wasteland

Quote from: Dark Castle on April 17, 2013, 08:36:11 PM
Train of Thought is a flat out bad album.

Almost true for me. There are a few redeemimg moments, though  :tup

Lolzeez

BMU BMD is my least fav song by DT. Yes.

BlobVanDam

?

I guess this is controversial depending on one's opinion, but IMO Train of Thought > Falling into Infinity

aprilethereal

Quote from: ? on April 18, 2013, 08:20:48 AM
I guess this is controversial depending on one's opinion, but IMO Train of Thought > Falling into Infinity
:metal

Onno

That's not controversial; at least not for me :P

BlobVanDam

I think both have their fair share of lovers and haters for that not to be too controversial. I personally prefer FII, but ToT is a solid metal album with some of my favourite DT songs. :metal

?

Quote from: BlobVanDam on April 18, 2013, 08:44:10 AM
I think both have their fair share of lovers and haters for that not to be too controversial.
Yeah, I thought it might be controversial at least for some people, because both albums seem to be loved and hated almost equally.

Knguro

YOU KNOW WHAT?

ToT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Awake.

Scorpion

Quote from: Knguro on April 18, 2013, 09:38:44 AM
YOU KNOW WHAT?

Hell to the fucking no. Train of Thought isn't bad, but Awake is a masterpiece.

To bring some controversy from my side:

1. Falling into Infinity > Scenes from a Memory
2. Everything > Octavarium
3. I actually don't mind You Not Me. It's better than New Millenium.
4. I enjoy Prophets of War from time to time.

The following aren't really controversial, but more like things that have recently changed and would definitely be noticed by people familiar with my taste:

1. The Glass Prison has grown on me quite a while. For a long time, it was too one-dimensional and samey throughout, but I'm really starting to enjoy the relentless assault that it offers. Still my least favourite on SDOIT, but that's my favourite album, so that doesn't really mean a lot.
2. Six Degrees is actually quite cool as a song, though the Overture still bores me to tears. After that, though, every second is pretty damn awesome.
3. Panic Attack is actually pretty fun and has recently revealed itself as one of the four saving graces on Octavarium. The rest ranges from decent but boring (the title track) to downright awful (the rest).
4. Afterlife has really climbed my ranking, while TKH has dropped. In fact, I'd consider it my favourite off of WDADU right now.

?

Quote from: Scorpion on April 18, 2013, 09:48:48 AM
Quote from: Knguro on April 18, 2013, 09:38:44 AM
YOU KNOW WHAT?

Hell to the fucking no. Train of Thought isn't bad, but Awake is a masterpiece.
This. I also agree that YNM > NM and Afterlife is the best song on WDADU.