News:

Video of online chat between fans and members of Dream Theater:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA&feature=youtu.be (*no chickens were harmed during the filming of this chat)

Main Menu

Your Controversial Opinions on DT

Started by Lucidity, December 17, 2012, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruba

Quote from: BlobVanDam on April 14, 2013, 03:10:50 AM
Quote from: Tomislav95 on April 14, 2013, 03:08:51 AM
Come on, WDADU is not that bad. It's not fantastic album but IMO there is no bad songs.

Status Seeker, Light Fuse and Get Away, The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun and Only a Matter of Time are DT's absolute worst songs imo.

IMO, they are among the best. :biggrin: I didn't like LFAGA for some time, but last time I spun WDADU, I enjoyed it a lot.

Yeah, and:

Quote from: Onno on April 14, 2013, 02:22:01 AM
You Not Me is a better song than any song on BC&SL.

E:Sorry Onno, forgot FTFM  ;).

Onno

BlobVanDam

While YNM isn't as bad as everyone says (it's far too mediocre to warrant such hate), everything on BCASL is still miles better. Let's not get silly here!

Onno

Quote from: BlobVanDam on April 15, 2013, 05:56:35 AM
Because YNM is as bad as everyone says (pretty listenable except for the chorus, which is garbage), everything on BCASL is still miles better. Let's not get silly here!
FTFM

Rattlehead

Yeah, even the worst song on BC&SL is miles better than YNM in my opinion.

?

I think I might prefer YNM to AROP...

Bolsters

I'll take You Not Me over A Rite of Passage, The Shattered Fortress, or The Best of Times any day.

I often wonder if YNM would get anywhere near enough hate if people didn't know it was rewritten with an outside writer under orders from the interfering record company, or know of the existence of Your Or Me (though one of my controversial opinions is that YNM is better than YOM anyway). I think it still wouldn't be a universally loved song at all, but I don't think it would see quit as much hate as it gets, if not for that knowledge.
Bolsters™

BlobVanDam

Quote from: Bolsters on April 15, 2013, 08:01:14 AM
I often wonder if YNM would get anywhere near enough hate if people didn't know it was rewritten with an outside writer under orders from the interfering record company, or know of the existence of Your Or Me (though one of my controversial opinions is that YNM is better than YOM anyway). I think it still wouldn't be a universally loved song at all, but I don't think it would see quit as much hate as it gets, if not for that knowledge.

I think that's probably part of the hate for some people, although I couldn't care less about that, and the song is still not very good to me, so it would still be considered one of DT's lesser songs imo. But it's not completely terrible. There are still worse DT songs. I mean, there's always WDADU.

KevShmev

Isn't it funny how Rule number 12 is basically thrown out the window in this thread? :lol

Big Hath

Quote from: BlobVanDam on April 15, 2013, 01:24:31 AM
Quote from: Dublagent66 on April 14, 2013, 12:32:18 PM
No more clunker ballads.  FFH & BTS on ADTOE definitely lived up to their titles.  The only two songs that kept it from being a highly consistent album.  I skip them every time.  The album ends with a whimper on BTS, not a bang.  If they want to slow things down fine, but do it within a longer more progressive song.  The stand alone ballads are getting old.  I hope they do away with them on this next album.

THANK YOU. It's a fizzle ending. I don't mind FFH though. I think that one had some emotion to it, and was a nice song. Not as good as older stuff like Vacant or Disappear though.

I sort of agree on BTS.  But I am not a fan of Disappear at all.  I almost always skip that track or hit eject to put in disc 2 if I'm in the car.  And for me, about the only redeeming quality for Vacant is it's introduction to Stream of Consciousness.

If I'm listening to 6DOIT (disc 1) and TOT, it's because I want my face melted with awesome heaviness.  Those two tracks seem really out of place for me.

TheGreatPretender

I'd take You Not Me over Innocence Faded, The Great Debate and New Millennium.

MoraWintersoul

Quote from: TheGreatPretender on April 15, 2013, 10:31:16 AM
I'd take You Not Me over Innocence Faded
I'd take any guy over the guy who takes YNM over IF.

Bit of a joke BUT WHY. IF is the ultimate "young JLB is awesome" song.

wasteland

Looks like YNM is experiencing an unexpected surge of popularity. I am not that fond of IF, but come on!  :lol

TheGreatPretender

Quote from: MoraWintersoul on April 15, 2013, 10:39:59 AM
Bit of a joke BUT WHY. IF is the ultimate "young JLB is awesome" song.

How's that? He takes his vocals further on many other songs on the album, not the least of which are Scarred and Voices. What makes IF the 'ultimate' in that department?

Also, I do like IF better than Erotomania. So on that note, I'd take YNM over Erotomania.

theseoafs

I have never seen more fail in a single sentence.

MoraWintersoul

Quote from: TheGreatPretender on April 15, 2013, 10:56:02 AM
What makes IF the 'ultimate' in that department?
It's not about how far they're taken, it's just his tone there, and the way that the whole vocaled-section of the song is completely built on him, and it just goes more and more spectacular, and then when the lyrics are over, that solo-section comes on, like it says "oh yeah and this is the awesome instrumental stuff we didn't cram in there because it would be overshadowed otherwise" :biggrin:

?

YNM is better than New Millennium, but TGD and IF - seriously?! :o

KevShmev

This thread is just proof that every imaginable opinion is held by some fan out there.  I am waiting for the "I like You Not Me more than Metropolis" post from someone. :lol

theseoafs

I mean, You Not Me is better Metropolis, but that's neither here nor there.

KevShmev

TheGreatPretender

Quote from: MoraWintersoul on April 15, 2013, 11:00:34 AM
It's not about how far they're taken, it's just his tone there, and the way that the whole vocaled-section of the song is completely built on him, and it just goes more and more spectacular, and then when the lyrics are over, that solo-section comes on, like it says "oh yeah and this is the awesome instrumental stuff we didn't cram in there because it would be overshadowed otherwise" :biggrin:

The whole reason IF lacks any kind of impact on me, is because honestly, to me it sounds almost like a straight up Rush song. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if I want to hear a Rush song, I'll listen to Rush.

aprilethereal

You not me = Misunderstood quality wise

KevShmev

Innocence Faded doesn't sound like Rush.  At all.

TheGreatPretender

Quote from: aprilethereal on April 15, 2013, 11:09:44 AM

I don't know what that means, but Misunderstood is amazing.

Quote from: KevShmev on April 15, 2013, 11:11:01 AM
Innocence Faded doesn't sound like Rush.  At all.

I think it does. Honestly, I think it sounds more "Rushy" than any other Dream Theater song.

KevShmev

Rush fan for 22 years now, DT for 20, and I have never listened to Innocence Faded and thought, "This sounds like Rush."  I think you need new ears.

TheGreatPretender

Quote from: KevShmev on April 15, 2013, 11:16:01 AM
Rush fan for 22 years now, DT for 20, and I have never listened to Innocence Faded and thought, "This sounds like Rush."  I think you need new ears.

Yeah, well the jerk store called, they're runnin' outa YOU!

KevShmev

What's the difference?  You're their all-time best seller.

TheGreatPretender

Quote from: KevShmev on April 15, 2013, 11:17:55 AM
Well, I had sex with your wife!

KevShmev

I love how confused non-Seinfeld fans have to be right now. :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

TheGreatPretender

Podaar

Quote from: TheGreatPretender on April 15, 2013, 11:18:26 AM

His wife's in a coma...

Big Hath

Quote from: Podaar on April 15, 2013, 11:30:48 AM
Quote from: TheGreatPretender on April 15, 2013, 11:18:26 AM

His wife's in a coma...

oh geeeez, I'm rolling!!!   :rollin

that episode is so awesome

aprilethereal

Quote from: TheGreatPretender on April 15, 2013, 11:14:46 AM

I wanted to say that IMO Misunderstood sucks as hard as YNM does  :smiley:

TheGreatPretender

Quote from: aprilethereal on April 15, 2013, 11:44:20 AM
Quote from: TheGreatPretender on April 15, 2013, 11:14:46 AM

I wanted to say that IMO Misunderstood sucks as hard as YNM does  :smiley:

Well, if you have a bunch of people talking about how YNM isn't that bad, or people like me who actually quite like it, you can understand how that statement can be a little confusing. I was like, "Sure, I guess... Does that mean he likes it or hates it?"

aprilethereal

I realised that too after your statement. :lol