Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979327 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #525 on: January 09, 2013, 12:09:31 PM »
It is true that non DT fans dislike him...

However I think this is mostly due to them following a trend of hating on LaBrie as it automatically comes up whenever DT is mentioned.

I've never had a problem with LaBries voice.

It doesnt sound like your typical metal singer and THATS why I like it,

It doesnt sound like some 6ft 6 body builder with hair down to his knees with one foot on the monitor giving the crowd the middle finger and saying fuck every other word.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #526 on: January 09, 2013, 12:48:55 PM »
I like that about him. He's not a traditional metal singer. He presents himself with a great deal more class and finesse.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: January 09, 2013, 02:53:40 PM »
And you don't get the feeling that it's all machismo and front.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #528 on: January 09, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »
Exactly.

o/
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #529 on: January 09, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »
Some of listeners are definitely precarious when JLB and his voice matter. When they watch his performances from 1990-94 era they fall in love right away. They think he is God in that era but some unfortunate circumstances happened and changed JLB's life in some extent. This include his voice. True that his voice has never sounded same, that wild and rough. But he is still James LaBrie. And when some of fans consider his actual voice (including 95-02 era) they turn into vocal expert and criticize him unfairly like his is the weakest link of the band, he always sounds awful.. ect. Well I'm the one, thinks that his 2010-2012 era is his best in this condition.

The thing is about him not the wild voice or random screams which he used to do. His timbre is unique. That's why I love him and I'm sure most of you love him for that reason. There is no James LaBrie out there. He can have off nights but who doesn't? Saying that he is not my cup of tea is completely understandable but saying that he is not a good singer is somewhat odd knocking.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: January 09, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »

The thing is about him not the wild voice or random screams which he used to do. His timbre is unique. That's why I love him and I'm sure most of you love him for that reason. There is no James LaBrie out there. He can have off nights but who doesn't? Saying that he is not my cup of tea is completely understandable but saying that he is not a good singer is somewhat odd knocking.

There is no spoon?

FWIW I don't find too many flaws in his voice.  Though I think his work on Images in Words (Another Day specifically) really shines. I don't recall many other tracks SFAM and onward with the range he sings in Another Day.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #531 on: January 09, 2013, 04:56:45 PM »
My only controversial opinion with LaBrie, and it's a big one, is that he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else than on stage.

He looks soooooooo bored and uninterested.  He's the fucking Front Man and he needs to fucking OWN the stage and the crowd.  Without actually saying it, he needs to say to the crowd "we're fucking Dream Theater and we're gonna fucking OWN you tonight".  Instead he finishes his lyric, looks down and walks off stage, then comes back looking like he just woke up from a nap or something.  He's the only one who has true freedom on stage to go anywhere and do anything while performing.  He's not bad for the first few songs then he just starts slowly strolling around and zzzzzzzzzzz....

I'm not saying for him to be a Jon Bon Jovi or a Freddie Mercury, but come on, we're excited to be here and for a lot of people it's their first DT show or maybe they only see DT once every few years.  OWN ME, JAMES, ROX MY SOX OFF!

I was hoping with pseudo-Front Man MP gone he'd step up but he really didn't.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: January 09, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »

I'm not saying for him to be a Jon Bon Jovi

So you want him to suck even more?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: January 09, 2013, 04:59:20 PM »
I'm not saying for him to be a Jon Bon Jovi or a Freddie Mercury, but come on, we're excited to be here and for a lot of people it's their first DT show or maybe they only see DT once every few years. 

For what it's worth, I saw DT for the first time on the ADToE tour, and I thought James was fine.  Certainly not the most engaging frontman in history, but not boring, either. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #534 on: January 09, 2013, 05:02:28 PM »
PetFish, yes I agree some of your points.

But this more than he names himself as a fucking frotman and I'm sure he knows that but you know this band has been had 2 frotmen for years. I believe this case limited his freedom on the stage, even from the beginning. I've never seen him completely free frontman until 2011-12 era.

From what I watch on youtube or read comments about the recent performances he fucking owned the stage and crowd.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #535 on: January 09, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »
Here's my controversial opinion: stage presence is overrated. For me, the music is the important part. I don't care if the guys on stage are sorta boring as long as they play well. Robert Fripp plays sitting down and looks like an old grump, but he's a phenomenal musician. Would I prefer engaging performers? Of course, but it's not that big a deal.

But anyway, James does fine.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #536 on: January 09, 2013, 05:05:06 PM »
I do wish JLB would spend some more time on stage. But there really isn't a whole lot he can do, but maybe engage the audience some more before walking off
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: January 09, 2013, 05:08:33 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I realize that he is a very good singer but I'd love to hear him sing low tones a lot more. I just feel like the guy knows he's really good at something and just sticks to it instead of trying to go for new horizons
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #538 on: January 09, 2013, 07:53:03 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll just work my way up from Images and Words.
Neat username. VdGG used to be my favourite band back when I was a prog nerd. My tastes branched out a lot, but I still love them to death. :heart :heart

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #539 on: January 09, 2013, 09:20:38 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I realize that he is a very good singer but I'd love to hear him sing low tones a lot more. I just feel like the guy knows he's really good at something and just sticks to it instead of trying to go for new horizons

Seriously? I feel like on ADTOE, there were by far not enough high parts from him. He just stayed in a relatively comfortable mid-range. I wanted to hear more high vocals like at the end of This Is The Life.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #540 on: January 10, 2013, 01:23:13 AM »
About frontmanship - I'm pretty sure not even Bruce Dickinson would stay on stage stomping around if Maiden were playing five minute solos :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #541 on: January 10, 2013, 02:18:39 AM »
About frontmanship - I'm pretty sure not even Bruce Dickinson would stay on stage stomping around if Maiden were playing five minute solos :lol
I think he remains mainly stationary because, as we all know, he is very into professionalism, and as far as properly breathing while singing is concerned, you can't exactly do that while running and jumping around on stage while you're trying to sing. I think he just remains stationary because he wants to give his best performance vocally. Just my opinion though.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #542 on: January 10, 2013, 04:04:41 AM »
Here's my controversial opinion: stage presence is overrated.
Would I prefer engaging performers? Of course, but it's not that big a deal.
Agreed. I'd rather see a band with an excellent singer who stands still for 1,5 hours instead of a band with a shitty vocalist who runs around the stage all the time. However, connecting with the crowd is an important thing IMO - not necessarily moving on the stage, but interacting with the audience and paying attention to them.

Also, if James' stage presence isn't good enough, then what should he do during the instrumental section of Metropolis or Outcry - do the court jester dance for 5 minutes?

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #543 on: January 10, 2013, 07:10:02 AM »
He should get a team of backup dancers and shuffle, jerk, dougie, and gangnam style for five minutes in 13/8.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #544 on: January 10, 2013, 07:14:08 AM »
His stage presence is underrated. Wait for the DVD and see what he brings. Of course you can't expect him to yell "Sing for me, Buenos Aires" in the middle of Wait For Sleep!  :biggrin:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #545 on: January 10, 2013, 07:25:46 AM »
And with the ASHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!! *G5*

Offline Scotto123

« Reply #546 on: January 17, 2013, 08:28:28 PM »
My only controversial opinion with LaBrie, and it's a big one, is that he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else than on stage.

He looks soooooooo bored and uninterested.  He's the fucking Front Man and he needs to fucking OWN the stage and the crowd.  Without actually saying it, he needs to say to the crowd "we're fucking Dream Theater and we're gonna fucking OWN you tonight".  Instead he finishes his lyric, looks down and walks off stage, then comes back looking like he just woke up from a nap or something.  He's the only one who has true freedom on stage to go anywhere and do anything while performing.  He's not bad for the first few songs then he just starts slowly strolling around and zzzzzzzzzzz....

I'm not saying for him to be a Jon Bon Jovi or a Freddie Mercury, but come on, we're excited to be here and for a lot of people it's their first DT show or maybe they only see DT once every few years.  OWN ME, JAMES, ROX MY SOX OFF!

I was hoping with pseudo-Front Man MP gone he'd step up but he really didn't.

I completely disagree with you. Everytime I've seen DT live (5 times), he's been energetic every time. Sure, he's no Bruce Dickinson in terms of energy, but that's not his thing. JLB focuses on giving people a good show, and that's what he does.

As for my "controversial" opinion in regards to DT, I would have to say that they really need an outside producer this time around. I believe they need someone to give them a different perspective. However, hopefully with MM now in the writing fold, that will happen. I think the main detriment to their writing process since SDOIT, was the formula they operated within. The whole go into the studio and write with no pre determined ideas or riffs.

Also, I think they shouldn't be afraid to go against the grain again. ADTOE was a step in right direction after the abomination of BCSL, but I think they should write together more. I remember a quote from JP stating that he was upset when he couldn't write all the lyrics to an album. Which is kind of weird. I think a band should be inspired by each other's ideas.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: January 17, 2013, 08:34:56 PM »
Also, I think they shouldn't be afraid to go against the grain again. ADTOE was a step in right direction after the abomination of BCSL

I don't understand this.  I personally prefer ADToE, but I would say between the two of them, BC&SL was the one that went against the grain. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Scotto123

« Reply #548 on: January 17, 2013, 08:39:05 PM »
Also, I think they shouldn't be afraid to go against the grain again. ADTOE was a step in right direction after the abomination of BCSL

I don't understand this.  I personally prefer ADToE, but I would say between the two of them, BC&SL was the one that went against the grain.

Fair enough. BCSL to me was just kind of "eh" and uninteresting. The lyrics were very uninteresting and uninspired IMO. But that's just me. Everyone's tastes are subjective.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #549 on: January 18, 2013, 07:49:37 AM »

So very true. ADTOE is the least "going against the grain" album they've probably ever written.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dreamer81

« Reply #550 on: January 18, 2013, 09:51:02 AM »
ADTOE was definitely a step in the right direction, SC and BC&SL were soooo disappointing..

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: January 18, 2013, 09:59:19 AM »
ADTOE was definitely a step in the right direction, SC and BC&SL were soooo disappointing..

Funny. I think SC is the last interesting disc they put out.  Never could get into BC&SL or ADToE!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #552 on: January 18, 2013, 10:03:56 AM »
I remember a quote from JP stating that he was upset when he couldn't write all the lyrics to an album. Which is kind of weird.
I remember JLB saying that he had a few other lyrics for ADTOE but they were rejected. I don't remember JP saying that though
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: January 18, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »
I remember a quote from JP stating that he was upset when he couldn't write all the lyrics to an album. Which is kind of weird.
I remember JLB saying that he had a few other lyrics for ADTOE but they were rejected. I don't remember JP saying that though

Yes, it's the first time I hear of that myself. Ah, I seem to remember that James submitted lyrics for Outcry. Can anyone confirm this or is it a fake memory of mine?
- Marco

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #554 on: January 18, 2013, 10:18:56 AM »
Funny. I think SC is the last interesting disc they put out.  Never could get into BC&SL or ADToE!

Well, that's certainly a controversial opinion. But not for me. SC rules!  :metal
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #555 on: January 18, 2013, 11:50:48 AM »
I think that BC&SL had the best overall vocals since Awake, and ADTOE was a huge step back. It was the way that he pronounced words and put emphasis on certain things on BC&SL that made me like it so much. That was something that was missing from most of their post-Awake albums.

And on the front man matter: James should just start dancing again.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #556 on: January 18, 2013, 01:27:11 PM »
first ... I have to jump in into the jlb controversy wagon..

not that i don't like it at all, but all my friends (non are prog fans) say they can't listen to dream theater cause labrie voice is too annoying, specially live.

Second,  i would like one album with less epic, metal, wankery. more hard rock oriented prog  a la FII lines in the sand/trial of tears. getting tire of the wankery, we all know they can wank all day long so epicly, fast and energetic that they can go back in time creating parallel universes with new versions of wankery.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #557 on: January 18, 2013, 01:40:27 PM »

Yes, it's the first time I hear of that myself. Ah, I seem to remember that James submitted lyrics for Outcry. Can anyone confirm this or is it a fake memory of mine?
I definitely saw this interview. It wasn't a control freak type thing though. He just simply said he would love to be able to write lyrics to every song on an album one day. He said every album he thinks he'll be able to but then someone will say they want to do lyrics for a song and he'll be like "damn". haha. I can tell he just wants to do it for the self satisfaction. As a musician, I totally understand that.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #558 on: January 18, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »
He just simply said he would love to be able to write lyrics to every song on an album one day. He said every album he thinks he'll be able to but then someone will say they want to do lyrics for a song and he'll be like "damn".
We need a Polite Pirate James meme :lol :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: January 18, 2013, 01:51:16 PM »
Well, if he has a coherent story to develope through the songs, or otherwise interwoven lyrics, I think the other would be glad to step down for an album, right? I would for sure. But if that's not the case I would rather have the others contribute as well, and actually step up to even up the lyrics count within each album.
- Marco