News:

The staff at DTF wish to remind you all that a firm grasp of the rules of Yahtzee can save your life and the lives of your loved ones.  Be safe out there.

Main Menu

Your Controversial Opinions on DT

Started by Lucidity, December 17, 2012, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeRoX

The Mirror and Lie are both the best pair, especially live. Close behind, Wait For Sleep and Learning To Live.

And I really don't like One Last Time - The Dance Of Eternity pair. Don't care TDOE but OLT works so well alone.

TheGreatPretender

Quote from: SeRoX on January 04, 2013, 02:06:46 PM
Don't care TDOE

As far as I'm concerned, that's a damn controversial opinion.

SeRoX

Good. It seems I use this thread to good advantage.

Cedar redaC

Quote from: toro on January 04, 2013, 08:09:57 AM
Quote from: BlobVanDam on January 03, 2013, 11:08:30 PM
They say a picture says 1000 words, so I'll go with that-

The Mirror is a healthy human being, and Lie is a chestburster that pops out of nowhere and completely kills it.
BUT BUT BUT.... THE REPRISE OF THE MIRROR AND THE ENDING ARE AMAZING.
RIGHT GUYS?
RIGHT? 
:-[
So, it's kind of like a reverse chestburster. :justjen

?

The Mirror and Lie together = :2metal: :2metal: :2metal: :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

The Dance of Eternity is one of those DT songs that is cool at first, but gets boring after you've heard it multiple times.
Quote from: MoraWintersoul on January 03, 2013, 03:04:16 PM
Would like to hear that demo of Kevin singing it MP talked about if it exists still somewhere. I know it doesn't because the world hates me. :mora:
Me too! The vocal melodies are very Kevin-ish, and I could imagine his voice fitting this song, but obviously only if he sang the chorus, the second verse and other high parts an octave lower.

Sycsa

Quote from: kirksnosehair on January 04, 2013, 12:15:01 PM
^that's not a very controversial opinion, bro  :)
Well, I usually skip both of them.

MoraWintersoul

Quote from: ? on January 05, 2013, 11:25:19 PM
The Mirror and Lie together = :2metal: :2metal: :2metal: :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

The Dance of Eternity is one of those DT songs that is cool at first, but gets boring after you've heard it multiple times.
Quote from: MoraWintersoul on January 03, 2013, 03:04:16 PM
Would like to hear that demo of Kevin singing it MP talked about if it exists still somewhere. I know it doesn't because the world hates me. :mora:
Me too! The vocal melodies are very Kevin-ish, and I could imagine his voice fitting this song, but obviously only if he sang the chorus, the second verse and other high parts an octave lower.
Quoted for absolute agreement.

puppyonacid

The Answer Lies Within is a dreadful for song and would be for any band

BC&SL is DTs worst album - but Nightmare to remember is still a cool song up to the MP growly bit

FII is an awesome album and I prefer the songs on it to the demo versions - I also think it sounds immense mixwise

I cant watch Scenes from New York anymore as the graphics date it horrendously and I think its flat soundwise.

wasteland

Quote from: puppyonacid on January 07, 2013, 08:58:37 AM
I cant watch Scenes from New York anymore as the graphics date it horrendously.

MoraWintersoul

I still watch it and love it. I chuckle at the Mexican carpet graphics though.

Cedar redaC

FII is an awesome album and I prefer the songs on it to the demo versions - I also think it sounds immense mixwise

Most would say the same thing about the mix. It's still awesome.

BlobVanDam

Quote from: MoraWintersoul on January 07, 2013, 09:15:05 AM
I still watch it and love it. I chuckle at the Mexican carpet graphics though.

That is an insult to Mexican carpets everywhere.

Unless it's a Mexican carpet laced with heroin. Then it's probably about right.

Zook

1. Images And Words
2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3. Awake
4. Scenes from a Memory
5. Train Of Thought
6. Octavarium
7. When Dream And Day Unite
8. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
9. Falling Into Infinity
10. Systematic Chaos
11. Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Just an update. WDADU moved up again.

LieLowTheWantedMan

Images is definitely in the lower half of their albums quality-wise.

Cedar redaC

Quote from: LieLowTheWantedMan on January 07, 2013, 03:37:32 PM

That's a new one.

LieLowTheWantedMan

Quote from: toro on January 03, 2013, 06:26:16 PM
Quote from: 1neeto on January 03, 2013, 05:50:15 PM
Quote from: toro on January 03, 2013, 04:39:58 PM
Quote from: 1neeto on January 03, 2013, 02:44:23 PM
For all you Awake fans. Bad ass right... right  :facepalm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD7OdyY1js4

:barf:
More badass than anything they did on 8VM, SC and BC&SL.

Not sure if serious.

Completely serious. But I guess people with the "EPIC LONG SONGS AND TIME SIGNATURES CHANGES" or "Metal" mentality are always against the relative simplicity, and the metal/not so metal approach of Awake.

Awake is most definetly their hardest album to get into, but once you do. You get to love it. Awake and I&W were the first DT albums I got and I hated Awake at first, i felt like Scarred was akward and SDV was bad. But now, Awake is almost the only DT album I listen religously and Scarred is a top 3 song for me.
Haha, funny case for me. I heard Awake second last (WDADU being last, not including AtDoE) out of all of their albums and it was my favourite from first listen. :lol My rankings have change drastically since then, but it's still probably like second favourite.

Madman Shepherd

Quote from: wasteland on January 07, 2013, 09:13:28 AM
I cant watch Scenes from New York anymore as the graphics date it horrendously.

I thought it looked relatively amateurish when it was first released in 2001.  I never have really minded it though.  With anything, movies, concert dvds, etc...they are like a time capsule and i can almost always look past that stuff. 

Man-Erg

Ok, here's one, though it's more of a fact:
I really have only listened to WtDaDU (I detest it) and I&W (4/5 stars) and I'm not really DT fan... I've joined mainly because of the awesome community.

But I'd like to explore DT further.
And to throw in something more controversial: Under a Glass Moon sucks and is very boring.

TheLordOfTheStrings

Cedar redaC

Quote from: Man-Erg on January 08, 2013, 04:29:25 PM
I really have only listened to WtDaDU (I detest it) and I&W (4/5 stars) and I'm not really DT fan... I've joined mainly because of the awesome community.

And to throw in something more controversial: Under a Glass Moon sucks and is very boring.

Can't go wrong with most of their albums, although I've particularly enjoyed Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and A Dramatic Turn of Events. (I'd shamelessly plug Scenes from a Memory as well, but I don't have that one.)

?

Quote from: LieLowTheWantedMan on January 07, 2013, 03:37:32 PM

I think we can already declare this the most controversial page of the thread!

Scorpion

Erg: If you're looking for something a little different, try Falling Into Infinity. It gets a lot of flak because Mike Portnoy doesn't like it, but it's a very good album, and in many places DT have reigned themselves in on the album and practiced some restraint, which works pretty good. It's certainly a very enjoyable album (albeit with some duds, namely New Millenium, You Not Me and Just Let Me Breathe).

Man-Erg

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll just work my way up from Images and Words.

wasteland

You would do well to go directly into Awake. It's their third album, and it's very interesting to reflect on the evolution of the sound as well as the lyrical and musical identity of the band. Plus, it's definitely a great album, widely considered among the three best.

?

Yeah, you can't go wrong with Awake.

Prog Snob

Awake is definitely the next CD you should check out.  Voices and Lifting Shadows off a Dream are lyrically astounding.  All of the lyrics are brilliant but the aforementioned always impressed me most.

Pols Voice

I don't like Dream Theater that much, but they have a forum and a community, so what the fuck.

wasteland

Quote from: Pols Voice on January 09, 2013, 08:36:15 AM

I don't like Dream Theater that much, but they have a forum and a community, so what the fuck.

MoraWintersoul

Quote from: wasteland on January 09, 2013, 09:15:31 AM
Quote from: Pols Voice on January 09, 2013, 08:36:15 AM

Should I siggie that one so that you can siggie quote me as well? :D

Nekov

JLB has always been the weakest member in the band and is very much overrated.

MoraWintersoul

Rage.

:neverusethis:

But seriously, I'd say he's underrated. A lot of casual fans and non-fans pretty much hate his guts. I'd say this forum has a fair assessment of him at least 80% of the time.

wasteland

WRATH

:neverusethis: (my first reaction was RAGE, but Milena stole it :D )

I agree with that she said. Outside this community there is not a lot of people who is really in love with him, and to a certain extent I can understand them, as casual fans don't really have access to his best live performances (which are of course not the one that were officially recorded).

BlobVanDam

Overall, I'd say JLB is just the right amount of rated here. We get the occasional person who thinks he's a God, and we get the occasional person who thinks he's awful, neither of which I believe is true, but overall I think most people are pretty honest about his strengths and weaknesses.

Pols Voice

It seems like most people besides diehard DT fans don't like him. It makes me sad to see so much hate thrown his way, because he's one of my favorite singers (probably 2nd favorite, behind Steve Walsh).