Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979582 times)

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #210 on: December 23, 2012, 07:48:05 PM »
Vacant is my favourite DT song.

Vacant was the very first DT song that I liked, and it's still one of my favorites. I love the celllo. Respect for anyone whose favorite DT song is Vacant.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #211 on: December 23, 2012, 10:08:59 PM »
Six Degrees is a weak album (especially Disc 2)
Octavarium is not a good song. at all. Fact.

Offline Polis

« Reply #212 on: December 23, 2012, 10:19:26 PM »
SFAM is bad.

AMA

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #213 on: December 24, 2012, 05:05:44 AM »
Six Degrees is a weak album (especially Disc 2)
Octavarium is not a good song. at all. Fact.

SFAM is bad.

AMA

Both of these are sooooooooo wrong.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #214 on: December 24, 2012, 06:20:57 AM »
Without Jordan's Moog solo, Octavarium would be mediocre. Because of it, it's top 15 material.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #215 on: December 24, 2012, 12:20:36 PM »
TMOLS-ITPOE2 is the best consecutive 30-minute stretch of music in DT history.

Hell Yes
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #216 on: December 24, 2012, 12:39:34 PM »

Hell Yes

Unless you count their live shows, in which case, I think Learning To Live + A Change of Seasons from LSFNY tops it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #217 on: December 24, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »

Hell Yes

Unless you count their live shows, in which case, I think Learning To Live + A Change of Seasons from LSFNY tops it.

Good call--that's close. Really wish there was an F# in LTL there though.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: December 24, 2012, 01:07:45 PM »
I am disappoint at the lack of F# but I respect the fact that he still gave us something instead of not doing anything at all
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: December 24, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »
My controversial opinions will be shared when I do my list on the Top 50 DT Songs. That should be sometime between 2014 and 2020.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #220 on: December 24, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »
My controversial opinions will be shared when I do my list on the Top 50 DT Songs. That should be sometime between 2014 and 2020.

You are pretty optimist.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

« Reply #221 on: December 24, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »
Good call--that's close. Really wish there was an F# in LTL there though.

Yes, but I would say that the extended outro made up for it. I mean, I don't know, maybe that's the outro they play live all the time, they obviously wouldn't fade out live music, but hearing it that way was very cool.

« Reply #222 on: December 24, 2012, 03:24:05 PM »
I will say I'm glad James didn't go for the C# in Crimson Sunset in LSFNY though. That note doesn't even sound good on record, so it probably would've been painful live.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: December 24, 2012, 03:27:51 PM »
I will say I'm glad James didn't go for the C# in Crimson Sunset in LSFNY though. That note doesn't even sound good on record, so it probably would've been painful live.

"I will live ooooooooooooooooooon" ... -drum fill-

?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

« Reply #224 on: December 24, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »

"I will live ooooooooooooooooooon" ... -drum fill-

?

No, the "offbeaten traaAAAAACK"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: December 24, 2012, 04:37:22 PM »
oooooooooooh ok

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #226 on: December 24, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »
-Triggered Snare, among other things, gives Images and Words more of a dark eighties feel. I like that a lot.
-A Dramatic Turn of Events is one of my favorites
-Awake is good, but drags on just a bit.
-Score is awesome, but I think that The Great Debate would have been cool to play with an orchestra. (Six Degrees was a great choice though.
-If I had to see Dream Theater Cover an album that they haven't done yet (and released a bootleg), it would probably be either Moving Pictures or Power Windows.
-John>John :neverusethis:
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #227 on: December 24, 2012, 09:43:13 PM »
-John>John :neverusethis:
Since we're talking controversial opinions here, it should be quite obvious which John is which.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #228 on: December 25, 2012, 08:21:17 AM »
Some of my controversial opinions

-Octavarium is easily in the top 3 of DT's best work in my book (even above the likes of Awake, ADTOE, and 6 Degrees)
-ADTOE  was a really good album on first impression but has not aged well for me
-Surrounded is DTs best piece lyrically speaking
-most of the albums released since SDOIT (save Octavarium) have all been great collections of songs that just do not work well as full albums (specifically Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos)
-Dream Theater's solos as of late (at least 75% of them) have not felt very impressive or all that innovative and have for the most part been more of the same
-Repentance is by far and away my least favorite DT song but it is probably the only one I refuse to sit through (though I will concede it has it's moments)
-FII has a lot of outright medicore songs but works amazingly as a full album

Most of these are probably not the most controversial of opinions but eh, whatever.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #229 on: December 25, 2012, 08:33:26 AM »
Where are you now? Has Dereks best keyboard leads with DT. And is a fantastic gem.

Prophets of War is great and a well written song, MP's spoken word part could've been left off leaving the underline guitar which would've made the song way better.

The Shattered Fortress is the best AA Suite song. It does its job of summarizing and the Inventory lyrics dont bother me at all
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #230 on: December 25, 2012, 09:19:28 AM »
-ADTOE  was a really good album on first impression but has not aged well for me

I feel the same about the album... most of it is just bland and uninteresting to me now.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #231 on: December 25, 2012, 09:43:18 AM »
I don't like almost all JR synth solos, as well as his interpretations of older solos (He ruins Take The Time imo with his improvisations)

I think Metropolis Pt.2 would be much more interesting with Derek on keyboards

MP's drumming after FII was just rehashing the same parts over and over again

JP rushes his solos many times during live performances (not so much now with MM)

I liked MP's spoken part during Prophets of War

I like the triggered sound of the drums in I&W

FII has the best production among DT albums

JLB sounds great on OIALT

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #232 on: December 25, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »
Prophets of War is great and a well written song, MP's spoken word part could've been left off leaving the underline guitar which would've made the song way better.

The Shattered Fortress is the best AA Suite song. It does its job of summarizing and the Inventory lyrics dont bother me at all

YES.

« Reply #233 on: December 25, 2012, 12:36:22 PM »

YES.
Third..ed...

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: December 25, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »
Metropolis Part I is in my top 20 DT songs. As in, not in the top 5, top 10 or top 15. Top 20; And Not as good as the majority of songs in I&W.

I'm ready to die.

Also:
The Ministry of Lost Souls is the best song on SC, and it would be one of the best DT songs ever if it wasn't for the overlong instrumental section
I don't like to listen to Outcry just because of the song's ending. It fits so bad I don't like to hear the entire song because I know how bad it's going to end.
Never Enough would be a good song if it wasn't for the intro and James' Bellamyesque singing in the verses.
ADTOE has aged well after a year, and that's something I can't say about SC or BC&SL.
People should appreciate Bombay Vindaloo and the Another Hand intro to The Killing Hand more.
Eve is a beautiful song, yet I don't feel it would fit in any of DT's albums. Maybe in the ACoS EP. I feel there should be a studio version with the sound samples heard in some of the live versions and the current one without them.
Chaos in Motion is the most unnecessary album/video release in all of DT history.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:12:25 PM by LCArenas »

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #235 on: December 25, 2012, 01:14:15 PM »
Chaos in Motion is the most unnecessary album/video release in all of DT history.
Isn't that, like, mainstream opinion?

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #236 on: December 25, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »
Chaos in Motion is the most unnecessary album/video release in all of music history.

FFY. Yeah, that's a bit harsh but can't even believe DT agreed to present it. Man, there are bootlegs better than this DVD in every way.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #237 on: December 25, 2012, 02:27:53 PM »
Oh, yeah, my controversial opinion is that OYALT is sung quite well, and that the vocal performance doesn't diminish the awesomeness of the record nor the amount of enjoyment on my part.
Here's an ultimate one: JLB on 5YIALT > JLB on Budokan.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #238 on: December 25, 2012, 02:29:04 PM »
I've never really compared the two, but I may agree with this (not completely sure). There were 2004 shows where James sounded better than OIALT, that's sure.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #239 on: December 25, 2012, 04:08:22 PM »
Here's a nice controversial opinion-- I don't give a flying kazoodle about live albums, and haven't bothered touching one of DT's live albums aside from Score, simply for the orchestra. I mean, concerts are great, and solos and whatnot can be a bit different sometimes, but live albums in general do nothing for me. Studio albums have the same materials in higher quality the exact way the artist meant for them to be. Come at me.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #240 on: December 25, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »
Well, this is more than a opinion but a personal choice, I guess.

Especially when you are metal/rock band with full instruments your place is the stage. That's where you can understand if they are worth enough to listen or not.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #241 on: December 25, 2012, 04:12:47 PM »
Here's a nice controversial opinion-- I don't give a flying kazoodle about live albums, and haven't bothered touching one of DT's live albums aside from Score, simply for the orchestra. I mean, concerts are great, and solos and whatnot can be a bit different sometimes, but live albums in general do nothing for me. Studio albums have the same materials in higher quality the exact way the artist meant for them to be. Come at me.
You just have no idea what you're missing out on :'(
I bet you hear a lot of this so I'll shut up now.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #242 on: December 25, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »

As the proud possessor of more than 400 DT recordings, I second Milena but I will too shut up for the same reason. It's your opinion, after all. Respect.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #243 on: December 25, 2012, 04:22:33 PM »
I think another reason why I don't care for live albums is that I don't like having the same songs on my iPhone twice :3 I know that's an incredibly stupid reason but it's a very strong feeling for me. I know that DT of all bands has some wonderful live shows, but live albums aren't for me.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #244 on: December 25, 2012, 04:27:37 PM »
I really liked Live at the Marquee. The production is great, the setlist is, albeit small, great and enjoyable. Plus, you get "Bombay Vindaloo", which is a great jam track. James LaBrie as absolutely killer too (he had a cold, so there are some overdubs present, but still, it's awesome).
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!