Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979590 times)

Offline 1neeto

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #175 on: December 22, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »
Lots of trololol posts here so i'll contribute.
Forsaken has the best lyrical content of any DT song. In fact, SC is a lyrical masterpiece.
DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

Well, it is a Controversial Opinions thread afterall.

What's not epic about vampires and dark masters?  :lol

And your answer is       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti0H-bvMi3I

Great movie.  :lol :lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: December 22, 2012, 03:53:33 PM »
Catching up on this thread but I wanted to add this:

JP was a much more innovated and interesting guitar player pre-SDOIT. Pretty much when he signed with Ernie Ball I feel his work as a guitar player has been as good as his Ibanez days not saying the guitar had anything to do with it.

When I listen to "Bombay Vindaloo" and the extended "To Live Forever" jam I hear some amazing, creative guitar player. When I hear things like the extended Hollow Years solo or the BTL jam from Budokan I just hear shredding that is pretty forgettable. 

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2012, 04:41:38 PM »
Ok in all seriousness I truly believe that SC is a very under appreciated album. It has some fun to listen songs like TDEK and ITPOE is a great epic. POW though, ranks as my least favorite DT song ever, even worse than SDV from Awake.

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2012, 05:12:38 PM »
TDEN's instrumental section may be the best part of the song...It feels very 'fun' to me

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2012, 11:20:14 PM »
My least favorite thing about DT's music is when they do long instrumental sections that consist mostly of riffs. I wish they would have more songs where the instrumental sections consisted mostly of solos (either one solo, tradeoffs, or multiple solos throughout the song) then having one mammoth section that is 2/3 a bunch of "establishing riffs" and jamming. Like the first part of the TMOLS instrumental, or the first two minutes of The Reckoning, or all the TDEN stuff. It's not like it never works (a lot of the early stuff used it well), but since ToT I feel like it's become a tired formula to stretch songs out that tends to interrupt the flow of things. I know DT is known for being all jammy and proggy, and I'm as big a pusher of big song lengths as anyone on this forum, but I just wish the instrumental time was used more for playing off the pre-existing feel of a song than taking several minutes to establish a new feel and jam over it for no clear reason.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline jsem

« Reply #180 on: December 23, 2012, 07:53:34 AM »
Strange deja vu is the best song on SFAM
Agreed.

Oh, and Razor's Edge is completely overrated. Full Circle is the best part of the 8vm the song.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #181 on: December 23, 2012, 08:02:33 AM »
I agree on the Razor's Edge part, but I actually prefer Intervals. It's a great climax to the song.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2012, 08:02:58 AM »
Ok, I think I've gathered up the courage to post my list. To keep some balance, I'm making sure to include both positive and negative opinions. I see I'm not the only person to arrange it this way. :tup
Disclaimer - Obviously these are just my opinions, but it's easier to write it this way, and it's what everyone else is doing anyway.

CONTROVERSIALLY NEGATIVE
WDADU is so amateurish and poorly written that I don't count it as a real DT album.
ADTOE is near the bottom of DT's discography, and has the worst mix/production of any DT album besides WDADU.
The last half hour of Awake drags the album down to one of DT's weakest, and Scarred is DT's worst song since WDADU (yep, worse than Lie, YNM, BMS, TAMP, JLMB, IWBY, NE etc)
LTL is the weakest song on IaW, due to its weak vocal melodies and phrasing. (Aside from those flaws, it is otherwise a great song)
I'm going to use the word weak again just to see if anybody's paying attention.
ACOS is overrated (but still a decent song), and Octavarium is the far superior epic, and much more musically cohesive.
OIALT is ruined by DS's poor playing and JLB's voice during that era (but both have managed to improve to excellent in more recent times :tup)
Kevin Moore was an average lyricist, and no better than anyone else in the band.

CONTROVERSIALLY POSITIVE
SC is a great album (even though I don't consider it one of DT's best by any means), and hugely underrated.
TDEN is a top 20 DT song, and has one of DT's best instrumental sections.
IAW's production is awesome, including the '80s triggered snare. ESPECIALLY the triggered snare!
FII is one of DT's best albums (4th for me just behind SDOIT/SFAM/IaW).
MP's harmonies (along with JP's) are one of the best features of modern DT albums that is sorely lacking on ADTOE (bring back more JP backing vocals dangit! And maybe JR too. This would be swell.)
A lot of DT's straight ahead metal songs like As I Am, TROAE, and CM, are top tier DT songs.
SDOIT is DT's best album in every regard, and the title track is a masterpiece, and DT's best long song.
TGP is a top 5 DT song (I rank it 1 or 2, but I'll be lenient and allow up to top 5 before I rage at you :biggrin:). I probably wouldn't have added this one if there weren't so many non-believers in this thread.
Vacant is DT's most emotional ballad.

Deal with it!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2012, 08:12:49 AM »
IAW's production is awesome, including the '80s triggered snare. ESPECIALLY the triggered snare!
Ahh hellyeah!!  :metal We are now BBF Blob-san!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2012, 08:13:49 AM »
Great! Let's go listen to some Firehouse! :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2012, 08:19:16 AM »
Yes let's do dat! Baby, don't treat me baaaaaad! Kaffwwwwwwww!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: December 23, 2012, 08:25:42 AM »
I'm much more of a fan of Hold Your Fire.

:slayer: Whoooooaaaa we'll rock you tonight! We're gonna rock you tonight! :slayer:

Inspirational stuff.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »
*Evil glare at BVD & MrBoom for the Firehouse reference*

At least use Dokken. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: December 23, 2012, 08:50:38 AM »

But Dokken wasn't produced by the same guy as IaW, so that doesn't work! :getoffmylawn:

Oh fine. :slayer: We're the dreeeeeeeeeeam warrioooooooors!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »

I love Mangini as a person and as a drummer - but his solos bore me to death.

I don't like listening to anything where it's primarily about technique rather than just playing a groove with some tasty fills...

In music college - i'd hear guitarists go " Oh that scale worked great over that altered chord ".

It just leaves me cold - i'd rather hear one note being played with 100% feel than some alternate scale simply because the theory behind it is interesting.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #190 on: December 23, 2012, 09:12:50 AM »
I agree with the majority of Blob's opinions, except a few, most notably on TGP, which COULD be a top 5 song for me, but there is way too much fat that needs to be trimmed off  :lol In other words it drags on way too long and could benefit from being cleaned up a bit. It's somewhere in my top 20-25 though.

Also... in my opinion 8vm could've been a masterpiece but the full circle part is really weak and James' vocals are cringeworthy. But the rest of the song is awesome.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2012, 09:16:15 AM »

I don't like listening to anything where it's primarily about technique rather than just playing a groove with some tasty fills...

In music college - i'd hear guitarists go " Oh that scale worked great over that altered chord ".

It just leaves me cold - i'd rather hear one note being played with 100% feel than some alternate scale simply because the theory behind it is interesting.

Really? Because this is one of the most musical and interesting drum solos I've heard in a while. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvH1Y20cJ6M

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2012, 09:30:34 AM »

But Dokken wasn't produced by the same guy as IaW, so that doesn't work! :getoffmylawn:

Oh fine. :slayer: We're the dreeeeeeeeeeam warrioooooooors!

Much better! :metal :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: December 23, 2012, 10:02:44 AM »

It's not always black and white, good players can incorporate brilliant technic and maintain 100% feel and musicality. Those are the ones i look up to, not just one of each. I will never look down on someone how has brilliant technic no matter what because you can't fake technical stuff even if it sounds a little ruff, it takes alot of practice. Musicality and virtuosity should always go hand and hand and are equally important even if you play the simplest form of music.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #194 on: December 23, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »
So I'm too late to say Reach for the skyyyy or I will shoot you down in a blink of an eyeeeee ? :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: December 23, 2012, 10:25:29 AM »
So I'm too late to say Reach for the skyyyy or I will shoot you down in a blink of an eyeeeee ? :biggrin:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: December 23, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2012, 10:51:19 AM »
I foresee that the Milena reaction will be the 2013 DTF phenomenon.

Anyway, once again, clarify your quotes, dissipate my ignorance :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2012, 10:52:07 AM »
I foresee that the Milena reaction will be the 2013 DTF phenomenon.

Wasn't it already the 2012 DTF phenomenon? :lol It's just so endlessly versatile!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2012, 10:55:57 AM »
And so delightful.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

« Reply #200 on: December 23, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »
The triggered snare sounds kind of weird in spots on IAW (fast rolls in particular), but otherwise I totally agree. I love me some 80s production.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

Offline Cable

« Reply #201 on: December 23, 2012, 04:03:50 PM »
The triggered snare sounds kind of weird in spots on IAW (fast rolls in particular), but otherwise I totally agree. I love me some 80s production.

I love how the triggered snare sounds starting with the new riff @ 7:23 during Metropolis Pt. I. All live recordings  of the song make me frown during that riff section because the triggered snare adds fitting power during the riff.

And while on Metropolis Pt. I...
-Minus the live intro with the Score version, the WDADR version is superior to the Score version of Met pt.1.
---

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2012, 04:49:33 PM »
FII is one of DT's best albums (4th for me just behind SDOIT/SFAM/IaW).

Those are the only two things you said I agree with (except FII is 4th for me behind Awake/IAW/SFAM). :lol  I do think OIALT is hampered by LaBrie's performance, which isn't a controversial opinion, but Derek's playing is fine.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2012, 04:51:10 PM »
Those are the only two things you said I agree with (except FII is 4th for me behind Awake/IAW/SFAM). :lol  I do think OIALT is hampered by LaBrie's performance, which isn't a controversial opinion, but Derek's playing is fine.

Oh, yeah, my controversial opinion is that OYALT is sung quite well, and that the vocal performance doesn't diminish the awesomeness of the record nor the amount of enjoyment on my part.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2012, 05:04:20 PM »
Dunno how controversial this is but I think FII is better than SC.

New Millenium. Trial of Tears. Lines In The Sand. Hell's Kitchen.

All better than anything on SC.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #205 on: December 23, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
Dunno how controversial this is but I think FII is better than SC.

New Millenium. Trial of Tears. Lines In The Sand. Hell's Kitchen.

All better than anything on SC.

I don't think that's very controversial. I heavily disagree though.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

« Reply #206 on: December 23, 2012, 05:05:46 PM »
TMOLS-ITPOE2 is the best consecutive 30-minute stretch of music in DT history.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: December 23, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
TMOLS is good but drags like a bitch and ITPOE part 2 is just average compared to other DT songs .

I much prefer Sacrificed Sons - Octvarium.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #208 on: December 23, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »
Vacant is my favourite DT song.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

« Reply #209 on: December 23, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »
TMOLS is good but drags like a bitch and ITPOE part 2 is just average compared to other DT songs .

I much prefer Sacrificed Sons - Octvarium.

I love Octavarium, but SS is very ordinary and like someone else said earlier, the subject matter makes it hard to swallow for me at times. I'd probably take TBOT->TCOT over those two, actually.

Oh, controversy. It's fun.