Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 989823 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #9485 on: June 17, 2019, 03:28:16 PM »
Controversial opinion:  I love the volume swells JP does in the middle section in TCOT.  HOWEVER, Dave Meniketti is the undisputed world champion of volume swells, as illustrated here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNauw3AuwTA&t=2m37s  (watch up to the 3:12 mark)

Gee, that's swell!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9486 on: June 17, 2019, 03:30:52 PM »
:|
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9487 on: June 17, 2019, 05:27:05 PM »
Controversial opinion:  I love the volume swells JP does in the middle section in TCOT.  HOWEVER, Dave Meniketti is the undisputed world champion of volume swells, as illustrated here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNauw3AuwTA&t=2m37s  (watch up to the 3:12 mark)

When I think about volume swells, the first thing that comes to mind is the intro to Xanadu by Rush.  The second thing that comes to mind is Cathedral by Van Halen.  Alex Lifeson uses a volume pedal on Xanadu, whereas Meniketti used the volume knob in the linked video.  I believe (but am not sure) that EVH also uses the knob on Cathedral.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9488 on: June 17, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »

I'm a sucker for volume swells so I can't wait to hear this

Gee, that's swell!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9489 on: June 17, 2019, 06:55:28 PM »
I never said that!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #9490 on: June 17, 2019, 09:31:48 PM »

I don't understand why they do what they do with the backing vocals. I guess it looks cooler to have someone look like they're singing it live but it's not much better than lip syncing. From what I've heard on this forum, Petrucci's voice is in there somewhere but it's low in the mix? It would seem more "honest" if they just played the tape or whatever without the miming.

It is not miming. I have feel like this has been covered like 459 times already, but JP is not miming or lip synching.  He is almost always singing along to a pre-recorded backing vocal, which is much higher in the mix, but make no mistake about it: JP is singing.

Agreed. Those words don't accurately describe what he's doing. But why is he singing if he's barely heard? It's a bit more legit than straight up lip syncing...but not by much.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9491 on: June 17, 2019, 09:50:12 PM »

I don't understand why they do what they do with the backing vocals. I guess it looks cooler to have someone look like they're singing it live but it's not much better than lip syncing. From what I've heard on this forum, Petrucci's voice is in there somewhere but it's low in the mix? It would seem more "honest" if they just played the tape or whatever without the miming.

It is not miming. I have feel like this has been covered like 459 times already, but JP is not miming or lip synching.  He is almost always singing along to a pre-recorded backing vocal, which is much higher in the mix, but make no mistake about it: JP is singing.

Agreed. Those words don't accurately describe what he's doing. But why is he singing if he's barely heard? It's a bit more legit than straight up lip syncing...but not by much.

We all know he can sing the parts, and he actually does on every show, but what's the point of doing it if his mic has little to no volume at all? I just don't get it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Evai

« Reply #9492 on: June 18, 2019, 04:48:03 AM »
Probably because it's fun? He likely hears himself perfectly clear in his monitor mix.

But honestly don't think it would work without the backing track. JP can stay on pitch, but without Portnoy I don't think it would sound right.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9493 on: June 18, 2019, 05:34:01 AM »

That's the proper way to do volume swells, I approve!  :tup

But, boy-o-boy, Meniketti really needs to have JP teach him how to construct and phrase a lead break. Other than the volume swells, that was terrible! Especially after he sings for a while. I've never heard a pro hit so many sour notes.  :o
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9494 on: June 18, 2019, 06:21:24 AM »
Well, it was nice knowing you, Podaar!  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9495 on: June 18, 2019, 07:54:35 AM »

We all know he can sing the parts, and he actually does on every show, but what's the point of doing it if his mic has little to no volume at all? I just don't get it.

Because it is a better look visually to have one of the band members at the mic singing when a backup vocal is being heard, and I would submit that 99% of fans either don't know or don't care that JP is barely audible underneath the pre-recorded backing track, but this is DTF WHERE WE NITPICK. ;)  :biggrin:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9496 on: June 18, 2019, 09:11:54 AM »
I totally get that and it makes sense.  I actually wish JP's mic was turned up more because he does have a good voice.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9497 on: June 18, 2019, 09:14:00 AM »

That's the proper way to do volume swells, I approve!  :tup

:tup

But, boy-o-boy, Meniketti really needs to have JP teach him how to construct and phrase a lead break. Other than the volume swells, that was terrible! Especially after he sings for a while. I've never heard a pro hit so many sour notes.  :o

:bosk1:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9498 on: June 18, 2019, 09:15:15 AM »
I totally get that and it makes sense.  I actually wish JP's mic was turned up more because he does have a good voice.

I don't get it at all, frankly.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #9499 on: June 18, 2019, 09:49:32 AM »
Here's the thing, for me at least.  It sounds better now.  So at the end of the day, that's what matters to me.  JP isn't a great singer - he can be decent, but that's about as far as it goes.  MP wasn't a great singer either.  In another thread we talked about James sounding good at a particular show in person, but not so good on recorded video from the same show.  For me, the backing vocals (sometimes MP alone, sometimes both of them) made me cringe at the actual show.  It occasionally took away from what was otherwise an amazing performance. 

So just like with Rush, I'm perfectly fine with what DT is doing.  I don't think they're trying to fool anyone.  I think we all know that JP doesn't in fact sound exactly like James.  If you listen really hard for it, you can hear JP's voice too, especially if you're up close.  Now, I personally would be fine with him not singing at all and them just using a backing track, but I'm also fine with the way they're doing it now. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9500 on: June 18, 2019, 10:55:35 AM »
I was searching for videos from this European leg and found this...

https://youtu.be/bchalGgfsx8

I can hear JP pretty well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9501 on: June 18, 2019, 11:22:52 AM »

I don't get it at all, frankly.

That's ok Tim.  I still love you.  :-*  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline 425

« Reply #9502 on: June 18, 2019, 01:22:22 PM »
Here's the thing, for me at least.  It sounds better now.  So at the end of the day, that's what matters to me.  JP isn't a great singer - he can be decent, but that's about as far as it goes.  MP wasn't a great singer either.  In another thread we talked about James sounding good at a particular show in person, but not so good on recorded video from the same show.  For me, the backing vocals (sometimes MP alone, sometimes both of them) made me cringe at the actual show.  It occasionally took away from what was otherwise an amazing performance. 

Personally, I do not think it sounds better now at all.

For one thing, I think that a live performance should, to the greatest extent possible, be LIVE. From that perspective, it sounded much better to me when all the backing vocals were being provided, *live on stage* by Mike and John, because I like to hear a live performance where it really does sounds like five people getting up and giving a performance, without any sort of assistance being piped in.

Additionally, I do not even think it typically sounds good on studio record when there are a ton of secondary vocal parts that are also done by the lead singer. It takes me out of the moment to realize that not only was the song not performed in a single take (which isn't such a big deal; few studio recordings are), but that it in a very obvious way could not have been so performed (more obvious than, say, an additional guitar track filling out the sound). And I think in most cases, where you even have a semi-competent backup singer, it sounds nicer to have multiple voices harmonizing or blending together than to have the same voice layered three times over. I think it's very cool when even bands with a very strong lead singer make use of the voices of other band members on the studio recording—e.g., Yes or Queen.

The liberal use of Mike and John as backup singers is one of the best things about the unfairly-maligned Black Clouds & Silver Linings. I try to imagine the chorus of A Rite of Passage or A Nightmare to Remember with just three Jameses instead of James, Mike and John, and I just think it would sound, so, so inferior to the version we got—even though James is a far better singer than either of the others. By a similar token, I listen to something like Build Me Up, Break Me Down or The Bigger Picture and imagine how much better those choruses would sound if someone else was singing under James (in the case of BMU,BMD) or doing the secondary part (in the case of TBP).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9503 on: June 18, 2019, 01:27:15 PM »
I actually really enjoy MP doing backing vocals, both live and on album.  I have no care for him singing any leads, but thought he had a good voice for complementing the singer.  Sort of like Michael Anthony on Van Halen (although I think this guy is the ultimate backing vocalist so MP isn't on that level) who just adds a different and good backing voice to the music, but I wouldn't want him singing the songs.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9504 on: June 18, 2019, 01:38:31 PM »
Didn't Mike say something, back in the days, along the lines of "Since we [MP and JP] are gonna sing backup vocals live anyway, it's important to have our voices on the record, otherwise live we'll just sound as a weaker version of James"? I can see his reasoning... for example if in The Ministry of Lost Souls Petrucci wouldn't sing those two single lines, live it would have sound weird and inferior.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #9505 on: June 18, 2019, 01:46:16 PM »

For one thing, I think that a live performance should, to the greatest extent possible, be LIVE. From that perspective, it sounded much better to me when all the backing vocals were being provided, *live on stage* by Mike and John, because I like to hear a live performance where it really does sounds like five people getting up and giving a performance, without any sort of assistance being piped in.

Additionally, I do not even think it typically sounds good on studio record when there are a ton of secondary vocal parts that are also done by the lead singer. It takes me out of the moment to realize that not only was the song not performed in a single take (which isn't such a big deal; few studio recordings are), but that it in a very obvious way could not have been so performed (more obvious than, say, an additional guitar track filling out the sound). And I think in most cases, where you even have a semi-competent backup singer, it sounds nicer to have multiple voices harmonizing or blending together than to have the same voice layered three times over. I think it's very cool when even bands with a very strong lead singer make use of the voices of other band members on the studio recording—e.g., Yes or Queen.

The liberal use of Mike and John as backup singers is one of the best things about the unfairly-maligned Black Clouds & Silver Linings. I try to imagine the chorus of A Rite of Passage or A Nightmare to Remember with just three Jameses instead of James, Mike and John, and I just think it would sound, so, so inferior to the version we got—even though James is a far better singer than either of the others. By a similar token, I listen to something like Build Me Up, Break Me Down or The Bigger Picture and imagine how much better those choruses would sound if someone else was singing under James (in the case of BMU,BMD) or doing the secondary part (in the case of TBP).

I think we just have totally different preferences on this sort of thing.  For me, if a band has other guys who are really good singers (and Brian May was pretty good), then that's one thing.  But if the band doesn't, then I just prefer them to let their singer handle it.  And I don't think that's even a draw back - for example I don't think Rush would have been "even better" if only they'd had multiple voices on the album.  I don't have an interest in another voice with Rush, and don't with DT either - especially after having heard the alternative.  And it doesn't at all matter to me if the vocals could have been done in one take or not.  Redemption had a few songs where Ray Alder was singing two or maybe 3 melodies at the same time at the end of the song, and it sounded fantastic.  Of course it couldn't have been done in one take, but I'm glad they didn't let that stop them from doing it. 

For Black Clouds - I actually like that album quite a bit, but I'd prefer it with just James handling the vocals.

For the live show... I guess I'm in between.  I don't have a hard line "everything must be live" stance.  Especially when it comes to backing vocals.  If the guys in the band aren't good singers (and I realize this is a matter of taste), I'm totally fine with the backing vocals being brought in.  On the other hand, I'm not cool with bands not having a bass player and using backing tracks for that live.  Why is it different?  I dunno, it just is.  :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #9506 on: June 18, 2019, 01:48:05 PM »
I actually really enjoy MP doing backing vocals, both live and on album.  I have no care for him singing any leads, but thought he had a good voice for complementing the singer.  Sort of like Michael Anthony on Van Halen (although I think this guy is the ultimate backing vocalist so MP isn't on that level) who just adds a different and good backing voice to the music, but I wouldn't want him singing the songs.

I will say that I think MP and JP both got better with backing vocals as time went on, which is definitely a plus.  But there were still times where (for me) it just didn't sound good, and plenty of times where MP's backing vocals were too loud in the mix.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9507 on: June 18, 2019, 01:49:22 PM »
Yea, I'm going off recent memory regarding MP.  Even just in TWD recently he sounded great doing the backing vocals.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9508 on: June 18, 2019, 04:03:16 PM »

Couldn't agree with you more 425 - beautiful post! Yes, there are some things that realistically cannot be reproduced live because they were a studio creation, but backing vocals are not one of them when you have very competent musicians that can do them, as has always been evident from FII onward. Even listening to TtT live, I'd rather have MP and JP doing the backing vocals than backing tapes of JL's multi-tracked vocals from the original sessions.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #9509 on: June 18, 2019, 11:36:18 PM »
Additionally, I do not even think it typically sounds good on studio record when there are a ton of secondary vocal parts that are also done by the lead singer. It takes me out of the moment to realize that not only was the song not performed in a single take (which isn't such a big deal; few studio recordings are), but that it in a very obvious way could not have been so performed (more obvious than, say, an additional guitar track filling out the sound).

Then why doesn't this logic ever apply to guitarists?

JP plays rhythm and lead in-studio, but can't do them both live.  Yes, he doesn't have the backing track playing while he leads, but if you apply this statement where you're taken out of the moment knowing it wasn't done "live" then why do guitarists get a pass?  You seem to be ok with additional guitar tracks but not additional vocal tracks.

I'm perfectly fine with any band using backing tracks for portions of their music and then I look at these rave DJs with their headsets on nodding their heads as they press PLAY and the audience goes crazy cuz they're listening to the CD track and nothing is "live" and that's weaksauce.

*Yes, I know there's more to DJing than that, but that's certainly not what it looks like.  This SNL skit is exactly what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCawU6BE8P8

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9510 on: June 19, 2019, 12:13:20 AM »

JP plays rhythm and lead in-studio, but can't do them both live.  Yes, he doesn't have the backing track playing while he leads, but if you apply this statement where you're taken out of the moment knowing it wasn't done "live" then why do guitarists get a pass?  You seem to be ok with additional guitar tracks but not additional vocal tracks.
I can't speak for 425, but for me, that logic DOES apply to guitarists. But to be honest (and maybe it's because it's late here and I should be in bed), I'm having a hard time trying to think of songs where JP plays lead and rhythm in the studio. That's one of the things I love about DT - the lack of superficial overdubbing that they couldn't replicate live. Of course, JP will multi-track his guitars, but that's playing the same parts to thicken up the sound, which I wouldn't say applies here. Can you cite some examples of where he does separate rhythm and lead guitars at the same time?

On a separate note - loved that SNL DJ clip! That's pretty spot on about (at least) people's perception of what DJs do at their shows.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Evai

« Reply #9511 on: June 19, 2019, 02:37:20 AM »
. Can you cite some examples of where he does separate rhythm and lead guitars at the same time?

Every song on DT12 and ADToE has rhythm guitar underneath the solos.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #9512 on: June 19, 2019, 03:10:53 AM »
Also on TOT there's a lot of leads and rhythm guitars at the same time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9513 on: June 19, 2019, 07:11:12 AM »
Also, the intro to The Count of Tuscany has that electric lead played over the acoustic that kicks off the song.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #9514 on: June 19, 2019, 08:02:13 AM »
And also the majority of the band's catalog... Most of the time when JP plays a solo on record, there is rhythm guitar underneath.

That's the reason why he's been talking about doing things different on D/T where he doesn't play rhythm behind guitar solos. Because it's different than his typical approach.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9515 on: June 19, 2019, 09:52:57 AM »
And also the majority of the band's catalog... Most of the time when JP plays a solo on record, there is rhythm guitar underneath.

That's the reason why he's been talking about doing things different on D/T where he doesn't play rhythm behind guitar solos. Because it's different than his typical approach.

Which is why i love D/T. Due to him not playing rhythm, it allows the bass sound to sound more clearer. Also, making the drums and bass finally be the groove of the solo
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #9516 on: June 19, 2019, 10:21:27 AM »

Which is why i love D/T. Due to him not playing rhythm, it allows the bass sound to sound more clearer. Also, making the drums and bass finally be the groove of the solo

I like this approach on albums that only have one guitar player because when I hear a live version, it doesn't sound like something's missing.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9517 on: June 19, 2019, 12:13:07 PM »
And also the majority of the band's catalog...
I stand corrected. I went ahead and checked out Jammit's guitar stems for Awake and was surprised to see that there was as much overdubbing as there was. That got me to thinking "why doesn't it bother me the same way the backing vocals do?" And I think the answer is that a lot of what is overdubbed is more textural than anything, and is buried in the mix so that I never really noticed it. I would also imagine that at least in some cases, JR may cover some of the overdubbing live on his keys so that those parts are covered. (It should be noted that I think it was a real travesty that JR didn't play the second guitar part on the intro to TCoT live, and that JP did it to a backing track - UGH!) So I would guess the reason why these overdubbed guitars (of which I wasn't really even aware of most of them) don't bother me the way the backing vocals do is because they are nowhere near as prominent in the mix as the backing vocals are.

Most of the time when JP plays a solo on record, there is rhythm guitar underneath.
I don't know if I'd go that far. Perhaps Awake is an anomaly, but I only noticed Lie and Scarred as being songs that had JP playing rhythm underneath the solos. If that's any indicator of the rest of the catalog, that's not "most of the time".

Offline 425

« Reply #9518 on: June 19, 2019, 04:07:01 PM »
Additionally, I do not even think it typically sounds good on studio record when there are a ton of secondary vocal parts that are also done by the lead singer. It takes me out of the moment to realize that not only was the song not performed in a single take (which isn't such a big deal; few studio recordings are), but that it in a very obvious way could not have been so performed (more obvious than, say, an additional guitar track filling out the sound).

I would generally prefer that guitarists not do this, but it does not bother me as much for guitarists as it does for singers. Why? I think there is a perfectly logical reason. A singer’s voice is distinct, a guitar sound is not. One could easily imagine there simply being an additional guitarist playing the additional part. But if I hear James LaBrie singing one part and James LaBrie singing another part over him, the impossibility of that is staring me right in the face, because there is not another person whose voice sounds that way.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline PetFish

« Reply #9519 on: June 19, 2019, 10:31:08 PM »
A singer’s voice is distinct, a guitar sound is not.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Every great guitar player is directly identifiable by their sound (tone).  It's just as unique and distinct as a singer's voice.  You replace JL or JP and the band will certainly sound radically different.  Vocals and guitar are the most difficult roles to interchange.

Get 100 of the all-time greats to play "Jingle Bells" note-for-note but with their setup and each one will be immediately identifiable, just as 100 singers singing it will also be.