Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 988366 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #9345 on: April 17, 2019, 11:03:56 AM »
I have no idea.  He was a mod here for a bit.  But after I told him to mellow out when he was being a bit too heard on forum members, he got mad and left.  I saw him posting on Grateful Dreams for awhile after that, but lost track of him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9346 on: April 17, 2019, 11:56:15 AM »
Do we know if any other DT member, past or present, also joined the forum?

MP joined under the name chaossystem  :hat

But in all seriousness, MP does have an account & made a few posts in here a long while ago: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?action=profile;u=6436

Wow! Can’t believe Mike actually posted here, since he pretty much hates DTF :eek

There would be no DTF without MP.  The original forum would still be on DT.net.

I don't have the backstory to that, and I'm not trying to imply MP isn't important to DTF or anything, but we all know he hates this place, he's said that mutiple times, even to Bosk's face, and all his posts here were post split, anyway.

Yup, also told me he last September he didn't like this place and needed people to have his back here.  I certainly got his attention by saying DTF  :lol but now that I see people were feeding him info, maybe that makes sense for him to feel that way about here. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9347 on: April 17, 2019, 12:03:01 PM »
BTW, I remember Borlag here in the early days.  Whatever happened to him?

Who. Fucking. Cares.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9348 on: April 17, 2019, 12:06:21 PM »
I have no idea.  He was a mod here for a bit.  But after I told him to mellow out when he was being a bit too heard on forum members, he got mad and left.  I saw him posting on Grateful Dreams for awhile after that, but lost track of him.
He disappeared from GDT a long time ago, too. IIRC, he gave away his whole bootleg collection, or at least most of it and stopped collecting boots. Not sure what led to it, but I think he might have recently become a father and family life was taking a priority for him, altho I'm pretty sure there were other underlying things that were also involved in his disappearance.

Who. Fucking. Cares.
Just a hunch, but I'm gonna guess Dublagent66 does.   :-*
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #9349 on: April 17, 2019, 12:12:40 PM »
Wow.  I had no idea that any of that went down. I always lurked on the MP forum because when I was a new fan, other fans told me his forum was really more like the band's forum and I'd get the latest news there and posts from him.  So I never went to the official DT forum and when I started checking this one out I was surprised it was "unofficial."

I also had no idea that the 5/8 forum had anything to do with this place.  No disrespect meant to anyone who frequents that forum - I don't know enough about it at all to characterize the whole forum.  But what I did see makes me really glad that you felt the way you did Bosk, about having a place that DT would be comfortable with.  I thought it was just a random music forum that had members who really don't like DT!  I saw some pretty horrible personal comments about MP on that forum.  I thought it was really disturbing (and I'm someone who doesn't really care for how MP went about things after he left).

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9350 on: April 17, 2019, 01:01:38 PM »

Who. Fucking. Cares.

Tim, I'm shocked. :omg: I take it Borlag wasn't one of your favorite guys.  :biggrin:

Check this out.  A little bit of irony that might amuse you.  Not sure if you remember, but I was banned for a week by Borlag for getting out of hand when I was arguing with you about something.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #9351 on: April 17, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »
All righty, here's one. I'm not sure how controversial this is, but usually I don't hear people talking about this at all, and when they do, they don't seem to complain.
I really dislike pretty much every song transition on Octavarium. The songs themselves, as compositions, for the most part I love. Even the Answer Lies Within, which doesn't seem to get a lot of love, is one of my favorite of their piano-driven ballads.
But this thing they did where the songs transition into each other feels to me like a waste of time to me at best, and an annoyance at the worst. I know, the whole album is filled with all sorts of nuggets, and that those transitions are supposed to represent the black keys on the piano or whatever, but my appreciation for nuggets doesn't supersede my desire to listen to music without long, boring intros and outros, especially ones that bleed right into the musical parts of the songs, such as the intro to I Walk Beside You. And don't even get me started on the intro to Sacrificed Sons.

So yeah, after ripping the CD, I edited the whole thing down to simply be a collection of songs that start and end concisely, without any overlong intros and outros.
The "Greatest Hit" versions of I Walk Beside You, Sacrificed Songs, and The Answer Lies Within were a godsend, since they omitted the chirping birds and ticking clock that overlaps with the introductions of the songs. And that's pretty much exclusively the way I listen to this album these days.

Some of these bother me, some don't, but the worst imo is the outro to Panic Attack and how it drags for a whole minute before NE starts :tdwn

I agree, that transition is too long. I also edited the transitions, especially that one, it is too long of a wait to start the next song, either NE or whatever other song when I'm listening in shuffle.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9352 on: April 17, 2019, 01:08:54 PM »

Check this out.  A little bit of irony that might amuse you.  Not sure if you remember, but I was banned for a week by Borlag for getting out of hand when I was arguing with you about something.  :lol

:lol  I can't remember now, but I wonder if it was your specific case that I was telling him to chill out about.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #9353 on: April 17, 2019, 01:35:01 PM »
Is 5/8 still a thing? I have an account over there, but have probably only browsed over there 2 or 3 times before saying screw it. I like it better here.

Also, when did Dreamtheater.net kill their "Official" forum?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9354 on: April 17, 2019, 02:37:35 PM »

:lol  I can't remember now, but I wonder if it was your specific case that I was telling him to chill out about.

I suppose it could've been.  I was actually surprised that he banned me instead of you banning me.  Probably because you were/are more forgiving than he was.  Although, I probably still deserved it.  Kind of amusing now in hindsight.  :biggrin:

Who. Fucking. Cares.
Just a hunch, but I'm gonna guess Dublagent66 does.   :-*

Actually I really don't, was just curious. ;)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DTA

« Reply #9355 on: April 17, 2019, 03:06:57 PM »
Is 5/8 still a thing? I have an account over there, but have probably only browsed over there 2 or 3 times before saying screw it. I like it better here.

5/8 is still a thing. I lurk there on occasion, but it's basically just a bunch of whiny dudes pretending like they hate Dream Theater yet commenting on any and everything related to Dream Theater.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9356 on: April 17, 2019, 05:44:13 PM »
I was a mod at dt.net for like 4-5 days shortly before the shutdown until Portnoy got wind of it and told the main guy to de-mod me because I was too big of a critic. :lol :lol 

To be fair, I was pretty critical of the band at the time, for a variety of reasons, so, yeah. :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9357 on: April 17, 2019, 06:20:56 PM »
He disappeared from GDT a long time ago, too. IIRC, he gave away his whole bootleg collection, or at least most of it and stopped collecting boots. Not sure what led to it, but I think he might have recently become a father and family life was taking a priority for him, although I'm pretty sure there were other underlying things that were also involved in his disappearance.

That's funny. We had a blowout over just that. He was bragging about going to concerts and all this other stuff, and I made a comment about how do you find the time with a young child. I wasn't critiquing, just having a conversation, and he f'n flipped out on me. How dare I question his parenting and shit like that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grizz

« Reply #9358 on: April 17, 2019, 09:28:02 PM »
Do we know if any other DT member, past or present, also joined the forum?

MP joined under the name chaossystem  :hat

But in all seriousness, MP does have an account & made a few posts in here a long while ago: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?action=profile;u=6436

Wow! Can’t believe Mike actually posted here, since he pretty much hates DTF :eek

There would be no DTF without MP.  The original forum would still be on DT.net.

I don't have the backstory to that, and I'm not trying to imply MP isn't important to DTF or anything, but we all know he hates this place, he's said that mutiple times, even to Bosk's face, and all his posts here were post split, anyway.

Yup, also told me he last September he didn't like this place and needed people to have his back here.  I certainly got his attention by saying DTF  :lol but now that I see people were feeding him info, maybe that makes sense for him to feel that way about here.
I haven't been here regularly for a while but when I last was, there was a fair bit of MP hate as a consensus. I could totally see why he wouldn't love that. He strikes me as someone who craves acceptance, so that probably makes him more sensitive to criticism (I know it does for me!).

Then again, MrDT2 says that conservatives are being censored on here, so maybe things have just changed radically in the last couple years :lol
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #9359 on: April 30, 2019, 06:52:24 AM »
Back on topic: I've talked about my inabilty to understand pieces like Take The Time or MP's drumming, but I actually think that TTT may have worked rather well on FII (arguably even better than on I/W), seeing as quite a few aspects in it have that kind of looser, groove-driven basic idea. (which FII had too. I don't know how else to describe what I mean) I've decided to be neutral here (as I always do my best to be, although it doesn't always work) since there may be some of us here who like TTT.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 06:57:54 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9360 on: April 30, 2019, 07:11:09 AM »
Back on topic: I've talked about my inabilty to understand pieces like Take The Time or MP's drumming, but I actually think that TTT may have worked rather well on FII (arguably even better than on I/W), seeing as quite a few aspects in it have that kind of looser, groove-driven basic idea. (which FII had too. I don't know how else to describe what I mean) I've decided to be neutral here (as I always do my best to be, although it doesn't always work) since there may be some of us here who like TTT.
Neutral isn't controversial. 

However, I would imagine that most people like Take The Time.  What don't you understand about it?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #9361 on: April 30, 2019, 07:21:24 AM »

However, I would imagine that most people like Take The Time.  What don't you understand about it?
you have to imagine the structure of the song for a second: The intro is logical to me, but then the verses and some sections of the pre-choruses are not. Completely nonsensical to me. I always ask myself: What the hell is that supposed to do here and why is it there? (and then there are a few more where that question comes up to me again, but what do I know.) That's the best answer I can give right now. There you go.

(add to that that I prefer MM for his logical approach to music, but that's an entirely different subject)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:28:02 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9362 on: April 30, 2019, 09:04:44 AM »

you have to imagine the structure of the song for a second: The intro is logical to me, but then the verses and some sections of the pre-choruses are not. Completely nonsensical to me. I always ask myself: What the hell is that supposed to do here and why is it there? (and then there are a few more where that question comes up to me again, but what do I know.) That's the best answer I can give right now. There you go.
I don't know that "logical" is the adjective I would use. 

But I guess I don't get what you don't get.  I mean, it has some funky time signatures, but for DT, the song is fairly straightforward.  It's an unconventional structure, but I don't see how it is that hard to follow, especially for a DT fan.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Rob24

« Reply #9363 on: May 04, 2019, 01:59:32 PM »
Prophets of War is a masterpiece. A microcosm of a song that contains a lot of weird stylistic elements which shouldn't fit together but it works because of the emotional intensity and all around mastery.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9364 on: May 04, 2019, 10:13:46 PM »
Prophets of War is a masterpiece. A microcosm of a song that contains a lot of weird stylistic elements which shouldn't fit together but it works because of the emotional intensity and all around mastery.

THAT’S what I call controversial :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Trav86

« Reply #9365 on: May 05, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
Wither is a top 10 DT song for me.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Ruba

« Reply #9366 on: May 05, 2019, 05:34:15 PM »
Viper King should have been the opening track and the lead single of DoT and UA the bonus track.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #9367 on: May 05, 2019, 06:38:07 PM »
Meh, imo LaBrie and Viper King don't mix. It makes sense as a bonus track.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #9368 on: May 05, 2019, 07:27:16 PM »
Meh, imo LaBrie and Viper King don't mix. It makes sense as a bonus track.
Yeah, I was so pumped for VK and then as soon as James comes in and sings in that higher register, it just crushed every ounce of excitement that I had. It didn't work for me.

Glad others enjoy it though!
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Lethean

« Reply #9369 on: May 05, 2019, 08:17:54 PM »
JLB is probably the reason I listen to Viper King at all.  :)

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #9370 on: May 06, 2019, 05:40:42 PM »
It's grown on me, but it still doesn't really fit on the album - it makes perfect sense as a bonus track to me.

Offline DTA

« Reply #9371 on: May 06, 2019, 05:42:46 PM »
His voice in the first verse annoys me, but I still love the song. It's probably my favorite on the entire album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9372 on: May 06, 2019, 06:54:09 PM »
It's a B side. And an excellent one at that. It's not part of the album proper, so just sit back and enjoy the little extra.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #9373 on: May 06, 2019, 08:02:37 PM »
VK is one of the best songs on the album. As far as I'm concerned, it's earned its place on the album. :yarr
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9374 on: May 06, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
VK is one of the best songs on the album. As far as I'm concerned, it's earned its place on the album. :yarr

:metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #9375 on: May 06, 2019, 08:43:33 PM »
They should have put Viper King as the second song on the record, just like the other song about a car (Red Barchetta on Moving Pictures) is the second song.

You know, the second best band ever giving a tribute to the best band ever. Oops, there I go being controversial!
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9376 on: May 07, 2019, 10:46:50 AM »
FII is miles better than SFAM
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #9377 on: May 07, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »
FII is miles better than SFAM

That is about as controversial as it gets!     I like FII but SFAM is my favorite DT album.

I can't get past Burning my soul, you not me, just let me breath, hollow years on FII.   

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #9378 on: May 07, 2019, 12:15:19 PM »
Yeah definitely controversial.

Wouldn't put it as high as Scenes, but I'll say I prefer it over all their albums since SC.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9379 on: May 07, 2019, 02:04:57 PM »
Yeah I know. SFAM is a milestone album etc. but it's so dreadfully boring to me and the best moments are the ones like Through Her Eyes and The Spirit Carries On when they're a bit restrained.. FII at least has some groove even after all the label and producer tampering. Just can't handle all the shred noodling and I've never been huge on concept albums anyway.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"