Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 990946 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #9205 on: March 29, 2019, 12:08:33 PM »
The BTFW version of The Shattered Fortress, is better than the studio one. By a lot.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #9206 on: March 29, 2019, 12:33:47 PM »
The BTFW version of The Shattered Fortress, is better than the studio one. By a lot.
Of course. Everything played by MM is.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9207 on: March 29, 2019, 01:25:37 PM »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9208 on: March 29, 2019, 02:40:30 PM »

https://youtu.be/_uHBFiAnpZs
Was that Jerry Seinfeld btw? Funny suit he wears. Oh and another two for you: 1. I actually like James' versions of WDADU pieces on Reunite. 2) This also goes for any funny bits by Jordan (during ACOS, Sacrifice and The Dance Of Eternity and anything I forgot to mention now)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 02:46:28 PM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #9209 on: March 29, 2019, 11:13:03 PM »

https://youtu.be/_uHBFiAnpZs
Was that Jerry Seinfeld btw? Funny suit he wears. Oh and another two for you: 1. I actually like James' versions of WDADU pieces on Reunite. 2) This also goes for any funny bits by Jordan (during ACOS, Sacrifice and The Dance Of Eternity and anything I forgot to mention now)

Agreed about Ruddess' silly parts when playing A Change of Seasons. BlASSphemy! Have they ever played it live without Ruddess playing those parts?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #9210 on: March 29, 2019, 11:41:59 PM »

I agree. He's such a monster drummer. Portnoy is phenomenal but Mangini is just at another level.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9211 on: March 30, 2019, 06:39:50 AM »
Haha the last thing I want to do is start another Portnoy vs Mangini debate, but I feel like ever since the new record, everyone on this forum has switched to team-Mangini and it’s starting to get a bit lonely here on team-Portnoy.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9212 on: March 30, 2019, 06:42:40 AM »
Don't really know why it matters, Portnoy is gone, Mangini is here. You can like the current line-up or not. The whole portnoy vs. mangini thing is super old now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9213 on: March 30, 2019, 07:03:00 AM »
Haha the last thing I want to do is start another Portnoy vs Mangini debate, but I feel like ever since the new record, everyone on this forum has switched to team-Mangini and it’s starting to get a bit lonely here on team-Portnoy.

Eh, I think most of us are team-Dream Theater.   :tup :tup

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #9214 on: March 30, 2019, 07:14:42 AM »

Oh man Mangini CRUUUSHED that song. I mean he destroyed it.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #9215 on: March 30, 2019, 07:47:29 AM »

I second this. I'm pretty sure everyone who has embraced Mangini hasn't forgotten how much Portnoy did for the band during his tenure, and all the amazing music he helped create. Of course, there are those sad little human beings who somehow spun an idea in their heads that Portnoy was this tyrant who held the whole band under his thumb and was solely responsible for every single complaint that they have about the band. But I think most of us, who live in the real world, have simply accepted and embraced the reality of the situation, and if it seems like "team Mangini" then it's probably simply because we really like the music that the band has made recently and we're happy with the present.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9216 on: March 30, 2019, 10:24:57 AM »

That’s nice. But you DO understand that people clearly have strong opinions and preferences though, right? And that it’s possible to embrace DT in its entirety but still have preferences. I was simply making an observation that I’ve seen many more comments like “Portnoy was good, but Mangini is GREAT” or literally “everything that DT has ever played MM plays better” or even “I never liked that Portnoy-guy” comments since the new album.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 10:31:13 AM by Volante99 »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #9217 on: March 30, 2019, 10:42:12 AM »

That’s nice. But you DO understand that people clearly have strong opinions and preferences though, right? And that it’s possible to embrace DT in its entirety but still have preferences. I was simply making an observation that I’ve seen many more comments like “Portnoy was good, but Mangini is GREAT” or literally “everything that DT has ever played MM plays better” or even “I never liked that Portnoy-guy” comments since the new album.

I doubt the amount of Portnoy fans has decreased since Distance Over Time came out.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #9218 on: March 30, 2019, 11:04:59 AM »

As that icy blond once said, LET IT GO.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9219 on: March 30, 2019, 03:43:51 PM »

BFD.  If that kind of stuff bothers you that much, maybe the internet is not for you :P

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9220 on: March 30, 2019, 05:41:47 PM »

BFD.  If that kind of stuff bothers you that much, maybe the internet is not for you :P

Says the guy who was bothered by the notion of a “team-Portnoy/team-Mangini”

Lol Clearly I’M the one who is sensitive about this issue.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 05:50:15 PM by Volante99 »

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9221 on: March 30, 2019, 06:14:02 PM »
Don't really know why it matters, Portnoy is gone, Mangini is here. You can like the current line-up or not. The whole portnoy vs. mangini thing is super old now.

Which is exactly why I said in my post I didn’t want to start a Mangini vs Portnoy “thing”...

I love the current lineup as well. It was simply a general comment towards the above posts that were ALREADY comparing Mangini to Portnoy. To be fair,  I should have just said “I strongly disagree with the notion that MM plays all DT songs better than MP because of XYZ” but I didn’t really want to go there because as you said, it is old news. Instead I was just making an observation that my preference towards Portnoy’s playing on live DT recordings is becoming more and more of a minority opinion.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:27:39 PM by Volante99 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9222 on: March 31, 2019, 07:08:45 AM »
Clearly I’M the one who is sensitive about this issue.

It is clear that you are.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #9223 on: April 01, 2019, 05:05:00 AM »

Oh man Mangini CRUUUSHED that song. I mean he destroyed it.
Just curious, what does Mangini do while playing this song that it makes it better than what Portnoy does in your opinion?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #9224 on: April 01, 2019, 06:13:57 AM »
Well, because of the metal nature of that song, to my ears Mangini’s super tight and accurate playing elevates it. Visually great too.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9225 on: April 01, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
Well, because of the metal nature of that song, to my ears Mangini’s super tight and accurate playing elevates it. Visually great too.

I will say I distinctly remember that song, specifically, getting a huge crowd pop at the end at the show I was attended on that tour. People were definitely in awe.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #9226 on: April 05, 2019, 01:50:31 AM »
Despite DT having a lot of bloated songs in the past, I honestly kind of miss the longer song structures. Logically I know why they don't write like that anymore, but I can't deny it was always something that made the band feel more special to me.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline PreHilbert

« Reply #9227 on: April 05, 2019, 03:49:13 AM »
Barstool Warrior has the best Petrucci solo work since Scenes from a Memory (Fatal Tragedy, Spirit, BTL).

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9228 on: April 05, 2019, 05:34:21 AM »
Barstool Warrior has the best Petrucci solo work since Scenes from a Memory (Fatal Tragedy, Spirit, BTL).
Not IMHO. The first 3 MM-era albums do.  (and I don't consider Scenes to ever featuring good JP solos, just his usual fare, nothing more, if anything)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:50:42 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9229 on: April 05, 2019, 09:15:43 AM »
Not IMHO. The first 3 MM-era albums do.  (and I don't consider Scenes to ever featuring good JP solos, just his usual fare, nothing more, if anything)

:lol  JP's usual fare (as you put it) is usually good, at least.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9230 on: April 05, 2019, 12:02:02 PM »
:lol  JP's usual fare (as you put it) is usually good, at least.
I know, right? It's amazing that Max somehow was a DT fan before MM even joined the band, with his hatred for MP and his downplaying of DT's older catalog.  ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #9231 on: April 05, 2019, 02:07:13 PM »
The Spirit Carries On would like a word...
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9232 on: April 06, 2019, 05:44:45 AM »
This is not a controversial opinion in and of itself, rather something I always asked myself anytime I listened to Awake: Why didn't they a) keep the producers for Awake for future albums like FII up until any point in their history and b) why didn't they go back to the same studio they recorded Awake in? (because I liked the room sound for Awake) Maybe Scotty knows.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #9233 on: April 06, 2019, 05:58:36 AM »
This is not a controversial opinion in and of itself, rather something I always asked myself anytime I listened to Awake: Why didn't they a) keep the producers for Awake for future albums like FII up until any point in their history and b) why didn't they go back to the same studio they recorded Awake in? (because I liked the room sound for Awake) Maybe Scotty knows.
All right, well, I may as well follow up with a controversial opinion then. I don't really like the production of Awake, and I'm glad that their other albums don't sound like it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9234 on: April 06, 2019, 06:20:04 AM »
To me it sounds crystal clear and powerful. Check the intro for The Mirror, that's pure and sheer badassery  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9235 on: April 06, 2019, 10:31:32 AM »
Awake is probably, sonically, their best sounding record, IMO.

A bit dated, but less so than I&W, and in the context of 1994, I can’t find much at fault in it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9236 on: April 06, 2019, 10:41:49 AM »
I was just listening to TOT last night, and I haven't listened to it in years. I really like the sound, it seems very dry as compared to d/t.  That's not a bad thing, I like the dry organic approach which makes it sound heavier.  I also like the nice rich sound of d/t with the top notch production.  Not really trying to compare the two albums, they are just two different beasts soundwise..  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9237 on: April 08, 2019, 10:19:31 AM »

This begs a question:  who are "they"?  I wouldn't think the band members had a ton of say in the matter for FII, and I think everyone's pretty clear on what precipitated the initial decision to self-produce.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9238 on: April 08, 2019, 11:20:18 AM »

This begs a question:  who are "they"?  I wouldn't think the band members had a ton of say in the matter for FII, and I think everyone's pretty clear on what precipitated the initial decision to self-produce.
Sure. "They" are DT. And I'm aware of their history. I just imagined that, had the events leading to FII not happened, then they might have kept the producers and all that (which I would have liked because I like the general production on Awake). I know it didn't happen the way I was always imagining it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9239 on: April 08, 2019, 11:25:09 AM »

Sure. "They" are DT. And I'm aware of their history. I just imagined that, had the events leading to FII not happened, then they might have kept the producers and all that (which I would have liked because I like the general production on Awake). I know it didn't happen the way I was always imagining it.

I think the production on FII is fine; it's the songs that drag it down.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung