Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 986477 times)

Offline Volante99

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #8995 on: February 21, 2019, 02:39:27 PM »
Controversial opinion;

I haven’t really liked the first three songs they’ve released off the new album. Seems more of the same as DT12. Paralyzed is just...okay. Really hoping for the best, though.

Offline rab7

« Reply #8996 on: February 21, 2019, 02:40:42 PM »
Controversial opinion;

I haven’t really liked the first three songs they’ve released off the new album. Seems more of the same as DT12. Paralyzed is just...okay. Really hoping for the best, though.

That's not controversial at all. The great thing is, a lot of the people who have heard it already say that the rest of the album is miles better than the 3 singles

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8997 on: February 21, 2019, 02:49:25 PM »

Controversial opinion;

That's not controversial at all. The great thing is, a lot of the people who have heard it already say that the rest of the album is miles better than the 3 singles

Right, and Fall Into The Light is fantastic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #8998 on: February 21, 2019, 03:21:41 PM »
I like the rest of the album more, that's for sure but when you think about as a whole three singles just fit perfect the thema of the album. And you start to love them more and more. Paralyzed is just fantastic and Fall Into The Light has an amazing middle section and outro. Though I still think UA is the weakest of all.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8999 on: February 21, 2019, 03:51:13 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9000 on: February 21, 2019, 04:13:20 PM »
Controversial opinion;

I don’t know, man. People in the D/T thread are going pretty gaga over the album, calling it the best since SFAM, comparing it to Awake, etc. The rest of the songs would need to be EXTREMELY jaw droppingly good to get to that level. Again, trying hard to be optimistic, though!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #9001 on: February 21, 2019, 06:06:22 PM »
Not trying to discredit or minimize anyone's opinions at all. But typically when a new album drops, the initial reactions are usually from favorable to "this is a new classic". It's the nature of hype cycles. I suggest just go in with leveled expectations and come to what you will of it. Last time, I went in mouth-watering, then I was given The Astonishing, so. :lol

Offline lucidlydreaming

« Reply #9002 on: February 21, 2019, 07:25:01 PM »
I'm just now starting to like 8V, the song and I bought the album on Day 1.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #9003 on: February 22, 2019, 06:25:05 AM »
If ADTOE'd had same production quality same of DoT it would've been placed higher in their discography... in the eye of the fans. Like this, at least for me it is placed as bottom 5.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Tomasoares

« Reply #9004 on: February 22, 2019, 06:43:56 AM »
Hmm I actually enjoy the tighter mixing of ADTOE, my problem is that the album is too long, but lately I decided to remove Bridges in the sky from the tracklist and the experience flowed a lot better. It's far from a bad song, but tbh is my least favorite from the record.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #9005 on: February 22, 2019, 08:00:43 AM »
Mangini should have been brought in 20 years ago.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9006 on: February 22, 2019, 08:10:51 AM »
Hmm I actually enjoy the tighter mixing of ADTOE, my problem is that the album is too long, but lately I decided to remove Bridges in the sky from the tracklist and the experience flowed a lot better. It's far from a bad song, but tbh is my least favorite from the record.

ADTOE is literally one of my favorite DT albums, and still my fave of the MM Era. But honestly, I usually skip ATBOA and BMUBMD and start at LNF.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lucidlydreaming

« Reply #9007 on: February 22, 2019, 02:09:10 PM »
OIALT was my first album. ;)

Yikes!

Ytse Jam was the one that hooked me.  Plus, it introduced me to Peruvian Skies and Take The Time (I still want to see video of this with the Freebird outro btw).

It was enough to get me to get SFAM when it released shortly afterwards.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9008 on: February 22, 2019, 02:28:30 PM »

Or rather in 2007. Mike has his swan song with the amazing Score show and release and goes on to pursue his varying musical desires without being saddled with DT's structure, direction, and expectations; and hopefully(?) SC and BCaSL turn out more favorable to the fanbase (at least here those two are highly featured in the "Least favorite 3 album stretch" thread).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline adamack

« Reply #9009 on: February 22, 2019, 08:48:22 PM »
Here's one for everyone. Dystopian Overture is the second best song of the MM era after Breaking All Illusions. I said it!  :metal

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #9010 on: February 23, 2019, 12:54:13 PM »

Or rather in 2007. Mike has his swan song with the amazing Score show and release and goes on to pursue his varying musical desires without being saddled with DT's structure, direction, and expectations; and hopefully(?) SC and BCaSL turn out more favorable to the fanbase (at least here those two are highly featured in the "Least favorite 3 album stretch" thread).

This exactly.

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #9011 on: February 23, 2019, 03:18:21 PM »
"Fall Into The Light" is the best Mangini era song since "Breaking All Illusions".

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9012 on: February 25, 2019, 10:26:47 AM »
Barstool Warrior has one of the best lyrics JP has composed in the past 15 years.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9013 on: February 27, 2019, 07:37:17 PM »
Posted this on the BC&SL thread, but it deserves to be posted here: I like SC more than Octavarium.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #9014 on: February 27, 2019, 08:11:47 PM »
Controversial opinion;

I don’t know, man. People in the D/T thread are going pretty gaga over the album, calling it the best since SFAM, comparing it to Awake, etc. The rest of the songs would need to be EXTREMELY jaw droppingly good to get to that level. Again, trying hard to be optimistic, though!
I think that's just because it's so much better than The Astonishing in many people's eyes.  and to be fair, it is a great album.  I just think realistically it's like "SFAM/Awake lite".  It's great, but it's a step down from the classics imo.  It just doesn't have that magic to me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9015 on: February 27, 2019, 08:14:07 PM »

I kind of agree.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9016 on: February 27, 2019, 08:19:36 PM »

I kind of agree.

I agree too.  Certainly a good album but for me no better than any other MM era album (forgetting The Asstonishing)

I also don't get the idea that it's some kind of balls to the wall metal album either.  It's certainly heavy in parts but then so was DT12.

Having said the above the album is a continuation of the more melodic song-focused writing that got me back into the band around ADTOE after a very long period of disinterest in new DT material.   So while I don't consider the album to be in the league of I&W  (that applies to 99.99% of albums from anyone) I am happy to see them continuing in this vein.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #9017 on: February 27, 2019, 11:00:55 PM »
Posted this on the BC&SL thread, but it deserves to be posted here: I like SC more than Octavarium.

Me too. I haven't listened to Octavarium in a long time. Maybe a year but I do love the title track. I think I'll listen to both albums black to black.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #9018 on: February 27, 2019, 11:02:19 PM »

More controversial: I like In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 2 more than Octavarium.  :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #9019 on: February 27, 2019, 11:11:03 PM »
ITPOE pt 2 should be banished from modern civilization.

:lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #9020 on: February 28, 2019, 07:23:50 AM »

I kind of agree.

I agree too.  Certainly a good album but for me no better than any other MM era album (forgetting The Asstonishing)

I also don't get the idea that it's some kind of balls to the wall metal album either.  It's certainly heavy in parts but then so was DT12.

Having said the above the album is a continuation of the more melodic song-focused writing that got me back into the band around ADTOE after a very long period of disinterest in new DT material.   So while I don't consider the album to be in the league of I&W  (that applies to 99.99% of albums from anyone) I am happy to see them continuing in this vein.

I think it's probably their best in a long time, since SFAM, heck no, I mean SDOIT does exist and it's their best album. But it's good. It is sitting better than the other MM albums for me right now though, it just feels better, which sounds silly and abstract, but it's how I feel.

I definitely don't think it's a "balls to the wall metal album" either. If ToT is the "metal" DT record, I think this album is ToT heavy stuff dipped in FII structure and flow.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9021 on: February 28, 2019, 09:05:29 AM »

More controversial: I like In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 2 more than Octavarium.  :lol

ITPOE (full song) is their most underrated epic. What a fantastic song it is.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Evai

« Reply #9022 on: February 28, 2019, 09:06:05 AM »
Ministry of Lost Souls solo section is perfect for the song. Without it, it would be a mid-paced snorefest, but the frantic middle section actually makes the whole song come together much better.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #9023 on: February 28, 2019, 11:29:00 AM »

You're not alone there.  I even like WDADU over 8V.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9024 on: February 28, 2019, 11:39:44 AM »
The first 3 songs on DoT are great. Room 137 is the weak link.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9025 on: February 28, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »

Me too. I haven't listened to Octavarium in a long time. Maybe a year but I do love the title track. I think I'll listen to both albums black to black.

I agree with both of these statements

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #9026 on: February 28, 2019, 07:18:39 PM »

Definitely. And the signature DT waste of time balad.

The rest of the album is 7 to 10/10.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9027 on: February 28, 2019, 07:36:46 PM »

I really like Out of Reach.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #9028 on: February 28, 2019, 08:02:49 PM »

Me too.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #9029 on: March 01, 2019, 06:51:00 AM »

Me too.
I really like it too and I don't prefer most of their balads.  Since we're in the controversial thread, I might say it's their best one.