Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 987590 times)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #8820 on: January 18, 2019, 03:53:31 AM »
Probably some have (partially) been said before, but:
OK, I'll bite: 
-I find WDADU to be a better album (lyrically and musically) than SFAM, which is in the bottom 4 fav. albums for me.
That's a bold statement. I think WDADU is an overlooked album, it's certainly better than it gets credit for, but SFAM is a top-tier DT album for me, and WDADU kind of... isn't. 
-I find SFAM incredibly overrated as a concept album ("best concept album ever" claims make no sense to me)
Yeah, it's certainly not the best concept album ever, but it is a serious effort.
-I don't like the Metal albums (BC&SL, TOT and SC) as much as the other albums
I actually agree with this. I'd rather have metal songs or songs with a metal section on a diverse album than an entire metal album. I've never really thought of SC as a metal album, mind.
-About BC&SL, TCOT is in my top 3 DT songs, specially the Happy Holidays version
I also love that song. It's stunning. 
-TA is my 3rd favourite album by DT, after Awake and I&W
Yeah, people either love it or hate it. Personally I hate it, but I can see why others love it, and I respect your opinion. 
-OK, this is the most heavily loaded one: I don't think that Mike Portnoy is a good drummer. He's influential, and I respect that, and he added cool things to the songs (and some really bad things), but, he tends to overplay everything, and add the same fills whenever there's a chance; that's cool the first three times, then it becomes tiresome. Some people like that, and fine, but I just... don't.
I've said this before - MP was a great drummer when the band started. One of the best. But he got lazy, especially by the time of his last 2 albums, and his drumming went from being exciting and fresh to being often sloppy, uninspired and boring to listen to. Plus, of course, younger and better drummers came up and he just failed to raise his game. I just wish the band had employed MM to play drums and kept MP on in a management role to deal with the fans. 
-Petrucci and Portnoy aren't good producers. Petrucci makes everything loud and muddy, and Portnoy made everything LOUD and dry.
Kind of agree, but as I've said before, this "everything louder than everything else" thing is a plague on modern music, and not just restricted to DT. Given the nature of their music and their fanbase, I do wish we could get a proper audiophile production out of the band. TA was actually the closest they've come, despite the fact I don't like that album, the production is first rate.

"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #8821 on: January 18, 2019, 08:27:47 AM »

Not sure if anyone else has shared this potentially controversial oppinion before, but I think Train of Thought is a drop-dead masterpeice, and as important to DT's catalogue as anything written before it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8822 on: January 18, 2019, 08:32:41 AM »

Not sure if anyone else has shared this potentially controversial oppinion before, but I think Train of Thought is a drop-dead masterpeice, and as important to DT's catalogue as anything written before it.

If you think Train of Thought is a masterpiece, more power to ya, but when it comes to what DT albums are the most important, I think it is impossible to argue that I&W and Scenes aren't their most important albums by a wide distance.

Offline rab7

« Reply #8823 on: January 18, 2019, 08:38:59 AM »

If you think Train of Thought is a masterpiece, more power to ya, but when it comes to what DT albums are the most important, I think it is impossible to argue that I&W and Scenes aren't their most important albums by a wide distance.

I don't think he's arguing against that. I think he's saying that TOT is just as important as I&W and Scenes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8824 on: January 18, 2019, 08:51:24 AM »

I don't think he's arguing against that. I think he's saying that TOT is just as important as I&W and Scenes.

Right, and I don't think that argument can successfully be made.  There is simply no way ToT was as important to the band as I&W and Scenes when you consider what those two albums did for the band.

Offline rab7

« Reply #8825 on: January 18, 2019, 08:55:57 AM »

when you consider what those two albums did for the band.

Not arguing for or against, but I think TOT brought a lot of fans that are really into the heavier side of metal, which influenced their decision to make much heavier tracks later on in the discography. Some people say that Portnoy was trying to steer the band too much to the heavier side, and I think this started because of TOT.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8826 on: January 18, 2019, 09:04:52 AM »
I just wish the band had employed MM to play drums and kept MP on in a management role to deal with the fans.

LOL!  Hard to imagine how big of a train wreck that would have been.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #8827 on: January 18, 2019, 09:26:28 AM »

Exactly. I would never argue that TOT was more important than Images or Scenes, but I think its lasting impact on their sound is just as significant. The modern metal side of DT was born with TOT and it has been, with some few exceptions, a major part of their sound ever since.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8828 on: January 18, 2019, 09:36:36 AM »
The Glass Prison down??

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8829 on: January 18, 2019, 10:14:25 AM »
The Glass Prison down??

Yeah, The Glass Prison is the catalyst to their metal side.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #8830 on: January 18, 2019, 10:14:59 AM »
EPIC outro is right. TOT wasn't more important to the band than I&W or SFAM, but the album really opened precedents, brought in a lot of fans and "changed everything" in a way. I'm not a big fan of this legacy, but I can't deny it.

The Glass Prison down??

TOT is a kind of enlargement of the vibe and musical ideias of TGP.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #8831 on: January 18, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »
EPIC outro is right. TOT wasn't more important to the band than I&W or SFAM, but the album really opened precedents, brought in a lot of fans and "changed everything" in a way. I'm not a big fan of this legacy, but I can't deny it.

The Glass Prison down??

TOT is a kind of enlargement of the vibe and musical ideias of TGP.

If The Glass Prison was a preview of things to come, than Train of Thought was pretty much Glass Prison: The Album lol.

But you are right. TGP was definitely the start of that new heaviness, but TOT took it to the max.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8832 on: January 18, 2019, 03:23:01 PM »
Yea SDOIT was more experimental including that super heavy TGP, but TOT took that and made all the songs super heavy (minus the ballad of course). 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8833 on: January 18, 2019, 07:53:43 PM »
-I don't like the Metal albums (BC&SL, TOT and SC) as much as the other albums
I actually agree with this. I'd rather have metal songs or songs with a metal section on a diverse album than an entire metal album. I've never really thought of SC as a metal album, mind.
This isn't directed so much at you, Orange, but the more I think about it, the more I don't think BCaSL dserves to be lumped into the "metal album" category. I mean, yeah, ANtR, ARoP and TSF are (in general) metal songs, but Wither, TBoT and TCoT most certainly are not anymore metal than anything from SFaM on back - that's half the album. And even ANtR has some really beautiful, mellow parts. I mean, I get that BCaSL was more or less a continuation of SC in terms of general sound, but I would say it's decidedly less metal.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8834 on: January 18, 2019, 07:55:24 PM »
I agree Scotty. I think calling SC and BC&SL metal albums is lazy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8835 on: January 22, 2019, 10:26:47 AM »
And even ANtR has some really beautiful, mellow parts.

Well, yeah.  But so do a lot of METAL songs.  It isn't any less "metal" just because it has a part that is beautiful, mellow, or soft.  I think sometimes we get too hung up on trying to make things fit into neat boxes and divide things up.  DT has always been a metal band.  Yes, they do ballads.  And, yes, they have parts in most of their songs that are beautiful, mellow, or soft.  But it seems strange to me to try and classify them as not metal because of that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #8836 on: January 22, 2019, 10:31:24 AM »

Well, yeah.  But so do a lot of METAL songs.  It isn't any less "metal" just because it has a part that is beautiful, mellow, or soft.

Case in point: pre-Heritage Opeth. Sometimes the mellow stuff makes it MORE metal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8837 on: January 22, 2019, 11:17:41 AM »

Well, yeah.  But so do a lot of METAL songs.  It isn't any less "metal" just because it has a part that is beautiful, mellow, or soft.  I think sometimes we get too hung up on trying to make things fit into neat boxes and divide things up.  DT has always been a metal band.  Yes, they do ballads.  And, yes, they have parts in most of their songs that are beautiful, mellow, or soft.  But it seems strange to me to try and classify them as not metal because of that.
Right - but you're ignoring the rest of my post, that points out half of the album is not metal in the sense of say most of Train of Thought or stuff like Constant Motion and TDEN. The detail about ANtR just reinforces my point about why I don't think BCaSL should be labeled as a "metal album" in the same sense as ToT, or to a lesser degree, SC.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #8838 on: January 22, 2019, 03:16:46 PM »
Isn't TCoT metal?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8839 on: January 22, 2019, 03:19:41 PM »
Isn't TCoT metal?
Not any more than anything pre-ToT.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8840 on: January 22, 2019, 03:45:47 PM »
I think you'd have a hard time convincing me that any pre-TA song by DT (limited to official releases) isn't "metal."  Only the degree of heaviness changes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8841 on: January 22, 2019, 03:53:22 PM »
I think you'd have a hard time convincing me that any pre-TA song by DT (limited to official releases) isn't "metal."  Only the degree of heaviness changes.

lol plenty of their songs aren't metal. Anna Lee isn't metal. Through her Eyes isn't metal. Etc. Etc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #8842 on: January 22, 2019, 03:59:00 PM »
There are frustratingly few terms to describe different flavours of metal, somehow. This is surprising to me given how many well-understood sub-genres there are.

But DT are a metal band and always have been, however varied their style can be.

TOT, SC and BCSL all show the band often aiming for a slightly different flavour of metal than previously, tho. Heavier? Probably a little. More abrasive? Yeah, a bit. More straight-faced? Definitely.

I've said it before and will say it again. It didn't suit them and sounded like they were trying way too hard to sound tough/hard/edgy/street/real/whatever, imo.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful because I love the band but it wasn't a good look on them. I'm so delighted that phase ended with MPs departure.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #8843 on: January 22, 2019, 05:05:00 PM »
I think this discussion can generate some very interesting questions.

Is Prog metal (the genre)  effectively a mix of heavy metal and progressive rock? Or merely a kind of metal that incorporated elements of progressive rock? ( like "neoclassical metal", which clearly incorporated elements of classical music, but is far from actually being a real blend of the two universes).

I think some bands are metal bands with some progressive influences (Symphony X). Others are bands that firmly follow the "style" of the subgenre Prog Metal, with all the clichés (most of the more current bands). And a few are actually able to make music that truly combines progressive elements with metal. Dream Theater between them.

I say this because I think most of Prog Metal is merely a sub style of heavy metal. Far from progressive rock (and it's easy to see that a large portion of prog metal audiences do not listen to prog rock, which may be a clue). Also, I think some bands like DT or Pain of Salvation can not be merely heavy metal bands with progressive influence. They are more than that.

I do not know if it was clear what I meant. I do not know if it's clear enough for me lol.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8844 on: January 22, 2019, 05:16:10 PM »
Is Prog metal (the genre)  effectively a mix of heavy metal and progressive rock? Or merely a kind of metal that incorporated elements of progressive rock?

Yes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #8845 on: January 22, 2019, 05:19:01 PM »
Isn't TCoT metal?
Not any more than anything pre-ToT.

There's definitely a decent part of it that I'd say is metal, but that part is only 6 or 7 minutes long (which still makes it long enough to be a song by itself) but it also make it only a third out of the full 19 minutes song. So is it a metal song if 2/3 of it aren't really metal?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8846 on: January 22, 2019, 05:21:57 PM »
Whenever I have to describe DT to anyone, I refer to them as the Heavy Metal version of Yes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8847 on: January 22, 2019, 05:24:22 PM »
Whenever I have to describe DT to anyone, I refer to them as the Heavy Metal version of Yes.

And then, they respond with "Who?" and you say, "No, Yes," and they say, "well, which is it?!"  Hilarity ensues....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8848 on: January 22, 2019, 05:32:46 PM »

And then, they respond with "Who?" and you say, "No, Yes," and they say, "well, which is it?!"  Hilarity ensues....

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #8849 on: January 22, 2019, 05:59:21 PM »
While we are discussing prog, this podcast with JP and JR on their Top 5 prog instrumentals is a good listen:

https://youtu.be/99SyXvRWiCg

JP sort of considers MoP era Metallica as prog. :-)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8850 on: January 22, 2019, 06:05:29 PM »
To a degree I can see that, but I'd say that genre description is more fitting for AJFA.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8851 on: January 22, 2019, 06:51:17 PM »

I refer to them as a more progressive version of Europe.  :biggrin:

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #8852 on: January 22, 2019, 10:42:13 PM »
See, I’ve never really considered DT “metal”, even though that’s how they always get marketed. To me, they’ve always been straight up progressive rock, and at times, progressive hard rock. None of their heaviest tunes strike me as metal, although I guess it depends which genre of metal you most commonly associate with the term “metal”. To me, heavy doesn’t automatically = metal. Some of Beethoven’s compositions are heavy as fuck in certain sections, but it ain’t metal. Steve Vai’s music is very heavy sometimes, but I’ve never, ever considered him to be a “metal” guitarist. Same goes for DT. And, quite frankly, I wish they weren’t marketed as metal, because in a way it dumbs them down a bit.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #8853 on: January 22, 2019, 10:59:53 PM »
To a degree I can see that, but I'd say that genre description is more fitting for AJFA.

Yeah definitely.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #8854 on: January 22, 2019, 11:04:29 PM »
See, I’ve never really considered DT “metal”, even though that’s how they always get marketed. To me, they’ve always been straight up progressive rock, and at times, progressive hard rock. None of their heaviest tunes strike me as metal, although I guess it depends which genre of metal you most commonly associate with the term “metal”. To me, heavy doesn’t automatically = metal. Some of Beethoven’s compositions are heavy as fuck in certain sections, but it ain’t metal. Steve Vai’s music is very heavy sometimes, but I’ve never, ever considered him to be a “metal” guitarist. Same goes for DT. And, quite frankly, I wish they weren’t marketed as metal, because in a way it dumbs them down a bit.

I've already thought exactly like that. However, they undeniably have strong metal characteristics. Because of this I said above that I consider them as a good example of a band that really mixes progressive with metal. Unlike a band like Periphery, it is in this trend to make a type of metal more complex and difficult as possible.