Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 989099 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #8645 on: November 18, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
Yes, there’s a lot GREAT drumming in OVM and SC, specially the latter. For BC&SL he sounds very sterile and like he just didn’t care too much, imo.  That blastbeat wasn’t good, AROP has the worst MP fill ever recorded and he overplayed in many parts of Wither. TBOT has a very cool intro but the rest is MP by the numbers. TCOT and TSF do have very good/consistent drumming, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #8646 on: November 19, 2018, 12:21:56 AM »
Agreed about MP's drumming. After TOT it felt like i knew each fill and each cymbal hit before it was even played. Still very enjoyable drumming, but nothing mindblowing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8647 on: November 19, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »
TBH, I think there is a lot of overplaying by MP on I&W.  I don't think it's so bad as to be tasteless, but nevertheless.

I also understand that the triggers don't do it any favors.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ganjalf

« Reply #8648 on: November 23, 2018, 11:01:28 AM »
They should fire LaBrie. I think they even know that. I've stopped going to their concerts because of him.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #8649 on: November 23, 2018, 11:03:04 AM »
 :lol Good one..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8650 on: November 24, 2018, 08:24:55 AM »
They should fire LaBrie. I think they even know that. I've stopped going to their concerts because of him.

This is just foolish.  I go in knowing the expectations are lessened because of age. That goes for all or them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8651 on: November 24, 2018, 11:10:57 AM »
YIKES,,  Pretty bold for a 3rd post!  But........NO! James Labrie rocks and is irreplaceable imo.
Anyway, welcome to the forum..  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #8652 on: November 24, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »
YIKES,,  Pretty bold for a 3rd post!  But........NO! James Labrie rocks and is irreplaceable imo.
Anyway, welcome to the forum..  :lol

His last post was 2 years ago.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #8653 on: November 24, 2018, 06:00:25 PM »
His last post was 2 years ago.

I wonder what prompts trolls to come out randomly like this.  No real reason for this one.  Meh.

Offline Ganjalf

« Reply #8654 on: November 24, 2018, 08:26:53 PM »
I'm not trolling, it's just my honest opinion. I'm not saying it to provoke and you definitely don't have to agree with me. I respect your disagreement.

Have i missed the point of this thread..?

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #8655 on: November 25, 2018, 12:45:49 PM »
I'm not trolling, it's just my honest opinion. I'm not saying it to provoke and you definitely don't have to agree with me. I respect your disagreement.

Yes, you have:

I thought this might be an interesting topic-- thinking of any thoughts you have on DT songs or albums that you think will spark mass debate and not sit well with the general crowd.

Offline dream75

« Reply #8656 on: November 25, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »

When did you stop going to concerts?

Offline Ganjalf

« Reply #8657 on: November 25, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »

After the Astonishing tour. I had only seen them one time before on the Along for the ride tour, but i guess i was just so excited to finally see them that i didn't really care. But The Astonishing was HORRIBLE! After that i didn't want to see him butcher Images & Words on the anniversary tour as well so i decided that i won't be going to their future concerts. It's much better to watch their dvds and blu-rays. Especially Score since it's totally dubbed.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #8658 on: November 25, 2018, 06:24:09 PM »

After the Astonishing tour. I had only seen them one time before on the Along for the ride tour, but i guess i was just so excited to finally see them that i didn't really care. But The Astonishing was HORRIBLE! After that i didn't want to see him butcher Images & Words on the anniversary tour as well so i decided that i won't be going to their future concerts. It's much better to watch their dvds and blu-rays. Especially Score since it's totally dubbed.

What!?? The Astonishing was an awesome concert. And JLB was sounding great! I saw it 3 times, traveling twice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8659 on: November 25, 2018, 06:27:04 PM »
JLB sounded good when I saw them on the Astonishing tour, but most of the clips I saw from the I&W And Beyond tour were rough to watch, to put it nicely.  I'd still go see them if they came to St. Louis, but I doubt I'd travel to see them ever again.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #8660 on: November 25, 2018, 10:02:03 PM »
JLB sounded good when I saw them on the Astonishing tour, but most of the clips I saw from the I&W And Beyond tour were rough to watch, to put it nicely.

I think I have read and heard several times that very same thing.. I have the strong impression that most people who likes James' nowaday performances are those that actually go to see him, and that most people that do not like how he sounds are people judging him by youtube videos... (which, like in this case, it could happen simultaneously)

Offline Volante99

« Reply #8661 on: November 25, 2018, 11:09:15 PM »
JLB sounded good when I saw them on the Astonishing tour, but most of the clips I saw from the I&W And Beyond tour were rough to watch, to put it nicely.

I think I have read and heard several times that very same thing.. I have the strong impression that most people who likes James' nowaday performances are those that actually go to see him, and that most people that do not like how he sounds are people judging him by youtube videos... (which, like in this case, it could happen simultaneously)

It’s been said before but cell phone recordings can be super unforgiving. Every time I see them I always first watch some YouTube videos and get nervous about how LaBrie is going to perform, but when it comes to concert time, LIVE, he does fine and I always go home impressed. An actual rock/metal concert is pushing some serious decibels and in the onslaught of sound and experience you don’t really notice or even care if LaBrie is or isn’t 100% on pitch. That said I did NOT see them on the last tour.

But he sounded good on the Astonishing, and GREAT on Along for the Ride. I’m fairly confident he’ll be able to pull off Scenes.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8662 on: November 26, 2018, 12:24:51 AM »
I’ve never, ever, come back home unhappy from a DT concert because of a JLB night off. And i’ve seen them on every tour cicle since 2005.
If anything, the only time I didn’t like a gig it was because of the package (damn PN ‘09) and a setlist made so most of the time James wasn’t on stage.

And, for sure, for the reasons Volante99 said, if you go home looking back on YT of what you thought was a perfect night for him you might find it wasn’t, thing is: why do I have to look for proofs I was wrong about something I actually felt great about?!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 05:38:27 AM by DreamerTV »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8663 on: November 26, 2018, 03:48:52 AM »
Concerts are all about the experience, being there in the moment. If it seemed good to you when you was there, then it was good. If you think that Petrucci played flawlessly, then he played flawlessly, no matter if he did a minor screwup that, if you enhance a lot a YouTube video and raise your espensive headphones to the maximum, you are then able to hear.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #8664 on: November 26, 2018, 04:13:54 AM »
Honestly that's kind of my gripe with singular live songs in general. I don't think you can really get that "concert experience" without the context of the entire set, so if you try to play just one song it's always just "hey, here's the song again but worse". :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #8665 on: November 26, 2018, 07:07:11 AM »
Especially Score since it's totally dubbed.
It's not. Live at Budokan is the only one of their newer DVDs (with MP, afterwards no one asked them about those things) that has vocal overdubs.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Ganjalf

« Reply #8666 on: November 26, 2018, 07:31:08 AM »
Especially Score since it's totally dubbed.
It's not. Live at Budokan is the only one of their newer DVDs (with MP, afterwards no one asked them about those things) that has vocal overdubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDcEBq9GrLk

If you can't hear the difference i don't know what to say..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8667 on: November 26, 2018, 07:48:51 AM »

Yes, you have:

I thought this might be an interesting topic-- thinking of any thoughts you have on DT songs or albums that you think will spark mass debate and not sit well with the general crowd.

Not only that, but Rule #12:

12. Insults or senseless bashing of the current or former band members of Dream Theater and/or their music will not be tolerated.  Honest, open critique is always allowed, provided it is constructive and does not cross the line and become bashing, belittling, etc.

Calling for a band member to be fired is CLEARLY crossing the line.  Any similar types of comments may result in a ban from the forums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ganjalf

« Reply #8668 on: November 26, 2018, 08:26:01 AM »
Wow.. i guess i'm done posting here then if you can't handle an honest opinion.  :facepalm:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8669 on: November 26, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »
Wow.. i guess i'm done posting here then if you can't handle an honest opinion.  :facepalm:

Up to you.  But it's more an issue of whether you can handle following rules.  You are welcome to have any opinion you like.  And, within reasonable bounds, you are welcome to express that opinion.  As we often say, for the most part, it isn't what you say, but how you say it.  Again, whether you choose to abide by that is on you.  If so, by all means stay.  If not...well, that's easy too. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8670 on: November 26, 2018, 12:56:56 PM »
For sure James voice is the weak link live.  We all know that but they are not going to throw him out for that.  Bands work around that as they get older.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #8671 on: November 26, 2018, 04:54:40 PM »

I've only seen them once which was on the Images and Words anniversary tour. I thought LaBrie sounded good if a bit grating on the ears. I rarely go to concerts so maybe I'm just not used to the volume. Everything was so loud that his vocals weren't as clear as they are on a YouTube video. Plus I was very hyped and very drunk. I'd be interested to hear some cellphone recording of that night I went to see them.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8672 on: November 26, 2018, 05:00:43 PM »

Boring fans who go to concerts to intently listen to every little thing to point out any mistake notwithstanding ;), it's easy to get swept up in the euphoria of a concert and not notice mistakes, flubs, rough vocals, etc.  Heck, Geddy Lee sounded pretty rough the last few Rush tours, but I barely noticed at the shows I saw and still enjoyed the hell out of them, so it's easy to do the same thing with Dream Theater shows and JLB's vocals.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #8673 on: November 26, 2018, 05:15:02 PM »

I don't think what you said was that bad but it would've went down a little better if you said LaBrie should be replaced.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8674 on: November 26, 2018, 05:44:44 PM »
Boring fans who go to concerts to intently listen to every little thing to point out any mistake notwithstanding ;), it's easy to get swept up in the euphoria of a concert and not notice mistakes, flubs, rough vocals, etc.  Heck, Geddy Lee sounded pretty rough the last few Rush tours, but I barely noticed at the shows I saw and still enjoyed the hell out of them, so it's easy to do the same thing with Dream Theater shows and JLB's vocals.
Certainly the excitement of the show (and the loud volume) can cause a fan to gloss over some of the finer details of a performance, including the flaws, but if the flaws are significant enough, the excitement won't be enough to ignore them. When I saw DT at the RCMH show in 2006, JP's guitar dropped out during UaGM (magically fixed for Score!), and there was no way anyone wouldn't notice that.

And even when I saw Rush for the last time, which happened to be their very last show in LA, I remember thinking to myself "boy I really hope Geddy's able to make it through this show, because he really seems to be struggling". Previously I had not been critical of Geddy's vocals, nor had I been making any effort whatsoever to notice any flaws in his singing, but it was way too obvious that I couldn't help but notice.

I'd say the same thing is true about JL's performances. I've seen them at least once on every tour since 1993, and while I know he'd sometimes hit some flat notes or struggle to reach some high notes at various shows throughout the years, I can't say that there's ever been a show that has stood out to me that made me think he was really struggling. That goes for every tour up to 2016. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the tour last year (first time I missed a DT tour), so I can't comment on those shows from personal experience. But while there are no doubt many armchair quarterbacks that are critiquing JL's performances based strictly on what they see on YouTube, I've seen enough comments from those in attendance at those 2017 shows who said they could tell JL was struggling. A few may have been the "boring fans" Kev's referring to who were looking for every little mistake, but that's not the case with most of them, any more than I was when I saw the aforementioned DT and Rush shows. So I don't think ToT-147's comments are very accurate.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8675 on: November 26, 2018, 06:07:56 PM »
As someone who has recorded some DT music live, I concur that I don't notice the mistakes until I listen afterwards.  In the moment I always come away thinking JLB sounded great, and on most of the videos he does.  But there's definitely spots from both the TA shows (Lord Nefaryus spots) and I&W where you could easily notice him struggling on the recordings (and to further prove that, my gf spotted one while I was watching my video and she had never heard the song before, just made an off hand comment while she was doing something else along the lines of "wow, the singer really is struggling there").  JLB overall is good for me though, he sounds mostly great and I think the band will continue to write music and perform songs in a way that better suite his aging voice. 

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #8676 on: November 26, 2018, 08:11:46 PM »
@Setlist Scotty - Fair enough.. But I guess none of us here is really trying to be "accurate".. Saying "most of people...", "a few", "enough comments..." has nothing to do with accuracy.. We're rather sharing different experiencies and point of views about this very old and trite subject (or well trodden, or played out... well, a cliche, you got the idea)..

@KevShmev - Since you were at first talking about clips that were rough to watch, and I then talked about James' performance, I was really including the whole acting he does on stage in my comment, not only the singing part.. Once you're in the show, you're seeing him moving around, shaking his head, clapping and interacting with the crowd.. With youtube videos, you don't have any of that, so I think that euphoria is an intrinsic part of the experience of going to see him and seeing the band.....

(and none of the following is directed at any of you in particular)

..... Because we're really seeing the band after all.. I mean, and I've been wanted to say this for a very long time, I think criticism against James, besides being very excessive and unfair, is directly fallacious.. I think that if we like a certain band, therefore we should go to the shows to see the entire band, right?... not just the singer.. And if we're in the mood to criticize a band as if we were a jury of music specialists rather than fans, then we should criticize the whole band and not just focus on destroying one of the members.. Much less when it comes to the hardest instrument to execute correctly (the voice) and when it comes to one of the most demanding bands in terms of that same instrument... and when we're not talking about any young singer precisely, ETC...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:30:52 PM by ToT-147 »

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #8677 on: November 26, 2018, 09:12:25 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most band members fired for personality reasons rather than their strength as a performer? I mean, whether you love or hate LaBrie, we can't really tell how well he still "gels" with the other members creatively.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #8678 on: November 26, 2018, 09:18:18 PM »
(and none of the following is directed at any of you in particular)

..... Because we're really seeing the band after all.. I mean, and I've been wanted to say this for a very long time, I think criticism against James, besides being very excessive and unfair, is directly fallacious.. I think that if we like a certain band, therefore we should go to the shows to see the entire band, right?... not just the singer.. And if we're in the mood to criticize a band as if we were a jury of music specialists rather than fans, then we should criticize the whole band and not just focus on destroying one of the members.. Much less when it comes to the hardest instrument to execute correctly (the voice) and when it comes to one of the most demanding bands in terms of that same instrument... and when we're not talking about any young singer precisely, ETC...

I don't understand your position on this. Why is it fallacious to criticize one member in a band? If that band member is always fucking up (and I'm not saying LaBrie is guilty of this) then that band member can bring the whole performance down. Let's say the guitar player is terrible but the rest of the band is amazing. Why should the talents of the rest of the band shield the guitarist from criticism?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8679 on: November 26, 2018, 09:25:50 PM »
...we can't really tell how well he still "gels" with the other members creatively.

We can't really know how any band member gels with other members, just like you can't really know about couples. Ever known a couple who told you they were getting divorced, and couldn't believe it because you never would have thought anything was wrong?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'