Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 988216 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #8435 on: October 01, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
Most of the percieved differences are due to the volume of MM's drums being mixed quieter than MP's. The psychological effect of louder = better reigns supreme.  :metal That's why something like the drum break of 'In The Air Tonight' is so revered, it's nothing special, it's just mixed LOUD

No. The perceived difference is that they play quite differently from each.

I agree Adami, but I also think part of the perceived difference definitely has something to do with the drum sounds on the MM records vs the MP records, volume included.

The perceived difference in volume is due to volume. The perceived difference in style and preference is due to a difference in style in preference. I just don't like this narrative of "Well if you don't like MM's drumming, it's cause of the recording/volume and it can't POSSIBLY because you don't like what he's doing."

Oh yea, I totally agree with that.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #8436 on: October 01, 2018, 02:42:17 PM »
Not related to the present controversy discussion...

I really enjoy the background vocal harmonies on the latter MP albums, mostly in Forsaken, Repentance ending, Prophets of War, ANtR and the Queen cover on BC&SL. Wish DT would bring back live backing vocals including other members and do more of these harmonies like "In peaceful sedation I lay half awake..." in their new songs.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #8437 on: October 03, 2018, 05:13:47 AM »
Take The Time is redundant on I&W (otherwise a good album concerning the songwriting, not the drumming IMHO, I just never understood why TTT is on I/W, too simplistic)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8438 on: October 03, 2018, 06:22:32 AM »
I really like TTT, but the low point on IAW, to me, is Surrounded. Don’t know how it was included instead of something like TLF or DLPM.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DTA

« Reply #8439 on: October 03, 2018, 07:32:17 AM »
I really like TTT, but the low point on IAW, to me, is Surrounded. Don’t know how it was included instead of something like TLF or DLPM.

Surrounded and TTT are not my favorite songs, but they are perfect representations of the early DT sound. Another Day is the weak point of I&W imo. I like the song enough, but it sounds like a cheesy 80’s power ballad. TLF would’ve been a way better choice.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8440 on: October 03, 2018, 08:02:34 AM »
Take The Time is redundant on I&W (otherwise a good album concerning the songwriting, not the drumming IMHO, I just never understood why TTT is on I/W, too simplistic)

I don't care for the song either, but "redundant" makes no sense in that context.  I have no idea what you are trying to say.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #8441 on: October 03, 2018, 08:22:29 AM »
There is no low point on I&W, you heretics!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #8442 on: October 03, 2018, 08:54:58 AM »

I don't care for the song either, but "redundant" makes no sense in that context.  I have no idea what you are trying to say.
my choice of words might have been awkward yes, that does happen although my English is a lot better than my German. Anyway, I do think TTT stands out for being slightly "out of place" as it were as compared to the other pieces on I/W IMHO (might have been a good fit on FII and not as vitally important a piece as say Met1 on I/W), because of some things that happen in the piece. (verse groove, keyboard comping patterns in the guitar solo section and some other things). I never liked the piece either, but that again is my opinion and I respect anyone's. (I'm not trying to be mean here. Never.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:16:20 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8443 on: October 03, 2018, 10:17:55 AM »

Wow...I love "Surrounded" (and TTT -- "too simplistic"?!?!).  It's worlds better than either TLF or DLPM (the latter, in particular, is a particularly substandard track for DT and easy to understand why it ended up on the scrap heap.  It was easily the low point of the I&W&B show I saw last year.

As for TLF, when they played it on the Music in Progress tour, I assumed it was an unfinished song that might show up on the next album (Awake).  When it didn't, I forgot about it for a good long time (probably until I got the Making of I&W "bootleg" or WDaDRu).  It still feels like an incomplete song, and I think I&W would have been a lesser album if it had been included instead of "Surrounded."

But hey, opinions!

For me, the low point of I&W is UaGM.  And, while I liked it at the time, I usually also skip "Another Day," but that's mostly because I'm excited to get to TTT, "Surrounded" and "Metropolis."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8444 on: October 03, 2018, 12:27:54 PM »
It’s funny that we all think one song or the other is the low point of IAW, and none of us agree on which :lol
I think my main problem with Surrounded is that it’s the one that sounds dated the most, the rest hold up just fine.

Btw, IAW is one of those albums where it’s hard for me to pick my top 5 songs. My top 4 are definitely Metropolis, LTL, UAGM and TTT, but I just can’t settle on the 5th. Depending on my mood, it’s PMU or WFS, and sometimes even AD.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8445 on: October 03, 2018, 12:32:15 PM »
In my opinion, the songs would go:

Great:
-PMU
-Metropolis
-WFS
-LTL

Good:
-UAGM

Okay:
-Surrounded

Don't care for:
-TTT
-AD
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8446 on: October 03, 2018, 12:36:39 PM »

Great:
Pull Me Under
Another Day
Take the Time
Surrounded
Metropolis–Part I: "The Miracle and the Sleeper"
Under a Glass Moon
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8447 on: October 03, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »
I&W songs:

Great
Metropolis
WFS/LTL (hard for me to separate WFS as anything other than an intro/prelude to LTL)
TTT

Really good
Surrounded

Good
PMU

Less Good
AD
UAGM
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #8448 on: October 03, 2018, 03:04:18 PM »
Controversial opinion: the FII demos aren't good, the final product is infinitely superior, Raise the Knife is not good, You Or Me is inferior to You Not Me, Hell's Kitchen is better on its own, the guest singers make the music better, etc.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8449 on: October 03, 2018, 03:05:55 PM »
Controversial opinion: the FII demos aren't good, the final product is infinitely superior, Raise the Knife is not good, You Or Me is inferior to You Not Me, Hell's Kitchen is better on its own, the guest singers make the music better, etc.

I agree with everything except the Raise the Knife bit.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8450 on: October 03, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »

Yup, but the wrongness of the RTK opinion actually discredits the rest of it somehow.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8451 on: October 03, 2018, 03:46:35 PM »
RTK is boring as all get out. I just watched it on the Score DVD and these days I wish it wasn't even on it tbh. Would've rather had an actual FII song played.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8452 on: October 03, 2018, 04:50:20 PM »

I generally agree (although I rank FII in the bottom three of DT's albums).

I first heard "Raise the Knife" when I got the Score DVD back in 2006.  I probably only watched/listened to it once or twice because I usually start with the orchestra tracks (and the bonus stuff on disc 2) when I watch Score.  I sought out the Cleaning Out the Closet version not to long ago when I saw a bunch of folks here fawning over it.  I agree that it's pretty boring.

There's a reason why songs like RTK, "To Live Forever" and "Don't Look Past Me" were cast onto the scrap heap.

I definitely agree that You Not Me >>> You or Me.

Not sure what you mean about the guest singers, but the Doug Pinnick part of "Lines in the Sand" might be the worst thing about FII.

I don't think I've ever heard "Burning My Soul" with "Hell's Kitchen" in the middle, but I think HK is just fine on its own (and am not a big fan of BMS), so I likely agree with you on that.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8453 on: October 03, 2018, 04:52:58 PM »

Same here. I can live without CME, WAYN, STM and TWIUTB, but RTK is better than most songs on the actual FII.

YNM is definitely better than YOM. BMS works better without HK in it and so on.

Doug Pinnick ruined LITS, though.

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #8454 on: October 03, 2018, 04:55:30 PM »

Great:
-PMU
-Metropolis
-WFS
-LTL

Good:
-UAGM

Okay:
-Surrounded

Don't care for:
-TTT
-AD

Great:
-PMU
-Metropolis
-WFS
-LTL
-UAGM
-Surrounded

Don't care for:
-TTT
-AD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8455 on: October 03, 2018, 05:31:43 PM »
Not sure what you mean about the guest singers, but the Doug Pinnick part of "Lines in the Sand" might be the worst thing about FII.

Typo, my fault - singer, not singers. I love that part of LITS, it's one of my favorite moments of the album honestly.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #8456 on: October 03, 2018, 07:31:58 PM »

So I am the guy whose favorites in I&W are Surrounded and TTT. :-P

The low point of that album is Learning To Live. That is the one that really sounds dated. Good think they finally got it right with Breaking All Illusions.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8457 on: October 04, 2018, 10:12:42 AM »
The low point of that album is Learning To Live. That is the one that really sounds dated. Good think they finally got it right with Breaking All Illusions.

LOL LTL :lol....and how did they finally get it right with all that great material in between?  Not to mention that BAI should've been the album closer.

The title of the thread is "controversial" not flat out ridiculous.  What you said makes no sense.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8458 on: October 04, 2018, 10:14:40 AM »
No need to call that opinion ridiculous. It's controversial, perhaps, but not ridiculous. LTL does sound dated, particularly because of 'the 90s bring new questions' lyric.

Take the Time freaking rules.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8459 on: October 04, 2018, 10:15:12 AM »

LOL LTL :lol....and how did they finally get it right with all that great material in between?  Not to mention that BAI should've been the album closer.

The title of the thread is "controversial" not flat out ridiculous.  What you said makes no sense.

:tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8460 on: October 04, 2018, 12:31:01 PM »

Well, he most likely was thinking about how some songs (not all) on Dramatic mirror quite closely, in structure, the songs off Images and Words. Breaking All Illusions is quite clearly inspired by Learing to Live's structure, so we can see it as a 21th century version of LtL. Just like On the Backs of Angels' structure is inspired by Pull Me Under's.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #8461 on: October 04, 2018, 01:55:15 PM »
It’s funny that we all think one song or the other is the low point of IAW, and none of us agree on which :lol

To me it's even funnier to know that while I think WFS is by far the worst song of I&W, no one seem to be mentioning it and, on the contrary, I know it's actually liked a lot.. The song is in my bottom three DT songs, along with Just Let Me Breathe and New Millenium...

But yeah, I think this fan disagreement happens with every DT album..

There's a reason why songs like RTK, "To Live Forever" and "Don't Look Past Me" were cast onto the scrap heap.

Yes, because the label wanted it..

UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8462 on: October 05, 2018, 07:14:10 PM »
No need to call that opinion ridiculous. It's controversial, perhaps, but not ridiculous. LTL does sound dated, particularly because of 'the 90s bring new questions' lyric.

What does that even mean?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #8463 on: October 05, 2018, 07:22:20 PM »

Show me a post-early 1990s song that has the vibe of that keyboard intro and the song's outro.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8464 on: October 05, 2018, 07:23:51 PM »

That it dates the song to a very late 80s, beginning of 1990s period? Jeeze.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8465 on: October 05, 2018, 07:28:24 PM »

That it dates the song to a very late 80s, beginning of 1990s period? Jeeze.
So one simple line dates the whole song? Even after they've made sure to change it for all live performances?   ::)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8466 on: October 05, 2018, 07:31:35 PM »
I'm saying it just dates it to 30 years ago. And I was referring to the studio version. I don't exactly keep up with every live detail of the band but that doesn't matter anyway, thank you very much, when talking about the version on the album. Not sure why people are getting on my ass about this, I was just saying the guy's opinion wasn't ridiculous.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #8467 on: October 05, 2018, 07:42:43 PM »
I'm saying it just dates it to 30 years ago.
C'mon. The whole album is over 25 years old, so by that reasoning, every song on it is dated. Yet he specifically pinpointed that one song. So the fact that it's as old as it is can't be the reason in and of itself.

If that single line in the lyrics is all that bugs him, then that is a bit much to label the whole song as dated.

And I was referring to the studio version.
And I was simply pointing out a detail you clearly weren't aware of thankyouverymuch.    :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8468 on: October 05, 2018, 07:43:46 PM »
The lyrical content just makes me think of that period. The rest of the album doesn't. I dunno. I love it anyway

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #8469 on: October 05, 2018, 07:47:53 PM »
I'm saying it just dates it to 30 years ago.
C'mon. The whole album is over 25 years old, so by that reasoning, every song on it is dated. Yet he specifically pinpointed that one song. So the fact that it's as old as it is can't be the reason in and of itself.

If that single line in the lyrics is all that bugs him, then that is a bit much to label the whole song as dated.

As I explained in a reply that got lost in between the back and forth, no, it is not the lyrics that make me feel the song is dated. It's the music itself. The vibe of the intro and the outro and so many parts really just scream late 1980s / early 1990s to me.