Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 988120 times)

Offline Evai

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #8400 on: September 27, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »
The only 'bad' moment in the entirety of DT's discography is the rap section in Prophets Of War. Sure, ADToE might be bland 'metal-by-numbers', but it's at least passable  :metal
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8401 on: September 27, 2018, 04:13:53 PM »
Eh, I can do without FFH and BTS for that matter.  WFS is awesome, but I don't really consider it to be a stand alone ballad.  It's more of a prelude or intro to LTL.  SDV never really ranked high in my book until the BTFW version came along.  Love it now.  I don't think any DT ballad is better than SDV by a HUGE margin even if some are better.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8402 on: September 27, 2018, 05:35:25 PM »
It's been eight years, and my current opinion on MP's leaving is that it improved the band's creative output, and that MM has been a compelling drummer so far. At that point in Portnoy's career (Having so many side-projects in mind while the rest of DT just allowed themselves a few contributions on songs or solo albums) leaving was the most sensible thing to do.

However, his commitment to the fans and his live presence are unmatchable, and I still miss him in the band mainly because of that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8403 on: September 27, 2018, 05:53:59 PM »
Eh, I can do without FFH and BTS for that matter.  WFS is awesome, but I don't really consider it to be a stand alone ballad.  It's more of a prelude or intro to LTL.  SDV never really ranked high in my book until the BTFW version came along.  Love it now.  I don't think any DT ballad is better than SDV by a HUGE margin even if some are better.

Even though the differences were fairly subtle in the grand scheme of things, I really enjoy that live version of SDV, even though the studio version is way down near the bottom of the DT discography for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #8404 on: September 28, 2018, 12:54:10 AM »
Since this is the thread of controversial opinions, what MP-era song does Mangini drum better than Portnoy? :p

Panic Attack
Take The Time
Scarred
The Dark Eternal Night

And by the time The Images and Word and Beyond Tour hit Asia, Mangini had already nailed Hell's Kitchen. ;)

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #8405 on: September 28, 2018, 01:12:32 AM »
Since this is the thread of controversial opinions, what MP-era song does Mangini drum better than Portnoy? :p

Panic Attack
Take The Time
Scarred
The Dark Eternal Night

And by the time The Images and Word and Beyond Tour hit Asia, Mangini had already nailed Hell's Kitchen. ;)

Even though i love MM, playing HK with the hi-hats instead of ride cymbal (intro groove) will never make me accept that he nailed it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #8406 on: September 28, 2018, 07:48:17 AM »
I think Space Dye Vest is awesome regardless of it being Kevin's swan song. It's DT's big, somber, majestic piano ballad. What's another piano ballad from DT that comes close? Anna Lee? nah, nice song but not in the same league as SDV. Vacant? too short. Far from Heaven? too late in their carrer to become a classic. Space Dye Vest is the ultimate piano ballad from DT.

Every single one of those songs is better than SDV by a HUGE margin.  And Wait For Sleep is better than them all.

And Strange Deja Vu is better than every single one of those songs. :D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8407 on: September 28, 2018, 09:49:52 AM »

Panic Attack
Take The Time
Scarred
The Dark Eternal Night

Under a Glass Moon
Metropolis
Endless Sacrifice
Lifting Shadows off a Dream
And, ironically, The Shattered Fortress
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #8408 on: September 28, 2018, 09:56:30 AM »

Panic Attack
Take The Time
Scarred
The Dark Eternal Night

no all of them. That's all I'll say. (technically and musically)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #8409 on: September 28, 2018, 10:08:08 AM »

Panic Attack
Take The Time
Scarred
The Dark Eternal Night

Under a Glass Moon
Metropolis
Endless Sacrifice
Lifting Shadows off a Dream
And, ironically, The Shattered Fortress

Yeah, his playing in TSF on BTFW was amazing!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8410 on: September 28, 2018, 10:09:51 AM »
I dunno.  I hate to use "better" in comparing the two.  They are both off the charts. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #8411 on: September 28, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »
Technical perfection and precision are measurable. You could compare them in these terms. Not everyone will though. IMHO, better technique always "wins". There you go.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #8412 on: September 28, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »

Panic Attack
Take The Time
Scarred
The Dark Eternal Night

I don't know about the others, but MM absolutely ruined the best part of TDEN (from 4:50-4:59 fyi), so I wouldn't say he plays it any better than Portnoy..

To me, they're different.. And I don't actually prefer one over the other, at least regarding only the playing aspect..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8413 on: September 28, 2018, 10:32:41 AM »
Technical perfection and precision are measurable. You could compare them in these terms. Not everyone will though. IMHO, better technique always "wins". There you go.

Yes, technical perfection and precision are measurable.  But neither of those necessarily mean that the more perfect technician is a better drummer or played a song "better."  So there you go.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #8414 on: September 28, 2018, 10:34:57 AM »
Nah, but I also think Mangini plays better than Portnoy does nowadays  :lol

Fight! Fight!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8415 on: September 28, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »
I dunno.  I hate to use "better" in comparing the two.  They are both off the charts.

This.  I couldn't even tell you how MM plays anything differently than MP.  While I'm sure I have noticed differences when I've seen DT live, nothing has ever been so significant so as to have stuck with me, and I really can't conceive paying so much attention to only one element of the band.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8416 on: September 28, 2018, 02:20:02 PM »

Even though the differences were fairly subtle in the grand scheme of things, I really enjoy that live version of SDV, even though the studio version is way down near the bottom of the DT discography for me.

Yeah, I suppose the same would apply to most of us regarding Hollow Years studio compared to the L@B version.  My fav being the latter. :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8417 on: September 28, 2018, 02:25:59 PM »
I am quite firmly in the minority that feel that that version did little to elevate it.  On the rare occasion that I watch or listen to L@B, I usually skip it.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8418 on: September 28, 2018, 02:27:35 PM »
 :(

Offline Volante99

« Reply #8419 on: September 28, 2018, 02:28:20 PM »
MM playing Scarred better than MP?? Crazy talk.

Listen to how MP plays the solo section of that song live on Chaos in Motion. Now listen to the same section on the Breaking the Fourth Wall.

MM might be playing more in perfect time, and more “album accurate” but other than that MP plays this with so much more dynamic and musicality. I get that a lot of this is personal preference but to me the difference is night and day and I defy anyone to tell me MM plays that better with more excitement than Portnoy.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 02:57:24 PM by Volante99 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8420 on: September 28, 2018, 02:33:12 PM »
Listen to how MP plays the solo section of that song live on Chaos in Motion. Now listen to the same section on the Astonishing.

???

Offline Volante99

« Reply #8421 on: September 28, 2018, 02:42:13 PM »
Listen to how MP plays the solo section of that song live on Chaos in Motion. Now listen to the same section on the Astonishing.

???

Is there a question there? If you don’t notice a difference I don’t know what to tell ya

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8422 on: September 28, 2018, 02:46:05 PM »
I don't understand what you are trying to say.  Hence the:  ???

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #8423 on: September 28, 2018, 02:52:35 PM »

???

Is there a question there? If you don’t notice a difference I don’t know what to tell ya

I think he's eluding to the fact that Scarred isn't on The Astonishing.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #8424 on: September 28, 2018, 02:53:48 PM »
Ah I meant Breaking the Fourth Wall for Mangini’s version of the song. Fail

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8425 on: September 28, 2018, 02:54:42 PM »
MM playing Scarred better than MP?? Crazy talk.

I don't remember Scarred being on The Astonishing.  :rollin

Ah I meant Breaking the Third Wall for Mangini’s version of the song. Fail

It's not on the 3rd wall either.   :rollin

Offline Volante99

« Reply #8426 on: September 28, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »
Sorry guys, my brain isn’t right today.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8427 on: September 28, 2018, 03:07:53 PM »
I thought you were trying to compare Mangini's playing on The Astonishing to Portnoy's playing on Scarred, which seemed odd already, but then you said "the same section," which totally threw me.  Okay, I get where you are coming from.  Well, now that that's sorted out...  :lol

I haven't listened to CiM in ages, and even when it was new, I only listened a few times.  So off the top of my head, I can't really comment on Scarred.  But I do know I love the version on BTFW. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8428 on: September 29, 2018, 09:10:08 AM »
I am quite firmly in the minority that feel that that version did little to elevate it.  On the rare occasion that I watch or listen to L@B, I usually skip it.

Even though JP overplays the crap out of the solo, I've come around to liking that live version of Hollow Years quite a bit, but the studio version is still way better.

Listen to how MP plays the solo section of that song live on Chaos in Motion. 

Listen to Chaos in Motion??  Oh, I'm not falling for that one. :P :lol

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #8429 on: September 29, 2018, 02:44:56 PM »
MM might be playing more in perfect time, and more “album accurate” but other than that MP plays this with so much more dynamic and musicality.

And that accuracy is both mandatory and helped by the fact that they play to a click.. I'm sure if DT would've played to a click in MP's days, he would've nailed it too..

Offline Evai

« Reply #8430 on: September 29, 2018, 03:02:07 PM »
Most of the percieved differences are due to the volume of MM's drums being mixed quieter than MP's. The psychological effect of louder = better reigns supreme.  :metal That's why something like the drum break of 'In The Air Tonight' is so revered, it's nothing special, it's just mixed LOUD
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #8431 on: September 29, 2018, 03:15:29 PM »
I don't agree with that.. I don't like MP's drumming because his drums were loud, but because I like it.. In fact, it bothers and distracts me a lot when the drums are high just for the sake of it..

Animals as Leaders and Metallica are good examples, much more because they're so different bands but in both the drums, while being awesome, are unnecessarily very loud in the mix.. The worst thing about loud drums is that the bass becomes almost inaudible.. I know AaL doesn't have bass, but Metallica and similar bands do... I mean, it'd be cool to hear at least one note played by Trujillo in the last couple of albums (or by Myung in the MP era for that matter)..

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8432 on: September 29, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »
Most of the percieved differences are due to the volume of MM's drums being mixed quieter than MP's. The psychological effect of louder = better reigns supreme.  :metal That's why something like the drum break of 'In The Air Tonight' is so revered, it's nothing special, it's just mixed LOUD

No. The perceived difference is that they play quite differently from each.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #8433 on: October 01, 2018, 09:38:28 AM »

I agree Adami, but I also think part of the perceived difference definitely has something to do with the drum sounds on the MM records vs the MP records, volume included.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8434 on: October 01, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »

I agree Adami, but I also think part of the perceived difference definitely has something to do with the drum sounds on the MM records vs the MP records, volume included.

The perceived difference in volume is due to volume. The perceived difference in style and preference is due to a difference in style in preference. I just don't like this narrative of "Well if you don't like MM's drumming, it's cause of the recording/volume and it can't POSSIBLY because you don't like what he's doing."
fanticide.bandcamp.com