Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 985980 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #8365 on: September 22, 2018, 03:37:28 PM »
I think Space Dye Vest is awesome regardless of it being Kevin's swan song. It's DT's big, somber, majestic piano ballad. What's another piano ballad from DT that comes close? Anna Lee? nah, nice song but not in the same league as SDV. Vacant? too short. Far from Heaven? too late in their carrer to become a classic. Space Dye Vest is the ultimate piano ballad from DT.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #8366 on: September 22, 2018, 03:39:04 PM »
Two things from me, which, as always, I have no idea if they are controversial or not:

1 - I confess that when it comes to the epics (excluding Octavarium, because I listen the hell out of it) I catch myself listening more to The Count of Tuscany than A Change of Seasons.

2 - I find The Path that Divides and The Walking Shadow two of the most amazing things DT's ever done, specially The Walking Shadow. Such an amazing short gem!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #8367 on: September 22, 2018, 04:07:53 PM »
Love this thread. The best of the forum somehow. So many different views.

IWBY is better than SDV, TOT, SC, TA and BC&SL.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8368 on: September 22, 2018, 06:13:53 PM »
Well... I do have SDV in my bottom list but exclusively for musical reasons.. But hey, what you're saying could easily be the case for some people, so I kinda see your point..

I don't see his point. SDV sucks on its own weak and boring demerits. It has since day one. Either that, or Scarred blows so hard that SDV needs to suck just to stay on the record.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #8369 on: September 22, 2018, 06:38:27 PM »
Had Kevin Moore not left the band, SDV would have never made anybody's top or bottom list.

I can personally confirm that this is a nope, since SDV and PMU are what blew me away 24 years ago, and SDV is indeed still in my top 10 DT. I had no band context whatsoever at the time. In fact, hearing it for the first time is one of the most memorable media experiences that I've ever had.

:metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8370 on: September 22, 2018, 07:17:27 PM »
Going to bold my responses in the quote box so I don't have to do 15 quote edits

Alright, one per album cycle:

. The triggered snare on I&W is perfectly fine and nobody worried for a loooong time.

Never really thought about it much either way.

. Had Kevin Moore not left the band, SDV would have never made anybody's top or bottom list.

I loved the song on first listen. I don't hold any KevMo romanticism. In fact, I couldn't be less interested in him or anything he does. OSI f'n blows. Top 5 song in my book.

. I am convinced there was never a food poisoning accident, or at least a vocal chords compromising one.

That is some serious conspiracy theorizing. I don't know. I really have no reason to doubt the official story. Did Zach cover this episode? I didn't watch his video.

. DT was totally behind FII's change of musical direction, new looks and all. It is retro-actively narrated and widely considered as terrible troubled times only because the attempt at commercial success failed.

I mean, I suppose MP could've changed his tune on that time period, but again, I think he's honest about how frustrated he was. JP clearly had no problem with it. Not sure I've ever heard James or JM speak about it.

. The Home-TDOE sequence is keeping SFAM from being their best album. Dump HOME's boring sin noises section and a couple of reduntant choruses, fill the hole with TDOE's most interesting four minutes, make a single song of it and call it Metropolis pt2.

WE are on the same page on Home. I consider it DT's most overrated track. I loved the 2010 live versions where they skipped the intro and sped up the tempo. Leave TDOE alone. It's a perfect display of progressive ass kicking.

. The 12 steps suite should have stayed a Glass Prison business. The following entries I could live without and I believe have compromised the following 4 albums.

Personally I love This Dying Soul. But I consider TGP one of DT's worst aging songs, and the rest of it is a waste of time.  Although I must say that I totally respect Repentence and what they were trying to do with it. It's not a personal fave by any stretch, but I think it's actually pretty cool for what it is. It's outside of the box. I appreciate that.

. ToT material is their best material as far as live shows are concerned.

Sure, no argument here, although I think As I Am is pretty weak all the way around. There's also something about how the studio album sounds. I never want to listen to it, but have no problem dialing up a live version of any of the songs.

. Octavarium should have been an EP taylored on the ACOS model. One side live show with the best of the Metallica/Deep Purple/Iron Maiden/Pink Floyd homages, one side with the amazing Octavarium studio song.

Interesting...I'd have no issue with that.

. SC is 100% better ten years after its release.

I thought it was pretty damn good when it was released.

. BC&SL told me DT were finished. It's not an album. it's two generic singles, a suite ending obligation, and three among their most beautiful musical ideas turned into three bloated and rushed songs. It felt they had to come out with something and they had to fill a template, no matter esthetic identity and cooking time.

TBOT and TCOT are two of my all time favorites. Another good EP idea.

. The split saved the band.

Sure

. Mike Mangini's unforgivable sin for a great chunk of DT fans is not being a "look at me" drummer and not being the loudest in the mix.

Not sure what to do with this..

. TA is the only DT album since I&W I wouldn't change a thing on.

I'm glad they made this album.

. Next album is going to reconcile the fandom's two polarized factions.

Yeah, and so is the next election.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PetFish

« Reply #8371 on: September 22, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »
. I am convinced there was never a food poisoning accident, or at least a vocal chords compromising one.

You can do a lot of damage if you puke violently and often which is what I understand happened.

I know when I get a (real, not a "bad headache") migraine and barf/wretch/heave/spew/etc every 30 minutes I burst blood vessels in my face and it looks like I all-of-a-sudden have freckles or measles.

As others have said, it happened suddenly and wasn't a long-term vocal deterioration, so there must have been some sort of acute event.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #8372 on: September 23, 2018, 02:47:18 PM »

You can do a lot of damage if you puke violently and often which is what I understand happened.

I know when I get a (real, not a "bad headache") migraine and barf/wretch/heave/spew/etc every 30 minutes I burst blood vessels in my face and it looks like I all-of-a-sudden have freckles or measles.

As others have said, it happened suddenly and wasn't a long-term vocal deterioration, so there must have been some sort of acute event.

I know, and I'm familiar with the vocal apparatus and its reactions. I'm considering this, and I'm leaning towards viewing the poisoning as a violent catalyst for a situation already on its way to serious damage. I'm still firm in my opinion that James' 92-94 way of singing was ultimately unsustainable, the actual point I wanted to make.

I'm also noticing the particular interest about this specific opinion out of 15 and I'm afraid I might have expressed it in a blunt equivocable way. I am not suggesting any form of lie or foul play. Those who hang out in my Scenes thread know the immense admiration and respect I have for James LaBrie, as well as my genuine concern about the ways and times I felt he was jeopardising his instrument.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8373 on: September 23, 2018, 02:59:31 PM »
I think there's a major difference between "There was never a food poisoning incident" and "there was a food poisoning incident, but it only sped up his vocal decline, and didn't cause it".

One is probably not true. One is probably true.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #8374 on: September 23, 2018, 03:01:35 PM »
And I think you're right.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #8375 on: September 23, 2018, 11:48:33 PM »
. Had Kevin Moore not left the band, SDV would have never made anybody's top or bottom list.

Finally someone said it! SDV is as overrated as it can be. They should've included TLF instead.

SDV works because it is such a contrast to the rest of the album, and to DT's whole discography. Out of that context, however, the song is unremarkable.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8376 on: September 24, 2018, 11:03:40 AM »
. The triggered snare on I&W is perfectly fine and nobody worried for a loooong time.

Well, maybe.  But I think that most people didn't worry because most of their built-in fanbase had spent the last decade or so listening to '80s music, which had all kinds of strange production issues and experiments.  It isn't an ideal sound and never was.  But, yeah, most probably didn't fixate on it too much at the time.

I'm not so sure about this either.  Yeah, it may have polarized a lot of people after the fact, as headline events of this sort often do.  But there are plenty that absolutely loved or hated it right off the bat independently of any of that.  The fact that it is so "different" for DT lends itself to that.  I know for me, when I picked up the album, I had no idea of any of the drama.  And yet, the song instantly became bottom of the list for me.  Through the years, I have seen enough similar comments from both sides that I know there plenty whose opinions weren't formed or drastically altered by the Moore departure drama.

Not going to beat this into the ground because I think it has been addressed.  Debating its impact is probably fair enough.  Saying there "was never" any such incident seems a little silly.

. DT was totally behind FII's change of musical direction, new looks and all. It is retro-actively narrated and widely considered as terrible troubled times only because the attempt at commercial success failed.

That's an interesting take, but isn't really accurate.  But I think there is a grain of truth that often gets overlooked.  I can't speak to the "looks" aspect.  But as far as the album itself, I think most band-members not named Portnoy are and always were fairly okay with the direction the songs themselves took.  But with varying degrees, I don't think they were happy with the extent of the outside interference.  Some, like JP, eventually embraced it and tried to work hard within the parameters given.  Mike bit his lip and went along grudgingly.  But I think they were ultimately relatively happy with the final product in terms of the songs, as evidenced by the fact that the album has usually been fairly well represented on tours and most of the songs are pretty well regarded by the band members. 

. The Home-TDOE sequence is keeping SFAM from being their best album. Dump HOME's boring sin noises section and a couple of reduntant choruses, fill the hole with TDOE's most interesting four minutes, make a single song of it and call it Metropolis pt2.

Okay, mixed reaction to this one.  As to the bolded:  No.  The awesomeness of Six Degrees, from start to finish, is what is keeping SFAM from being their best album.  Otherwise, SFAM is glorious and is a close second for me.  That isn't to say it is without flaws.  It isn't.  But the whole is definitely greater than the sum of the parts for me, so any missteps or shortcomings are easily forgivable and can be overlooked.  That said, I agree with you about Home.  It was a top 5 DT song for me for the longest time.  And while I still love it, it has fallen because of that section.  The instrumental section just overstays its welcome a bit, and the sound effects you refer to are so unnecessary as to be a distraction that takes away more than they add. 

TDOE is something different altogether.  After so long, I don't find it to have much relistenability.  That said, it is a great musical interlude for reasons that others have said, and it not only plays a role in the album itself, but is a fun showcase of prog instrumental insanity.

. The 12 steps suite should have stayed a Glass Prison business. The following entries I could live without and I believe have compromised the following 4 albums.

I get it.  And I disagree.  It did become somewhat of an albatross.  But it produced some really terrific music as well.  And it was so much fun for a few album cycles having fans speculate about the next entry.  My take on the follow-up entries:
-TDS:  The instrumental insanity at the end unfortunately overstayed its welcome and took the song too far off track.  If the song clocked in around 9 minutes or so, it would be one of their best.  The last 2 1/2 minutes were unnecessary and, unfortunately, detracted from what could have been a top DT song.
-TROAE:  Pretty much flawless.  It is pretty "concise," at least for DT, and that is one of its advantages.
-Repentence:  Fantastic idea for a song.  Fantastic execution.  But...it is not something I ever really want to listen to.  From a purely artistic perspective, the second half of the song is nothing less than brilliant.  But it isn't something I enjoy listening to at all after the first few times.
-TSF:  Great closer.  Could have been amazing, but just missed the mark.  Some of the callbacks and reprises are incredibly clever and well done.  Others feel VERY on the nose, like the TROAE bridge reprise.  The reprises are a great idea and were totally necessary, but the sheer number of them and ratio to original content ultimately detracted from the song. 

. Octavarium should have been an EP taylored on the ACOS model. One side live show with the best of the Metallica/Deep Purple/Iron Maiden/Pink Floyd homages, one side with the amazing Octavarium studio song.

Blasphemy.  Despite having a couple of really weak tracks, the album as a whole is really cool and a fantastic concept.  I would sorely miss at least 4 of those track if I could somehow simultaneously live in both parallel universes where the album was and was not done in its entirety.

. SC is 100% better ten years after its release.

Well, I liked it from the get-go, so...  But I get the sentiment and somewhat agree with it.  It is a very good album, and one that I regularly revisit to this day (albeit with some of the "chaff" removed).  I have said before and will say again that I find it VERY similar to I&W in terms of being VERY inconsistent and simultaneously having some of DT's best material mixed in with some of their worst.  But overall, really good album that I enjoy immensely.

. BC&SL told me DT were finished. It's not an album. it's two generic singles, a suite ending obligation, and three among their most beautiful musical ideas turned into three bloated and rushed songs. It felt they had to come out with something and they had to fill a template, no matter esthetic identity and cooking time.

I'm kind of on board with the general sentiment.  But I would not state it nearly so strongly because I really like a lot of that album.  It has slipped to being close to the bottom of the pile, but still:  90% or so of ANTR, TSF, and TCOT are fantastic (interesting that the three songs I love most on this album all feel like about 80-90% good material, with parts that I really wish were just not there).  And AROP is a perfectly fine, although somewhat "DT-by-numbers" (I hate this phrase with a passion, but I find this to be one of the rare instances of it being perfectly fitting) single.  It'll never make my tops list, but is a fine listen in the context of the album.  But again, I don't disagree with the general sentiment of this post at all.

. The split saved the band.

Quite possibly.  But I think you may have overstated it a tad. Had they not split, I think we would have still gotten some really great music through the years.  And who knows how it ultimately would have turned out?  But I don't think the general feeling most of us have that it would not have been nearly as good is wrong. 

. Mike Mangini's unforgivable sin for a great chunk of DT fans is not being a "look at me" drummer and not being the loudest in the mix.

You know, I never really had much of a problem with anything he has done.  Yeah, there are times when I catch myself missing Portnoy's drumming.  I just do.  And he had really learned how to record drums well and make sure they were VERY forward in the mix.  I miss that at times too.  But I have never felt like anything related to Mangini, whether it be things inside or outside his control, were in any way inferior.

. TA is the only DT album since I&W I wouldn't change a thing on.

I can't speak for you, but there are definitely things I would change.  Those mainly related to Act 2 and/or the balance of the story.  I think that if any album would have benefited from outside collaboration, this is it.  And that simply from the standpoint of finding someone who would not have interfered with the overall creative visions, but with sufficient stage pedigree to mold it into something where Act 2 felt a bit more substantial.  And someone who would have pointed out that, despite the vast majority of Act 1 being so well done and so critical to the story, the story would have benefitted from a bit more of making us feel like the war itself was much more real and the threat of the NOMACs was much more menacing.  And someone who would have unabashedly told John and Jordan that that stock crying track was so laughably bad that it should be deleted and subjected to a bon fire.  All that said, I love the album.  I really do.  Just an incredible musical and creative accomplishment. 

. Next album is going to reconcile the fandom's two polarized factions.

Well...let's just say that that prediction is made almost every album release cycle.  :lol

Bad shellfish can't melt steel vocal chords  :lol

???  I wasn't aware that pork was a shellfish.  A great number of gentiles are understandably confused. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:39:01 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #8377 on: September 24, 2018, 12:04:25 PM »
First off, thanks TAC and Bosk for taking the time to address my whole list, I appreciate that. I notice both your responses about Home/TDOE tend to agree with me about the former's redundant parts while defending the latter's incredible display of prog musicianship. This makes me want to delve deeper into my original point.

I'm in awe of TDOE's technical complexity and it really stands out as a declaration of prog omnipotence. I just can't see what narrative function does it perform inside the concept structure. Assuming, as stated in Mpt1, that "Love is the dance of eternity", is the track depicting love? Which kind of love? Who's making love? We already heard "love" made inside Home. Is it representing Victoria's inner turmoil about chosing the right brother? The song is magnificent, but its ambiguity and positioning makes me zone out of the story and see it like a mere display of artistry.

Now, inserting it (even in its entirety) in place of the noises' segment could accomplish the following:

. Leaving the display of prog awesomeness untouched
. Trimming Home's fat but giving it a kickass instrumental section transforming it into the original Metropolis' twin.
. Giving the song an interludio between the brothers' and Victoria's sung parts: a coherent, connected section successfully conveying turmoil, choice, and even an act of sex. Its wordless nature will keep it somewhat ambigous, but we'll know "where" that's happening and ambiguity will become an asset improving the mystery.
. Giving the album a true central node where a transformative choice informs the following events.

I just wanna add I'm thankful to the posters debating the accident opinion. They not only helped me consider the whole thing more seriously and less superficially, but they also made me realise I needed to word my controversial thoughts more carefully and without - albeit unintentional - potentially offensive overtones.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8378 on: September 24, 2018, 12:09:51 PM »

Finally someone said it! SDV is as overrated as it can be. They should've included TLF instead.

Is SDV overrated?  Yes, I think it is.  But that doesn't mean it's a bad song.  It's not a great song, but I think it's a pretty good song, and I like it better than at least three other songs on Awake (IF, Lie and The Mirror).  I also like it a lot better than TLF, which has always sounded to me like an unfinished song.

As far as some of Indiscipline's other points:

I&W:  I recently made the point elsewhere (or earlier in this thread) that no one would have cared or known about the triggered snare had Portnoy not bitched about it so vocally and publicly after the fact.

SFAM:  Home and TDoE is in the running for the best ~20 minutes in DT's catalog.  While I have no problem with the interlude, neither would I be bothered if it were shortened.

12SS:  I didn't like TGP at first but grew to like it.  TDS is largely unmemorable.  TRoAE is a little better than TDS but still isn't great.  Repentance is pretty bad and is a prime reason why SC is the worst album int he catalog.  TSF is fine, but it's too derivative to stand on its own merits.

8VA:  If you forced to shorten the album to a 1980s-length album and gave me only 8VA, TALW, Panic Attack and Sacrificed Sons, I would be perfectly happy.

SC:  I still love Constant Motion.  Forsaken is fine.  TDEN has grown on me as a result of having been played live a lot.  Otherwise, the album is no better than it ever was, which is not good.

BC&SL/split:  A slight improvement over SC.  Wither and TCoT are great, and see above re TSF.  I think, however, that it's reasonable to say that something had to give, and Portnoy leaving was probably better for the band than any other possibility.

Mangini:  I've never really understood the criticism.  Nor do I feel worse for the experience for not having whatever it is that Portnoy supposedly brought to live shows that Mangini doesn't bring.  One thing I do dislike about Mangini is that he does drum solos, which I can't remember Portnoy having done at any time in the 2000s.  I am NOT a fan of drum solos.  I'd also be happy to get rid of Jordan's keytar segment.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #8379 on: September 24, 2018, 01:32:59 PM »
I'm in awe of TDOE's technical complexity and it really stands out as a declaration of prog omnipotence. I just can't see what narrative function does it perform inside the concept structure. Assuming, as stated in Mpt1, that "Love is the dance of eternity", is the track depicting love? Which kind of love? Who's making love? We already heard "love" made inside Home. Is it representing Victoria's inner turmoil about chosing the right brother? The song is magnificent, but its ambiguity and positioning makes me zone out of the story and see it like a mere display of artistry.

Now, inserting it (even in its entirety) in place of the noises' segment could accomplish the following:

. Leaving the display of prog awesomeness untouched
. Trimming Home's fat but giving it a kickass instrumental section transforming it into the original Metropolis' twin.
. Giving the song an interludio between the brothers' and Victoria's sung parts: a coherent, connected section successfully conveying turmoil, choice, and even an act of sex. Its wordless nature will keep it somewhat ambigous, but we'll know "where" that's happening and ambiguity will become an asset improving the mystery.
. Giving the album a true central node where a transformative choice informs the following events.

Wow, that's an interesting idea.. Never thought of it... something like Metropolis pt 1 (or Outcry, or the original Burning My Soul) but with a purpose that actually serves SFAM's story rather than a track that, I agree, it is confusing regarding its meaning... sounds fine..

However, I mentally tried to make it work and I just failed.. The beginning of TDoE sounds so much like the proper beggining of an instrumental, and works so perfectly for this instrumental in particular, that I don't see it flowing well after any section to half of Home at all.. Maybe they could've leave out the start? ok, but then the whole main chord progression and its following sections would sound very off too..

Having said that, I think it's pretty obvious that if they would've gone in that direction the instrumental as we know it would've been very different, especially the beggining of it... but, in that case, I don't know if I would've ever wanted that.. I mean, yeah, is worth mentioning that TDoE is my favorite DT track!.. ;D
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8380 on: September 24, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »
I get the idea.  And it isn't a bad one in principle.  But to me, the problem is that Home is just a bit too bloated anyway.  If it is going to be changed, I would change it by just trimming it down a bit.  The album does well having an instrumental break as a transition.  And to me, TDOE does that well.  It doesn't really have a narrative purpose.  It's purpose seems to be to (1) provide the aforementioned instrumental break, and (2) to provide the most concrete musical callbacks to pt. 1.  And because pt. 1 was pretty abstract lyrically and does not directly have anything to do with the story in on SFAM, musical rather than lyrical callbacks were the way to go.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:03:01 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #8381 on: September 24, 2018, 01:59:09 PM »
Yeah, all of that too.. ^^^^

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8382 on: September 24, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »
TDOE is perfect as it is :metal

Home, on the other hand... yeah, shortening it, specially the middle section, would've been the right call. I don't dislike the final product, but it's not one of my favorite DT songs, mainly for the things discussed here.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #8383 on: September 24, 2018, 02:25:43 PM »
There's always the radio edit anyways... Though it doesn't have those great solos and that sick riff underneath them..

Offline PetFish

« Reply #8384 on: September 24, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »
 :metal
There's always the radio edit anyways... Though it doesn't have those great solos and that sick riff underneath them..

I love the radio edit and it's the one I always play first to anyone wanting to hear something from DT.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #8385 on: September 24, 2018, 03:23:20 PM »
Did someone say edit?  :yarr

Give me like half an hour
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #8386 on: September 24, 2018, 04:07:34 PM »
Ok I did it but now I'm too uncondifent to post it, sorry  :\

it's 5:10 though

edit: actually fuck it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWrQ9OYHZ30
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:30:17 PM by IDontNotDoThings »

Offline PetFish

« Reply #8387 on: September 24, 2018, 11:27:02 PM »
It's way different from the actual radio edit, which is 5:40, but you made some interesting choices.  Good work.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #8388 on: September 26, 2018, 06:23:07 PM »
The intro of Octavarium (the song) is one of its best parts...

(along with?... along with JR's solo at the beginning of FC and JP's final solo, and only beaten by SLH's verses and the whole Full Circle section, which is btw the best section of the s... wait a minute)

I have another one: Full Circle is the best section of Octavarium... the song AND the album..

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #8389 on: September 26, 2018, 06:46:46 PM »
I have another one: Full Circle is the best section of Octavarium... the song AND the album..

I agree with that one, actually.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #8390 on: September 26, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »

That's great :tup..

But I know it is controversial here at least.. Read so many comments from implying is the worst section of the song to even mocking it for its lyrics, which I find to be ingenious at least and, musically speaking (the lyrics I mean), more than clever actually..

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #8391 on: September 26, 2018, 10:07:23 PM »

But I know it is controversial here at least.. Read so many comments from implying is the worst section of the song to even mocking it for its lyrics, which I find to be ingenious at least and, musically speaking (the lyrics I mean), more than clever actually..

gabba gabba

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8392 on: September 27, 2018, 01:00:00 AM »

Putting together all those references in a coherent way was a work of genius, come on. Something innovative and, I daresay, never done before.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8393 on: September 27, 2018, 08:38:48 AM »
Not a controversial opinion, but didn’t know where to post this: Just listened to SDOIT in full again and have to say Jordan is definitely the MVP for the album :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #8394 on: September 27, 2018, 09:03:26 AM »
As is James for The Astonishing (ok that might not be a controversial opinion)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8395 on: September 27, 2018, 10:41:34 AM »
The intro of Octavarium (the song) is a good time for a bathroom break...

ftfy

Is that really controversial?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #8396 on: September 27, 2018, 10:48:33 AM »
As is James for The Astonishing (ok that might not be a controversial opinion)

James did a good deal better with The Astonishing than he did with SFAM in terms of getting into character for a concept album and really selling the story.  James was a passenger on SFAM.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #8397 on: September 27, 2018, 11:17:55 AM »
I think Space Dye Vest is awesome regardless of it being Kevin's swan song. It's DT's big, somber, majestic piano ballad. What's another piano ballad from DT that comes close? Anna Lee? nah, nice song but not in the same league as SDV. Vacant? too short. Far from Heaven? too late in their carrer to become a classic. Space Dye Vest is the ultimate piano ballad from DT.

Have you listened to Wait For Sleep??

Full Circle is incredible, but there's something about Someone Like Him that hits me in all the right places. The twelve string, the melodies that return later in the ending solo, James's performance...
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #8398 on: September 27, 2018, 01:31:32 PM »

Is that really controversial?

Judge for yourself:

gabba gabba

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8399 on: September 27, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »

Every single one of those songs is better than SDV by a HUGE margin.  And Wait For Sleep is better than them all.