Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 989806 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #8155 on: April 03, 2018, 02:14:22 PM »
Images and words is my #11 DT album, only beating WDADU and The Astonishing.  I really don't like that 80's style synth mood that the album has on it.  The album just sounds like a lot of synth without the moody atmosphere of later albums.  Awake is so amazing because it's so dark and atmospheric.  IAW just sounds like 80's synth, not to mention every instrument sounds light, nothing sounds heavy or dark in any way.  I like when DT goes dark.  Voices alone kicks the crap out of anything on IAW.

Also Metropolis is the most overrated rock/metal song of all time.  Not just DT...in all of rock and metal.  I don't hate the song, but I really don't like it.  It has some good ideas, but the transitions are not fluid at all and the song as a whole just doesn't work.  Watch Lost in Vegas's reaction to it..I agree with them 100%.  I don't know how Metropolis Pt 1 became so poular among DT fans.  The song has a good intro, then just meaders its way to the finish line, doing whatever it wants without any flow.  Good bass solo though.

Interestingly, you say you don't like I&W because its 80's happy synth and light instrument sound. Yet, go on to say you like when DT goes dark. Then says Metropolis pt.1 is an overrated song...

I'm confused.

Metropolis isn't particuarly dark and it has those badly-dated dorky Kevin Moore sounds that are found throughout the album.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #8156 on: April 03, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »
Don't know if it's controversial or not but I personally don't like one of DT's biggest influence, Rush.

I prefer Genesis and King Crimson anytime soon.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8157 on: April 04, 2018, 10:48:51 AM »
No cotroversy, people either like Rush or they don't.  I absolutely love Rush, probably my favorite band of all time! 
 I have a few friends that don't like Rush,  so I quit hanging out with them.....just kidding!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8158 on: April 08, 2018, 11:45:02 AM »
Since MM has been the topic of choice lately, this was suggested the other day on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/pG8ddJ9yO6w
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8159 on: April 08, 2018, 11:50:45 AM »
Since MM has been the topic of choice lately, this was suggested the other day on YouTube:

Yea, I remember seeing that. It gets really weird after a bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8160 on: April 08, 2018, 12:00:50 PM »
Yeah. During the first 10 seconds I really agree with him, but then his argument starts drifting.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8161 on: April 08, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »
Also, did you guys see that MrDreamtheater2, probably the most awesome DT-related channel ever, rage-quit and deleted everything?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8162 on: April 08, 2018, 01:31:15 PM »

That video should be called “Why I have a very strong opinion and my totally biased, cherrypicked video will show that.”
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

« Reply #8163 on: April 08, 2018, 01:40:15 PM »

That video should be called “Why I have a very strong opinion and my totally biased, cherrypicked video will show that.”

Given the titles of some of his other videos, that wouldn't be too shocking.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #8164 on: April 08, 2018, 03:26:15 PM »
I don't know if it's right place to bring that matter to the forum but there is a youtube channel that includes videos just to bash James LaBrie in every negative way possible. It's like his/her life depends on it. Kind of funny I guess.

PS: I didn't search for the channel, it was displayed on my youtube home page. And I clicked...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfedtmUsTuqLBU7UEDGppLw/videos

Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #8165 on: April 08, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »
I don't know if it's right place to bring that matter to the forum but there is a youtube channel that includes videos just to bash James LaBrie in every negative way possible. It's like his/her life depends on it. Kind of funny I guess.

PS: I didn't search for the channel, it was displayed on my youtube home page. And I clicked...

I'm at work so I can't click on that link now...but I think I know the channel you're talking about. They've been coming up in my recommended video section lately. There's a video on there that's supposedly taken by a fan during the Score performance and LaBrie sounds...very different from the official recording to put it kindly. I don't know if the guy running that channel messed with the audio in some way or if the recording is legit  ???

Online Adami

« Reply #8166 on: April 08, 2018, 04:02:57 PM »
I think Portnoy even admitted that parts of JLBs performance were redone for the DVD. I think he said it was "95%" authentic.

I'm listening to the video now. I can hear minor parts that have been touched up, but not a ton.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #8167 on: April 08, 2018, 04:09:43 PM »
I think Portnoy even admitted that parts of JLBs performance were redone for the DVD. I think he said it was "95%" authentic.

I'm listening to the video now. I can hear minor parts that have been touched up, but not a ton.

Hmm....that video could've contained the 5% part. Was auto-tune used? It doesn't seem like the vocals were re-recorded but I'm not good at noticing things like that. 

I've looked at a couple older threads and the general consensus (at least on this site) is that LaBrie sounded pretty great throughout that tour.

Online Adami

« Reply #8168 on: April 08, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »
Anything could have been used. Retuning his vocals. Re-dubbing his vocals. They're quite good as seamlessly blending in re-dubs, as evidence by JP at the beginning of Under a Glass Moon.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8169 on: April 08, 2018, 05:29:09 PM »
BTFW has a lot of dubbing as well, including even some of JM's and JP's parts. Remember when they released the promotional teaser that had a close-up of one of JP's solos, and the audio didn't match what he was playing in one section? They quickly took it down, and the actual DVD no longer shows the close-up.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #8170 on: April 09, 2018, 03:02:13 AM »

I'm at work so I can't click on that link now...but I think I know the channel you're talking about. They've been coming up in my recommended video section lately. There's a video on there that's supposedly taken by a fan during the Score performance and LaBrie sounds...very different from the official recording to put it kindly. I don't know if the guy running that channel messed with the audio in some way or if the recording is legit  ???

I guess you are talking about Score/Innocence Faded vocals which seems to me fake and added something by the OP.

Why? Because it goes like Score DVD but when James goes for "Condescending, not intending to end" part his voice cracked so bad. But still, you can hear the crowd cheered and clapped for that note in the video. If he'd failed so bad during this time I'd would be shocked in silence not clapped. I don't think it's the original fan footage. I remember I watched some videoes from that tour, including Innocence Faded and James was pretty fine.

Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8171 on: April 09, 2018, 04:59:55 AM »
I was at Score and I honestly thought he was really on that night, and I've been very critical of JLB.

I've been to live shows where JLB has been really spectacular and ones where he has really bombed,  my take at Score was that he was on his A game.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #8172 on: April 09, 2018, 06:17:52 AM »

Why would someone spend so much time and effort on just bashing a band?  Rhetorical question, of course but it strikes me as a waste of time.  It would be better spent saying good stuff about a band you like.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #8173 on: April 09, 2018, 07:03:49 AM »
I just read the description for this video, & wow, this guy's kind of an asshole

It’s high time for discriminating Dream Theater fans (not the sorts of people who would mindlessly defend what the band does no matter what (nice passive aggression there m8)) to start demanding answers. Answers to questions such as:

• Why, even after cutting Matthew off due to a never-ending stream of psychotic emails, did Rudess reshare Matthew’s video as one of his “favorite things” in 2016? (because he actually liked the video maybe?)

• Why was James LaBrie so offended by a silly video that was made for purposes of parody and humor, and does he feel any remorse over calling Dream Theater’s hardest working fan from 2015-2017 (yeah, & I'm sure it's DT that have the massive egos here) a miserable loser that lives in their parent’s basement?"

• Why did Dream Theater recently sign a long-term record contract with LaBrie despite his voice being in shambles?

• Why, especially given the high technical demands of Dream Theater’s music, have they not fired LaBrie, or why has LaBrie himself not voluntarily stepped down, since he is clearly no longer anything more than an embarrassing liability to the other four members of the group? (yeah, I really wonder why JLB doesn't have the highest opinion of you)

• Why did Dream Theater continue touring at a breakneck pace even after John Petrucci’s admission that LaBrie’s voice was in shambles?

• Why does the band continue to market and hype The Astonishing as if it’s the best thing since sliced bread, when per Rate Your Music, half of the people who heard the album hated it? ("oh noes, some ppl online didn't like our album, guess it's time to cease all promotion & get rid of our main sources of income, it's not like we gotta eat or anything")

• What the hell happened to Mike Mangini on the last two albums? Was this a result of using drum samples, therefore repeating the mistake of David Prater’s Images and Words kit, or a result of Mangini having an autistic fetish with getting consistent note hits? It all sounds so flat and fake. (this one speaks for itself)

(italic brackets are my interjections, in case that wasn't clear)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8174 on: April 09, 2018, 07:07:29 AM »
LOL.

That dude registered here making the same thread full of lawyer-like DEMANDS trying to convince everyone that Dream Theater should have not used the video of a dude that for whatever reason had a beef with him. The thread was rightfully nuked soon after. You almost feel for the dude, it's totally unhealthy to become obsessed to this point with a band.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:35:57 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #8175 on: April 09, 2018, 07:16:18 AM »
Basically, he acted like an asshat and JLB called him a hater who probably lives in his mother's basement. He responds by.... deleting bis channel and creating 20 something videos bashing James with edited audio. He hasn't proven anything other than that James was probably right in his assessment.  :facepalm:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #8176 on: April 09, 2018, 07:16:54 AM »
Controversial opinion: I revisited Scarred and Voices this weekend thanks to the Awake ranking thread, and... yeah. Very poor songs with very annoying vocals.

Also that whiny YouTube guy is an anus.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evai

« Reply #8177 on: April 09, 2018, 08:50:25 AM »
Controversial opinion: I revisited Scarred and Voices this weekend thanks to the Awake ranking thread, and... yeah. Very poor songs with very annoying vocals.

I agree with 2 of the things in your post  :biggrin:
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #8178 on: April 09, 2018, 01:22:50 PM »

I agree with 2 of the things in your post  :biggrin:

I waited until I saw your ranking - and I'm amused at how far apart those 2 songs are  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #8179 on: April 09, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »
LOL.

That dude registered here making the same thread full of lawyer-like DEMANDS trying to convince everyone that Dream Theater should have not used the video of a dude that for whatever reason had a beef with him. The thread was rightfully nuked soon after. You almost feel for the dude, it's totally unhealthy to become obsessed to this point with a band.

Do you remember the name of the thread or the name of the poster?

Online Adami

« Reply #8180 on: April 09, 2018, 02:04:51 PM »
Forgot the poster name but I’m pretty sure the thread was deleted.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #8181 on: April 09, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »

I see. What exactly is the story behind that poster? It would be good to know so I can take that into account when watching his other videos.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8182 on: April 09, 2018, 02:30:44 PM »

Why would someone spend so much time and effort on just bashing a band?  Rhetorical question, of course but it strikes me as a waste of time.  It would be better spent saying good stuff about a band you like.

Wow, that's like a dedicated DT bashing youtube page.  Whatever, free speech I guess.  But the guy's got some views so the fact people keep watching is enough reason to keep going I imagine.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #8183 on: April 09, 2018, 02:35:42 PM »
I agree with a lot of complaints he has about DT, but I can't understand why he dedicates practically his entire time to something he doesn't like and doesn't move on. I mean.. he doesn't like this and that and he bitches about it over and over and he knows it is not going to change a thing. It's like he's stuck in the past and can't accept what the band has been doing.

Online Adami

« Reply #8184 on: April 09, 2018, 03:50:28 PM »

I see. What exactly is the story behind that poster? It would be good to know so I can take that into account when watching his other videos.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shit-balls%20crazy
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline perfecthundred

« Reply #8185 on: April 12, 2018, 05:23:29 PM »
I don't understand how someone who openly is not a fan of The Astonishing based his youtube channel name after the album.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #8186 on: April 14, 2018, 09:04:51 PM »
i actually enjoyed some of the hitler astonishing reaction video that dude has on his channel

"I fantasize about dream theater fronted by Russel Allen" :rollin
deep cut

Offline Evai

« Reply #8187 on: April 16, 2018, 05:06:48 AM »
If Dark Side Of The Moon can have 4 minutes of some bullshit 3 second keyboard loop and be regarded as great, ain't nobody should complain about no Nomac tracks
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #8188 on: April 16, 2018, 05:38:52 AM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8189 on: April 16, 2018, 06:18:08 AM »
Was anyone complaining about the nomac tracks?