Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991873 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #7840 on: May 09, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »
Lots of respected bands do it. As long as it isn't too obivious I'm fine with autotunning.

Exactly. Auto tuning or using melodyne or something similar is beyond common. I would argue that the example we're talking about is an example of a bad artifact, which I've been guilty of myself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evai

« Reply #7841 on: May 09, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »
In the gift of music Labrie says people just don't have the TTIEIEIEUUME for music. WTF? How did petrucci not catch that? That ruined the album for me IMHO

That was discussed here before the album was released I believe. Bosk can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he asked JP about that and John said there actually wasn't a pitch correction effect on that line.

Also - one word ruined a whole double album for you?

While this could be correct, I would be hesitant to believe JP in such matters, as he said he didn't hear anything wrong with the 'take the evening to deci-ide' line after being told about it.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7842 on: May 09, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
I was bent on buying the album on release day and hearing NOTHING at all beforehand, so when The Gift of Music was released I remember reading all these comments and I was preparing myself for a very cringeworthy moment... and then I heard that infamous "time", even knowing what to expect, and it felt absolutely ok to me.

So either you're all overreacting or I'm deaf for these kind of nuances, and really, I'm fine either way  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7843 on: May 09, 2017, 11:49:41 AM »
As a sound engineer who has worked a whole lot with vocal tuning, I am going to disagree with them. I doubt they're lying, but I would be open to the possibility that they are merely incorrect. It happens. No big deal.

While this could be correct, I would be hesitant to believe JP in such matters, as he said he didn't hear anything wrong with the 'take the evening to deci-ide' line after being told about it.

I think a couple people had the same reactions back when this was being discussed before and it still confuses me. You got an answer straight from the source, why wouldn't you believe him?

And for the record the only effect I have ever heard on that line is reverb, delay, and some sort of chorus, which could easily be what people are hearing, IMO.

Online Adami

« Reply #7844 on: May 09, 2017, 11:52:09 AM »
Because people can be wrong. I trust my ears quite a bit. I hear an artifact. It's very possible that the engineer did that without JPs knowledge.

It's VERY possible. The engineers are doing a lot of work without the band/producer looking over their shoulder.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7845 on: May 09, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »
Because people can be wrong. I trust my ears quite a bit. I hear an artifact. It's very possible that the engineer did that without JPs knowledge.

It's VERY possible. The engineers are doing a lot of work without the band/producer looking over their shoulder.

For sure, and I get that you would trust your ears over pretty much anyone else saying something different, cause, what do they know? But when the producer of the record says it, I guess for me it carries more weight.

Really no big deal either way, I was just commenting. ;)

Offline Evai

« Reply #7846 on: May 09, 2017, 12:04:02 PM »
Yeah I never heard anything wrong with the 'time for music' line either, at least not anything out of the ordinary from the rest of the album. I just wouldn't base my opinion on what JP said (Falling Into Infinity was released exactly how we envisioned!)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7847 on: May 09, 2017, 12:09:01 PM »

Exactly. JP obviously isn't lying, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's right either. Unless he were the one mixing/engineering the album, he wouldn't know a lot of these details, because that's not his role. And that's fine.

To comment on the actual part in question, I don't hear any obvious problem in this case. Sounds fine to me, and I'm usually the first to bitch about this stuff. :lol
Off the top of my head, the only pitch correction on the album that's blatant to me is A New Beginning. Sounds like a computer.
"...... as some kind of threat, but i know we were meant to be...."
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Evai

« Reply #7848 on: May 09, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »
In any case, it's stylistically appropriate. Frozen had a decent amount of that pitch correction sound :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7849 on: May 09, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
Lots of respected bands do it. As long as it isn't too obivious I'm fine with autotunning.

Exactly. Auto tuning or using melodyne or something similar is beyond common. I would argue that the example we're talking about is an example of a bad artifact, which I've been guilty of myself.

It could even be a bad crossfade between takes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7850 on: May 09, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »
Can somebody point out exactly the spot where this artifact is supposed to happen? I have heard the line many times, and frankly I just hear James' stylistic choice in singing the line.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7851 on: May 09, 2017, 03:32:52 PM »
The word "time" sounds like it kinda slows down.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #7852 on: May 09, 2017, 04:16:08 PM »
In the gift of music Labrie says people just don't have the TTIEIEIEUUME for music. WTF? How did petrucci not catch that? That ruined the album for me IMHO

That's not even autotune. I could do that with just my voice & I can't even sing.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7853 on: May 09, 2017, 06:29:24 PM »
Okay, I'm looking over the lyrics to BOI, and... I think if it was 90's James, singing it at such a high pitch that it sounds awesome, it would work for me. But James sings lower now, and lower, less intense singing brings more attention to the lyrics, and storytelling aspects of it. Because it's more like speech. 'New realities, singularities, breaking all illusions' as a verse just sounds insincere (not gonna use the word 'pretentious'... ) Who talks like that? This is also why The Astonishing works so well.

It's not pretentious. It's called poetry.

I wish, it's random words put together that rhyme with no understanding of theme or meter, while also taking itself very, very seriously. 'Let me introduce, my brother!' is a much better choice of direction, lyrically.

The words are not random. It's about how in a time of trouble (there's a test of faith), introspection and deep reflection (streams of thought awaken) can lead to moments of enlightenment (singularities) that open your mind to new possibilities (new realities) that transcend your habituated way of looking at the problem (breaking all illusions).

I think you nailed it with the explanation, but I find it funny that the words you used sound a lot like STR:
"In moments of pain
Where heart and mind collide
Self reflection helps me decide"

Or maybe this is a common theme on JM lyrics?  :o

It is. Like this line in Trial of Tears.

"I may have wasted all those years
 They're not worth their time in tears
 I may have spent too long in darkness
 In the warmth of my fears
 And as I walk through all my myths
 Rising and sinking like the waves
 With my thoughts wrapped around me
 Through a trial of tears"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7854 on: May 09, 2017, 08:07:30 PM »
Okay, I'm looking over the lyrics to BOI, and... I think if it was 90's James, singing it at such a high pitch that it sounds awesome, it would work for me. But James sings lower now, and lower, less intense singing brings more attention to the lyrics, and storytelling aspects of it. Because it's more like speech. 'New realities, singularities, breaking all illusions' as a verse just sounds insincere (not gonna use the word 'pretentious'... ) Who talks like that? This is also why The Astonishing works so well.

It's not pretentious. It's called poetry.

I wish, it's random words put together that rhyme with no understanding of theme or meter, while also taking itself very, very seriously. 'Let me introduce, my brother!' is a much better choice of direction, lyrically.

The words are not random. It's about how in a time of trouble (there's a test of faith), introspection and deep reflection (streams of thought awaken) can lead to moments of enlightenment (singularities) that open your mind to new possibilities (new realities) that transcend your habituated way of looking at the problem (breaking all illusions).

I think you nailed it with the explanation, but I find it funny that the words you used sound a lot like STR:
"In moments of pain
Where heart and mind collide
Self reflection helps me decide"

Or maybe this is a common theme on JM lyrics?  :o

It is. Like this line in Trial of Tears.

"I may have wasted all those years
 They're not worth their time in tears
 I may have spent too long in darkness
 In the warmth of my fears
 And as I walk through all my myths
 Rising and sinking like the waves
 With my thoughts wrapped around me
 Through a trial of tears"

Mindblown  :o
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7855 on: May 09, 2017, 08:47:47 PM »

Wait, the glissando? That's obviously intentional by James.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7856 on: May 09, 2017, 08:57:49 PM »
We've heard James live so we know studio vocals are autotuned. And who cares?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #7857 on: May 09, 2017, 09:07:42 PM »
We've heard James live so we know studio vocals are autotuned. And who cares?

Excellent point. Who cares?

Aside from that one dude who can't wait to turn 21, no one (to my knowledge) is saying that the autotune thing is a negative or an insult or anything like that. It's just an observation. I'm not sure why some people are being so defensive about it. Because, as our wise King points out.....who cares?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7858 on: May 09, 2017, 09:19:41 PM »
I don't mind it at all on official albums. Do whatever it takes to get the result you want. I do however find it lamentable, for any band, when it's used for live albums.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7859 on: May 09, 2017, 10:37:46 PM »
I don't mind it at all on official albums. Do whatever it takes to get the result you want. I do however find it lamentable, for any band, when it's used for live albums.

I have no problem with it for live albums either, as long as it's applied to the original live vocal, and not too overdone. When a singer only gets one take under live conditions, it's not all going to be perfect, so I don't mind them using autotune to smooth it out a bit. It still represents what they sound like live, but without the pressure of one individual performance defining how they sounded on an entire tour.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PB1

« Reply #7860 on: May 09, 2017, 11:27:01 PM »
Is it just me or does Labrie sound mediocre live now. Seems like he's losing control of his voice. Maybe he should sing an octave lower? Just a thought

Online Adami

« Reply #7861 on: May 09, 2017, 11:30:48 PM »
Is it just me or does Labrie sound mediocre live now. Seems like he's losing control of his voice. Maybe he should sing an octave lower? Just a thought

You're doing great. Don't let anyone tell you differently.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evai

« Reply #7862 on: May 10, 2017, 04:42:14 AM »
(from the day they joined the band)

Labrie: 60% ability lost
JP: 20% ability lost
Myung: 10% ability lost
Mangini: 3% ability gained
Rudess: 5% ability gained

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7863 on: May 10, 2017, 04:54:33 AM »
MP : 100% membership lost
100% respect lost

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7864 on: May 10, 2017, 04:55:51 AM »

Wait, the glissando? That's obviously intentional by James.

Yes but it just sounds odd.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7865 on: May 10, 2017, 06:32:51 AM »

Definitely doing great  :lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7866 on: May 10, 2017, 08:20:30 AM »
Doing my discography listen, MP's vocals are a great touch in constant motion

Offline JaceTestify

• ΦΦ
« Reply #7867 on: May 10, 2017, 08:49:07 AM »
Another Day on I&Ws is a stronger song then Pull Me Under.

Offline PB1

« Reply #7868 on: May 10, 2017, 02:57:49 PM »

im just sayin', he cant seem to find the right note anymore. listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF5BEcahu2Q

dont get me wrong, he sounds great on the cds, but live... not so much IMHO

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #7869 on: May 10, 2017, 03:45:27 PM »

Anything on that album is better than PMU as far as I am concerned.

Offline Evai

« Reply #7870 on: May 10, 2017, 03:50:28 PM »
Woah, what's wrong with PMU? Some really nice structured songwriting combined with actual poetic lyrics, it's kind of a high point for DT

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #7871 on: May 10, 2017, 03:55:50 PM »
I'm not a fan of the chorus vocal hook. Dunno I just find the song kinda boring after the amazing intro and first verse go by.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7872 on: May 10, 2017, 04:16:25 PM »
I'm not a fan of the chorus vocal hook. Dunno I just find the song kinda boring after the amazing intro and first verse go by.

I'm with you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evai

« Reply #7873 on: May 10, 2017, 05:45:59 PM »
People just don't have the time for Pull Me Under anymore :/

And no-one seems to care :(

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7874 on: May 10, 2017, 06:30:54 PM »

Anything on that album is better than PMU as far as I am concerned.

In that album, the only song I like less is Learning to Live.