Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991937 times)

Offline Scottjf8

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #7805 on: May 07, 2017, 06:43:03 PM »
I actually might like ANTR over them all. I love that song. It's also one reason why I'm into DT these days.

Breaking All Illusions is better than any song on BCSL and SC.

Between those two albums, I only like The Count of Tuscany more, and I rate that song much higher than most people on here.

Actually, come to think of it, that would be one of my controversial opinions...

The Count of Tuscany is Dream Theater's second best song.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7806 on: May 07, 2017, 08:17:17 PM »
But... BCASL has actual interesting songs. ADTOE is more background music to put on while you do something else. I suppose it's better for driving, or if you're with friends and want to put something inoffensive on. Whereas with BCASL, the prog-fan might blush when an interesting part comes on and rush to change the CD

What does that even mean?

Does he say curse word? Or if you play the CD backwards are there DT orgy outtakes or something? 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7807 on: May 07, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »
It's like he doesn't even understand prog fans.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7808 on: May 07, 2017, 09:32:08 PM »
Okay, I'm looking over the lyrics to BOI, and... I think if it was 90's James, singing it at such a high pitch that it sounds awesome, it would work for me. But James sings lower now, and lower, less intense singing brings more attention to the lyrics, and storytelling aspects of it. Because it's more like speech. 'New realities, singularities, breaking all illusions' as a verse just sounds insincere (not gonna use the word 'pretentious'... ) Who talks like that? This is also why The Astonishing works so well.

Why is it pretentious? Because they don't write monosyllabic lyrics? I'm not sure what the point is, though it wouldn't surprise if the lack thereof is creating this confusion. You need to unlearn to learn.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7810 on: May 08, 2017, 12:10:35 AM »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7811 on: May 08, 2017, 12:15:39 AM »
Okay, I'm looking over the lyrics to BOI, and... I think if it was 90's James, singing it at such a high pitch that it sounds awesome, it would work for me. But James sings lower now, and lower, less intense singing brings more attention to the lyrics, and storytelling aspects of it. Because it's more like speech. 'New realities, singularities, breaking all illusions' as a verse just sounds insincere (not gonna use the word 'pretentious'... ) Who talks like that? This is also why The Astonishing works so well.

It's not pretentious. It's called poetry.

Offline Evai

« Reply #7812 on: May 08, 2017, 02:54:41 AM »

I wish, it's random words put together that rhyme with no understanding of theme or meter, while also taking itself very, very seriously. 'Let me introduce, my brother!' is a much better choice of direction, lyrically.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7813 on: May 08, 2017, 03:16:17 AM »
If you think poetry is all about conforming to set standards, you've already lost the battle.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7814 on: May 08, 2017, 05:06:12 AM »
Speaking of reverse orgy, the moaning in the bridge of Home is really terrible.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7815 on: May 08, 2017, 05:08:12 AM »

I wish, it's random words put together that rhyme with no understanding of theme or meter, while also taking itself very, very seriously. 'Let me introduce, my brother!' is a much better choice of direction, lyrically.

The words are not random. It's about how in a time of trouble (there's a test of faith), introspection and deep reflection (streams of thought awaken) can lead to moments of enlightenment (singularities) that open your mind to new possibilities (new realities) that transcend your habituated way of looking at the problem (breaking all illusions).

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #7816 on: May 08, 2017, 05:48:42 AM »
If you think poetry is all about conforming to set standards, you've already lost the battle.

My controversial opinion is that you overuse gifs. :neverusethis:
/banter

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7817 on: May 08, 2017, 05:59:28 AM »

Offline Evai

« Reply #7818 on: May 08, 2017, 06:04:28 AM »
Speaking of reverse orgy, the moaning in the bridge of Home is really terrible.

That's one of the times we all blush and rush to change the cd (where's that copy of ADTOE...)  :D
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7819 on: May 08, 2017, 11:00:33 AM »
Regarding the sameness of TDOE, I have to agree a bit.

I actually do like the album a lot, but even though I've listened to the songs a ton, when I'm just going over songs like LNF, BiTS, or even Outcry, they honestly all just kind of blent together to me. I know they aren't the same, but I find myself forgetting which part goes to which song and that they can be pretty interchangeable.

Did you mean ADTOE?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7820 on: May 08, 2017, 11:03:59 AM »
The Dance of Eternity is so repetitive and bland that is makes AC/DC sound progressive.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7821 on: May 08, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »
Regarding the sameness of TDOE, I have to agree a bit.

I actually do like the album a lot, but even though I've listened to the songs a ton, when I'm just going over songs like LNF, BiTS, or even Outcry, they honestly all just kind of blent together to me. I know they aren't the same, but I find myself forgetting which part goes to which song and that they can be pretty interchangeable.

Did you mean ADTOE?

I did! Good catch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evai

« Reply #7822 on: May 08, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »
The Dance of Eternity is so repetitive and bland that is makes AC/DC sound progressive.

I think Riff Raff is one of the best rock/blues riffs of all time, it's a great song until the vocals come in, at which point I turn it off

Dance Of Eternity is pretty cool, I love the Budokan version, I might go listen to it again sometime

Hi mom

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #7823 on: May 08, 2017, 12:27:27 PM »
But... BCASL has actual interesting songs. ADTOE is more background music to put on while you do something else. I suppose it's better for driving, or if you're with friends and want to put something inoffensive on. Whereas with BCASL, the prog-fan might blush when an interesting part comes on and rush to change the CD

What does that even mean?

Does he say curse word? Or if you play the CD backwards are there DT orgy outtakes or something?

I bet Jmx is a power bottom.

Offline PB1

« Reply #7824 on: May 09, 2017, 08:32:31 AM »
Did anyone else notice that James Laurie used auto tune on the new album? WTF I lost respect for him after that  :censored :censored :censored

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7825 on: May 09, 2017, 08:37:26 AM »
Brother of Hugh?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7826 on: May 09, 2017, 08:38:57 AM »
Did anyone else notice that James Laurie used auto tune on the new album? WTF I lost respect for him after that  :censored :censored :censored
???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7827 on: May 09, 2017, 08:41:29 AM »
 :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7828 on: May 09, 2017, 08:44:08 AM »
Um.. Hate to tell you this but pretty much every major album has vocal correction.

It's just what you do nowadays to make a perfect studio album...

Hey you tune guitars and drums - why not vocals ?

You do multiple guitar solos and comp the best takes together but a singer has to be perfect every time ?

Offline PB1

« Reply #7829 on: May 09, 2017, 08:47:43 AM »
In the gift of music Labrie says people just don't have the TTIEIEIEUUME for music. WTF? How did petrucci not catch that? That ruined the album for me IMHO

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7830 on: May 09, 2017, 08:51:41 AM »
In the gift of music Labrie says people just don't have the TTIEIEIEUUME for music. WTF? How did petrucci not catch that? That ruined the album for me IMHO

That was discussed here before the album was released I believe. Bosk can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he asked JP about that and John said there actually wasn't a pitch correction effect on that line.

Also - one word ruined a whole double album for you?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7831 on: May 09, 2017, 08:51:44 AM »
One single crotchet in two hours and ten minutes ruined the entire album ?

Ok dude.

@mikeyd :hifive:

Is PB1 Mike Portnoy ?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7832 on: May 09, 2017, 08:57:06 AM »

That was discussed here before the album was released I believe. Bosk can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he asked JP about that and John said there actually wasn't a pitch correction effect on that line.
Correct.  There are no vocal effects on that line AT ALL.  It is just an odd pronunciation by James. 

Also - one word ruined a whole double album for you?
:lol  No kidding!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7833 on: May 09, 2017, 08:57:10 AM »

Then you should also lose respect for every album (including all of DT's) from at least the past 15 years.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7834 on: May 09, 2017, 08:59:10 AM »

Is PB1 Mike Portnoy ?

Not sure if he's Portnoy or not, but he's heading for a fast exit out of here
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline PB1

« Reply #7835 on: May 09, 2017, 09:02:19 AM »
do you have a link to that interview? bc it sounds very processed/unnatural to me. not saying your wrong tho. and yes i was exaggerating about it ruining the album for me. this is the controversial opinions thread after all :loser:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7836 on: May 09, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »
do you have a link to that interview? bc it sounds very processed/unnatural to me. not saying your wrong tho. and yes i was exaggerating about it ruining the album for me. this is the controversial opinions thread after all :loser:
It wasn't an interview.  Somebody on the forum suggested that it sounded unnatural, so I asked JP and James about it myself.  I was told unequivocally that there are no effects used on that line.  It just ended up sounding odd in the final mix for whatever reason. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7837 on: May 09, 2017, 11:08:16 AM »

The words are not random. It's about how in a time of trouble (there's a test of faith), introspection and deep reflection (streams of thought awaken) can lead to moments of enlightenment (singularities) that open your mind to new possibilities (new realities) that transcend your habituated way of looking at the problem (breaking all illusions).

I think you nailed it with the explanation, but I find it funny that the words you used sound a lot like STR:
"In moments of pain
Where heart and mind collide
Self reflection helps me decide"

Or maybe this is a common theme on JM lyrics?  :o
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7838 on: May 09, 2017, 11:10:00 AM »
It wasn't an interview.  Somebody on the forum suggested that it sounded unnatural, so I asked JP and James about it myself.  I was told unequivocally that there are no effects used on that line.  It just ended up sounding odd in the final mix for whatever reason.

As a sound engineer who has worked a whole lot with vocal tuning, I am going to disagree with them. I doubt they're lying, but I would be open to the possibility that they are merely incorrect. It happens. No big deal.

Also doesn't bother me really.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #7839 on: May 09, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »
Lots of respected bands do it. As long as it isn't too obivious I'm fine with autotunning.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.