Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 985862 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #7420 on: March 25, 2016, 01:36:35 PM »
For the most part, same here.  But it becomes relevant when people try to argue, "Dream Theater aren't 'progressive metal' because they haven't changed their sound!"

And when those people light up their "But, they aren't progressive!!" torch and start this same tired argument, you know what you tell them?

"No u."

Wow. Now that's prog!

FTFY

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7421 on: March 25, 2016, 02:02:04 PM »
Nah, I instead opt to blow people's minds by saying something like:  "Hey, did you know Ron Jeremy is in a Sam Kinison video?  True story."  They never see it coming.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7422 on: March 25, 2016, 02:12:30 PM »
Wow. Now that is a wild thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #7423 on: March 25, 2016, 03:30:54 PM »
They never see it coming.

Something Ron Jeremy has probably been able to say many times.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7424 on: March 25, 2016, 03:38:33 PM »
First, I was going to say that I guess 'The Wall' wasn't progressive due to the short songs......and then I saw the Ron Jeremy listing as well, but he doesn't have that tattoo, and then I simply spewed my coffee on the last comment :lol
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7425 on: March 25, 2016, 05:08:58 PM »
But if you are trying to look like you have metal cred in a video full of some of the biggest rock stars, it's not hard to put on a fake tat.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Wither

• We're Dream Theater and this next one's called...
  • "Watch how many notes we can play!"
« Reply #7426 on: March 25, 2016, 10:55:58 PM »
You know, I think The Ministry of Lost Souls is the best song Dream Theater has ever written.
I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down. And all my best creations, burning to the ground. The thought of starting over, leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again, another one that got away.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #7427 on: March 25, 2016, 11:17:29 PM »
You know, I think The Ministry of Lost Souls is the best song Dream Theater has ever written.

Now you're just trying TOO hard to be controversial!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Wither

« Reply #7428 on: March 25, 2016, 11:19:58 PM »
I wish. But that is the truth for me and I stand by it.
I drown in hesitation, my words come crashing down. And all my best creations, burning to the ground. The thought of starting over, leaves me paralyzed. Tear it out again, another one that got away.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #7429 on: March 26, 2016, 02:30:12 AM »
I was only half-serious.

But a lot of people like that song, so it's not really all that unusual to have that opinion or preference.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7430 on: March 26, 2016, 04:51:45 AM »
I wouldn't call it the *best ever*, but I love that song (save the meandering solo section stuck in the middle) and I'm surprised it took so much criticism.

It's somber, melanchonic, solemn, it has an excellent buildup and a memorable chorus... and the following part is nothing but shivers of emotion:

I was the one who would not abandon you
Even in death I was the one who would not leave you

I used my freedom to protect you
And all the while direct you
Do you remember me this time?
Even in death I gave you life
I gave you life

When they played it live, it was gorgeous.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #7431 on: March 26, 2016, 05:37:46 AM »
It used to be my favorite DT song and I remember I couldn't understand why so many people here don't like it. Yes, instrumental part drags a bit but it's great nonetheless.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #7432 on: March 26, 2016, 07:16:31 AM »
When reading your "Food For Thought" thread, I mistakenly assumed you preferred their heavier, angrier songs (like "The Dark Eternal Night" or "The Glass Prison"). Yet, this one is your favourite, and your name/picture/signature is "Wither". Guess I was wrong :P

Whatever happened to that thread? It was getting interesting.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7433 on: March 26, 2016, 08:02:17 AM »
Really? I thought it was the most disgusting thread on this forum ever since I joined. I didn't read through all of it but what I've read was basically him/her cussing at authorities, pushing little children (with their fully automatics :neverusethis:) and talking about burning down the school, all for the sake of being an edgy teenager.

I know they were all fake/made up conversations, like he/she is well familiar with, but this one just wasn't appropriate.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7434 on: March 26, 2016, 08:07:10 AM »
First, I was going to say that I guess 'The Wall' wasn't progressive due to the short songs......and then I saw the Ron Jeremy listing as well, but he doesn't have that tattoo, and then I simply spewed my coffee on the last comment :lol

Prog doesn't always mean long songs. That's an amateur way to define prog. Sure, it's a quality some songs have but it's not ubiquitous. It also defines a lot of power metal songs, classical music, and jazz. Progressive rock is music that has no boundaries and creates its own identity so any definition is going to be shortsighted.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:04:31 AM by Prog Snob »

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #7435 on: March 26, 2016, 08:33:32 AM »
Really? I thought it was the most disgusting thread on this forum ever since I joined. I didn't read through all of it but what I've read was basically him/her cussing at authorities, pushing little children (with their fully automatics :neverusethis:) and talking about burning down the school, all for the sake of being an edgy teenager.

I know they were all fake/made up conversations, like he/she is well familiar with, but this one just wasn't appropriate.
I see what you did there :P

And yeah, the thread started that way, but then Wither calmed down, and some of us got to talk about our experiences in Highschool / College (which to me was interesting, because College in other parts of the world is different to how it is here).

Offline Wither

« Reply #7436 on: March 26, 2016, 10:33:41 AM »
It used to be my favorite DT song and I remember I couldn't understand why so many people here don't like it. Yes, instrumental part drags a bit but it's great nonetheless.

It's simply an awesome transition. I especially love Petrucci's vocals on: "A burden to my soul," and "Drowning in my past."

Also, the second verse: "He will choose the only way, to rid her of her pain," when Petrucci's electric comes in and elongates.

When reading your "Food For Thought" thread, I mistakenly assumed you preferred their heavier, angrier songs (like "The Dark Eternal Night" or "The Glass Prison"). Yet, this one is your favourite, and your name/picture/signature is "Wither". Guess I was wrong :P

Whatever happened to that thread? It was getting interesting.

Actually, heavy songs are alright, but I'd prefer songs like Ministry, Best of Times, and those heart wrenching songs, though I especially love In the Presence of Enemies!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7437 on: April 22, 2016, 08:34:01 AM »
Having seen them again in Boston the other day, here's a maybe controversial opinion: I really hope they ditch the backing tracks for the next tour, or at least heavily curtail them. For me a DT concert is all about hearing what each musician is playing, but with TA, most of the time I couldn't tell what JR was actually playing and what was backing track.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7438 on: April 22, 2016, 08:54:18 AM »
I would also like for them to ditch backing/click tracks, and just play their music.  If they are a little faster or a little slower one night, that's OK.  If something spontaneous happens, that's great.

They've put on some outstanding presentations with that stuff, but I would like to see a slight reversion to the old school a little.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7439 on: April 22, 2016, 09:13:40 AM »
Without seeing the new show to compare, I will say I agree with that.  I'm all about the "live" feel to a show so if that means less pumped in music, more spontaneity, different pacing then I am all for that.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #7440 on: April 22, 2016, 10:15:30 PM »
I agree, especially now that we've got confirmation that the light shows are still done the old way and are almost entirely independent from the tempo.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7441 on: November 22, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »
Sorry to necro this thread up, but man, I just got a direct comparison of two renderings of 6:00

https://youtu.be/KB1bbsxYiVM?t=208  (5 years in a LIVEtime)

https://youtu.be/6FLuOL-Kn2U?t=216 (LALP)

Bass, where art thou these days? JM playing that line is so fantastic.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:58:37 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #7442 on: November 22, 2016, 12:20:09 PM »
Man, I remember thinking the vocals on 5YIALT were pretty bad, but what the heck is up with that Emperor Palpatine on Luna Park??? LOL

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7443 on: November 22, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »
Man, I remember thinking the vocals on 5YIALT were pretty bad, but what the heck is up with that Emperor Palpatine on Luna Park??? LOL
   ???  Are you talking about the acoustic section with the strings?
Who are you referring to as Palpatine?  :rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Skeever

« Reply #7444 on: November 22, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
   ???  Are you talking about the acoustic section with the strings?
Who are you referring to as Palpatine?  :rollin
Did you listen to the clip rumborak linked to? Right around 3:36, he sings "coming outside" in such a guttural way. Sounds totally like Palpatine! 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7445 on: November 22, 2016, 02:30:47 PM »
Sorry to necro this thread up, but man, I just got a direct comparison of two renderings of 6:00

I didn't notice your ending comment, and when I click both links my first thought was how amazing JM's tone and volume was and how he's essentially nixed in the LALP one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #7446 on: November 23, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »

I thought the same. Plus Labrie's vocals.

I didn't notice your ending comment, and when I click both links my first thought was how amazing JM's tone and volume was and how he's essentially nixed in the LALP one.
I also didn't read his comment and was amazed hearing bass in DT for a long time. :D

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #7447 on: November 24, 2016, 05:45:51 PM »
*edit* <wrong thread> My bad!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7448 on: November 24, 2016, 06:15:12 PM »

That bass line is so good, ashame that it's pretty much gone in LALP.

Also I've said this in the past but Ibanez Petrucci is best Petrucci.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #7449 on: November 24, 2016, 11:54:43 PM »
I would also like for them to ditch backing/click tracks, and just play their music.  If they are a little faster or a little slower one night, that's OK.  If something spontaneous happens, that's great.

They've put on some outstanding presentations with that stuff, but I would like to see a slight reversion to the old school a little.

I completely agree 100%
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline jsbru

« Reply #7450 on: November 25, 2016, 07:58:26 PM »
I used to dislike the first disc of 6DOIT.  I always thought TGP was fairly good, but the rest were just blah.

Just recently, Blind Faith and Disappear have really grown on me a ton.  Surprised I didn't like Disappear at first...it reminds me of Radiohead a lot, and I love them.  I'm still kind of iffy on TGD.

I don't know if that's as much a controversial opinion as it is repentance for some of my earlier posts on this thread.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7451 on: November 25, 2016, 08:06:39 PM »
I used to dislike the first disc of 6DOIT.  I always thought TGP was fairly good, but the rest were just blah.

I took to Disc 1 right away, even loving TGP. That said, TGP has not aged well for me. At all. And I've always considered Disc 2 a waste of time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jsbru

« Reply #7452 on: November 25, 2016, 08:13:12 PM »
Heh...now that is controversial!

My most controversial DT opinion is still that Metropolis Pt. 2 is in their bottom half of albums.

I still consider most of their bottom half of albums to be pretty good, but it is what it is.  I enjoy listening to it from time to time, but it's not one I regularly play.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7453 on: November 25, 2016, 09:22:41 PM »
The Astonishing is the best album ever done by a recent band.

"People just don't have the time for music anymore, and no one seems to care"....is the perfect quote because it seems like that.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7454 on: November 26, 2016, 05:18:53 AM »
I have and make plenty of time for music but not for TA.