Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 988894 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #7385 on: March 24, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »
For me, ADToE ends with Breaking All Illusions. I don't acknowledge Beneath the Surface. Do not enjoy it at all.

I do not listen to Our New World. Totally not what I'm looking for in a DT song.

Dear God.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7386 on: March 24, 2016, 01:39:21 PM »
If a few more people voice their displeasure for ONW, then it will be more controversial to like it.  :lol

:lol

I do think that should have ended the album though. 

My biggest complaint with TA is that it ends on a dud.  Not just TA (song) but the grouping of the last few tracks is my least favorite on the album.  All of them are in the bottom half with Whispers being my least favorite on the album. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7387 on: March 24, 2016, 03:57:24 PM »
Yeah, but the live shows have shown that TA (the song) was indeed written as some sort of encore. It works effectively as such. JP has said that when they wrote the album, they were really thinking of it as a staged show, which is why the album length is the way it is and why there are songs that are tailor-made for a live production (overture, Road to Revolution, Entracte, TA).

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7388 on: March 24, 2016, 04:09:07 PM »
If a few more people voice their displeasure for ONW, then it will be more controversial to like it.  :lol

:lol

I do think that should have ended the album though. 

My biggest complaint with TA is that it ends on a dud.  Not just TA (song) but the grouping of the last few tracks is my least favorite on the album.  All of them are in the bottom half with Whispers being my least favorite on the album.

I agree... I rarely listen to the last few tracks. After The Walking Shadow, I lose interest... especially when Nafaryus begins to cry (laugh?).  Whispers on the Wind is the exception. I love that lil song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7389 on: March 24, 2016, 05:51:17 PM »
For me, ADToE ends with Breaking All Illusions. I don't acknowledge Beneath the Surface. Do not enjoy it at all.

I do not listen to Our New World. Totally not what I'm looking for in a DT song.

Dear God.

Amen.

There are other songs I love more on TA, but Our New World is one of the most bad ass straight forward songs they have done to date.  It rocks and is catchy as heck.  And with it being a rare example of them doing a "riff rock" song, where the keyboards are almost nowhere to be found, it is easily a song that could appeal to non-DT fans.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7390 on: March 24, 2016, 06:17:46 PM »

Dear God.

Amen.

There are other songs I love more on TA, but Our New World is one of the most bad ass straight forward songs they have done to date.  It rocks and is catchy as heck.  And with it being a rare example of them doing a "riff rock" song, where the keyboards are almost nowhere to be found, it is easily a song that could appeal to non-DT fans.

Yeah, it's actually a little frustrating for me because I wanted more of it. It's nice and concise, but maybe needed a pre-chorus part (transition to chorus is a little abrupt) or a 3rd verse. Nit-picky I know.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7391 on: March 24, 2016, 06:28:12 PM »

Dear God.

Amen.

Yeah, it's actually a little frustrating for me because I wanted more of it. It's nice and concise, but maybe needed a pre-chorus part (transition to chorus is a little abrupt) or a 3rd verse. Nit-picky I know.

I think it is deliberately short because it is already preceded by 2 hours of music. JP must be thinking listener's / audience fatigue.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 06:36:35 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #7392 on: March 24, 2016, 06:31:03 PM »
I think many songs on TA overall (especially Act II considering the 30 mins of room) could've been improved by extending them.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7393 on: March 24, 2016, 06:41:22 PM »
It could improve on an individual song perspective, but overall listening experience would be worse. I think much of the more negative reaction to Disc 2 is listener fatigue, and that would only worsen if the songs are extended.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7394 on: March 24, 2016, 11:28:07 PM »

The prog hipster needle is in constant flux.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #7395 on: March 25, 2016, 04:57:44 AM »
It could improve on an individual song perspective, but overall listening experience would be worse. I think much of the more negative reaction to Disc 2 is listener fatigue, and that would only worsen if the songs are extended.

Maybe so, but I would just be happy with more of TA. :)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7396 on: March 25, 2016, 05:36:44 AM »

The prog hipster needle is in constant flux.

If it stopped, then it wouldn't be progressive anymore, now would it? It would just become a dreadful monotony...like aor.  ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7397 on: March 25, 2016, 05:46:20 AM »
Almost as much of a dreadful monotony as your posts on music you don't like.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7398 on: March 25, 2016, 05:52:28 AM »
Almost as much of a dreadful monotony as your posts on music you don't like.

:lol  Irony is a wonderful thing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7399 on: March 25, 2016, 05:58:19 AM »
Yeah, says the guy suggesting that people who listen to music you don't like need cochlear implants. ;) Prog Snob indeed.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7400 on: March 25, 2016, 05:59:33 AM »
Yeah, get back to me when you stop suggesting that people who listen to music you don't like need cochlear implants. ;) Prog Snob indeed.

Yes, because not liking DLR makes me a prog snob.  :lol  Silly boy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7401 on: March 25, 2016, 06:03:03 AM »
Just a plain old music snob then. Better? :biggrin:

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #7402 on: March 25, 2016, 06:03:16 AM »
Did I miss something?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7403 on: March 25, 2016, 06:04:42 AM »
Just a plain old music snob then. Better? :biggrin:

I'll stipulate to that if you do.  ;)

Did I miss something?

The airing of grievances. We're a bit late on the Festivus front.  :P

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #7404 on: March 25, 2016, 06:29:37 AM »
I always thought of progressive rock as being rock music with long songs, non-standard song structures, and a little bit of strangeness. I don't think a band necessarily has to change with every album they release, or anything like that, to be considered progressive. In other words, I think of a more concrete style than I do a philosophical approach to songwriting and evolution, if that makes sense.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7405 on: March 25, 2016, 06:46:51 AM »
I always thought of progressive rock as being rock music with long songs, non-standard song structures, and a little bit of strangeness. I don't think a band necessarily has to change with every album they release, or anything like that, to be considered progressive. In other words, I think of a more concrete style than I do a philosophical approach to songwriting and evolution, if that makes sense.

Trying to define what progressive rock is and should be is an exercise in futility. I think there are different characteristics that one could define as being progressive, but at the same time, I don't think it should be limited to a specific definition. I mentioned that a band not changing from one album to the next starts to become stale and shouldn't be labeled progressive, but I feel like I was a bit capricious saying that and didn't explain myself thoroughly. I was thinking of a band like AC/DC who put out the same album constantly. Granted there are no prog bands like that which I know of. Imagine Dream Theater always made albums that sounded just like Images and Words. As godlike as that album is, it would start to get monotonous after a while.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #7406 on: March 25, 2016, 07:34:28 AM »

Trying to define what progressive rock is and should be is an exercise in futility. I think there are different characteristics that one could define as being progressive, but at the same time, I don't think it should be limited to a specific definition. I mentioned that a band not changing from one album to the next starts to become stale and shouldn't be labeled progressive, but I feel like I was a bit capricious saying that and didn't explain myself thoroughly. I was thinking of a band like AC/DC who put out the same album constantly. Granted there are no prog bands like that which I know of. Imagine Dream Theater always made albums that sounded just like Images and Words. As godlike as that album is, it would start to get monotonous after a while.

Yup, agreed, although I can think of a few bands that still manage to make amazing music despite not changing ever. Amorphis are one of my favorite bands, and their style has been basically the same for a full decade now, but it doesn't matter to me because they kick so much ass. Sometimes it's nice to know what you're getting.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7407 on: March 25, 2016, 09:02:41 AM »
And that would be the correct definition.  I had having to pedantically explain this to newbies every couple of years, but "progressive rock" as a music genre is not about change.  It is about a genre of music that is very loosely defined by the type of characteristics you describe above.  "Progressive" as merely an adjective to describe a certain type of music would imply change, but that isn't what we mean when we are discussing the genre of progressive rock (or progressive metal). 

Anyhow, now that the noobs have been corrected, back on topic...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7408 on: March 25, 2016, 09:49:55 AM »
And that would be the correct definition.  I had having to pedantically explain this to newbies every couple of years, but "progressive rock" as a music genre is not about change.  It is about a genre of music that is very loosely defined by the type of characteristics you describe above.  "Progressive" as merely an adjective to describe a certain type of music would imply change, but that isn't what we mean when we are discussing the genre of progressive rock (or progressive metal). 

I would have to contend with the"long song" though as a general characteristic of prog. I think long song is just one of the non-standard structures used in the genre.

So really for me, prog is just about non-standard structures. That's it. The strangeness factor is a product of the non-standardness.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7409 on: March 25, 2016, 10:27:06 AM »
I agree with the past 3 posts. Saying progressive rock is about the music progressing is like saying hard rock is only rock that's hard to play. :lol

(Also it peeves me when people try to distinguish a difference between progressive rock and prog. I'm pretty sure that's just a made up thing.)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7410 on: March 25, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
(Also it peeves me when people try to distinguish a difference between progressive rock and prog. I'm pretty sure that's just a made up thing.)

It is.  But I think what people are trying to say is that "prog" refers to the genre, while "progressive rock" means "rock music" (n.) that is "progressive" (adj., meaning changing or evolving) in nature.  I'm fine with the distinction because I think it is correct, and if that's how people want to make sense of the two different things, that's fine.  But it is usually understood (or least should be) that the term "progressive rock" usually refers to the genre, and that "prog" is just a shorthand version of that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7411 on: March 25, 2016, 10:33:57 AM »
I suppose that's fair.

I really do wish that genres were clear cut and specific, but really...they aren't and neither are the songs categorized by them. They work more as descriptors than clean-cut boxes you can drop songs or artists into.

That's probably the most important thing about music I've learned over the past 10 years.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7412 on: March 25, 2016, 10:36:29 AM »
This is where genre classifications and definitions become trivial to me. I couldn't care less about whether an album is progressive or not, or the prog vs progressive argument. I can't say that the progressiveness of TA crossed my mind or was a factor while judging whether I liked it or not.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7413 on: March 25, 2016, 11:05:42 AM »
This is where genre classifications and definitions become trivial to me. I couldn't care less about whether an album is progressive or not, or the prog vs progressive argument. I can't say that the progressiveness of TA crossed my mind or was a factor while judging whether I liked it or not.

Just like a cyborg or a robot.

*Throw poo* ;D

I kid, I kid!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7414 on: March 25, 2016, 11:27:08 AM »
For the most part, same here.  But it becomes relevant when people try to argue, "Dream Theater aren't 'progressive metal' because they haven't changed their sound!" 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7415 on: March 25, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »
You say Tomato, I say Tomato...........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7416 on: March 25, 2016, 11:44:22 AM »
I agree with everything that bosky said.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7417 on: March 25, 2016, 12:46:14 PM »

I would have to contend with the"long song" though as a general characteristic of prog. I think long song is just one of the non-standard structures used in the genre.

So really for me, prog is just about non-standard structures. That's it. The strangeness factor is a product of the non-standardness.

Agreed. Long songs are not a necessary characteristic of progressive rock. There are prog songs that are short, and there are non-prog bands that have long songs. That's one of the mistakes people make when defining prog.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #7418 on: March 25, 2016, 12:59:52 PM »
For the most part, same here.  But it becomes relevant when people try to argue, "Dream Theater aren't 'progressive metal' because they haven't changed their sound!"

And when those people light up their "But, they aren't progressive!!" torch and start this same tired argument, you know what you tell them?

"No u."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7419 on: March 25, 2016, 01:27:51 PM »

And when those people light up their "But, they aren't progressive!!" torch and start this same tired argument, you know what you tell them?

"No u."

Wow. Now that's progressive!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol