Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979633 times)

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #7315 on: March 16, 2016, 10:09:37 PM »
TA is the first DT album of which I'll make sure there's no one around when (if ever) I'm putting it on. It's just too embarrasing, I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face when JLB sings 'people just don't have the time for music anymore'. And that's not even the cheesiest moment, far from it.

They said in an interview that they wanted to come with an album of short songs because people don't have the time to listen to long songs. So that is what they've done.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7316 on: March 16, 2016, 10:19:08 PM »
TA is the first DT album of which I'll make sure there's no one around when (if ever) I'm putting it on. It's just too embarrasing, I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face when JLB sings 'people just don't have the time for music anymore'. And that's not even the cheesiest moment, far from it.
Opinions and all, but I just don't understand this at all.

If you're too embarrassed to listen to a particular type of music, why bother listening to it at all. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7317 on: March 16, 2016, 10:57:13 PM »
I love bumping music others would consider embarrassing, which is funny cause their reaction is usually "what the hell you listening to?"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7318 on: March 17, 2016, 07:01:50 AM »

They said in an interview that they wanted to come with an album of short songs because people don't have the time to listen to long songs. So that is what they've done.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/dream-theater-live-out-sci-fi-fantasies-with-the-000938042.html

Not only does he (JP) feel music is undervalued and treated like something to trade and discard, he’s concerned that people seem to lack the attention spans to listen full albums, let alone full-fledged double-disc concept records.

Offline oceanic156

« Reply #7319 on: March 17, 2016, 07:29:34 AM »
IMO, The Astonishing makes SFaM looks like child's play.  TA is superior in its writing, composition, and ambition.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7320 on: March 17, 2016, 07:31:45 AM »
I agree TA is more ambitious, but pales in comparison to the masterpiece of SFAM.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 07:58:39 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #7321 on: March 17, 2016, 07:39:46 AM »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think their goal was kind of the opposite of what you said.

From what I've read, the band felt like music has become something people enjoy more passively than actively, so they sought to write an album that would demand listeners sit down and invest their time in the thing.

Your post makes it seem like the band decided to write short songs in order to flow more synchronously with the tide versus against it. Again, perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but if that is your point, then that's just wrong. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7322 on: March 17, 2016, 07:59:55 AM »
I agree TA is more ambitious, but pales in comparison to the masterpiece of SFAM.

Absolutely this.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline oceanic156

« Reply #7323 on: March 17, 2016, 08:07:54 AM »

Absolutely this.

Well, I really wouldn't consider either one a 'masterpiece'; I prefer I&W and Awake to both records. But what do you think SFAM does so well that TA doesn't? The lyrics/concept on TA could certainly be improved, but in terms of melodies/songwriting I really think TA is on another level entirely. Aside from the excellent standout tracks (Fatal Tragedy, Home, Finally Free) I would even say that I think SFAM is a little tedious and stretches some of its musical motifs too thin.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7324 on: March 17, 2016, 08:22:30 AM »

Absolutely this.

Well, I really wouldn't consider either one a 'masterpiece'; I prefer I&W and Awake to both records. But what do you think SFAM does so well that TA doesn't? The lyrics/concept on TA could certainly be improved, but in terms of melodies/songwriting I really think TA is on another level entirely. Aside from the excellent standout tracks (Fatal Tragedy, Home, Finally Free) I would even say that I think SFAM is a little tedious and stretches some of its musical motifs too thin.

3/4 of TA is tedious and stretched thin to me, with a lot of repetition and samey sections that are only there to serve as background to the story. I never once managed to get through the album in one sitting.
SFAM was a fresh lineup with something to prove firing on all cylinders, has better melodies/songwriting, more energy, a better balance and variety of instrumental sections, more complex and rewarding music, better pacing, and most importantly the songwriting is stellar from start to finish. Neither album has story/lyrics as a strength, but TA has a lot of dud lyrics that actively bother me, which is a rarity for me as I don't place much importance on lyrics.

The majority of DT fans would rank SFAM as a top 3 DT album at the least and would probably consider it a masterpiece, but hey, this is the controversial opinion thread! :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #7325 on: March 17, 2016, 08:24:53 AM »
IMO, The Astonishing makes SFaM looks like child's play.  TA is superior in its writing, composition, and ambition.

you have to be kidding

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7326 on: March 17, 2016, 08:25:46 AM »
SFAM is better from an individual song perspective.  Each song stands on its own.  As much as I love TA, I don't see that as the case as I see that album viewed better as groupings of songs since there aren't many chorus' but musical themes.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #7327 on: March 17, 2016, 08:28:14 AM »

Absolutely this.

3/4 of TA is tedious and stretched thin to me, with a lot of repetition and samey sections that are only there to serve as background to the story. I never once managed to get through the album in one sitting.
SFAM was a fresh lineup with something to prove firing on all cylinders, has better melodies/songwriting, more energy, a better balance and variety of instrumental sections, more complex and rewarding music, better pacing, and most importantly the songwriting is stellar from start to finish. Neither album has story/lyrics as a strength, but TA has a lot of dud lyrics that actively bother me, which is a rarity for me as I don't place much importance on lyrics.

The majority of DT fans would rank SFAM as a top 3 DT album at the least and would probably consider it a masterpiece, but hey, this is the controversial opinion thread! :biggrin:

Your honor, I have no more questions. :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7328 on: March 17, 2016, 08:32:36 AM »
Hmm...that is a strong claim, and I think I probably agree with the second sentence at the end of the day.  But, given where the band were at the time they wrote SFAM, it could be argued that SFAM was more ambitious given what the band had to work with.  I'm not sure TA could have been written if the band had never written SFAM and had this many years of what they did with that album soaking in and becoming second nature. 

SFAM is better from an individual song perspective.  Each song stands on its own.  As much as I love TA, I don't see that as the case as I see that album viewed better as groupings of songs since there aren't many chorus' but musical themes.
I actually feel exactly the opposite.  A number of songs on TA stand on their own merit quite well, whereas SFAM as an album is definitely greater than the sum of its individual parts, other than a couple of standout exceptions. 

That said, SFAM is still my #2 DT album behind SDOIT.  I still have no idea where I will ultimately rank TA.  But I think I pretty high ranking is in store.  Initially, I felt like the album could potentially plummet a bit once the newness wore off.  But it has been steadily growing in my estimation since release, and I am finding lots of layers and lots of cool little nuances throughout the album that are the kinds of things that tend to give an album staying power with me.  Not sure it will crack my elite top 4, but I think it could at least knock I&W out of the #5 spot to be at the top of the next tier.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline oceanic156

« Reply #7329 on: March 17, 2016, 08:50:24 AM »

Absolutely this.

To be clear, I hugely enjoy both records. Maybe I'm just uncomfortable with the 'masterpiece' label when both SFAM and TA have some off-putting moments and lyrics that don't really impress me.

However, when it comes to melodies and songwriting, I just think TA is flat-out superior. A large portion of SFAM (Through My Words, Beyond This Life, Through Her Eyes, One Last Time) leaves me a little cold. The ballads are kind of meh. Even The Dance of Eternity is more technically impressive than it is musically enjoyable for me. Comparatively, I think the weak tracks on TA (Act of Faythe, BCYHM?, Begin Again, Losing Faythe) are few and far between given the length and overall consistency of the album. TA just moves from strength to strength over an extremely varied course of songs and musical approaches. I would take A Better Life, Ravenskill, X Aspect, or My Last Farewell over anything on SFAM.

Do you not think the band is 'firing on all cylinders' during TA? They certainly sound like it. I don't think Jordan, JP, or James in particular have ever sounded better.

EDIT: Oh, and as a drummer myself, I far prefer Mangini's style to Portnoy's. Part of my enjoyment of the MM-era records is because the drumming is so memorable for me. Maybe that's also a little controversial to say  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7330 on: March 17, 2016, 08:52:48 AM »
I actually feel exactly the opposite.  A number of songs on TA stand on their own merit quite well, whereas SFAM as an album is definitely greater than the sum of its individual parts, other than a couple of standout exceptions. 

There certainly are a number of songs on TA that stand alone quite well.  I guess it's a personal thing, I feel the album is so much easier to digest in song groupings.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #7331 on: March 17, 2016, 08:54:31 AM »
That said, SFAM is still my #2 DT album behind SDOIT.  I still have no idea where I will ultimately rank TA.  But I think I pretty high ranking is in store.  Initially, I felt like the album could potentially plummet a bit once the newness wore off.  But it has been steadily growing in my estimation since release, and I am finding lots of layers and lots of cool little nuances throughout the album that are the kinds of things that tend to give an album staying power with me.  Not sure it will crack my elite top 4, but I think it could at least knock I&W out of the #5 spot to be at the top of the next tier.
What are your #3 and #4 albums?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7332 on: March 17, 2016, 09:06:52 AM »
- SFAM has almost no weak songs
- It is concise, never feels like unnecessary stretching
- The concept is a bit campy, but not in-your-face campy as TA is
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7333 on: March 17, 2016, 09:10:11 AM »
What are your #3 and #4 albums?
3.  ADTOE
4.  DT12
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #7334 on: March 17, 2016, 09:22:30 AM »
3.  ADTOE
4.  DT12
:tup (I also rank those albums highly)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7335 on: March 17, 2016, 09:56:09 AM »
I don't find very fair to compare SFAM with TA, because although both of them are concept albums they are vastly different in scope, reach, ambition and structure. SFAM is the quintessential prog metal album, wheras TA has an entirely different musical dialogue and reach. Both reflect the band in entirely different mindsets; SFAM had the band in need of writing the most kickass-definitive progressive metal album of their career and TA was a step the band needed to take to stay innovative and fresh after a damn long history of 13 albums. After so many years and so much music, it's different for a band to do something really different that makes an impact in their community, and with that I think that they succeeded with The Astonishing.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the musical quality of bands tends to go downhill after so many years and albums, and I think I agree; and with that in mind I think DT did a hell of a good job with their latest album.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:11:09 AM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7336 on: March 17, 2016, 09:58:48 AM »
3.  ADTOE
4.  DT12
:tup (I also rank those albums highly)
Fantastic albums.  As I have said elsewhere, they don't quite reach the highs of some of the best from an album like I&W, but they are much more consistent as a whole.  I love it that the last three albums are some of the best music the band has done in their entire career.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7337 on: March 17, 2016, 10:05:30 AM »
I don't find very fair to compare SFAM with TA, because although both of them are concept album they are vastly different in scope, reach, ambition and structure. SFAM is the quintessential prog metal album, wheras TA has an entirely different musical dialogue and reach. Both reflect the band in entirely different mindsets; SFAM had the band in need of writing the most kickass-definitive progressive metal album of their career and TA was a step the band needed to take to stay innovative and fresh after a damn long history of 13 albums. After so many years and so much music, it's different for a band to do something really different that makes an impact in their community, and with that I think that they succeeded with The Astonishing.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the musical quality of bands tends to go downhill after so many years and albums, and I think I agree; and with that in mind I think DT did a hell of a good job with their latest album.
I agree with all of this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7338 on: March 17, 2016, 10:07:19 AM »
As I said before, TA and SFAM is really hard to compare because they are two different things.

TA is a musical and works well as a musical. The music is written like a musical score, not a technical prog album. The objectives of the songs are to move the narrative forward and to give layers of characterization to the characters. If judged as a typical prog concept album, of course it would feel bloated, overlong and full of filler and recurring motifs. The technical instrumentality in the album would not be as impressive because it is written as a musical score.

In the same vein, SFAM is very strong as a typical prog concept album. But it will not work as a musical. The instrumentals are too long, the plot is too thin, the characters are not well developed. But why wouLd I judge it as a musical? It is not.

If you find TA a slog to listen through in one sitting, most likely you would find Jesus Christ Superstar to similarly have so many songs that feel like filler. Or Miss Saigon. Or maybe even Les Miserables.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #7339 on: March 17, 2016, 10:10:09 AM »
I don't find very fair to compare SFAM with TA, because although both of them are concept album they are vastly different in scope, reach, ambition and structure. SFAM is the quintessential prog metal album, wheras TA has an entirely different musical dialogue and reach. Both reflect the band in entirely different mindsets; SFAM had the band in need of writing the most kickass-definitive progressive metal album of their career and TA was a step the band needed to take to stay innovative and fresh after a damn long history of 13 albums. After so many years and so much music, it's different for a band to do something really different that makes an impact in their community, and with that I think that they succeeded with The Astonishing.

Great post! :tup

DT have aged remarkably well. They are still writing really good albums, as far as I'm concerned, especially considering how often they put them out. You compare them to a band like, say, Metallica, who have all but lost their passion for creating new music, and it's pretty damn impressive.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #7340 on: March 17, 2016, 10:23:14 AM »

I think DT subvert that trend, along with other Prog Metal bands like Symphony X and Threshold. TA is second only to IaW at the moment for me.

As I said before, TA and SFAM is really hard to compare because they are two different things.

TA is a musical and works well as a musical. The music is written like a musical score, not a technical prog album. The objectives of the songs are to move the narrative forward and to give layers of characterization to the characters. If judged as a typical prog concept album, of course it would feel bloated, overlong and full of filler and recurring motifs. The technical instrumentality in the album would not be as impressive because it is written as a musical score.

In the same vein, SFAM is very strong as a typical prog concept album. But it will not work as a musical. The instrumentals are too long, the plot is too thin, the characters are not well developed. But why wouLd I judge it as a musical? It is not.

If you find TA a slog to listen through in one sitting, most likely you would find Jesus Christ Superstar to similarly have so many songs that feel like filler. Or Miss Saigon. Or maybe even Les Miserables.

Spot on there. :tup I feel like TA is a more mature effort than SfaM due to how subtly intricate and restrained it is. SfaM is a great achievement and milestone for the band, but it is among a few of those in DT's discography and I feel that TA is one of them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7341 on: March 17, 2016, 10:34:01 AM »

I think DT subvert that trend, along with other Prog Metal bands like Symphony X and Threshold. TA is second only to IaW at the moment for me.

Yeah, I tend to agree.  When I look at what I listened to in the '80s, I find that I don't listen to many of those bands much anymore.  Part of it is that I have kind of moved on from where I was musically back then, as my mindset has changed and matured.  But that isn't it entirely, as I still go back to those old classics.  For the most part, it is just that most of those bands, if they are still making music at all, aren't making music that is as strong or as passionate.  The bands that are in heavy rotation nowadays for me are the few that have bucked the trend, or just newer bands.  And most of the long-standing bands/artists that have bucked the trend are in the progressive category (or at least flirt with it), such as DT, Symphony X (more power metal than prog metal, but okay), Neal Morse, and Transatlantic (after 4 albums, I have to consider them a viable "band" rather than simply a "side project").  One non-prog band that I would consider to have put out consistently strong output in recent years is Maiden (despite that I felt that TBOS was a step down from the last three albums).  I also have to give Queensryche and Stryper props for finding their way and putting out strong, inspired-sounding material for at least a couple of albums each now.

Offline oceanic156

« Reply #7342 on: March 17, 2016, 10:36:43 AM »

Although there are certainly elements of musical theater within the structure and flavor of TA, for me it shines best as just a prog rock album. Even taken out of their narrative context, TA is full of interesting and musically progressive songs. There are clear musical connections with DT12, also- I think something like 'The Bigger Picture' would fit perfectly on TA. I don't think it's unfair to compare TA with other DT albums. I also don't find the music to be jarringly or wildly different from the rest of DT's catalogue, it's just placed in a different context.

If you asked me to compare (just an example from recent memory) Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly with Scenes From a Memory on equal terms, I would find that to be very challenging, given the sociopolitical context and focus on lyricism that drives TPAB. But I think DT have a pretty established sound that they've done great things with through all their records.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7343 on: March 17, 2016, 12:28:19 PM »

Same here. Not many bands can still keep it fresh and intriguing thirty years into their career. It's one of their most versatile releases. TA doesn't quite crack the Top 5 for me but it's sitting pretty at number six.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7344 on: March 17, 2016, 12:47:33 PM »

Same here. Not many bands can still keep it fresh and intriguing thirty years into their career. It's one of their most versatile releases. TA doesn't quite crack the Top 5 for me but it's sitting pretty at number six.

I agree with all of this.  I still need to figure out where this album sits, doesn't crack my top few for sure, but I haven't exactly figured out where in the middle it belongs.  I'm not sure where it sits compared to SFAM either actually.  I&W, Awake, ADTOE, BC&SL are my top 4.  This could be 5 or maybe SFAM is 5.  There's just so much music here it makes it hard to compare to every other album.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7345 on: March 17, 2016, 12:51:59 PM »
Wow. I don't see BC&SL ranked that high in many people's lists. It's a great album but it gets overshadowed by their other releases.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7346 on: March 17, 2016, 12:54:43 PM »
Wow. I don't see BC&SL ranked that high in many people's lists. It's a great album but it gets overshadowed by their other releases.

Yup, that's part of my controversial opinions on DT.  I love that album.  Part of that love though is tied to the good times I had during that summer so the music always reminds me of those good times and therefore I like it a lot more.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #7347 on: March 17, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »

Yup, that's part of my controversial opinions on DT.  I love that album.  Part of that love though is tied to the good times I had during that summer so the music always reminds me of those good times and therefore I like it a lot more.
In my case, since it was released in Winter in my country, and since a lot of the music is dark and minor key, I've always considered it Winter-y music. The artwork also reminds me of Winter. "The Best Of Times" (minus the intro and outro) is the only Summer-y thing in the album to me.

Weird how albums can evoke opposite moods/memories.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7348 on: March 17, 2016, 10:12:18 PM »
I really love The Astonishing, like really, but Beyond This Life alone is better than that album.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #7349 on: March 17, 2016, 10:26:23 PM »

so instead they made a 2+ hour album that people who like listening to whole albums will never have the time to listen to???