Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991435 times)

Offline CharlesPL

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #6160 on: May 23, 2015, 11:02:43 AM »
Majesty Demos >>> ToT >>>>>>>>> BC&SL>>>>>>>>>>>>>SC :)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6161 on: May 23, 2015, 11:08:03 AM »
Majesty Demos >>> ToT >>>>>>>>> BC&SL>>>>>>>>>>>>>SC :)

lolwut
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6162 on: May 23, 2015, 11:16:27 AM »
Random number generator fed through general MIDI + pitch corrected dog barks >>>>>>>>>> Majesty demos
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #6163 on: May 23, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
Random number generator fed through general MIDI + pitch corrected dog barks >>>>>>>>>> Majesty demos

Exactly my thoughts, too. Thank you Blob.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6164 on: May 23, 2015, 07:18:05 PM »
DTs  cover of Perfect Strangers suffers from what most of their covers suffer from.  They're clinically precise in their execution,  but there's nothing unique or added to the cover.  In most cases you're better off listening to the original,  since well,  it's the original.
Classic case in point: Dark Side of the Moon. Flawless cover. But why would you watch it? If the intent is to get as close to the real deal as possible, it seems the real deal is the thing to choose.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 07:24:14 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6165 on: May 23, 2015, 08:07:50 PM »
Good point rumby. If there was one thing I didn't like about DT's covers, is that they generally were too close to the original. I know many will probably disagree, but regarding DT's covers of Pink Floyd songs, especially Echoes, JL was very reserved in his vocal delivery, trying to mimic the original vocals instead of putting more of his own spin on them. Not that he had to go full out, but I would have loved to have seen what he would've done if he wasn't trying to copy Gilmour.

I'm glad at least they tried something different with Maiden's Gangland. Can't say it was any better than the original, but being that it was more of a throwaway track, it was worth the experiment.

Probably my favorite DT cover of all time is their version of Rush's Necromancer, and it's largely due to the fact that they walked that fine line of playing it close enough to the original to make it recognizable (at least to the Rush diehards) but still incorporating their own style into the song. For me, DT's cover of that song in particular is better than the original.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #6166 on: May 23, 2015, 08:36:46 PM »
I think it's pretty obvious. You would listen to the cover because it sounds better in one way or another. In Floyd's case, I prefer JLB's voice by far. Especially on Hey You, for instance. Same goes for Geoff Tate's cover of Welcome to the Machine (and it pains me to say it). They have more pleasant voices or delivery.

Covers are a damned if you do/don't cases. On one hand you'll have the people who don't like that it's an identical version, on the other you'd have people pissed because who do these people think they are to mess with something "holy". And IG's singing in PS is pretty lame in comparison. James basically did to PS what he did to Dominici's version of The Killing Hand or other I&W songs. That's enough of a change to not be clinical in my book.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6167 on: May 23, 2015, 10:41:33 PM »
I could see if they did cover something by someone like Bob Dylan, where the original version of the song is considered inpalatable by many. But,  DT has always covered songs that were already impeccable in their original version. Their covers just don't add much.  And at least in my book, an original carries a certain additional thing that a cover doesn't have.  It's just not the guys who created it.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6168 on: May 23, 2015, 11:17:11 PM »
I think 'The Looking Glass' is the best song off the self-titled album.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #6169 on: May 23, 2015, 11:21:32 PM »

Even if I liked the song for what it was, the abrupt ending sort of kills it for me.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6170 on: May 23, 2015, 11:41:08 PM »

Even if I liked the song for what it was, the abrupt ending sort of kills it for me.
It's the only downside of the song.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #6171 on: May 24, 2015, 03:08:02 AM »

It's the only downside of the song.
It ends abruptly for you too? I thought there was something wrong with my CD.

:laugh:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #6172 on: May 24, 2015, 05:07:43 PM »
DTs  cover of Perfect Strangers suffers from what most of their covers suffer from.  They're clinically precise in their execution,  but there's nothing unique or added to the cover.  In most cases you're better off listening to the original,  since well,  it's the original.
Classic case in point: Dark Side of the Moon. Flawless cover. But why would you watch it? If the intent is to get as close to the real deal as possible, it seems the real deal is the thing to choose.
I definitely agree. I feel the same way about the Queen cover from Black Clouds. Everyone worships that, but I'll take the version on Sheer Heart Attack any day.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6173 on: May 24, 2015, 06:47:34 PM »
I should clarify,  I don't have much of a problem with *live* covers that don't stray much from the original. It's a nice way for a band to break up their set, and show their influences.
It's when a band specifically goes into a studio to record a verbatim cover that makes me scratch my head.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6174 on: May 25, 2015, 05:50:45 AM »
The Queen cover is cool because DT does put their spin on it.  Making it "DT Like". I think that's why most of us like it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #6175 on: May 25, 2015, 05:13:44 PM »
The BC&SL cover CD is more enjoyable and listenable.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6176 on: May 26, 2015, 10:16:28 AM »
Most have become so accustomed to DT's longest songs being the best on their associated albums that they automatically thought it was true this time.  It isn't.  :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Telefragged

« Reply #6177 on: May 26, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »
I think it's incredibly inappropriate for DT to play any part of the AA Saga live now that Mike is gone.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6178 on: May 26, 2015, 01:26:35 PM »
I think it's incredibly inappropriate for DT to play any part of the AA Saga live now that Mike is gone.

Why?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Telefragged

« Reply #6179 on: May 26, 2015, 01:28:36 PM »

Why?

It's simply Mike's personal struggle, and it really seems strange for the guys to still be using it.  Granted the copyright to those specific songs is still theirs, but it was surreal seeing The Shattered Fortress being done without Mike anywhere.  That feels like his victory song to me.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6180 on: May 26, 2015, 01:29:57 PM »
I don't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6181 on: May 26, 2015, 01:44:47 PM »

Why?

It's simply Mike's personal struggle, and it really seems strange for the guys to still be using it.  Granted the copyright to those specific songs is still theirs, but it was surreal seeing The Shattered Fortress being done without Mike anywhere.  That feels like his victory song to me.

Okay, but Mike never really viewed the songs that way.  I mean, yes, the lyrics were inspired by his own journey.  But they are not written in such a way as to be uniquely person to Mike.  They are meant to be (and quite literally, are) more about the 12 steps in general rather than simply being written about Mike's experience in the way that, say, The Best Of Times is very much about things that are intimate and personal to Mike.  If he had ever at any point expressed any such sentiment about those lyrics, that might be a different story.  But he hasn't.  And given the way the songs are written, I don't think he would.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Telefragged

« Reply #6182 on: May 26, 2015, 01:53:11 PM »

Why?

Okay, but Mike never really viewed the songs that way.  I mean, yes, the lyrics were inspired by his own journey.  But they are not written in such a way as to be uniquely person to Mike.  They are meant to be (and quite literally, are) more about the 12 steps in general rather than simply being written about Mike's experience in the way that, say, The Best Of Times is very much about things that are intimate and personal to Mike.  If he had ever at any point expressed any such sentiment about those lyrics, that might be a different story.  But he hasn't.  And given the way the songs are written, I don't think he would.

Hence why it's a controversial opinion. :)   Or did I go into the wrong thread?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #6183 on: May 26, 2015, 01:59:44 PM »
I think it's more because of the reasons you mentioned, not the opinion itself.

Offline Telefragged

« Reply #6184 on: May 26, 2015, 02:08:14 PM »
I think it's more because of the reasons you mentioned, not the opinion itself.

I understand that.  Unfortunately, I'm coming from this from a different perspective here as they hit a bit close to home, and I remember when Mike was still struggling.  I've been away from the band for quite some time, and it was super surreal to jump back in and see them still being played.

If we gave the same courtesy to Space Dye Vest for this long, then why not the AA Saga?  Granted SDV wasn't a good song to begin with, but that's another controversial opinion for another day.  :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6185 on: May 26, 2015, 02:10:32 PM »
If we gave the same courtesy to Space Dye Vest for this long, then why not the AA Saga?  Granted SDV wasn't a good song to begin with, but that's another controversial opinion for another day.  :P

No, that would be a CORRECT opinion. 

But it wasn't so much a courtesy as much as Mike simply not liking the song and the band not feeling it really fit as a "Dream Theater song." 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6186 on: May 26, 2015, 02:14:20 PM »
That wasn't about courtesy.  MP made the setlists, and he didn't like the song.

EDIT: ninja'd by bosky
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6187 on: May 26, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »
The one they should probably stay away from is Repentance. It's not a great song to begin with, and it has too much MP in it. Glass Prison on the other hand is totally fair game. At that point the whole concept hadn't jumped the shark yet.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6188 on: May 26, 2015, 06:34:16 PM »
The one they should probably stay away from is Repentance. It's not a great song to begin with, and it has too much MP in it. Glass Prison on the other hand is totally fair game. At that point the whole concept hadn't jumped the shark yet.

I agree with this 100%.

Especially since Flying Colors played it on their tour... that kinda makes me think Mike has a stronger connection sentimentally to that than the rest of the 12SS
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6189 on: May 26, 2015, 10:54:44 PM »
I think DT and MP both have every right to perform the 12SS songs live, and I get more and more baffled as to why DT hasn't performed TGP in so long.

I agree with this 100%.

Especially since Flying Colors played it on their tour... that kinda makes me think Mike has a stronger connection sentimentally to that than the rest of the 12SS

Or it was just the easiest to put together for a new band. It's the only one of the 12SS that isn't a difficult song.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #6190 on: May 26, 2015, 11:04:48 PM »
DT's cover of Perfect Strangers is better than the original by Deep Purple.

While we're at it, may I say that I think that DT's version of Hey You is superior to the original by Pink Floyd?
You may say it, but I won't agree with it.

Well, yeah, I mean, I'm not so naive that I'd expect you to agree with me on anything.  :lol

DT + Bruce covering Perfect Strangers :heart

Too bad there was never a good quality recording of it. Otherwise, yeah, the idea of it is pretty damn legendary.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6191 on: May 26, 2015, 11:09:13 PM »
Repentance is the 2nd best 12SS song, behind The Glass Prison.

And the Dark Side of the Moon cover is excellent, specially Any Colour You Like. That jam is amazing - it truly fit with the album's flow.

Offline 425

« Reply #6192 on: May 26, 2015, 11:17:28 PM »
Repentance is the 2nd best 12SS song, behind The Glass Prison.

I'd say second or third best for me, as well.

But, to up the controversy level of my post: My favorite in the suite is This Dying Soul, and the song that is competing with Repentance for second place right now is The Shattered Fortress.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #6193 on: May 26, 2015, 11:19:24 PM »
I think DT and MP both have every right to perform the 12SS songs live, and I get more and more baffled as to why DT hasn't performed TGP in so long.

To be fair, they haven't performed A Change of Seasons in a long time either. I think both will make a comeback soon. Especially since they'll probably be celebrating 30 years for the 2016 tour as well as the 2015 dates (like how they celebrated 20 years from 2005 through 2006). There's a lot of songs that they haven't played in a while that are loved by most fans. Take the Time, Voices, A Change of Seasons, Hell's Kitchen, Lines in the Sand, Home, The Glass Prison, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Stream of Consiousness, In the Name of God, and Octavarium all haven't been played live since Mike Mangini joined the band.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6194 on: May 27, 2015, 12:01:01 AM »

To be fair, they haven't performed A Change of Seasons in a long time either. I think both will make a comeback soon. Especially since they'll probably be celebrating 30 years for the 2016 tour as well as the 2015 dates (like how they celebrated 20 years from 2005 through 2006). There's a lot of songs that they haven't played in a while that are loved by most fans. Take the Time, Voices, A Change of Seasons, Hell's Kitchen, Lines in the Sand, Home, The Glass Prison, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Stream of Consiousness, In the Name of God, and Octavarium all haven't been played live since Mike Mangini joined the band.

ACOS is a much longer song, so it makes practical sense not to play it often (and it's also extremely mediocre imo), and has been played plenty in the past. TGP has been constantly overlooked.

They've only played a narrow selection of songs in their two tours with MM because of limited or no setlist rotation, so I wouldn't read too much into that, especially given how many albums were completely omitted from the last tour's setlist (IaW and SDOIT especially).