Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991926 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #5565 on: November 11, 2014, 10:28:05 PM »
I wouldn't mind someone with a bit of taste back on the keys in DT.

Offline adastra

« Reply #5566 on: November 12, 2014, 01:26:35 AM »
I wouldn't mind someone with a bit of taste back on the keys in DT.

Yeah, No doubt that Rudess is one of the best players out there, but I liked Kevin's and Derek's style much much more!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:35:24 AM by adastra »
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5567 on: November 12, 2014, 06:31:59 AM »
The best keyboard work is in Awake.  Not best at the technical level but best in doing the stuff needed to get the message of the songs across.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5568 on: November 12, 2014, 06:48:55 AM »
I disagree.  Kev at that time checked out knowing he was leaving.  When that album came out, I felt it lacked what he did on I&W.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5569 on: November 12, 2014, 07:07:09 AM »
I disagree.  Kev at that time checked out knowing he was leaving.  When that album came out, I felt it lacked what he did on I&W.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5570 on: November 12, 2014, 07:15:25 AM »

This, but I also happen to think that some of the patches and sounds used on that album were quite grating. Ear piercing even. Comparing Erotomania, to the keyboard tone he used in the Awake Demos... I really wish they had stuck with what they used for the demo.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5571 on: November 12, 2014, 07:35:59 AM »
Actually, Derek has come a LONG way since leaving DT.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was better at recreating some of JR's stuff than many think. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5572 on: November 12, 2014, 07:36:29 AM »

So it is a controversial opinion. ;) Anyway, I basically can not imagine how the Awake songs could sound better than how he already did it. Let's not judge it by Kevin's disposition at the time, let's judge it by the music itself. Can you imagine a better keys for the distinct sound he made in CIAW? The Mirror? Scarred? Lifting Shadows? I agree that Erotomania could be better, but it's because of all the Awake songs, it's the only one that sounds more I&W than Awake.

« Reply #5573 on: November 12, 2014, 07:48:35 AM »
Actually, Derek has come a LONG way since leaving DT.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was better at recreating some of JR's stuff than many think.
Didn't know that. Still, he was one of the band's shortest lived members, and this was almost 20 years ago, so I highly doubt bringing him back would be an immediate, automatic decision on their part.

So it is a controversial opinion. ;) Anyway, I basically can not imagine how the Awake songs could sound better than how he already did it. Let's not judge it by Kevin's disposition at the time, let's judge it by the music itself. Can you imagine a better keys for the distinct sound he made in CIAW? The Mirror? Scarred? Lifting Shadows? I agree that Erotomania could be better, but it's because of all the Awake songs, it's the only one that sounds more I&W than Awake.

If you ask me, there's nothing that great about the keyboard parts on Awake. They're unique, sure, but that doesn't equate to great, or even good in some cases. The album is great, but its main strengths are the guitar and the vocals.

As for the highlighter statement that's... Controversial maybe, but it's just weird. Erotomania is nothing like I&W. In fact, if they keys on it sounded more like the keys on I&W, it would be so much better. All in all if you ask me, I&W is absolutely superior to Awake in terms of Keyboard parts, as well as the sounds and patches used. There's not one song on Awake where they keyboards sound better than any song on I&W.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5574 on: November 12, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »
Didn't know that. Still, he was one of the band's shortest lived members, and this was almost 20 years ago, so I highly doubt bringing him back would be an immediate, automatic decision on their part.
Check out Planet X.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5575 on: November 12, 2014, 09:06:51 AM »

If you ask me, there's nothing that great about the keyboard parts on Awake. They're unique, sure, but that doesn't equate to great, or even good in some cases. The album is great, but its main strengths are the guitar and the vocals.

This.  And I will take it one step further and say that the keyboards flat out ruined some of the songs on Awake. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5576 on: November 12, 2014, 10:04:26 AM »

This.  And I will take it one step further and say that the keyboards flat out ruined some of the songs on Awake.

I completely agree. The keyboard parts are a big reason why Awake is lower on my list than most people. Kevin's parts on WDaDU and I&W are fantastic, but he's the weak link on Awake.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

« Reply #5577 on: November 12, 2014, 10:12:33 AM »

I completely agree. The keyboard parts are a big reason why Awake is lower on my list than most people. Kevin's parts on WDaDU and I&W are fantastic, but he's the weak link on Awake.

Which is completely understandable, given where he was (or wasn't) mentally at that point.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5578 on: November 12, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
Of the three keyboard players, KM had the best idea of what to put under a heavy section, and still positively add to it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5579 on: November 12, 2014, 11:12:32 AM »
Of the three keyboard players, KM had the best idea of what to put under a heavy section, and still positively add to it.

I STRONGLY disagree.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5580 on: November 12, 2014, 11:16:31 AM »
Interesting. Care to elaborate?
In my opinion, KM was smart enough to realize that it's a futile exercise to compete with JP in the heavy sections, so he rather worked on adding an interesting new dimension to the part. JR often doubles the guitar line, which is totally pointless.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline lithium112

« Reply #5581 on: November 12, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »
KM was pretty inconsistent in this department IMO. For example, the keyboards in The Mirror are great, but I really don't like what he does in CiaW and Lie. I would go so far as to say the keyboard ruins the latter two.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5582 on: November 12, 2014, 12:07:22 PM »
Those are great examples (although I quite like Lie despite KM's keyboards).  Those parts keyboard parts actively interfere with my enjoyment of those songs. 

I like most of Jordan's work, whether it be on heavy parts or not.  And he does far more than simply double the guitar whenever there is a heavy part.  For example, I was just listening to Outcry, and there is a heavy section on the verse before the instrumental break where Jordan is doing some really cool atmospheric stuff that is far from simply doubling.  However, even when he is doubling the guitar, I often find that his parts enhance the song.

« Reply #5583 on: November 12, 2014, 12:34:39 PM »
Those are great examples (although I quite like Lie despite KM's keyboards).  Those parts keyboard parts actively interfere with my enjoyment of those songs.
Agreed oh so much.

Erotomania is still my primary example of bad keyboards on Awake. Both Derek and Jordan, when playing it live, used much more pleasant patches for those organs.

I like most of Jordan's work, whether it be on heavy parts or not.  And he does far more than simply double the guitar whenever there is a heavy part.  For example, I was just listening to Outcry, and there is a heavy section on the verse before the instrumental break where Jordan is doing some really cool atmospheric stuff that is far from simply doubling.  However, even when he is doubling the guitar, I often find that his parts enhance the song.

Agreed with this as well. The thing is, sometimes you don't need some atmosphere in the background, or a whole separate melody line underneath. Sometimes the guitar just needs to do its thing, and let the audience appreciate the verses. And yeah, Jordan's Snarling Pig thing doesn't completely change the song, but the thing is, if a person doesn't notice it anyway, then it doesn't take away from anything. Otherwise, it just adds a little more meat to the guitar sound without taking away from what the actual riff is. And people who aren't aware that it's something he does, might not even realize he's doing anything at all, which is the best part of the whole thing.
But yeah, there are plenty of times when Jordan either lays down great atmosphere, As I Am being my favorite example. And others where he just does something totally different, and kind of cool and funky, such as on OTBOA.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5584 on: November 12, 2014, 01:11:11 PM »
And others where he just does something totally different, and kind of cool and funky, such as on OTBOA.

Well, interestingly, I think a lot of what he does on OTBOA is very reminiscent of KM's playing on PMU.  I couldn't tell you if they are actually similar in musical terms.  But they have a similar vibe and feel.

« Reply #5585 on: November 12, 2014, 02:13:19 PM »
And others where he just does something totally different, and kind of cool and funky, such as on OTBOA.

Well, interestingly, I think a lot of what he does on OTBOA is very reminiscent of KM's playing on PMU.  I couldn't tell you if they are actually similar in musical terms.  But they have a similar vibe and feel.

Hmm... Yeah, I get what you're saying, it's underneath, and verry staccato in its style. But hey, let's not start making any more comparisons between I&W and ADTOE, lol.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5586 on: November 12, 2014, 02:23:19 PM »
Hey, if they are fair comparisons, I don't see why not make them.  :dunno: 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5587 on: November 12, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »
But I liked the keyboards in CIAW and Lie. It sounds like some late Beatles stuff on a heavy metal song.

« Reply #5588 on: November 12, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
But I liked the keyboards in CIAW and Lie. It sounds like some late Beatles stuff on a heavy metal song.

Well, like I said, my biggest problem are the keyboards on Erotomania and 6:00. CIAW... They're more tolerable, or at least, I got used to them enough to enjoy them, but even that took a while. And yeah, Lie I enjoy.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5589 on: November 12, 2014, 03:15:40 PM »
I have another controversial opinion. Awake aged much better than IaW. I rarely listen to IaW now and when I do, I still enjoy it but with the awareness that it sounds so much like a late 80s early 90s record. It wears the timestamp of its era. LtL in particular sounds so dated, it's very much a product of its time.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5590 on: November 12, 2014, 03:53:42 PM »

Well, like I said, my biggest problem are the keyboards on Erotomania and 6:00. CIAW... They're more tolerable, or at least, I got used to them enough to enjoy them, but even that took a while. And yeah, Lie I enjoy.

What's the problem with the keys on 6:00? The only "weak" portion I can think of is the chorus, but I think it's more of the function of the chorus being the weak portion of the song. The keys in the intro are great, jived sonwell with the groove set by MP.

« Reply #5591 on: November 12, 2014, 03:59:08 PM »
I have another controversial opinion. Awake aged much better than IaW. I rarely listen to IaW now and when I do, I still enjoy it but with the awareness that it sounds so much like a late 80s early 90s record. It wears the timestamp of its era. LtL in particular sounds so dated, it's very much a product of its time.

Maybe the album itself yeah, definitely has a distinct 90s sound, as it's mixed and mastered and all that. But the songs themselves, I think aged much better than on Awake. For example, hearing them live, they don't sound any more dated than anything on Awake. Metropolis, I would say has stood the test of time better than any other DT song from the 90s.

What's the problem with the keys on 6:00? The only "weak" portion I can think of is the chorus, but I think it's more of the function of the chorus being the weak portion of the song. The keys in the intro are great, jived sonwell with the groove set by MP.

I just find them annoying. The composition is okay, and if anything, I like the organs on the Chorus, it's the opening riff where they keys are just grating.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5592 on: November 12, 2014, 04:51:26 PM »
I&W kinda has more interesting compositions imo, but sounds a bit thin overall on certain elements like the production compared to the monstrous Awake.

As a result, I&W I'm more likely to listen to an individual song, Awake I'm more likely to listen as a whole. I've mostly put both albums in fairly similar regard though as they were some of the last albums I got from the band too.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #5593 on: November 12, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »
I think JR is more hit and miss because 1.) he's more experimental and 2.) he plays more notes - waywayWAY more notes. He plays various patches on pretty much every measure of music, which is something KM and DS did not do. I think JR is just as good at playing "atmospherically" as KM was, but I think JR sometimes just diminishes those performances by playing so many other things, too. Train of Thought has some great string and synth sounds going which complement the heaviness just as well as anything KM did, but it also features all these flukey bells and whistles and, say, "gargling" noises.

« Reply #5594 on: November 12, 2014, 05:36:07 PM »
I&W kinda has more interesting compositions imo, but sounds a bit thin overall on certain elements like the production compared to the monstrous Awake.

As a result, I&W I'm more likely to listen to an individual song, Awake I'm more likely to listen as a whole. I've mostly put both albums in fairly similar regard though as they were some of the last albums I got from the band too.

Yeah, but I always judge an album based on its compositions rather than how it's mixed. I mean, you might think I&W sounds thin (and depending on my mood, sometimes I do find it a little thin to my taste), but you put on a song like Pull Me Under or Metropolis from one of their live recordings, and that wonderful, large, full sound is there. Especially the Score version of Metropolis, with the orchestra backing it. The first time I heard it, I didn't know they had a live orchestra, and I just couldn't place it. I was like, "My God, this sounds beyond amazing. What did they do!?"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5595 on: November 12, 2014, 05:52:24 PM »
Yeah agreed, infact it was after hearing some of the live versions of I&W songs that I gained more appreciation for the material because I could hear more detail in the expression of certain sounds. Well, I suppose that's something that happens with any live version.

I also judge on the music first, hell I rank WDADU higher than most and the production doesn't bother me on that. BUT, the mixing can effect my decision to listen to a whole album as a single experience. Because I'd have to retain a more consistently open mindset when appreciating it, which is.. I dunno.. more effort?  :lol If an album has nice production, I can just take it at face value instead of trying to appreciate those other details and having to deliberately judge it on those merits because you're trying to ignore some kind of off putting production.

Of course, I&W is probably a poor example to use for describing this because it's production is relatively not that bad. And the songwriting itself is still more important than how it's actually crafted. But I do think the production does have a significant effect on the overall listening experience. Hope I'm making sense here.  :P

« Reply #5596 on: November 12, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »
I find that on I&W, the production is a lot more "Rock" oriented. The keyboards are really loud and prevalent, and the guitar doesn't sound all that heavy. Like, when DT first came out, and became all popular, and everyone was so impressed by them, they always made the comparison of having the progressive and melodic touch of bands like Rush, Yes, etc. but with the heavy riffs of Metallica, but I&W was so heavy on the keyboards, that I didn't get a "Metallica" sense from any of its riffs, because everything was so clean and pristine, and laced with keyboards, that I&W really does come off more like a Prog Rock album, rather than a Prog Metal album. But yeah, with Awake, those riffs... I can feel them right in my loins.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5597 on: November 12, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
Well, I find that *I* am more "Rock" oriented, and that when people think about me, they can feel it right in their loins.  Just sayin'.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5598 on: November 12, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »

I STRONGLY disagree.

Ditto. I find some of the stuff he does in Lie obnoxious, and a lot of the heavy sections are the same synth strings. I think Awake has the least diverse keys of DT's albums.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #5599 on: November 12, 2014, 08:28:24 PM »
I've always thought JLB's always looked really fat.