Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991962 times)

Offline Rodni Demental

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #5530 on: November 09, 2014, 05:50:10 PM »
While writing the "future review" in the time capsule thread, it struck me that DT is, IMO, following a very similar trajectory with ADTOE->DT12 as they were with 8V->SC->BCSL.

I'd be up for another BC&SL at this point. Not identically, but I always enjoyed the longer songs. They have more replay value. And I probably like BC&SL more than most so that'd be win.  :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5531 on: November 09, 2014, 05:50:36 PM »
All he is talking about "IS" the sound.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5532 on: November 09, 2014, 08:07:52 PM »
All he is talking about "IS" the sound.

That phrase is the complete tsunami of shit.

Funny story, when I first read that, it didn't make sense, so now my sarcastic response is meaningless. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5533 on: November 09, 2014, 09:25:35 PM »
While writing the "future review" in the time capsule thread, it struck me that DT is, IMO, following a very similar trajectory with ADTOE->DT12 as they were with 8V->SC->BCSL.

Are you then suggesting that a lineup change may occur after the next album?!?!? Hummm...I wonder who will leave...

I don't know, interesting hypothesis. I think you could rule out MM (only recently joined) and JP (he's the main guy), JLB would strike me as unlikely too. That leaves JM and JR, both of whom (for different reasons) I could imagine maybe not being too hot about the brutal touring schedule anymore.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5534 on: November 09, 2014, 10:59:50 PM »
I don't know, interesting hypothesis. I think you could rule out MM (only recently joined) and JP (he's the main guy), JLB would strike me as unlikely too. That leaves JM and JR, both of whom (for different reasons) I could imagine maybe not being too hot about the brutal touring schedule anymore.

That reminds me. Who was it that we had on here, that very confidently predicted that JR will leave the band within the next 5 years?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online Skeever

« Reply #5535 on: November 10, 2014, 02:48:03 PM »
I didn't appreciate Octavarium much when it came out, but these days I think it'd be a welcomed change.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #5536 on: November 10, 2014, 03:11:59 PM »

That reminds me. Who was it that we had on here, that very confidently predicted that JR will leave the band within the next 5 years?

That was me. JR isn't a fan of the music he makes and for someone as creative and inspired as him, that's a death knell. He'll be gone by 2016, sadly.   He just loves prog too much and doesn't like metal or DT's brand of music. :(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5537 on: November 10, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »
Or he uses DT as a springboard to get his prog solo albums sold.  Win/Win for both.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5538 on: November 10, 2014, 03:54:18 PM »
Why would he continue playing with DT for the entirety of their RR era if he doesn't like the metal DT? It's not like he hasn't had independent sources of income or opportunities to do whatever he likes in the past few years at least. He's become a household name pretty early in his career with DT so it's not like he *needs* them.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5539 on: November 10, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »
How was his albums selling before he joined DT?  I think we all know the answer.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5540 on: November 10, 2014, 04:12:01 PM »
Why would he continue playing with DT for the entirety of their RR era if he doesn't like the metal DT? It's not like he hasn't had independent sources of income or opportunities to do whatever he likes in the past few years at least. He's become a household name pretty early in his career with DT so it's not like he *needs* them.

Well, but somebody on the Internet said he is going to leave the band, so I'm not sure why you insist on disbelieving.  That seems pretty narrow-minded.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5541 on: November 10, 2014, 04:14:38 PM »
You can believe everything you read on the internet. 

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #5542 on: November 10, 2014, 04:20:56 PM »

That was me. JR isn't a fan of the music he makes and for someone as creative and inspired as him, that's a death knell. He'll be gone by 2016, sadly.   He just loves prog too much and doesn't like metal or DT's brand of music. :(

He's been in a progresive metal band for fifteen years now. What leap in logic convinces you that he doesn't like playing metal, given that he joined DT in the first place? By that logic he would have left the band with ToT.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5543 on: November 10, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »

He's been in a progresive metal band for fifteen years now. What leap in logic convinces you that he doesn't like playing metal, given that he joined DT in the first place? By that logic he would have left the band with ToT 8 times over already after SFAM, Six Degrees, TOT, Octavarium, SC, BCSL, ADTOE, and DT12.

Fixed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5544 on: November 10, 2014, 04:51:50 PM »
How was his albums selling before he joined DT?  I think we all know the answer.
Yeah, but his current sales would probably not see a dent in them after leaving DT. Plus, he's done far more than just prog solo albums these days and his piano stuff in particular has crossover appeal.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5545 on: November 10, 2014, 05:14:09 PM »
That I agree but he was a big presence when MP left.  I just don't think he's going anywhere.  Plus DT is touring less freeing him to pursue his music.

Online Skeever

« Reply #5546 on: November 10, 2014, 05:34:07 PM »
JR has been pretty honest in the past and in the Lifting Shadows book that metal isn't really his thing. He's obviously happy enough in DT though.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #5547 on: November 10, 2014, 05:48:09 PM »
JR has been pretty honest in the past and in the Lifting Shadows book that metal isn't really his thing. He's obviously happy enough in DT though.

So that means JR is 'Along for the Ride'
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5548 on: November 10, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »
I think JR is smart enough to know that DT is the only professional prog band out there, and that without the exposure he gets through them, he couldn't do half of his side projects either.
DT might not be his 100% type of music (and I actually doubt he'd listen to them if he weren't in the band), but he knows he's quite lucky to be in the position he is and what it allows him to do.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5549 on: November 11, 2014, 06:05:57 AM »
JR isn't a fan of the music he makes and for someone as creative and inspired as him, that's a death knell. He'll be gone by 2016, sadly.   He just loves prog too much and doesn't like metal or DT's brand of music. :(
No.

To pretty much that entire post.

Oh sorry, this is the CONTROVERSIAL opinion thread.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5550 on: November 11, 2014, 07:04:45 AM »
I think JR is smart enough to know that DT is the only professional prog band out there, and that without the exposure he gets through them, he couldn't do half of his side projects either.
DT might not be his 100% type of music (and I actually doubt he'd listen to them if he weren't in the band), but he knows he's quite lucky to be in the position he is and what it allows him to do.

Yeah pretty much this. DT allows JR the flexibility and has provided him with the stability to do a number of other great things, side projects, solo projects, music software development, etc... And besides, he clearly enjoys the music they make together even if it may not be his favorite style of music.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5551 on: November 11, 2014, 07:29:45 AM »

Are you then suggesting that a lineup change may occur after the next album?!?!? Hummm...I wonder who will leave...

Why would you rule out MM?  What has he stuck with - besides the instrument itself - for any significant period of time?   There are rumblings that the touring is more than he expected (which doesn't imply "better than" he expected), so I don't see any reason to rule him out of anything at this point.

For XBOBX, I would also love to know how we know that JR doesn't like the music he is creating?   Is there an interview or source for this?  Or is this just more wild speculation?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5552 on: November 11, 2014, 08:45:07 AM »
Why would you rule out MM?  What has he stuck with - besides the instrument itself - for any significant period of time?   There are rumblings that the touring is more than he expected (which doesn't imply "better than" he expected), so I don't see any reason to rule him out of anything at this point.

I hadn't heard those "rumblings", but in general, he was so *desperate* (and a friend who went to Berklee confirms it) to be with a touring band, he isn't gonna chuck it after 2 albums (or 3) and go back being a teacher.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #5553 on: November 11, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
Why would you rule out MM?  What has he stuck with - besides the instrument itself - for any significant period of time?   There are rumblings that the touring is more than he expected (which doesn't imply "better than" he expected), so I don't see any reason to rule him out of anything at this point
Seeing how overzealous he was after joining DT, I was really surprised to hear even a hint of dissatisfaction from his part, but it happened. Still, I don't see him ditching DT any time soon and the guys certainly wouldn't want to bring MP back.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5554 on: November 11, 2014, 09:38:42 AM »

lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

« Reply #5555 on: November 11, 2014, 11:41:58 AM »
For XBOBX, I would also love to know how we know that JR doesn't like the music he is creating?   Is there an interview or source for this?  Or is this just more wild speculation?

He can read minds of musicians, obviously. But only while they're playing.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #5556 on: November 11, 2014, 01:17:05 PM »
I thought this was supposed to be an "OPINIONS" thread, not a "RUMORS AND GOSSIP" thread!!!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

« Reply #5557 on: November 11, 2014, 02:22:59 PM »
I thought this was supposed to be an "OPINIONS" thread, not a "RUMORS AND GOSSIP" thread!!!

What are you saying? That we need one of those?

Offline lumpy33

« Reply #5558 on: November 11, 2014, 07:23:59 PM »
let rudess go if he wants to.  i for one would LOVE to see derek back with the band.  i loved his style of keyboard work for the short time he was with them. 

controversial enough?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5559 on: November 11, 2014, 07:46:09 PM »
Nobody in the band is going anywhere, people.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #5560 on: November 11, 2014, 08:04:07 PM »

This but...

let rudess go if he wants to.  i for one would LOVE to see derek back with the band.  i loved his style of keyboard work for the short time he was with them. 

controversial enough?

...but if Rudess did quit, I really wouldn't hold my breath for Derek being back in the band. Frankly, Rudess really elevated the level of complexity and musicianship when he joined the band, and I'm hard pressed to think of a keyboard player who could play Rudess' parts. But even if they did find one, I highly doubt it would be Derek. And even if they agreed to settle for someone not as insanely fast as Rudess, it has been a really long time since Derek has been in the band, so not only is there any evidence that he'd even be interested in coming back, I don't even think the band would think of him right away. I mean, it wouldn't be natural like, "Oh, let's just ask Derek to come back." People change, relationships change. They might not have musical chemistry anymore. Or he might be in a different place creatively, or maybe they really would like someone as fast as Rudess. Either way, Derek coming back into the band would probably be only slightly more likely than Kevin Moore coming back into the band.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5561 on: November 11, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »

controversial enough?

Well, not too controversial.  I liked DS a lot too but he was just a temporary hired gun and filled in nicely until the opportunity came again for JR.  DS didn't really mesh very well with the complex technicality of JP's playing.  Not to take anything away from DS.  He was and still is a great keyboard player, but I think JR is better for the overall sound of their arrangements.  I still dig listening to the short DS era of DT and I also have some of his solo work too.  Good stuff.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline 425

« Reply #5562 on: November 11, 2014, 09:43:26 PM »
I think Derek's style was great for the type of music they did on Falling Into Infinity. He seemed almost jazzy on that album and played a lot of organ which really played into the whole vibe. He also laid down one of the best keyboard solos in the band's entire discography on Trial of Tears. No, he wouldn't work out for them at all now, but I would say he was a little more than a hired gun on FII.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5563 on: November 11, 2014, 10:06:33 PM »

I believe that was the exact sentiment right before MP left. Just saying.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5564 on: November 11, 2014, 10:09:57 PM »
I think Derek's style was great for the type of music they did on Falling Into Infinity. He seemed almost jazzy on that album and played a lot of organ which really played into the whole vibe. He also laid down one of the best keyboard solos in the band's entire discography on Trial of Tears. No, he wouldn't work out for them at all now, but I would say he was a little more than a hired gun on FII.
Derek is the highlight of FII. That album wouldn't have been nearly as good without him.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods