Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991691 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #5285 on: August 11, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »
Let's go back to acting. In Freddy vs Jason, at the end, Monica Keena says she isn't leaving til she sees Freddy die. She looks mad, sounds mad, but her overacting kills all believability. Maybe that's similar to the MP argument. If not, screw you, I'm going to bed.

Are you REALLY expecting quality acting-or quality ANYTHING -in a movie like that?
I'm imagining that the director's (only) instructions to the actors to be something like "Live bad and die bloody!"
As for a movie in which the two killers fight, I'm likening it to a "Godzilla vs..." movie, in which we're REALLY not expected to care about the other characters because hey...it's a MONSTER fight!!!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #5286 on: August 11, 2014, 02:51:20 PM »
You always have to pick apart everything I say-
No I don't.

Name a time when you didn't.

Or agreed with anything I said.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5287 on: August 11, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »
Let's go back to acting. In Freddy vs Jason, at the end, Monica Keena says she isn't leaving til she sees Freddy die. She looks mad, sounds mad, but her overacting kills all believability. Maybe that's similar to the MP argument. If not, screw you, I'm going to bed.

Are you REALLY expecting quality acting-or quality ANYTHING -in a movie like that?
I'm imagining the the director's (only) instructions to the actors to be something like "Live bad and die bloody!"
As for a movie in which the two killers fight, I'm likening it to a "Godzilla vs..." movie, in which we're REALLY not expected to care about the other characters because hey...it's a MONSTER fight!!!

For a movie stuck in develpoment hell for 10 years, yes, I was expecting so much more. Instead we got FrankenJason, Sir Grinsalot, a director who had no idea about the characters, CGI blood, I could go on. Wrong thread though. God I hate that movie.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #5288 on: August 11, 2014, 03:09:04 PM »
I keep hearing rumors about a sequel, but I guess that one has already been stuck in development hell for MORE that ten years.

I don't know...I think the whole thing is really getting bizarre, what with all of the sequals and remakes, and sequels to remakes...
it's getting harder and harder to tell which is which.

Speaking of which: there are/were supposed to be remakes of "Hellraiser" and "Highlander" BOTH of which I would be looking forward to, but...

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5289 on: August 11, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »
While I would agree That there are times when Mike P.'s singing boarders on parody, there other times when I think he has sounded as good as or better than the other singers named here.
I never cared for Nirvana in general, or Curt Cobain in specific. Same pretty much goes for Springsteen.
Roger Waters is pretty much hit and miss with me. He sounded pretty good on "S.o.Y.C.D." and MOST of "Animals," but I wish David Gilmour had done more (lead) vocals on that album. I liked his vocal parts on "The Wall," But he kind of crapped out on "The Final Cut," In more ways than one. Gilmour should have had a LOT more input on THAT album! On the other hand, Waters not being there for the LAST two albums made them sound-for me at least-somehow incomplete.
I don't think I agree about Mike P. not being able to do lead vocals for a band. There always were, are and will be MUCH worse singers than him. He should try it and see what happens. But I would agree that most of his strengths are in other areas.
As for Dave Mustaine, while I agree that he doesn't have the greatest voice in the world, I like a lot of what Megadeth has put out, and I can't imagine anyone BUT him singing HIS songs.

The thing is, the only singers I've heard that are worse, at least had something unique and interesting about their voices. I find that MP's singing voice in itself is fairly generic. I guess if a band really didn't care about their vocals and just wanted them to kind ot be 'there', he'd be okay. But I probably wouldn't listen to that band.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #5290 on: August 12, 2014, 05:02:01 PM »
Here's some more controversy for you: I think that anyone who buys the "Studio Albums" boxed set-unless they don't already have all or most of those discs-is wasting their money!

Now..I WILL admit that I'm NOT much of a collector, If I buy something like that, it would pretty much be for the ENTERTAINMENT value only, not as an investment that I expected to make money off of later.

But I would have done it differently. I would have compiled an odds and ends collection of things that either don't exist any where else and/or things we can only get from YtseJam. Such as:

-ALL of the unreleased tracks from FII

-At least SOME of the Majesty demos

-Audio (CD) versions of the "Covers" series such as "Dark Side" (Pink Floyd) "Beast" (Iron Maiden) "Puppets" (Metallica) and the "Uncovered 2003-2005" disc.

-BOTH of the studio versions of "To Live Forever" (Charlie version/James version)

Now, I realize That it might be too expensive and inconvenient to cram all of what I-and everybody else-would want into ONE big package, so maybe it could be spread out over two or three  "boxes" Also might want to include some Visual materiel, such as the "Rite of Passage" video, and The "Once in a LiveTime" concert, and/or some other, unreleased live footage.

Of course I know I'm going to hear at least a hundred different reasons why this couldn't be done, but I can dream, can't I?

Other than that, I just want to say that I think it's too SOON to be putting out the box set the way they did. They should have waited a few years like Led Zeppelin, or The Police with that "Message in a Box" thing.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:07:41 PM by chaossystem »

« Reply #5291 on: August 12, 2014, 05:07:13 PM »
Here's some more controversy for you: I think that anyone who buys the "Studio Albums" boxed set-unless they don't already have all or most of those discs-is wasting their money!

While I completely agree with your reasoning and your whole argument, it really depends on the reason why they buy the box set, doesn't it? I mean, I was considering buying it simply because my DT CDs are starting to show a little bit of wear and tear on them and I'd like to have a mint condition DT discography. I already have 2 copies of ADTOE and SC just so that I have some that are in immaculate condition, and have been considering picking up another copy of SFAM for the same reason. And maybe another copy of Awake, since I've seen it for $5. Point is, I might just buy the new box set to make sure I always have mint condition DT albums. But not anytime soon, because money's tight and there's PLENTY of other DT stuff I'd rather buy first.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5292 on: August 12, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »
Unless they are lesser quality CD's from the 80's, (thank you record companies) I would never buy a box set unless 2 things.

1.  I never owned them on CD before.

2.  Bonus material.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #5293 on: August 12, 2014, 05:12:35 PM »
Right!...

...I guess I forgot to ad "Or if all your old copies are worn out."

I guess it IS a good idea to make sure you have them in good condition, either before they become unavailable or the prices skyrocket.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #5294 on: August 12, 2014, 05:19:35 PM »
Glad you brought that up "king"

I probably wouldn't buy a "best of" or box set unless there were a few decent unreleased tracks either. Such as I learned the hard way with that "Greatest Hit" thing. I only bought it because of "To Live Forever," but some of the edits on there are just plain awful!
Especially on "Home" You can pretty much HEAR the TAPE being CUT! Probably with a dull, rusty BUTTER knife!

But Black Sabbath's "The Dio Years" had a couple of decent new songs on it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:51:33 PM by chaossystem »

« Reply #5295 on: August 12, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »
I thought DT's Greatest Hit CD had enough unique stuff on it to be well worth owning.
Particularly I'm grateful to have I Walk Beside You without the clock tick at the beginning of it, The Answer Lies Within without the forest sounds at the beginning, and of course, Sacrificed Sons without the terrorist jibber jabber at the beginning.

All the other stuff on there that's different is also cool, just listening to the SDOIT in slightly different edits is a welcome change, as well as the remixes of I&W songs.

Frankly, as far as Compilation albums go, I'd say DT did it right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5296 on: August 12, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »
That's not (never) enough for me.  Not worth blowing all that money on those little nuances.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #5297 on: August 12, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »

All the other stuff on there that's different is also cool, just listening to the SDOIT in slightly different edits is a welcome change, as well as the remixes of I&W songs.

Another thing that was a big disappointment: I really DIDN'T notice ANY differences in the "Remixed" songs.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5298 on: August 12, 2014, 08:29:59 PM »
I thought DT's Greatest Hit CD had enough unique stuff on it to be well worth owning.
Particularly I'm grateful to have I Walk Beside You without the clock tick at the beginning of it, The Answer Lies Within without the forest sounds at the beginning, and of course, Sacrificed Sons without the terrorist jibber jabber at the beginning.

Frankly, as far as Compilation albums go, I'd say DT did it right.

I think it's interesting enough to see the different versions of the songs. Most of the edits I can deal with, except about two... Solitary Shell cuts out the solo and instrumental section, probably because it didn't work as well without the context of the rest of the suite or something, but way to ruin a song by cutting out some of the best bits. Same goes for Lie, it doesn't go into The Mirror reprise and therefore never gets around to the second guitar solo (the better one imo).

I can actually deal with the shorter version of Home, that song feels a bit bloated sometimes anyway but I do miss the intro riff playing out a bit longer. And Through Her Eyes with sax is fairly interesting.

Another thing that was a big disappointment: I really DIDN'T notice ANY differences in the "Remixed" songs.

Haha, it took me a long time to notice the changes in these "remixes" but that's because there aren't many. It's all in dynamics of the mix. Certain things stand out a bit more (some of the keyboard leads, most of the guitar tracks), certain things blend with the background a bit more than before (bass), a bit of compression to make the tracks 'louder'. Different trigger samples used on MPs snare and kick drum. I think that's all they did unless there's any features I've missed that someone else has noticed.

« Reply #5299 on: August 12, 2014, 08:52:19 PM »
I think it's interesting enough to see the different versions of the songs. Most of the edits I can deal with, except about two... Solitary Shell cuts out the solo and instrumental section, probably because it didn't work as well without the context of the rest of the suite or something, but way to ruin a song by cutting out some of the best bits. Same goes for Lie, it doesn't go into The Mirror reprise and therefore never gets around to the second guitar solo (the better one imo).

Well, I agree with the Solitary Shell, that instrumental section was damn awesome, but it leads right into the next section, and sometimes it's nice to listen to a version of Solitary Shell that doesn't just cut off at the end.

As for Lie, I'll have to disagree. Personally, I never thought that ending Mirror reprise section added anything, and when listening to Lie on its own, I go with the Single version all the way.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #5300 on: August 12, 2014, 09:56:34 PM »
I think the Mirror reprise before the solo is amazing, i almost never listen to the songs separately and it just fits so well with how the solo starts. Without it, I feel the flow is ruined.

Offline Cable

« Reply #5301 on: August 12, 2014, 10:10:16 PM »

The triggered snare is no more, and the tracks are louder. That on the surface is not a big difference, and if going in thinking so would be a disappointment. There are very subtle things I guess.

The bigger disappointment for me is JM not playing the now noticeable bass harmonics in PMU live yet!  :-\
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:17:06 PM by CableX 1814 »
---

« Reply #5302 on: August 12, 2014, 10:29:35 PM »
The triggered snare is no more, and the tracks are louder. That on the surface is not a big difference, and if going in thinking so would be a disappointment. There are very subtle things I guess.

The bigger disappointment for me is JM not playing the now noticeable bass harmonics in PMU live yet!  :-\

Yeah, when I originally saw that they were "2007" versions, I assumed the band re-recorded the whole songs in-studio from scratch. And the drum sound helped cement that theory, but then once I listened to the guitars, and particularly the vocals, I was like, "Wait, that's the same as I&W." I was disappointed at first, but now, I think it still sounds different enough to give a fresh experience every once in a while.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5303 on: August 13, 2014, 12:18:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the remixes of the I&W songs on that collection, but I like pretty much everything else.  Even the Home edit.  I mean, I prefer the original, but that edit is a pretty tasty morsel, IMHO.

The problem with the collection is that there is no representation of the epic side of their music.  I would have preferred if something like that was included rather than those unnecessary I&W remixes, or I Walk Beside You.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5304 on: August 13, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »
Who did the remixes?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5305 on: August 13, 2014, 02:31:56 PM »
Who did the remixes?
I don't have it right in front of me, but I'm thinking it was Kevin Shirley.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5306 on: August 13, 2014, 03:41:08 PM »
I can't listen to the remixes mostly because of the snare. It feels flat, out of place. And that weird effect they put on James' voice, which makes it sound as if he's singing flat.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5307 on: August 13, 2014, 03:59:01 PM »
Who did the remixes?
I don't have it right in front of me, but I'm thinking it was Kevin Shirley.

That's correct.

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5308 on: August 13, 2014, 07:44:39 PM »
I can't listen to the remixes mostly because of the snare. It feels flat, out of place. And that weird effect they put on James' voice, which makes it sound as if he's singing flat.

There's an effect on James' voice that's different to I&W mix? I've never noticed this, sounds curious.

« Reply #5309 on: August 13, 2014, 07:47:16 PM »
There's an effect on James' voice that's different to I&W mix? I've never noticed this, sounds curious.

I couldn't hear it. In fact, that was the one striking thing about them, how "samey" James' voice is... Which makes sense, since it's a part of the same recording.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5310 on: August 14, 2014, 12:52:36 AM »
JLB's voice sounds grittier to me on the remix in sections, like there's less reverb on his voice, and some bits sound more double tracked. It has more clarity than the original studio version. Completely different vocal production that brings out different elements of his voice.
I do much prefer the original versions though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5311 on: August 14, 2014, 08:56:22 AM »
I agree 100% about the snare.  That's the main reason I rarely listen to those versions.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5312 on: August 14, 2014, 11:36:03 AM »
I think of myself as a big DT fan but not once did it ever cross my mind to by the Greatest Hit.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:36:19 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5313 on: August 14, 2014, 12:24:37 PM »
I actually bought the Greatest Hits about five years ago. It's not that I regret doing so, but I don't cheerish this possession of mine particularly.  :lol

It would have been interesting to see MP's picks for the Epic Side, though.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5314 on: August 14, 2014, 02:39:39 PM »
I think of myself as a big DT fan but not one did it ever cross my mind to by the Greatest Hit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5315 on: August 14, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »
I think of myself as a big DT fan but not once did it ever cross my mind to by the Greatest Hit.

FTFY since I can't spell. :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5316 on: August 14, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »
BUY

I bought it because collections.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5317 on: August 14, 2014, 04:23:48 PM »
I just can't pull the trigger Zook.  I have it all and still reading others post the tweets aren't worth much.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5318 on: August 14, 2014, 04:46:55 PM »
I just can't pull the trigger Zook.  I have it all and still reading others post the tweets aren't worth much.

So you can't spell BUY correctly or you can't buy Greatest Hit?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5319 on: August 14, 2014, 04:50:56 PM »
 :lol :facepalm:

That too. :lol