Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 990772 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #5215 on: August 09, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »
I have the feeling this might be a bit unpopular but after recently revisiting SDOIT, I've come to the conclusion that JP's solo in Misunderstood is one of his best ever.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #5216 on: August 09, 2014, 11:58:08 AM »
I have the feeling this might be a bit unpopular but after recently revisiting SDOIT, I've come to the conclusion that JP's solo in Misunderstood is one of his best ever.
I don't know about best ever, but it's very good and extremely under-appreciated.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5217 on: August 09, 2014, 11:58:14 AM »
I personally wouldn't find it controversial to name just about any of his solos as one of his best ever. JP's consistency of solos is pretty damn impressive.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #5218 on: August 09, 2014, 12:08:08 PM »
I guess so, but I really haven't been struck by any of his solos since ToT. And that includes the ending of Octavarium, I know people go crazy over it but to me it's pretty meh. Guess that's the more controversial statement out of the two :)
Maybe I haven't just paid enough attention to his solos since I haven't been much of a fan of the songs in general and haven't listened to them very much.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5219 on: August 09, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »
That is!  I love him mixing the passion in his solos with the shredding like Octavarium.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #5220 on: August 09, 2014, 12:19:10 PM »
That is!  I love him mixing the passion in his solos with the shredding like Octavarium.

Ditto. I feel that those are among his best solos imo. LTL, The Razor's Edge, a lot of the solos in IT (that's right, I said it), and as well as on SFAM are so damn memorable.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #5221 on: August 09, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »
Some solos where Petrucci doesn't shred are among his best, I agree, like Lines in the Sand. But he has a few of pretty great shred solos, like In the Name of God or The Enemy Inside (though I'm not sure if that qualifies as shred), and some of his slower solos aren't, at least to me, not emotion-filled, but just plainly... well, boring is exaggerated, but certainly not very good or interesting - Razor's Edge being the prime example.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #5222 on: August 09, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »
WDADU is a great album, and comes close to matching much of DT's later material. I remember liking it when I last listened to it, but not this much. Charlie is not as great a vocalist as James, but he still holds his own. The guitars, particularly one of the solos in Ytse Jam, remind me of Yngwie in a good way. I do not yet know where I would rank it among their albums, but it has certainly surpassed BC&SL.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5223 on: August 09, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
The only thing I don't care for in an otherwise great song is the little solo section in Lifting Shadows Off A Dream. I love the rest of the song immensly, but that little part is boring and uninteresting. So there's at least one JP solo I don't like.

I guess it's not even really that much a solo but still.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #5224 on: August 09, 2014, 03:04:45 PM »
I do not care for the lead guitar part from ~5:45-6:23 of Sacrificed Sons. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any other examples. I DO like the lead in LSOAD; it acts as a great transition into the "He pours his soul..." bit, which is my favorite part of the song.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #5225 on: August 09, 2014, 03:14:49 PM »
LSOAD is top 5 song
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5226 on: August 09, 2014, 03:15:58 PM »
I do not care for the lead guitar part from ~5:45-6:23 of Sacrificed Sons. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any other examples. I DO like the lead in LSOAD; it acts as a great transition into the "He pours his soul..." bit, which is my favorite part of the song.

Do you have any idea why the solo is like that?  I believe is has something to do with the lyrical content.   I think the solo is a story within the story.  John is telling the story through his solo.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Randaran

« Reply #5227 on: August 09, 2014, 03:46:27 PM »
Do you have any idea why the solo is like that?  I believe is has something to do with the lyrical content.   I think the solo is a story within the story.  John is telling the story through his solo.

Are you talking about SS or LSOAD? If the former, yes, it's dissonant nature fits the heavy subject matter, but I do not care for the execution. Its low position in the mix certianly does not help.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5228 on: August 09, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »
SS and that I understand.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5229 on: August 09, 2014, 04:08:46 PM »
I never cared for SS. I think I have not listened to it in three or four years. Maybe it's time to break the silence.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Randaran

« Reply #5230 on: August 09, 2014, 07:16:21 PM »
Now that I am more familiar with the debut, I would like to post my album rankings

Awake
SDoIT
ToT
SFaM
I&W
WD&DU
SC
DT12
Octavarium
FII
ADToE
BC&SL

If YNM was removed from FII to make room for the LaB version of Hollow Years, then the ablum would be ranked between WDaDU and SC. WD&DU also shot up the ranks really quickly. I listened to it 3 or 4 times today; prior to this, I had not given the album a spin in months. I really like it now. It sounds completely different from their later stuff while providing hints of what was to come.

I never cared for SS. I think I have not listened to it in three or four years. Maybe it's time to break the silence.

You should; despite a few weak points, SS is great. The instrumental break in particular kicks ass.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5231 on: August 09, 2014, 09:08:27 PM »

Are you talking about SS or LSOAD? If the former, yes, it's dissonant nature fits the heavy subject matter, but I do not care for the execution. Its low position in the mix certianly does not help.
This. I like the idea a lot, but I think it was poorly executed.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #5232 on: August 10, 2014, 06:21:55 AM »
JLB's greatest performance of all time is from the bonus tracks of Live Scenes.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5233 on: August 10, 2014, 08:33:27 AM »

I thought this thread was supposed to be for actual opinions, not hypothetical ones. I don't believe you actually think that.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5234 on: August 10, 2014, 08:39:48 AM »

This. I like the idea a lot, but I think it was poorly executed.

I think you are both nuts.  It's jarring for a reason.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #5235 on: August 10, 2014, 08:45:02 AM »

I do like similar parts in BTL and Misunderstood. Those are the first two that come to mind, but I am sure that there are others.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5236 on: August 10, 2014, 08:50:59 AM »
Well for me, I like contrast in solos.  Not the same style all the time and the solos that work with the context of the song.

Alex Lifeson is my favorite guitarist and he has wide broad stroke with his solos.  Killing it with the hard paced "Freewill" to the emotional "Ghost Of A Chance" to the iconic, storyline of "Limelight".  None the same styles.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5237 on: August 10, 2014, 11:05:23 AM »
Well for me, I like contrast in solos.  Not the same style all the time and the solos that work with the context of the song.

Alex Lifeson is my favorite guitarist and he has wide broad stroke with his solos.  Killing it with the hard paced "Freewill" to the emotional "Ghost Of A Chance" to the iconic, storyline of "Limelight".  None the same styles.

The smoky solo on Ghost Of A Chance is  :hefdaddy
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5238 on: August 10, 2014, 11:07:08 AM »
Can you believe Tim that solo is from his demo in his studio and they couldn't reproduce it when recording the album so they used the demo solo?!  Unreal.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5239 on: August 10, 2014, 11:09:25 AM »
Can you believe Tim that solo is from his demo in his studio and they couldn't reproduce it when recording the album so they used the demo solo?!  Unreal.
Now that you mentioned it, I think I may have read that. Such a great song. One of my least favorite Rush albums though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5240 on: August 10, 2014, 11:14:36 AM »
Which brought the results on Counterparts which I love.

So, while others have a problem with the execution of that part of the solo, I do not.  When have you heard JP think out of the box like that?  Misunderstood is another great styling for a solo from him.  You have to keep it fresh as a guitarist, think outside the box.  It don't mean every solo but variety is the spice f life.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5241 on: August 10, 2014, 11:18:32 AM »
Which brought the results on Counterparts which I love.

So do I.

Any chance Ghost was left over from Presto? It sounds and feels like a Presto type tune.

I love Presto BTW.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5242 on: August 10, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »
No, same producer from Presto.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5243 on: August 10, 2014, 01:09:26 PM »
I thought this thread was supposed to be for actual opinions, not hypothetical ones. I don't believe you actually think that.
I wouldn't take anything XBOBX says too seriously... I have a feeling he's just trolling most of the time. :P

He lost the little credibility he had after this post:
I don't like Rush. Too much musical wankery, not enough soul. I don't care if they can play a million notes a minute if they can't write a decent song. And using a 20 minute song with a million time signature changes can't replace emotion.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:31:52 PM by ? »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5244 on: August 10, 2014, 01:25:34 PM »
I understand that. I like that it's jarring. My problem is less the solo and more the buildup to the solo. In my opinion, it should've been that little bass thing for 2 bars going straight into the guitar solo. JP's solo illustrates surprise and confusion brilliantly, but it loses effect coming after a noodly and pointless JR solo and a riff that has overstayed its welcome by the time JP kicks in.

If it would've gone straight into JP's solo, it would've been much more surprising and would've made more sense. The way they did it just makes the song seem bloated.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #5245 on: August 10, 2014, 02:18:51 PM »
I don't know who came up with the name "Twelve Step Suite," but I think it's kind of dumb, and I think it should be called what I had PREDICTED it would be called: "Stepping Into Sobriety!"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:23:41 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5246 on: August 10, 2014, 03:24:29 PM »
I don't know who came up with the name "Twelve Step Suite," but I think it's kind of dumb, and I think it should be called what I had PREDICTED it should be called: "Stepping Into Sobriety!"
How is it dumb?  It is a suite of songs identified with the Twelve Steps, so it makes perfect sense.  In fact, some fans were referring to it as the AA suite, and MP said he preferred the term Twelve Steps Suite.  So, the guy who wrote the lyrics is who came up with it. 

But yeah, let's go with your idea instead of his.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #5247 on: August 10, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
You always have to pick apart everything I say-

I didn't sat it IS dumb, I said I think it's dumb.

It would make more sense if it was TWELVE songs, one for EACH of the twelve steps, instead of FIVE.

I thought this was a thread where we're allowed to express our CONTROVERSIAL opinions, not opinions that agree with EVERYONE ELSE'S!

So if anyone else wants to say that MY idea is dumb, GO FOR IT!

I really don't give a shit.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:47:17 PM by chaossystem »
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5248 on: August 10, 2014, 04:21:14 PM »
People are allowed to disagree with you. No need to get bent out of shape about it.

And even though the 12SS is only 5 songs, it does have a segment for each of the twelve steps.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5249 on: August 10, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »
I understand that. I like that it's jarring. My problem is less the solo and more the buildup to the solo. In my opinion, it should've been that little bass thing for 2 bars going straight into the guitar solo. JP's solo illustrates surprise and confusion brilliantly, but it loses effect coming after a noodly and pointless JR solo and a riff that has overstayed its welcome by the time JP kicks in.

If it would've gone straight into JP's solo, it would've been much more surprising and would've made more sense. The way they did it just makes the song seem bloated.

I get you. I always though that part of the solo was meant to be the confusion for those in direct contact with the bombing.  there was so much panic and confusion I took the part of the solo as that.

You always have to pick apart everything I say-

I didn't sat it IS dumb, I said think it's dumb.

Well, I think saying that something you think is dumb is calling it dumb.  I was never bothered myself calling it the 12 steps after learning why it was called that and the significance.