Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 990769 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #5145 on: August 04, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »
I could kill to see Dream Theater ft. Myles Kennedy on vocals, at least once in a life time! Does someone else?

Let's see...my favorite band of all time being fronted by one of my least favorite singers of all time?  No.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5146 on: August 04, 2014, 03:34:15 PM »
...and I REALLY don't like the way he handled the past four years from a band politics standpoint 

???  I have no idea what this means.

Agreed.

Stadler, you're gonna need to unpack that one a bit, cause that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5147 on: August 04, 2014, 03:35:20 PM »
I could kill to see Dream Theater ft. Myles Kennedy on vocals, at least once in a life time! Does someone else?

Let's see...my favorite band of all time being fronted by one of my least favorite singers of all time?  No.  :lol

Yeah, Myles Kennedy is a very overrated singer.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5148 on: August 04, 2014, 03:35:59 PM »
I give him his due for talent, but his voice and singing style just grate on me.  Can't stand his singing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #5149 on: August 04, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
More controversy:

I feel like DT´s instrumental songs are better than the "vocal" songs. They really should put out an instrumental record!

Quite opposite. I barely listen DT's instrumentals. Actually, James is the primary reason to listen them for me.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5150 on: August 04, 2014, 03:39:59 PM »
I give him his due for talent, but his voice and singing style just grate on me.  Can't stand his singing.

Oh sure, he's talented, but to front DT? No way. Also, I got my fill of Alter Bridge when one of my college classmates played the first album like 10 times in a row. I did try the third album years later because someone insisted its brilliance, but they just don't do anything for me.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5151 on: August 04, 2014, 03:49:45 PM »
I'd be curious to hear a Dream Theater song with Daniel Gildenlöw on vocals. He has the range, and he has sung a lot within that musical style before. Not saying he would be better than JLB or anything, but it would be interesting to hear IMO. I know even he has some haters though, but it's hard to overlook the talent.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #5152 on: August 04, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »
I've got one. TMOLS is the best song on SC, and is top 25 DT material.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #5153 on: August 04, 2014, 07:14:37 PM »
I'm too lazy to work out a top list, but it is probably indeed the best SC song.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Knguro

« Reply #5154 on: August 04, 2014, 07:20:45 PM »

Is not :) you don't have to agree with bosk all the time you know. Hahahaha
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #5155 on: August 04, 2014, 07:27:36 PM »
I'm too lazy to work out a top list, but it is probably indeed the best SC song.

I used to have a list in a word document, but I can't find it, and it was just random placement of favorites. There was no system at all. I honestly don't know where I would put it, but it would be somewhere in the top 25 :lol
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5156 on: August 04, 2014, 07:52:39 PM »

Bosk and I hate each other, and I certainly don't agree with everything he says.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5157 on: August 04, 2014, 07:58:18 PM »

Myles Kennedy is an amazing singer with an awesome range and multiple styles. I would argue more about why he's one of the best if I wasn't completely disregarding your statement because this is controversial opinions. :P

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5158 on: August 04, 2014, 08:01:08 PM »
Myles is a pretty good singer. Even if he didn't guest on an album (and he probably wouldn't, DT don't usually have guests except in the case of instruments they themselves don't play), it would be cool if he sang a few DT songs live with them. He and James are pretty good friends, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5159 on: August 04, 2014, 08:57:32 PM »
I love Myles, but I don't want to hear him singing DT.

And yeah, Stadler, I don't get that either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5160 on: August 04, 2014, 10:20:46 PM »
Oh yeah, Rock In Rio was absolutely stellar. And you're right, it does depend on what you prefer from a singer, but you also have to look at the different styles for what they are. Yes, Iron Maiden has some very progressive and complex passages, and yes, they were a major influence on Dream Theater, but still, in essence, they're two very different bands. Iron Maiden comes from an era, and caters to an audience of headbangers, so in their case, the priority IS to put more feeling and more attitude into the performances, and to just give the audience a really awesome rock show.
And while DT has its awesome rockers, being as progressive as it is, it's really a lot more akin to classical music in that people (generally) want to hear precision and see that skill from the members. In the case of most of the musicians, it's the dexterity of everything they do. In the case of JLB, it's his amazing range. Even during his worst period, his range was pretty damn impressive.
Agreed. Honestly I don't get much out of seeing perfection at concerts as opposed to the human element. This goes for any genre, not just Metal. It's impressive yes, but I want to hear some personality in the performance too. This is something I think Portnoy really struck a balance on in 2010, his performance was technically very impressive but also had lots of personality and character. And I'll use this moment to address 425's point here:
But I disagree with the proposition that James is not emotive. A lot of DT's most emotional songs have been punctuated by JLB's presence adding to the feeling. Scarred, for example? Or The Spirit Carries On? He shines on these songs by bringing the right emotional touch to them. Plus it helps that he's absolutely one of the most diverse singers I've ever heard (I mean, there's Ĺkerfeldt, but James has more diversity than Mikael when you look just at singing and not growling). James is capable of fitting in well on a very heavy metal song, like This Dying Soul, while also sounding just amazing on a ballad like Wither. Actually, just the song Octavarium on its own shows what I would call very impressive diversity on James's part.
Didn't mean to say that James isn't emotive at all. He is very emotive, but I think that comes out the most when he's singing softer and in a more limited range. See the middle section of Scarred, Spirit Carries On, The Bigger Picture, Disappeared, Illumination Theory. Octavarium is good too. It's when he goes into operatic mode that I find he gets less emotive. Songs like Outcry, parts of Take the Time, In the Name Of God. In a live setting I feel his performance on these songs is lacking. Not to say he doesn't have his moments, Octavarium (live and in studio) is stellar. I also don't have any qualms about his performance on DT12. Even live he pulls those songs off. I think he's better than ever right now.

However I can't say I agree that he fits in too well in a very metal setting. With the exception of Awake and some other songs here and there, I don't think his voice fits as well when DT starts to get really heavy.

I'm fairly confident that if JLB was born into an earlier era, when prog rock and early Metal was revered and recognized by masses, he'd be considered one of its legends, right along with Dickinson, Dio and Plant.
Not sure about that. DT had a spot in the limelight for some time and while maybe not necessarily considered legends, JP and (especially) MP have been quite recognized for their talents since then. So it's not like JLB's era is preventing him from certain praises. Of course this isn't any objective statement on quality, but just a general observation.

I saw the one in Toronto. And even afterwards, I was thinking, "Was JLB really that amazing, or was I just blinded by fanboy goggles?" But I looked up some of the footage, and yeah, his performance was absolutely dead on.
I'll have to check that out later then. I also looked up some footage from Denver of both Maiden and DT and my thoughts still stand.

Well, I'm glad. Because as a singer, I think Plant is a bit overrated. Again, I can appreciate his range and skill, but I don't think he's all that.
Yea I think so too. I love Zeppelin but Plant was the weak link. His voice also deteriorated very quickly, you can hear him struggling live already on Song Remains the Same and even in studio on later albums.

Another good comparison would be Russell Allen, before he decided to become a one dimensional singer. I think it's more fair to compare those two, coming from a similar time period and style. Both have an operatic style, are diverse, and sing in progressive acts.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5161 on: August 04, 2014, 11:02:55 PM »
Not sure about that. DT had a spot in the limelight for some time and while maybe not necessarily considered legends, JP and (especially) MP have been quite recognized for their talents since then. So it's not like JLB's era is preventing him from certain praises. Of course this isn't any objective statement on quality, but just a general observation.
Yeah, but by the time DT made it big, that style of vocals was already pretty much out of fashion. Glam Metal was dead, and prog rock's hey day was LONG past. What I'm saying is that if there was a vocalist like JLB back in the 70s, early 80s, people would appreciate someone like that a lot more, because back then, people admired the higher register, more melodic vocals. Heck, DT hit it big when Thrash was already coming off its hey day and Grunge and Nu Metal were becoming mainstream, there couldn't have been a worse time for JLB's type vocals in the industry. Even Rob Halford, with his band Fight, employed a much grittier and lower register vocal style to better fit in with that generation.

Yea I think so too. I love Zeppelin but Plant was the weak link. His voice also deteriorated very quickly, you can hear him struggling live already on Song Remains the Same and even in studio on later albums.
And yet, classic rock fans praise Plant like he's god among men. That's why I think JLB's vocals would've been much more appreciated at an earlier era of music.

Another good comparison would be Russell Allen, before he decided to become a one dimensional singer. I think it's more fair to compare those two, coming from a similar time period and style. Both have an operatic style, are diverse, and sing in progressive acts.

Yeah, but Allen is a monster when it comes to doing aggressive vocals, so even if he can do the operatic stuff, he still does the aggressive stuff, and it's much easier for him to be appreciated by fans of harsher vocals, fans of bands like Pantera, Slayer and Disturbed.

And you know what, even then! I mean, yes, in the Metal community, those who HAVE heard Symphony X give Russel his props, but it's not like he'll ever be hailed as one of Rock's great 'Microphone Heroes'. And quite frankly, yes, just like JLB, I think he well deserves to be.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5162 on: August 04, 2014, 11:04:55 PM »
I realize it's just a quote malfunction, but it looks like you're just arguing with yourself. :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5163 on: August 04, 2014, 11:06:23 PM »
I realize it's just a quote malfunction, but it looks like you're just arguing with yourself. :lol

That does happen from time to time.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5164 on: August 05, 2014, 06:42:51 AM »
I love Myles, but I don't want to hear him singing DT.

Agreed.  Myles is actually one of my favorite voices in rock at the moment, but I don't think DT would be a good fit for him at all.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #5165 on: August 05, 2014, 06:55:32 AM »
I'm not saying Myles singing for an entire record, but just picture it:

ON STAGE + DT + MYLES + AS I AM = EPICNESS!!!!!

As I Am could be one of those songs where he just fits perfectly!!

Offline Knguro

« Reply #5166 on: August 05, 2014, 07:00:19 AM »

Bosk and I hate each other, and I certainly don't agree with everything he says.

Sarcasm usually is a bitch Zook hahaha... relax.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5167 on: August 05, 2014, 07:35:36 AM »
...and I REALLY don't like the way he handled the past four years from a band politics standpoint 

???  I have no idea what this means.

Um, really don't want to say the wrong thing here and blow up the thread, but... I think he has taken more unnecessary shots at MP than anyone else in the band combined, and I think of all the members of the current DT, he is most happy with the way the breakup went down.  I specifically cite his comments re: the notion of a "front man" in DT, and the notion of Mike telling him what to sing.

I get that there were things said from the other side, too, so it's not cut and dry, but the bus drivers were MP and JP, and for JLB to mouth off, to me it's sort of like the weasely kid standing behind the bigger kid and going "na na na na NA na!!!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5168 on: August 05, 2014, 07:41:16 AM »
I tend to look at it as him standing up to a bully, especially given that he was Portnoy's punching bag in DT for the longest time. 

And why is him being happy about how things went down a bad thing?  If someone I didn't always get along with was suddenly out of my life and I no longer had to deal with him/her, I'd be pretty happy about it, too.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5169 on: August 05, 2014, 07:44:50 AM »
Oh, and Myles Kennedy is one of my favorite current vocalists, but the LAST band I would like to see him sing in front of is Dream Theater.  I'd rather him sing for The Cars than Dream Theater. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5170 on: August 05, 2014, 07:47:54 AM »
I agree with Kev.  For us the fans to find out that Mike was unhappy with James singing is airing out the dirty laundry and James has all the right to be pissed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Knguro

« Reply #5171 on: August 05, 2014, 07:57:16 AM »
Myles is a pretty good singer. Even if he didn't guest on an album (and he probably wouldn't, DT don't usually have guests except in the case of instruments they themselves don't play), it would be cool if he sang a few DT songs live with them. He and James are pretty good friends, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

I remember asking Jordan once, if a DT/Alter Bridge collab could be possible, his answer was this: I do like Alter Bridge and I'm open for everything. 

:biggrin: so yeah, it could be.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5172 on: August 05, 2014, 07:59:43 AM »
Well, "bully" and "punching bag" are both a little melodramatic and terms to be used when predisposed to seeing the worst in the "bully" and the one doing the "punching".   But there are two sides to every story, and it isn't as if JLB was chained to the stage and manacled to the mike stand.

I don't fault JLB for being pissed, and I don't fault him for being happy now.  I just (14 months ago) got divorced and so am living the scenario you are suggesting.   And I was pissed for a while and am happy now.  But when asked about it, I simply say "it was the best thing for both of us.  Now we both are free to make the decisions we feel are best for us and those around us."    I don't passive-aggressively try to get back at someone that was mean to me, especially since I was free to go at any point in the 15 years we were married and even more especially when those around me are also taking the high road and looking forward.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5173 on: August 05, 2014, 08:01:57 AM »
While I agree your mindset is the best way to go not all relationships end that way and most and with a hated for one another, or at least animosity.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5174 on: August 05, 2014, 08:08:29 AM »
I've never seen JLB as being passive/aggressive, and other than a general positive attitude about moving forward, I haven't seen him address it much at all unless asked.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5175 on: August 05, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »
I've never seen JLB as being passive/aggressive, and other than a general positive attitude about moving forward, I haven't seen him address it much at all unless asked.

Certainly not arguing with you, but I recall two events: an interview around the time the videos were released in connection with the drummer selection, and then there was a video interview from South America I think it was around the time of the release of ADTOE and both were in the vein of what I am talking about.  If I can find the links I'll put them up, but I wouldn't count on that.   And to be fair, at least for the second, I would give him a pass, because I also recall in that interview he had either just flown or was up all night or something like that, because I remember him talking (in a positive way) about the increased responsibilities on all the members now that they were essentially "one short" (because Mangini was new and focused on getting his gig right). 

Offline Knguro

« Reply #5176 on: August 05, 2014, 09:18:05 AM »

Certainly not arguing with you, but I recall two events: an interview around the time the videos were released in connection with the drummer selection, and then there was a video interview from South America I think it was around the time of the release of ADTOE and both were in the vein of what I am talking about.  If I can find the links I'll put them up, but I wouldn't count on that.   And to be fair, at least for the second, I would give him a pass, because I also recall in that interview he had either just flown or was up all night or something like that, because I remember him talking (in a positive way) about the increased responsibilities on all the members now that they were essentially "one short" (because Mangini was new and focused on getting his gig right).

I would say they are short by 2, JM has been busy on god mode.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5177 on: August 05, 2014, 09:39:09 AM »

This.  I do not recall James really saying anything that I would consider "taking shots" at Portnoy (although I may simply be misremembering). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5178 on: August 05, 2014, 10:53:27 AM »
And considering that he was the only member of the group who MP ever took shots at in the media even while he was still in the group, I think that JLB has been pretty remarkable in taking the high road.  A lesser man may have really unloaded on MP for some of that stuff, but that hasn't really happened.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5179 on: August 05, 2014, 12:25:16 PM »
And yet, classic rock fans praise Plant like he's god among men. That's why I think JLB's vocals would've been much more appreciated at an earlier era of music.
It's more than just his voice though. His charisma as a frontman as well as just his sly vocal style really gave him all that recognition. There wasn't really anyone like that before Plant. JLB's vocals may have gotten more recognition in that time but I don't think he would've been elevated to Robert Plant status. I think it'd be more likely for him to be in the realm of Jon Anderson. A more appropriate comparison in general, if we're talking classic rock singers.

Yeah, but Allen is a monster when it comes to doing aggressive vocals, so even if he can do the operatic stuff, he still does the aggressive stuff, and it's much easier for him to be appreciated by fans of harsher vocals, fans of bands like Pantera, Slayer and Disturbed.

And you know what, even then! I mean, yes, in the Metal community, those who HAVE heard Symphony X give Russel his props, but it's not like he'll ever be hailed as one of Rock's great 'Microphone Heroes'. And quite frankly, yes, just like JLB, I think he well deserves to be.
Oh yea I agree, I like his aggressive vocals a lot, just wish he'd mix it up more these days like he did on Odyssey. But yea, Russel is one of my all time favorite vocalists for sure, so I definitely agree there. If there's ever a more modern singer who deserves to be up there with the likes of Dickinson and Halford, I think it's Allen.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods