Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991164 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #5110 on: July 28, 2014, 09:50:13 PM »
As for Another Day, I think you are away off base.  I disliked the song from day 1, and you know I love me some '80s power ballads.  My dislike has nothing to do with any supposed resemblance to an '80s power ballad.  I just don't like it because it isn't a very good song.  In fact, to your point, I would say it is nothing like an '80s power ballad.  Ballad?  Yes.  '80s power ballad?  Not remotely.

To be fair bosky, your opinions on IaW are a bit oddball, so I'm not counting you! :lol (I have nothing against oddball, I live for oddball)
I do regularly see people here criticize the song for sounding similar to an '80s power ballad, whether right or wrong. I'm not saying you could just stick it on a White Lion album and you're good to go, but I think there are inspirations in the arrangement, chord progressions and melodies. As usual, it still has that strong DT sound to it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5111 on: July 28, 2014, 10:10:49 PM »
Another Day is my favorite song from I&W.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5112 on: July 29, 2014, 09:39:08 AM »
I do regularly see people here criticize the song for sounding similar to an '80s power ballad, whether right or wrong. I'm not saying you could just stick it on a White Lion album and you're good to go, but I think there are inspirations in the arrangement, chord progressions and melodies. As usual, it still has that strong DT sound to it.
It's definitely as close to that as DT ever got.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5113 on: July 29, 2014, 12:51:13 PM »
It's definitely as close to that as DT ever got.

Maybe Status Seeker, but that's not a ballad at all.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #5114 on: July 29, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »
I never thought of Another Day as an 80's power ballad, but that description totally fits it  :lol

I always loved Another Day for 2:05, and the contrasting sound that part invokes after listening to the heavy Pull Me Under
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #5115 on: July 30, 2014, 04:45:32 AM »
It's great track with especially special vocals, JLB is biggest reason I like Another Day. And it is still one of the least best (not to say worst :P ) on IaW
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:16:28 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5116 on: July 30, 2014, 09:20:49 AM »
Every song on I&W is pretty damn awesome, so being the worst/least best song on that record is sort of like being the least best-looking supermodel.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #5117 on: August 03, 2014, 10:42:59 PM »
James Labrie is the greatest rock singer to ever walk this earth.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5118 on: August 03, 2014, 10:44:44 PM »
James Labrie is the greatest rock singer to ever walk this earth.

This is an opinion thread, so if he's the greatest ever in your opinion, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that statement.  :tup

He's certainly my favorite.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5119 on: August 03, 2014, 10:53:26 PM »
Yeah, he's definitely under-appreciated, mostly by people that a so used to fake and digitally saturated vocals that they can't appreciate when someone actually uses proper vocal technique.

« Reply #5120 on: August 03, 2014, 10:57:05 PM »
Yeah, he's definitely under-appreciated, mostly by people that a so used to fake and digitally saturated vocals that they can't appreciate when someone actually uses proper vocal technique.

What saddens me the most is that he's underappreciated by people who are actual fans of classic rock and can appreciate vocalists like Robert Plant, Geddy Lee, Bruce Dickinson, etc. It's a damn shame that so many of them live in the 70s and 80s, and can't appreciate one of the greatest bands that happened to have their breakthrough album in the 90s and never really became a mainstream legend that they deserve to be.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5121 on: August 03, 2014, 11:17:45 PM »
Haha wow.. Well if someone appreciates Geddy Lee and Bruce Dickinson then I can't possibly understand why they don't like James Labrie.  :\

Especially poor ol' Geddy, very unique style that doesn't click for some people. And I've heard people that are into more modern metal that can't stand Bruce Dickonson's operatic style yet they love the sort of vocalists that get really hungry for cookies. Although I concede, perhaps the latter is a style that I lack appreciation for. :lol

« Reply #5122 on: August 03, 2014, 11:20:30 PM »
Haha wow.. Well if someone appreciates Geddy Lee and Bruce Dickinson then I can't possibly understand why they don't like James Labrie.  :\

Especially poor ol' Geddy, very unique style that doesn't click for some people. And I've heard people that are into more modern metal that can't stand Bruce Dickonson's operatic style but they love the sort of vocalists that get really hungry for cookies. :lol

Well, I'd guess it's not so much a matter of not liking James LaBrie, so much as never really bothering to listen to DT with an attentive ear, and really focus on how damn awesome he is.

One of the most pathetic things I've ever heard was, "I don't listen to anything that came after the 70s."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5123 on: August 03, 2014, 11:38:23 PM »

Especially poor ol' Geddy, very unique style that doesn't click for some people. And I've heard people that are into more modern metal that can't stand Bruce Dickonson's operatic style but they love the sort of vocalists that get really hungry for cookies. :lol

Well, I'd guess it's not so much a matter of not liking James LaBrie, so much as never really bothering to listen to DT with an attentive ear, and really focus on how damn awesome he is.
Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands and I feel that I've listened to their music very in depth and attentively. That said, I still don't really like JLB's singing. He's not a bad vocalist and he's certainly had his stellar moments, but I wouldn't choose him when considering my favorite vocalists.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

« Reply #5124 on: August 03, 2014, 11:40:49 PM »
Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands and I feel that I've listened to their music very in depth and attentively. That said, I still don't really like JLB's singing. He's not a bad vocalist and he's certainly had his stellar moments, but I wouldn't choose him when considering my favorite vocalists.

Yeah, but it's not a matter of liking him, it's a matter of appreciating his range, and his ability, and stamina, and just what he's capable of as a vocalist. Surely you can at least appreciate that much.

I mean, personally, I really don't like Brian Johnson's voice, and he's the main reason I don't listen to AC/DC, but I can still appreciate his ability and what he's capable of.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #5125 on: August 03, 2014, 11:44:17 PM »

Yeah, but it's not a matter of liking him, it's a matter of appreciating his range, and his ability, and stamina, and just what he's capable of as a vocalist. Surely you can at least appreciate that much.
Sure I'll give him that. I just wouldn't put him in the same league as someone like Bruce Dickinson.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

« Reply #5126 on: August 03, 2014, 11:51:52 PM »
Sure I'll give him that. I just wouldn't put him in the same league as someone like Bruce Dickinson.

See, I don't understand why. I mean, it's not like Dickinson has a significantly higher range, or better technique. Yes, he has a shitload more stage presence, and as far as being a frontman, as far as being able to bring the crowd excitement up, he's pretty much second to none. But in terms of sheer singing ability and vocal technique, he's just as good if not better than Dickinson. Their techniques are very different, and both have different strengths and weaknesses, but there's nothing about Dickinson's singing that puts him into some kind of a higher echelon than JLB.
That you don't enjoy the quality of his voice as much is purely a matter of taste.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5127 on: August 03, 2014, 11:52:18 PM »

Doesn't need to be in the 'same league' either and besides, that's probably gonna come down to differing opinions and preferences too. And we're allowed to have personal taste. I mean some vocalists have a tone that just doesn't appeal to some people, but might sound amazing to another individual. I think the issue I take is the people who write him off before considering or appreciating those other details and just concluding that he's a terrible vocalist. And consequently, writing off the whole band in some cases!

I like the ACDC example, because I've heard people describe Axel Rose and Brian Johnson as dying cats. It's not really my favourite style of vocals but I like to think I can still appreciate their style for what they are, and I couldn't say they're bad singers because it's simply not true. Unless somewhere in your definition of a 'bad singer' includes the exact elements you find distasteful in the vocalist you're listening to, I suppose it can be viewed as more valid in that regard but is still probably a very one sided perspective.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:00:18 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Mosh

« Reply #5128 on: August 04, 2014, 12:18:51 AM »
That you don't enjoy the quality of his voice as much is purely a matter of taste.
Well, all of this is a matter of taste. It's more than me enjoying the quality of his voice though. I think Bruce's voice has more character, I feel that he puts more feeling and emotion into his singing. Not that JLB doesn't have any of these qualities, but I think he's a few steps below Bruce in that department. I also think Bruce's voice has more consistency. There was one period where he wasn't performing well live, but aside from that he's had very few bad nights that I've heard and his voice has aged very gracefully. JLB is a lot more hit and miss in this respect and while I'll give him leeway because of the food poisoning incident, it's still a factor. I also think Bruce hits his high notes with much more grace, accuracy, and strength than JLB. This is including JLB's performances on I&W and Awake. All these things keep JLB a step below Dickinson IMHO. But this is all taste, I can totally understand how someone would hear these things differently. Besides, saying he's a step below Dickinson really isn't all that bad considering how top tier Dickinson is.

It also helped seeing Iron Maiden and DT live in 2010. There was a very huge difference in quality between the singers at the show I saw.

Also, I don't dislike JLB by any means. I do think he is a good singer and has his amazing moments. I love his singing on Awake and with the last two albums and tours he's only gotten better. He was absolutely on point when I saw them this year.

« Reply #5129 on: August 04, 2014, 12:33:38 AM »
Well, all of this is a matter of taste. It's more than me enjoying the quality of his voice though. I think Bruce's voice has more character, I feel that he puts more feeling and emotion into his singing. Not that JLB doesn't have any of these qualities, but I think he's a few steps below Bruce in that department. I also think Bruce's voice has more consistency. There was one period where he wasn't performing well live, but aside from that he's had very few bad nights that I've heard and his voice has aged very gracefully. JLB is a lot more hit and miss in this respect and while I'll give him leeway because of the food poisoning incident, it's still a factor. I also think Bruce hits his high notes with much more grace, accuracy, and strength than JLB. This is including JLB's performances on I&W and Awake. All these things keep JLB a step below Dickinson IMHO. But this is all taste, I can totally understand how someone would hear these things differently. Besides, saying he's a step below Dickinson really isn't all that bad considering how top tier Dickinson is.
To be fair though, I think people give Dickinson a little too much credit. Don't get me wrong, I love him, but I've heard plenty of live maiden footage where I'm anticipating some of the higher parts on songs like Hallowed Be Thy Name, and he either just sustains the previous note and basically yells the entire passage in one tone, or he throws the note away all together and just screams it out theatrically. And I don't even just mean lately. I'm talking about his performance on Live After Death, even.
And you know what? For Iron Maiden's style, it works perfectly well. And they're difficult passages, so if his voice isn't in top form, I can't blame him for throwing away some of the notes. All I'm saying is that he's not as perfect or consistent as all that.
As far as emotion and feeling goes, yeah, maybe you're right. JLB is definitely the kind of vocalist that will prioritize technique, and really try to make sure that he's hitting the proper note, rather than putting all his emotion into that note necessarily, but that's just a difference in style. I could give him just as much credit for trying to make sure that he IS hitting all the right notes. It's pretty much what I meant when I said that his style and Dickinson's style are different, and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

It also helped seeing Iron Maiden and DT live in 2010. There was a very huge difference in quality between the singers at the show I saw.

The only real difference in quality that I saw during that tour was, like I said, in stage presence and energy. In fact, during the show I went to, JLB nailed every part. Hearing that, "Watch the sparrow falling" part of pull me under, blew me away. Whereas Dickinson ended up throwing away some of the higher parts in songs like Hallowed Be Thy Name. And again, as I mentioned above, that's neither here nor there. They have different styles and prioritize different things. All I'm saying is that both have their strengths and weaknesses, and if you ask me, neither one is significantly superior over the other, it's really just a matter of taste.

Somehow it always comes down to Bruce Dickinson for some reason. Honestly, I think in terms of voice, a much more fair comparison would be Robert Plant. If you ask me, he didn't have the most soulful, or accessible voice in rock music either. Personally, I always thought he sounded quite thin. What he did have was range and technique. So in that respect, I think he and LaBrie are very similar. In fact, I knew quite a few people who actually did hear LaBrie for the first time and said, "I like it. He kinda reminds me of Robert Plant."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5130 on: August 04, 2014, 03:29:46 AM »
I think JLB is great. I've always felt that he gets way too much criticism, and for some reason it feels like people expect too much from him. DT is basically THE band where every member has become known as one of the best within their different field. Petrucci - one of the best guitarists, Portnoy - one of the best drummers, Rudess - keyboards and so on. With JLB, it's like if people expect him to excel as much in singing as the others do in their various fields. I think JLB is a great singer, who sadly took a hit after the food poisoning, and while his live performances have been hit/miss live, they have been mostly good on the albums at least. It's hard for me to be critical, because to me, flaws in vocals is a very human thing, and it can give the vocals more feel to them. Not delivering them 100% right or sometimes having those "misses" gives the words more humanity and feel to them, and I don't know, it's just hard for me to hate. I'm not saying a bad singer is better than a fantastic singer, but I think JLB is good enough. I just think people expect too much because it's Dream Theater.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5131 on: August 04, 2014, 04:11:59 AM »
With regards to Another Day and its "style" - my first real exposure to Dream Theater (outside of being yet another of those weird bands my dad used to play on his radio show and in the car and at home...) came through a CD from an various artists collection series:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/even-more-power-ballads-mw0001235674

It still took a couple of years for me to really grab on to DT, ACOS and FII being the two CD's that were in such heavy rotation in my dads car that I simply was brainwashed.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #5132 on: August 04, 2014, 08:12:06 AM »
More controversy:

I feel like DT´s instrumental songs are better than the "vocal" songs. They really should put out an instrumental record!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5133 on: August 04, 2014, 08:17:40 AM »
More controversy:

I feel like DT´s instrumental songs are better than the "vocal" songs. They really should put out an instrumental record!

To me, the LTE records are basically instrumental DT records, just with a different (and better and more creative) bass player. 

And most of the instrumentals on those two records are better than most of DT's instrumentals, IMCO. :biggrin:

Offline Grizz

« Reply #5134 on: August 04, 2014, 08:36:27 AM »
LTE feels considerably less melodic than DT to me.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5135 on: August 04, 2014, 08:39:12 AM »
I totally disagree.  Nearly every LTE song has an awesome melody, to go along with the tremendous playing, the exceptions being stuff like 914 and ...Excellent Adventure, which are more or less rhythmic jams anyway.

« Reply #5136 on: August 04, 2014, 09:12:43 AM »
More controversy:

If you wanna listen to a DT instrumental album, they have an instrumental mix for ADTOE and BC&SL.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #5137 on: August 04, 2014, 10:43:33 AM »
More controversy:

If you wanna listen to a DT instrumental album, they have an instrumental mix for ADTOE and BC&SL.

They do?!! OMG! Where can I find it?

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #5138 on: August 04, 2014, 11:03:49 AM »
I love James's performance on I&W and especially Awake. Since then, he has had few standout performances; Another World, Intervals, and The Pursuit of Truth, among a few other examples, are truly exceptional, but beyond those, there is little that stands out. I had preferred vocalists such as Bruce Dickinson, Russell Allen, and Hansi Kunsch. My impressiion was cemented when I first saw DT in 2012; James sounded... a bit off, for lack of a better term.

This changed when I saw them again in April; James absolutely killed it that night, and easily surpassed many of his studio performances. Yes, even those of the Awake songs. In my mind, James is now up there among the likes of Bruce, Russell, and Hansi. If he sounds this great on the next album, it could easily be his best studio performance to date.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #5139 on: August 04, 2014, 11:23:04 AM »
I could kill to see Dream Theater ft. Myles Kennedy on vocals, at least once in a life time! Does someone else?
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Mosh

« Reply #5140 on: August 04, 2014, 01:16:13 PM »
To be fair though, I think people give Dickinson a little too much credit. Don't get me wrong, I love him, but I've heard plenty of live maiden footage where I'm anticipating some of the higher parts on songs like Hallowed Be Thy Name, and he either just sustains the previous note and basically yells the entire passage in one tone, or he throws the note away all together and just screams it out theatrically. And I don't even just mean lately. I'm talking about his performance on Live After Death, even.
And you know what? For Iron Maiden's style, it works perfectly well. And they're difficult passages, so if his voice isn't in top form, I can't blame him for throwing away some of the notes. All I'm saying is that he's not as perfect or consistent as all that.
As far as emotion and feeling goes, yeah, maybe you're right. JLB is definitely the kind of vocalist that will prioritize technique, and really try to make sure that he's hitting the proper note, rather than putting all his emotion into that note necessarily, but that's just a difference in style. I could give him just as much credit for trying to make sure that he IS hitting all the right notes. It's pretty much what I meant when I said that his style and Dickinson's style are different, and both have their strengths and weaknesses.
I think it depends on what you value more from a singer. Hitting the right notes is impressive and all, but if I don't hear any feeling in it, which is often the case with JLB, it's not going to do much for me. I want a vocal performance to be convincing, Bruce is great at doing that. Another singer who was like that was Freddie Mercury. And that's not to say Bruce doesn't hit his notes, because he does. I'll admit that LAD is a lackluster performance at times (though he warms up toward the end), but check out his performances on Beast Over Hammersmith and Rock in Rio. Not only is he more consistent hitting notes, but he hits them with so much grace and character. It's what I want from a singer.

The only real difference in quality that I saw during that tour was, like I said, in stage presence and energy. In fact, during the show I went to, JLB nailed every part. Hearing that, "Watch the sparrow falling" part of pull me under, blew me away. Whereas Dickinson ended up throwing away some of the higher parts in songs like Hallowed Be Thy Name. And again, as I mentioned above, that's neither here nor there. They have different styles and prioritize different things. All I'm saying is that both have their strengths and weaknesses, and if you ask me, neither one is significantly superior over the other, it's really just a matter of taste.
Which show did you see? I saw them in Denver which was I think the third or fourth show in the tour. I have to say I really wasn't impressed with JLB's performance that night, he was flat and slurred a lot of the higher parts. Bruce on the other hand was really on that night, both in stage presence and vocal performance.

Somehow it always comes down to Bruce Dickinson for some reason. Honestly, I think in terms of voice, a much more fair comparison would be Robert Plant. If you ask me, he didn't have the most soulful, or accessible voice in rock music either. Personally, I always thought he sounded quite thin. What he did have was range and technique. So in that respect, I think he and LaBrie are very similar. In fact, I knew quite a few people who actually did hear LaBrie for the first time and said, "I like it. He kinda reminds me of Robert Plant."
I agree, I don't hear any resemblance to Plant in tone but there are lots of other similarities. Plant had his fair share of criticism too. The Dickinson comparison comes from the two using operatic styles, but honestly I think JLB is at his best when he isn't using those styles. So the Plant comparison makes more sense. I much prefer JLB to Plant by the way.  ;D

« Reply #5141 on: August 04, 2014, 01:40:15 PM »
I think it depends on what you value more from a singer. Hitting the right notes is impressive and all, but if I don't hear any feeling in it, which is often the case with JLB, it's not going to do much for me. I want a vocal performance to be convincing, Bruce is great at doing that. Another singer who was like that was Freddie Mercury. And that's not to say Bruce doesn't hit his notes, because he does. I'll admit that LAD is a lackluster performance at times (though he warms up toward the end), but check out his performances on Beast Over Hammersmith and Rock in Rio. Not only is he more consistent hitting notes, but he hits them with so much grace and character. It's what I want from a singer.
Oh yeah, Rock In Rio was absolutely stellar. And you're right, it does depend on what you prefer from a singer, but you also have to look at the different styles for what they are. Yes, Iron Maiden has some very progressive and complex passages, and yes, they were a major influence on Dream Theater, but still, in essence, they're two very different bands. Iron Maiden comes from an era, and caters to an audience of headbangers, so in their case, the priority IS to put more feeling and more attitude into the performances, and to just give the audience a really awesome rock show.
And while DT has its awesome rockers, being as progressive as it is, it's really a lot more akin to classical music in that people (generally) want to hear precision and see that skill from the members. In the case of most of the musicians, it's the dexterity of everything they do. In the case of JLB, it's his amazing range. Even during his worst period, his range was pretty damn impressive.
I'm fairly confident that if JLB was born into an earlier era, when prog rock and early Metal was revered and recognized by masses, he'd be considered one of its legends, right along with Dickinson, Dio and Plant.

Which show did you see? I saw them in Denver which was I think the third or fourth show in the tour. I have to say I really wasn't impressed with JLB's performance that night, he was flat and slurred a lot of the higher parts. Bruce on the other hand was really on that night, both in stage presence and vocal performance.
I saw the one in Toronto. And even afterwards, I was thinking, "Was JLB really that amazing, or was I just blinded by fanboy goggles?" But I looked up some of the footage, and yeah, his performance was absolutely dead on.

I agree, I don't hear any resemblance to Plant in tone but there are lots of other similarities. Plant had his fair share of criticism too. The Dickinson comparison comes from the two using operatic styles, but honestly I think JLB is at his best when he isn't using those styles. So the Plant comparison makes more sense. I much prefer JLB to Plant by the way.  ;D

Well, I'm glad. Because as a singer, I think Plant is a bit overrated. Again, I can appreciate his range and skill, but I don't think he's all that.

Offline 425

« Reply #5142 on: August 04, 2014, 01:44:29 PM »
I think I have to agree with TheGreatPretender on the JLB vs. Bruce thing. I absolutely love Bruce Dickinson, I'm sure you all know that (especially Mosh—I first met him on an Iron Maiden forum). He's a truly spectacular singer with an unbelievable voice, he's an absolutely brilliant performer, and he's very convincing and emotive (both in studio and on stage). He's definitely the better live singer out of the two, because even on his bad nights he's able to save face pretty well while James sometimes has just not sounded very good (not at present though!).

But I disagree with the proposition that James is not emotive. A lot of DT's most emotional songs have been punctuated by JLB's presence adding to the feeling. Scarred, for example? Or The Spirit Carries On? He shines on these songs by bringing the right emotional touch to them. Plus it helps that he's absolutely one of the most diverse singers I've ever heard (I mean, there's Åkerfeldt, but James has more diversity than Mikael when you look just at singing and not growling). James is capable of fitting in well on a very heavy metal song, like This Dying Soul, while also sounding just amazing on a ballad like Wither. Actually, just the song Octavarium on its own shows what I would call very impressive diversity on James's part.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5143 on: August 04, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »
As one of the people that has used Dickinson as the standard (I think I've said that Bruce is the standard by which I measure all metal front men) I should clarify that I don't necessarily limit that comparison to JUST singing.   It's the whole package for me.   Though I think the last comment by 425 is very relevant:  James has been asked to sing (and has successfully sang) the works of Bruce, Plant, Mercury, Gillan, Dio, Jackson, Ozzy, Hetfield, Waters, Gilmour, Hewson...

I am willing to admit that JLB has his moments live, his stage patter and mannerisms are clichéd to the point of comedy for me, and I REALLY don't like the way he handled the past four years from a band politics standpoint, but as a singer, I think it's hard to knock him with any credibility. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5144 on: August 04, 2014, 03:30:59 PM »
...and I REALLY don't like the way he handled the past four years from a band politics standpoint 

???  I have no idea what this means.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."