Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 990631 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #5005 on: July 14, 2014, 01:15:20 PM »
i wouldn't even call Train of Thought nu metal. Angsty lyrics and a couple sort of rap sections do not equal nu metal.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #5006 on: July 14, 2014, 01:17:35 PM »
TOT is probably the most similar to nu metal, mostly because of HTF, but I still wouldn't ever try to actually call it a nu metal album.

I suppose TOT is nu metal in the same way that SFAM is Arabic.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5007 on: July 14, 2014, 02:44:28 PM »
TOT is Nu Metal in the same way that Awake is Grunge.  ::)
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5008 on: July 14, 2014, 03:35:46 PM »
Over analysis is over analysis.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5009 on: July 15, 2014, 12:02:07 AM »
Systematic Chaos nu metal?  ???
I wouldn't have thought so.  If anything, TOT could be seen as nu metal, but even that is tenuous at best.

As is virtually always the case, the hefmeister is correct. Detuned metal with occasional spoken/harsh vocals =/= nu metal.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:30:45 AM by hefdaddy42 »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5010 on: July 15, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #5011 on: July 15, 2014, 11:41:14 AM »
What is Nu Metal anyway?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5012 on: July 15, 2014, 11:42:18 AM »
It's metal that is Nu.  But that's not what's important right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #5013 on: July 15, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
What is Nu Metal anyway?

Not TOT.

Actually, "Nu metal (also known as new metal, neo-metal, nü-metal, or aggro-metal ) is a subgenre of heavy metal that combines metal music with hip hop, hardcore punk and grunge. It is classified as part of alternative metal." is the definition.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #5014 on: July 16, 2014, 12:14:24 AM »
I read an interview with Petrucci from around when ToT came out and he said what bands he was listening to inspire the guitar sound on the album. I remember Chevelle was one of the bands. I like Chevelle, but I don't know if they are considered nu-metal. Just sayin' ;)

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #5015 on: July 16, 2014, 07:59:23 AM »
What is Nu Metal anyway?

Not TOT.

Actually, "Nu metal (also known as new metal, neo-metal, nü-metal, or aggro-metal ) is a subgenre of heavy metal that combines metal music with hip hop, hardcore punk and grunge. It is classified as part of alternative metal." is the definition.

Then TOT is not Nu Metal and nothing that DT has put out is Nu Metal.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5016 on: July 16, 2014, 08:42:18 AM »
No, it's not, strictly speaking.  But where the original criticism like that came from is that some of the tones and tunings that JP used on that album are apparently reminiscent of those used by numetal artists.

In other words, it's not a numetal album, but it contains some numetal influences.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5017 on: July 16, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »
That's a more fair (and accurate) way of putting it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #5018 on: July 16, 2014, 03:10:10 PM »
No, it's not, strictly speaking.  But where the original criticism like that came from is that some of the tones and tunings that JP used on that album are apparently reminiscent of those used by numetal artists.

In other words, it's not a numetal album, but it contains some numetal influences.

Not tones an tunings!  :omg:

Lol, what a thing to be picky about.  ::)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5019 on: July 17, 2014, 02:27:20 PM »
Not being picky.  I liked the stuff he used on that album.  Just trying to be as informative and precise as possible.

« Reply #5020 on: July 17, 2014, 02:35:50 PM »
Not being picky.  I liked the stuff he used on that album.  Just trying to be as informative and precise as possible.

I wasn't referring to you. I mean people who take elements like tones and tuning and use them to lump DT in the same category as Nu Metal, and then claim that they don't like the album because it's too "Nu Metal" for them.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5021 on: July 17, 2014, 06:57:31 PM »
James was experimenting with nu-metaly / alt rock/metal elements with 'Elements of Persuasion' citing influences such as; Mudvayne, Meshuggah, Linkin Park and Sevendust. But that's about as close as DT get to this fandangled nu-metal scene. And technically speaking isn't even DT but it had 2 of their current members playing on that album. Haha.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5022 on: July 17, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »
Meshuggah... nu metal?

???

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5023 on: July 17, 2014, 08:06:43 PM »
Yeah, hardly lol. That's why I said 'elements of' and included / alt metal as an alternative style among the influences JLB stated. I hesitated including Meshuggah for this very reason.  :xbones  But I figured it was still relevant as the album seems to be a hybrid of styles from all of the aforementioned bands but I think the others are probably more representative of the nu-metal influences.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:40:25 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #5024 on: July 17, 2014, 08:24:34 PM »
Ah, ok, that makes sense.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5025 on: July 18, 2014, 12:01:10 PM »
Ok, here's a totally different topic: How come that in the 20+ years of their existence, DT has never done anything socially conscious? I was just checking on how Rush goes about their Meet & Greet tickets, and the first headline that popped up was "Rush auctions off their front row + M&G tickets for girl with leukemia".
Now, they obviously don't need to be a Bono, but given their substantial impact and visibility, you'd think they would use that, at least occasionally, for a good purpose.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5026 on: July 18, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »
It's entirely possible that they do that, and just don't publicize it very often.

Wasn't there something on one of the DVDs about some kid with some disease spending time with MP before a show?  Maybe it was Chaos DVD.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5027 on: July 18, 2014, 12:38:22 PM »
Ok, here's a totally different topic: How come that in the 20+ years of their existence, DT has never done anything socially conscious? I was just checking on how Rush goes about their Meet & Greet tickets, and the first headline that popped up was "Rush auctions off their front row + M&G tickets for girl with leukemia".
Now, they obviously don't need to be a Bono, but given their substantial impact and visibility, you'd think they would use that, at least occasionally, for a good purpose.

Didn't they just do something a few years back? Why am I thinking that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5028 on: July 18, 2014, 01:18:37 PM »
It's entirely possible that they do that, and just don't publicize it very often.

That's of course possible, but it certainly could only be on a small scale then, i.e. not involving the fans. As an example, they could do a small club gig, auction of the tickets and then donate the proceedings to a charity. And maybe film it like @ Ronnie Scott's.
I dunno, I sometimes wish DT got a bit "smaller" at times again.

« Reply #5029 on: July 19, 2014, 12:19:02 AM »
Wasn't there something on one of the DVDs about some kid with some disease spending time with MP before a show?  Maybe it was Chaos DVD.

Yeah, on Chaos in Motion DVD, there was a kid from the Grant a Wish foundation who wanted to meet MP and stuff. That was cool of them, although they all seemed a bit uncomfortable... At least that's what it seemed like to me.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5030 on: July 19, 2014, 06:40:39 AM »

You mean something like this? https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-photo-book-in-the-works/

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5031 on: July 19, 2014, 07:41:09 AM »
Oh, cool. Weird that it didn't get any coverage here.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #5032 on: July 19, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »
Even if a nu-metal sound can be heard in some of DTs music, who cares. I enjoy a lot of this socalled nu-metal. With DT, can't These Walls be called somewhat nu-metal? One of their best songs IMO.

Recently a friend gave me a CD by the band Bullet For My Valentine. Are they considered nu-metal? They have a mainstream sound but also very heavy with some clear speed metal influence in the music. Anyways, at a bunch of parts the guitar sound reminds me of how JPs guitar sounds on ToT.

But overall, ToT is waaaaay to complicated and long and complex to be considered nu-metal.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #5033 on: July 19, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »
I can honestly say I've never thought of nu-metal while listening to These Walls.

And I'm not saying this as someone who dislikes nu-metal, because I love a lot of it. It's just that DT has almost never sounded remotely "nu-metal", in my view.

« Reply #5034 on: July 19, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
I can honestly say I've never thought of nu-metal while listening to These Walls.

And I'm not saying this as someone who dislikes nu-metal, because I love a lot of it. It's just that DT has almost never sounded remotely "nu-metal", in my view.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5035 on: July 19, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »
I don't hear nu-metal in These Walls. And I listen to it a lot.

"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5036 on: July 19, 2014, 03:54:48 PM »
If i had to slap a label on TW, it would be Pop Metal.

« Reply #5037 on: July 19, 2014, 05:15:55 PM »
To be specific, it's post symphonic emotimetal alt-crunch epipop.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5038 on: July 20, 2014, 12:47:04 AM »
Even if a nu-metal sound can be heard in some of DTs music, who cares. I enjoy a lot of this socalled nu-metal. With DT, can't These Walls be called somewhat nu-metal? One of their best songs IMO.

I think it has qualities to be a nu-metal song with some of the techniques like the guitar style (minus the part that it's tuned to A), and even the synth sounds emulating the sort of electronic vibe that can be an aspect to that sort of of music, it's the kind of song I could imagine a band like Linkin Park writing but I guess that wouldn't necessarily make it strictly nu-metal by association. Also the vocal style probably helps the song shy away form these comparisons. Just wanted to comment on it again cause I can see where you're coming from I think.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5039 on: July 20, 2014, 02:00:15 AM »
I think it has some influence from nu-metal bands, but I wouldn't call it a nu-metal song. It's a modern metal song with nu-metal influences and the usual DT touches. Whatever you want to call it, I love the song, so beyond that I don't care much for classification. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.