Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 989257 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #4445 on: March 31, 2014, 11:41:29 AM »
Yeah, I don't get on with the TEI video - I don't think it works for me. Not very slick, a little bit college movie project, and I don't like the speaking over the intro. Splits the focus too much. On the Backs of Angels is cool, though. Good live visuals, a little repetitious for it but thrifty but striking, and I do like The Looking Glass - nothing special, but pretty and tastefully directed.

I think videos are absolutely as important as they've ever been, though. Frankly, they're more important, now: aside from Pull Me Under, they never got seen in MTV's heyday. Now that we can curate our own playlists, YouTube is the first place most people go to stream music, so that video's now going to be the first thing the next generation of fans is going to see. Give them something cool to look at.

Funnily, the old Dark Eternal Night video is probably the one that best matches the song. TDEN's great heard, but mindblowing witnessed. They seem to have taken it down, now, imagine the video quality's not as competitive any more. Was good, though!

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #4446 on: March 31, 2014, 01:44:30 PM »

Now that we can curate our own playlists, YouTube is the first place most people go to stream music, so that video's now going to be the first thing the next generation of fans is going to see. Give them something cool to look at.

This! Videos are a very important marketing tool!
Exchanging songs with friends today = exchanging videos on youtube!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4447 on: March 31, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
I don't see where you're getting that.  Reception to DT12 seems to be more universally positive.
Uhh not really? Been seeing plenty of people who dislike it and it's in competition for their worst album IMO.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #4448 on: March 31, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »
I don't see where you're getting that.  Reception to DT12 seems to be more universally positive.
Uhh not really? Been seeing plenty of people who dislike it and it's in competition for their worst album IMO.

I believe "universally" meant "mostly", and at least if you use the forum's polls as reference (which are not necessarily the truth but a useful tool to have some sort of idea of how a majority think) the album is mostly praised. Perhaps the opinions which lean the balance towards disliking are more noticeable but, in quantity, most criticism I've read (most likely applies to theseoafs too) inside and outside the forum has been positive.

It's all in the word "universally", though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4449 on: March 31, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »
Agreed.

The naysayers tend to be a bit more vocal...but seriously.  I think a supermajority (which I believe is defined as "greater than 60%") really love the album.   

I would be willing to bet that a HUGE majority would say it was their best since Six Degrees.   I certainly think it's their best since Octavarium (though I'm in the minority in thinking that album is amazing...but it's grown in popularity since its release). 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #4450 on: March 31, 2014, 05:14:47 PM »
Funnily, the old Dark Eternal Night video is probably the one that best matches the song. TDEN's great heard, but mindblowing witnessed. They seem to have taken it down, now, imagine the video quality's not as competitive any more. Was good, though!

Their was a Dark Eternal Night video?  :o I thought I was aware of them all but.. Dam. I haven't seen this, sounds curious.

Another thing that just occurred to me, Is on the modern consoles like Xbox Live for example, I remember a while back typing in Dream Theater into the music section to see what would happen (half expected to not find anything), but all the music vids showed up. From Pull Me Under/Take The Time/Another Day to The Slilent Man/Lie/Hollow Years to Contant Motion/A Rite of Passage/On The Backs of Angels/The Enemy Inside (and weirdly, a Live video of Forsaken from Chaos in Motion I think it was?). Apparently it was premium content that I couldn't access but their was like a 30 second preview for each one, I remember the Forsaken preview was actually a really good moment, just before the vocals get iffy. xD

Anyway, as much as DT couldn't have anticipated it, the only music people using some of these mediums will be exposed to are the old music vids, and the songs that are available on Rock Band.  :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4451 on: March 31, 2014, 05:19:24 PM »
When I first logged on after the album's release, I saw a couple of people kicking up a fuss every time a DT12 track came up on anyone's top fifty list, and thought, "Oh, crikey, did it not go down particularly well?" A few more weeks revealed that, yes, it basically had, and it was just a few people hyping each other up. That's just happenstance, there's at least a handful of people who don't get on with every album; I'm probably one of those guys for Awake - I think it's all right, but but don't like it nearly as much as half the rest of this board does. I think it's a mistake to confuse that with a consensus, though, just as, in fairness, it's a mistake to confuse the consensus of this board with the fanbase at large. Constant Motion got played a lot because it was genuinely beloved - went down a treat at gigs, completely at odds with DTF.

No idea what the rest of the world's doing, but it's my experience that Dream Theater's been received fairly warmly, here.

Their was a Dark Eternal Night video?  :o I thought I was aware of them all but.. Dam. I haven't seen this, sounds curious.
It was just a little in-studio thing - footage of the recording itself - but it was actually the first anyone saw of TDEN! They released the video before the album came out, so we'd already had Constant Motion and then they released this grimy slab of crushing instrumental chaos.

ETA: The original is absolutely nowhere to be seen, no official channels, but it looked a bit like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK-I5FimEeU
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:28:05 PM by robwebster »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #4452 on: March 31, 2014, 05:24:59 PM »
the only music people using some of these mediums will be exposed to are the old music vids, and the songs that are available on Rock Band.  :lol
The music game genre did a lot for DT at the time. Do you know how many teenagers attended the Black Clouds tour wearing DT shirts? Although most the crowd for AFtR was 50-something year old dudes.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4453 on: March 31, 2014, 05:33:50 PM »
The music game genre did a lot for DT at the time. Do you know how many teenagers attended the Black Clouds tour wearing DT shirts? Although most the crowd for AFtR was 50-something year old dudes.

What I noticed is that this time around (at least here) there were SIGNIFICANTLY more women. Younger 20 - 30 something women, in fact. That was quite an interesting (and dramatic) turn of events.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #4454 on: March 31, 2014, 05:51:38 PM »
the only music people using some of these mediums will be exposed to are the old music vids, and the songs that are available on Rock Band.  :lol

Yeah um.. I think you're describing me. I was 19 in 2009 and Black Clouds is the only tour that has come to my country and then they never came back!  :lol And I got exposed to more DT because of music rhythm games.. Oh the shame.  :blush In fairness, they were actually the most fun songs to play, and very satisfying to do well in (constant motion solo was finger destruction). And I really wanted to play the keyboard parts for On The Backs of Angels but never got the keyboard peripheral, which actually plays like the real thing being a genuine (abeit rather flimsy and plastic) 2 octave keyboard. Also, OTBOA was the only song on Rock Band 3 for a while to have the max difficulty rating for nearly every category (excluding vocals).  :xbones

The original is absolutely nowhere to be seen, no official channels, but it looked a bit like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK-I5FimEeU

Thanks for that, many lulz.  :rollin
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:03:02 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #4455 on: March 31, 2014, 06:14:47 PM »

Yeah um.. I think you're describing me. I was 19 in 2009 and Black Clouds is the only tour that has come to my country and then they never came back!  :lol And I got exposed to more DT because of music rhythm games.. Oh the shame. 
It's funny, I got into DT around the same time as all of those posers, and being in 5th-6th grade at the time that's probably what people thought of me. Little did they know that I got into my dad's DT collection and experienced my first eargasm.

I didn't mean to call you a poser, just a joke.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #4456 on: March 31, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
Oh no offence taken at all, I just thought it was funny because I was getting into them around that time too. A bunch of friends of mine went to that concert and were apparently quite into DT at the time and were real excited about the concert and these days they pretend like they never used to like them at all or something, it's weird. For me DT made it's way to being my #1 band and has been retaining that spot for the last 5 years.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:44:39 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4457 on: March 31, 2014, 07:30:02 PM »
My controversial opinion is that the current DTF layout sucks. What the hell?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4458 on: March 31, 2014, 07:30:54 PM »
4/1 bro

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Grizz

« Reply #4460 on: March 31, 2014, 09:26:44 PM »
But... but... He'll save every one of us!

DUN DUN... DEN... DUN DIN...
DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUNBA BA BOOM FLASH... AHH AHHHHHHHH...

« Reply #4461 on: March 31, 2014, 09:40:05 PM »
But... but... He'll save every one of us!

DUN DUN... DEN... DUN DIN...
DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUNBA BA BOOM FLASH... AHH AHHHHHHHH...

See, now there's a Queen song that DT needs to cover!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4462 on: April 05, 2014, 08:30:01 AM »
It's a DTF tradition to change the forum to something else on April 1st. 

If you think Flash Gordon was bad, you would have had a heart attack over some of the past choices lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #4463 on: April 05, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »
Probably not all that controversial but TLG is a close 2nd to IT as the best song on DT and TEI is the least awesome.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

« Reply #4464 on: April 05, 2014, 03:29:49 PM »
Probably not all that controversial but TLG is a close 2nd to IT as the best song on DT and TEI is the least awesome.

Still awesome though. TEI really does stand out. Even though the album is full of shorter songs, they're all still quite grand and melodic, and TEI being the only rocker on it.. It kind of stands out. Maybe they should've had another rocker on the album.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4465 on: April 06, 2014, 02:02:40 AM »
Behind the Veil, Enigma Machine, and False Awakening Suite are all pretty heavy. As are most of the vocal passages in Illumination Theory.

The Looking Glass and Surrender to Reason aren't mega heavy, but they, too, are recognisably rock.

« Reply #4466 on: April 06, 2014, 03:24:59 AM »
Behind the Veil, Enigma Machine, and False Awakening Suite are all pretty heavy. As are most of the vocal passages in Illumination Theory.

Yeah, but BTV is still quite melodic, and doesn't have the same thrashy feel as TEI, which can be compared to songs like Panic Attack, in terms of its intensity. I can't say that about BtV. As for the other two, they might be heavy, but they're also instrumentals and extremely progressive, so I would never call them "Rockers".

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4467 on: April 06, 2014, 04:44:32 AM »
I think that's a false dichotomy. There are Dream Theater songs that more neatly fit one label than the other, but very few songs are just the one label, and no album has defied pigeon-holing more than DT12. The Enemy Inside is a ball of raw energy, it's the thrashiest song on the disc, but it's still heaving with melodic and progressive elements, all tightly packed into six minutes. Surrender to Reason, likewise, is both the murkiest, grimiest song on the album when you get to that gritty instrumental break, but also one of the most uplifting.

Behind the Veil is sort of all things at once. It's not the blitzkrieg of notes that TEI is, but it's a rocker, and it's an anthem, and it's a technical marvel. I think there's a fair argument that Enigma Machine's way heavier than The Enemy Inside.  I don't think belonging to one category disqualifies it from the other. The Enemy Inside's probably the only one on the album where a single category can tell even half the story!

So, yeah, I agree that The Enemy Inside is the only song on the album that particularly sounds like The Enemy Inside... but I think its miles upon miles away from being the only rocker.

« Reply #4468 on: April 06, 2014, 11:38:26 AM »
I still feel like it stands out. Everything that comes after it just fits together so well, but The Enemy Inside is like The Glass Prison on SDOIT. Compared to how the other songs go from melodic and orchestral, to down right atmospheric, TGS, being as heavy as it is, is almost jarring. And sure, on disc 2, we do get really heavy parts like War Inside My Head and The Test That Stumped Them All, but if you consider them a part of a greater whole that is the title song, then they're a very small part of a very progressive, epic and orchestral whole, so The Glass Prison still stands out like a sore thumb on the album for me. Even to a greater extent than TEI. But I guess I'm the only one who finds the presence of those songs jarring, compared to the rest of their respective albums.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4469 on: April 06, 2014, 10:41:47 PM »
I'm not sure whether this is even all that controversial, but having seen them live many times over the years, I have to say James has a problem with intonation. I think they crank up the volume in their concerts to cover that up (and on official releases they patch it up), but when you listen to some more raw recordings of their concerts, he is off-pitch quite a bit.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

« Reply #4470 on: April 06, 2014, 11:16:04 PM »
I'm not sure whether this is even all that controversial, but having seen them live many times over the years, I have to say James has a problem with intonation. I think they crank up the volume in their concerts to cover that up (and on official releases they patch it up), but when you listen to some more raw recordings of their concerts, he is off-pitch quite a bit.

I'm sure he's got on and off days. But I paid close attention to him when I went to see them this year, and he sounded flawless to me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4471 on: April 07, 2014, 12:01:16 AM »
I think he's improved on that front over the past few tours, and has dialed back a bit on the vibrato which covers it up.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4472 on: April 07, 2014, 03:36:35 AM »
Did I read somewhere (I'm sure it might have actually been in Lifting Shadows) that David Prater contends that JLB tends to sing consistently a little flat? That's his contention. I'm not saying whether I agree or not.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Grizz

« Reply #4473 on: April 07, 2014, 06:13:47 PM »
I think the production on FII and Octavarium is a little to bright, to the point of feeling cold. The problem mostly lies in the drums on the former and the vocals on the latter.

On the other end, we have ToT, with way too much guitar gain, too much pig and synthy string sound, and a muddy drum mix that could only be topped by ADToE.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #4474 on: April 07, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »

I contend that it's not controversial at all; nor is it an opinion. It's just a flat (no pun intended) out fact.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #4475 on: April 07, 2014, 08:46:19 PM »
Would it be fair to say something like, The Enemy Inside = Constant Motion = As I Am = A Rite Of Passage = Pull Me Under = Panic Attack = On The Backs Of Angels? (I'd almost say Honor Thy Father, but that one's sorta different somehow, and As I Am kind of fits the bill just a little bit more. Same with Build Me Up Break Me Down, it has all the bits and pieces, it's problem is that OTBOA exists). I'm not just listing singles here, it's just all of these songs seem to serve a similar purpose on the album they originate from. I believe the other albums have a candidate for this idea but it gets more convoluted and subjective to include them all.

But DT songs can definitely be categorised into multiple different categories depending on your definition, so nothing is set. Although to me, The Enemy Inside is the 'hard rocker' by default, essentially the opening track (after an intro), being used as a set opener live, was released as the single. It's non stop energetic. It does actually have a few more elements than the 'hard rockers' of the past but I think it primarily takes this role on the new album. I be careful not to use the word 'heavy' because even though TEI is certainly a heavy song, the tone and technique style plays a huge part in determining if it's 'hard' or 'heavy' (but I'll avoid getting into attempts to describe abstract sounds with common words that can't properly define these ideas, they can only symbolise them).  :mehlin Because as someone mentioned, Enigma Machine is arguably 'heavier' than The Enemy Inside. And the other songs on DT12 seem to represent multiple DT styles.

Considering all that though, it still feels like another 'hard rocker' (for lack of better simple description) would've been nice on DT12 but that's just me. There's more than enough content in the other songs to be happy and I can't expect DT to tred the same ground twice just for the sake of it, but all the songs mentioned at the beginning of this post, I think DT need to make more in the style of. ;)

They're really good at making these songs, but I always think they hold back and only write about 1 every album cycle, trying and stick to their proggy roots which tends to lean away from these 'harder' songs. BUT it absolutely doesn't have to.

Then again they're also good doing 'epicly big' sounding songs, but still structured to a formula (like The Bigger Picture, which for serious lack of a better word is almost a ballad, but it's too HUGE to be considered as such in the traditional sense). And they've been pulling that off pretty well lately (Breaking All Illusions/Bridges In The Sky/Behind The Veil etc.)

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #4476 on: April 08, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »
I think the production on FII and Octavarium is a little to bright, to the point of feeling cold. The problem mostly lies in the drums on the former and the vocals on the latter.

On the other end, we have ToT, with way too much guitar gain, too much pig and synthy string sound, and a muddy drum mix that could only be topped by ADToE.

The drums on both Octavarium and ToT sound amazing. ToT has some of Rudess's best synth sounds and I think the heavy riffs required the gain. No idea what you're going on about.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #4477 on: April 08, 2014, 05:55:25 PM »

The drums on both Octavarium and ToT sound amazing. ToT has some of Rudess's best synth sounds and I think the heavy riffs required the gain. No idea what you're going on about.

I agree; I've never noticed any problems with these things. I've always thought that the drums on ToT were distinctly high quality relative to the rest of DT's catalog.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #4478 on: April 08, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
My main beef with ToT's sound is that one of the trashy cymbals that MP frequently rides on is mixed to be low and inarticulate.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #4479 on: April 09, 2014, 09:12:05 PM »
Something that bugs me a bit is that I find it difficult to know what song or album people are talking about on the forum using abreviation.  I mean, unless you know the band totally by heart, there is no way that it clicks as soon as you read something with abreviation.  It takes more time to write the whole word but it is easier to understand and mostly appreciated.
With all respect, sincerely yours