Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991418 times)

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #3045 on: January 06, 2014, 06:35:45 PM »
I think both Trial of Tears and Voices deserve the acclaim that they tend to receive among fans. I think they represent some of the best music compositionally that DT have ever created.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3046 on: January 06, 2014, 08:03:39 PM »
So how about them controversial DT opinions?

I think Trial of Tears is overrated.

So YOU killed Scorpion!  :o

Does that make him Sub-Zero?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3047 on: January 06, 2014, 08:05:05 PM »
Trial of Tears is a beautiful masterpiece.  I think that the problem people have with it, and that I had with it at first, is that it's slow tempoed. There are no catchy parts for most of the song.  It's a different kind of Dream Theater song and rises above a sea of mediocre songs.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3048 on: January 06, 2014, 08:06:31 PM »
I have no issue with slow tempo songs. ???

I just think DT have better songs.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #3049 on: January 06, 2014, 08:16:12 PM »
I think both Trial of Tears and Voices deserve the acclaim that they tend to receive among fans. I think they represent some of the best music compositionally that DT have ever created.

This.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3050 on: January 06, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
So how about them controversial DT opinions?

I think Trial of Tears is overrated.

So YOU killed Scorpion!  :o

Does that make him Sub-Zero?

"I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your goddamn spine!"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3051 on: January 06, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »
I have no issue with slow tempo songs. ???

I just think DT have better songs.

Okay, maybe that isn't everyone's problem with it then.   :P 

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #3052 on: January 06, 2014, 09:35:25 PM »
I like Trial of Tears, but I think Voices is overrated.
Trial of Tears is a boring snoozefest. Voices is their best song damnit.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #3053 on: January 07, 2014, 01:53:06 AM »
Trial of Tears is far superior to anything on I&W OR Awake.

EDIT: Except for LTL.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:17:45 AM by JiM-Xtreme »

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #3054 on: January 07, 2014, 02:11:31 AM »

Now that IS controversial!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #3055 on: January 07, 2014, 02:29:48 AM »

Now that IS controversial!

Haha... completely forgot about LTL when I made that post! Although now I've made that edit it kinda reduces the impact of that claim.  :P

« Reply #3056 on: January 07, 2014, 02:59:43 AM »
Haha... completely forgot about LTL when I made that post! Although now I've made that edit it kinda reduces the impact of that claim.  :P

Reduces, but doesn't eliminate. There's still Metropolis.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #3057 on: January 07, 2014, 04:08:00 AM »
Still like ToT more!  ;D

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3058 on: January 07, 2014, 04:17:07 AM »
Trial of Tears didn't do anything for me the first time I heard it. After that, I can recall skipping it a couple of times at the "it's raining part". Now I think it might be the best thing DT has ever written. This is the best kind of experience music can offer.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3059 on: January 07, 2014, 09:00:01 AM »
Voices is the worst song on Awake.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #3060 on: January 07, 2014, 09:09:09 AM »

I'm curious; do you mean you enjoy it the least/it does nothing for you, or is there another reason why you truly believe it is musically terrible?

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #3061 on: January 07, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »

:hifive: totally agree

And Trial Of Tears is a masterpiece

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3062 on: January 07, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »
I relistened to Enigma Machine a couple of days ago and came to the conclusion that it's a bottom 10 DT song... I just don't like it :-\

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #3063 on: January 07, 2014, 01:37:35 PM »
I could never get into Trial of Tears. The song never did anything for me, I just thought the solos were cool and that was it. I don't think it's overrated however, I can see the appeal and the "masterpiece" in the song. I just feel absolutely nothing when I listen to it. Perhaps I just haven't listened to it enough (only a few times here or there), but as of now it misses out on my top 50 :lol I feel like that is at least a bit controversial.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #3064 on: January 07, 2014, 02:04:33 PM »
Falling Into Infinity and When Dream And Day Unite are better than Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.

"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

« Reply #3065 on: January 07, 2014, 02:30:11 PM »
Falling Into Infinity and When Dream And Day Unite are better than Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.

I'd say FII is more consistent.

WDADU, though... Not so much.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3066 on: January 07, 2014, 09:10:28 PM »

Just no.

Although FII is an excellent album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3067 on: January 07, 2014, 09:35:01 PM »

OK - you asked for it............

I agree  ;D

But then (aside from SDOIT Disc Two) there's only the odd track on each disc I really love in the run from SDOIT to SC  (or in the case of SDOIT Disc One ,parts of tracks) , so I'm in a very small minority - in a phone box actually.  The other albums I :hefdaddy

Hopefully at least ? will be proud of us :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:48:32 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #3068 on: January 08, 2014, 12:19:12 AM »

Just no.  :tup :tup :tup :tup

Although FII is an.....album.  :P :P :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:25:02 AM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3069 on: January 08, 2014, 04:06:43 AM »
Falling Into Infinity and When Dream And Day Unite are is better than Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.
Fixed for me.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3070 on: January 08, 2014, 04:45:19 AM »
DT are not that good live.

Let me justify this, if I may. I first saw DT at a small club (800 people) in about 1993 and they blew my f*cking socks off. I've seen them play larger and larger venues in the UK until October 2005, when they played 2 nights at the Hammersmith Apollo (a 5,000 capacity theater), the second of these was the DSOTM performance. Every single time they blew me away. So far, so good.

After that, things went a bit downhill. They moved up to Wembley Arena (12,500 capacity), where they've played every tour since. And as a result, I haven't enjoyed the shows as much - this venue is just too big for DT, and they're kind of lost in it - I know they're popular, but their brand of music just isn't arena suitable, IMO. Their Wembley shows have gone downhill, partially as a result of a pretty poor show on the BC&SL tour, which has seen the rear of the venue curtained-off, and even the side tiers empty. On the last tour I think they played Silent Man and Beneath The Surface, but the shit acoustics in this cattle-shed venue mean that all I could hear was a-holes in the audience talking loudly to each other all the way thru.

All of which is fine as far as it goes. On the last few tours I've travelled to Leeds to see the band in a smaller and more suitable venue, and they've been f*cking brilliant, and I've had a great time. Next month I'm off to Wolves to see them there.

But the downside is the huge increase in ticket prices. I've got all my old ticket stubs, and they're all in the UKP30-40 bracket. Suddenly they're up to UKP60, and even UKP90 if you want a good seat. Rush put on a stonking arena show, one of the best I've ever seen, for UKP66. DT's show, both sound-wise and visually, just doesn't compare. The sound at DT shows has always been too harsh, and since they stopped rotating setlists, the setlist selection hasn't been that inspired either. The cost of travelling to Leeds - Wolves has also added to the overall cost, of course. 

So for a variety of reasons, I just don't enjoy DT shows as much as I used to. Perhaps I'm just getting old.

I'm off to Wembley next month to see them, but it was a post-Xmas afterthought rather than an essential concert experience. I'm travelling to Wolves the day after to see them again. It's costing me a fortune.

I suspect these might be my last DT shows for a while. I still love the band, but seeing them live is no longer the essential it once was. DT live just ain't that good.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #3071 on: January 08, 2014, 05:31:26 AM »
Fair do's. I don't understand the sudden drastic increase in UK ticket prices either, although to be fair I don't know how much that has to do with the actual band. Maybe it's just an industry thing.

Another thing I don't get is why so many DT shows are seated events now. I hate being stuck in one place and not being able to venture up to the front.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3072 on: January 08, 2014, 05:36:39 AM »
Seating is fine for Barry Manilow or Lionel Ritchie concerts. Rock n' Roll is best enjoyed standing, goddammit. Put seats round the sides/back for those who want 'em, and leave the stalls general admission standing.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3073 on: January 08, 2014, 06:04:26 AM »
Oh, I thought you meant they weren't a good live band, that would have been indeed controversial.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

« Reply #3074 on: January 08, 2014, 06:15:45 AM »
Oh, I thought you meant they weren't a good live band, that would have been indeed controversial.

And insane.

As for the seated venues, I personally prefer it that way. I already go to enough concerts where people desperately try to push their way to the front to such extent where things are so uncomfortable you almost can't enjoy the music. I mean, i'm lucky cause I'm a relatively stronger guy and I can actually maintain my spot up front, but even then, if I want to go to the bathroom, it's impossible without losing my spot up front for good.
With seated venues, you know exactly where you're gonna be when you buy your ticket, and nobody can take that away from you. And you don't have to squish together with a bunch of assholes who just shove their way to the front without giving a crap about the people who got there extra early just so they could be in the front row.
It depends on the band, too. Some bands lend themselves better to a loud, crazy, borderline violent atmosphere with mosh pits and people cramming their way to the front. But Dream Theater is definitely not one of those bands. When I go to a DT show, I really want to be able to enjoy the music, and I think it's a lot easier when you have your seat, and a certain amount of personal space around you. Especially when you get VIP tickets and end up with posters, or signed CD or whatever else you have on you that you don't want ruined.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3075 on: January 08, 2014, 06:40:10 AM »
The problem with seated venues is if you get a seat behind a group of drunken yahoos who seem intent on talking to each other all the way thru the show. You can't move away from them.

« Reply #3076 on: January 08, 2014, 07:12:32 AM »
The problem with seated venues is if you get a seat behind a group of drunken yahoos who seem intent on talking to each other all the way thru the show. You can't move away from them.

Well, when it comes to acoustics, it's really something that should be addressed at the venue. Obviously, you can't have the same volume and quality of music consistent in every little corner of the venue, but they still need to make sure that it's loud enough throughout the entire venue.

Although quite frankly, I can't even fathom why someone would go to a Dream Theater concert, just to get drunk and talk to their friends throughout the whole thing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3077 on: January 08, 2014, 07:51:47 AM »

I'd call DT a good live band, but not great.  I mean, they are great if you are merely into watching a handful of guys stand there and play technically proficient music really well, but other than that, from a visual standpoint, there is usually very little about them that is outstanding.  Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the hell out of it almost every time I have seen them, but that is more because of my love for their music. 

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #3078 on: January 08, 2014, 07:57:32 AM »
Although the majority of concerts I go to are standing room-only, I do prefer DT to have seating as well just because they aren't the type of band you need to be crowding at the front and moshing for, which is usually the case for standing room indoor venues.  I get a better, consistent view of the band with seating and, as mentioned before, I don't need to be worried about losing my place if I want to get a drink.  And frankly, I like the opportunity to sit during songs I'm not as enthusiastic about, especially because DT concerts can run pretty long, whether it's Evening With format or no.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3079 on: January 08, 2014, 08:02:40 AM »

I'd call DT a good live band, but not great.  I mean, they are great if you are merely into watching a handful of guys stand there and play technically proficient music really well, but other than that, from a visual standpoint, there is usually very little about them that is outstanding.  Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the hell out of it almost every time I have seen them, but that is more because of my love for their music.

This, completely. I mean, they've gotten a ton better over the years, but it's still for the most part a somewhat rigid performance. DT just doesn't have a strong front man who engages the crowd.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."