Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991494 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2975 on: January 05, 2014, 05:07:05 PM »
Enter Sandman = Peruvian Skies.

Only the heavier riffs. The more melodic parts, such as the beginning of the song, sound nothing like Metallica.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline davidolson22

« Reply #2976 on: January 05, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »
As I Am is awesome, and definitely has a Metallica vibe.  But as far as definite 'nods' (i'd prefer to call them 'rips') Enter Sandman = Peruvian Skies.

Now that's funny. I agree that the main riff sounds similar to Enter Sandman, however the song as a whole doesn't seem to me to have much of a Metallica style.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2977 on: January 05, 2014, 05:27:42 PM »
 :\ i guess thats because when its not ripping ES its busy being derivative of Pink Floyd, The Beatles and Hendrix.  Still a great song tho.  Off a great album.

Only the heavier riffs. The more melodic parts, such as the beginning of the song, sound nothing like Metallica.

Well the heavier riffs are built off the clean chord progressions in the start, yeah? Which in itself is the essence of ES.

« Reply #2978 on: January 05, 2014, 05:35:19 PM »
Well the heavier riffs are built off the clean chord progressions in the start, yeah? Which in itself is the essence of ES.

Perhaps, but still, if you take Peruvian Skies, and that whole more melodic, softer part at the beginning absolutely does not remind me of Enter Sandman or anything Metallica related in any way.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2979 on: January 05, 2014, 05:39:50 PM »

Perhaps, but still, if you take Peruvian Skies, and that whole more melodic, softer part at the beginning absolutely does not remind me of Enter Sandman or anything Metallica related in any way.

Meh.  I always thought it was pretty obvious.  Even more glaringly obvious when you hear it on Once in a Livetime :lol

« Reply #2980 on: January 05, 2014, 05:56:04 PM »
Meh.  I always thought it was pretty obvious.  Even more glaringly obvious when you hear it on Once in a Livetime :lol

In fact it never occurred to me at all until I did hear that performance.

But hey, I thought that Enter Sandman's influence on As I Am was glaringly obvious, but apparently, some people don't hear it, so there's all sorts of craziness in this world, apparently.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2981 on: January 05, 2014, 05:59:55 PM »

But hey, I thought that Enter Sandman's influence on As I Am was glaringly obvious, but apparently, some people don't hear it, so there's all sorts of craziness in this world, apparently.

I dunno about ES but I definitely hear the Metallica vibe in AIA.  I don't know what Blob's on :lol

« Reply #2982 on: January 05, 2014, 06:02:50 PM »

I dunno about ES but I definitely hear the Metallica vibe in AIA.  I don't know what Blob's on :lol

For the record, ES in this case stands for Enter Sandman, not Endless Sacrifice.  :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2983 on: January 05, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »

For the record, ES in this case stands for Enter Sandman, not Endless Sacrifice.  :lol

Oh whoops.  I'd been using ES to mean Enter Sandman anyway on account of the fact that I hate Endless Sacrifice.

lolcontroversy

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2984 on: January 05, 2014, 07:54:46 PM »

Maybe it's a case of what I'm not on. :biggrin: In almost a decade on this forum, this is the first I've ever heard of As I Am having any resemblance to Enter Sandman. Given that I've been very familiar with both songs for over a decade, if there was any resemblance, it's something I would have noticed.
I think a lot of people have very "vague" ears. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2985 on: January 05, 2014, 07:56:03 PM »

Maybe it's a case of what I'm not on. :biggrin:

Why, did you stop taking your medication again?

:neverusethis:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2986 on: January 05, 2014, 07:58:04 PM »

Maybe it's a case of what I'm not on. :biggrin:

Why, did you stop taking your medication again?

:neverusethis:

I must have if I let you out of your cage. Get back in there!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2987 on: January 05, 2014, 07:58:43 PM »
 :sadpanda:  okay
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2988 on: January 06, 2014, 04:00:23 AM »

Maybe it's a case of what I'm not on. :biggrin: In almost a decade on this forum, this is the first I've ever heard of As I Am having any resemblance to Enter Sandman. Given that I've been very familiar with both songs for over a decade, if there was any resemblance, it's something I would have noticed.
I think a lot of people have very "vague" ears. :biggrin:
You really claim that 6:50 of As I Am, with the riff and the "as I aaeaam...yeah" part doesn't show any resemblance to Metallica? It's like James is doing a James impression. Can't believe this has been going on for three pages now. :lolpalm:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #2989 on: January 06, 2014, 04:19:54 AM »
I forgot that structurally and stylistically, ES and SoC share ideas with WH and Orion respectively. Kind of like I&W and ADTOE. Sound the same... not really at all.

Actually, the "similarity" between SoC and Orion is something that occurred to me the other day. I mean, I haven't looked at it in any detail but I doubt that even the structure has that much in common, but I'm sure that SoC was intended to invoke Orion vibes when it was written. Especially when you look at it's placement on the album, as the penultimate track.

Offline 425

« Reply #2990 on: January 06, 2014, 04:35:45 AM »

Ummm... Have you heard Bleeding Me before? The intro to it and the intro to Peruvian Skies sound very similar.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

« Reply #2991 on: January 06, 2014, 05:31:40 AM »
Ummm... Have you heard Bleeding Me before?

No, I have not.

Offline 425

« Reply #2992 on: January 06, 2014, 05:46:14 AM »
Give it a listen. It's one of the best songs on Load (actually, I think it's one of the best Metallica songs period) and you'll recognize the inspiration for that Peruvian Skies intro right away.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2993 on: January 06, 2014, 05:56:50 AM »

Ummm... Have you heard Bleeding Me before? The intro to it and the intro to Peruvian Skies sound very similar.

Yes, they do have their similarities. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2994 on: January 06, 2014, 06:01:03 AM »
They're not that close either. They both start with a similar tempo clean guitar in E (Eb in the case of Metallica, but they're playing in E, so close enough) with a vaguely similar bluesy vibe (which is nothing unique), but that's faaaaaaaar from inspiration.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2995 on: January 06, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »
Inspired or not As I Am is better than anything Metallica has ever written. Period.

Offline davidolson22

« Reply #2996 on: January 06, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »
Some Dream Theater songs seem to be inspired by James Bond:

(Die) Another Day
(The world is) Never Enough

Maybe I'm imagining it though

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2997 on: January 06, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »
"Seasons change and so can I"

"Seasons change and so did I, you need not wonder whyyyyyyyyyyyy" -I forget the name of this song
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

« Reply #2998 on: January 06, 2014, 09:35:27 AM »
Inspired or not As I Am is better than anything Metallica has ever written. Period.

Well, that's a given.

As I Am is awesome enough to have inspired Metallica's Black Album 12 years prior to its own release.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2999 on: January 06, 2014, 09:47:12 AM »

Well, that's a given.

As I Am is awesome enough to have inspired Metallica's Black Album 12 years prior to its own release.

Nah, I think it actually inspired MAster of Puppets instead, which makes As I Am even MORE awesome!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3000 on: January 06, 2014, 09:54:51 AM »

Well, that's a given.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

« Reply #3001 on: January 06, 2014, 10:01:08 AM »
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Stupid writing and lack of tone. No, it's not sarcasm. As I Am kicks more ass than any Metallica song.  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3002 on: January 06, 2014, 10:07:34 AM »

Yep, the similarity there was blatantly obvious to me the very first time I heard Peruvian Skies.  That's up there with This Dying Soul/Blackened, Solitary Shell/Yes, etc. as far as similarities in DT songs that were obvious to me on the first listen.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3003 on: January 06, 2014, 10:25:53 AM »
DT's my favorite band, but there are so many better Metallica songs than As I Am.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #3004 on: January 06, 2014, 10:51:07 AM »
DT's my favorite band, but there are so many better Metallica songs than As I Am.

I really don't have a favorite band, but pretty much this.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3005 on: January 06, 2014, 11:56:42 AM »

I only really ever liked the Black Album, but let's be honest here, at least half of the songs on it are better than As I Am.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3006 on: January 06, 2014, 12:02:05 PM »
 I really liked Metallica up to the Black Album. Since then they went down Pop Music Lane, and then sounded way too forced when they tried to come back to more "organic" metal.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3007 on: January 06, 2014, 12:04:28 PM »
Metallica doesn't do much for me these days.  I've grown bored with them.  There are maybe a handful of songs I'd probably say are still good to me and with the exception of Bleeding Me, none of them are more recent than the Black Album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3008 on: January 06, 2014, 12:09:20 PM »
I really liked Metallica up to the Black Album. Since then they went down Pop Music Lane, and then sounded way too forced when they tried to come back to more "organic" metal.

???

I won't defend a lot of the crap they've put out in the last 20 years, but Pop Music Lane?  What songs on Load, ReLoad or St. Anger sound like pop music?  I'd love to know.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3009 on: January 06, 2014, 12:17:34 PM »
 Not pop like LAdy GAga or Miley Cyrus, but more like Bon Jovi, Cinderella etc...

Example of songs like that: Hero of the Day, Until It Sleeps, that Mission Impossible song and a bunch of others. Then they tried to return to a heavier sound, and an aberration called St. Anger came to life.