Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 991297 times)

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #1295 on: August 19, 2013, 09:59:45 PM »
Yeah Yeah, and SDOIT really reminds me of Relayer!

:facepalm:

Gates of Delirium is awesome!  Topographic Oceans, on the other hand, seems to just meander aimlessly through a nebulous idea that was never fully developed.  It sounds like they didn't have a plan and just started jamming.  With SFAM, all the songs just seem to blend together as one--but not in a good way like the title track of SDOIT.  They blend together because they're all of the same narrow tone/mood/sound/whatever and there's little dynamism in this area, and there's not enough hook-based parts to give it some shape.  There has to be a balance between having a hook/riff and jamming/meandering in between.  Close to the Edge is perfect in this balance.

Okay, I see what you're getting at.

For me, SFAM has the hooks, and is very dynamic. But for some reason I find it very unlistenable.

Close to the Edge is the essence of life and nature itself put into music over 40 minutes. The only thing that DT has done that I compare to CTTE is Images and Words. Maybe.

I'm not sure if this is necessarily controversial, but Breaking All Illusions is a top 5 song for me. Probably #4 behind LTL, ACOS, and 8VM.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1296 on: August 19, 2013, 11:19:43 PM »
SFAM is way too concept-y and is one of their worst albums.  Reminds me of Tales of Topographic Oceans by Yes.

Sometimes I think freedom of speech is a bad idea.

:lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1297 on: August 20, 2013, 12:04:37 AM »
Okay, I see what you're getting at.

For me, SFAM has the hooks, and is very dynamic. But for some reason I find it very unlistenable.

Close to the Edge is the essence of life and nature itself put into music over 40 minutes. The only thing that DT has done that I compare to CTTE is Images and Words. Maybe.

I'm not sure if this is necessarily controversial, but Breaking All Illusions is a top 5 song for me. Probably #4 behind LTL, ACOS, and 8VM.

Yeah, there are some hooks, etc.  But it's more that both albums (Tales, SFAM) were both based entirely on one idea (Tales on four tenants of Buddhism, SFAM on one song).  Both bands had a much smaller amount of material and tried to stretch it out into an epic album (Rick Wakeman pretty much temporarily quit the band he was so frustrated with TOTO, saying that there was a few good parts, but there was so much filler in between that they just put in to make it longer, and Metropolis part 2 was based on a 20-minute song they basically turned into an album).  There's good parts of each album, to be sure, but the filler in between seems to drag on and not be very creative or interesting.

I don't actually think SFAM is their worst album.  SC or BC&SL probably are.  But I think it's down there for me.  I would have rather they stuck with Metropolis Part 2 as just a 20-minute song and then added in some other unreleased material or composed totally different songs stylistically.  I'm not a fan of concept albums in general, as I think they just limit (rather than enhance) the band's creativity.  If you have 1:20:00 minutes of music based on the same concept, it just starts to drag on and on and isn't very dynamic or stylistically diverse.  Although I am a pretty big fan of the SDOIT title track, so it can be done.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Ruba

« Reply #1298 on: August 20, 2013, 02:27:36 AM »
IWBY isn't that bad, it's probably my favorite U2 song :neverusethis:

Oh come on, now. I Walk Beside You is better than any song U2 ever put out.

No.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1299 on: August 20, 2013, 02:58:12 AM »
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1300 on: August 20, 2013, 03:04:40 AM »

Not just the best song from 8V  but best song from the whole band!

Let's not get carried away, now.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1301 on: August 20, 2013, 04:20:37 AM »
There is not a single second on SFAM that I would consider to be filler. Okay, maybe the samples/noises outro of Finally Free could be a little shorter, but the actual music? No.

Quote from: adastra
link=topic=35056.msg1652178#msg1652178 date=1376989092
*quote pyramid*

No

Offline adastra

« Reply #1302 on: August 20, 2013, 05:45:57 AM »
There is not a single second on SFAM that I would consider to be filler. Okay, maybe the samples/noises outro of Finally Free could be a little shorter, but the actual music? No.

Quote from: adastra
link=topic=35056.msg1652178#msg1652178 date=1376989092
*quote pyramid*

No

Umm.. yes? Go somewhere else with your wrong opinions  :P
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1303 on: August 20, 2013, 05:51:56 AM »
A song that is the fourth best on its album can't possibly be the best by the band ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1304 on: August 20, 2013, 05:56:41 AM »

Let's not get carried away, now.

I like it but there's just no way that it beats the title track.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: August 20, 2013, 06:03:25 AM »
Actually this is the thread for the "wrong" opinions.  :biggrin:

Offline adastra

« Reply #1306 on: August 20, 2013, 06:10:10 AM »
A song that is the fourth best on its album can't possibly be the best by the band ;)

I guess I'm the only who thinks its the best ._.

Actually this is the thread for the "wrong" opinions.  :biggrin:

Haha  ;D

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #1307 on: August 20, 2013, 08:41:49 AM »
I like As I Am, more than The Glass Prison.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: August 20, 2013, 08:55:55 AM »
I kinda agree with you chaotic, The Glass prison is a bit too long for my tastes.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1309 on: August 20, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »
TGP used to be my #1 DT song, now I'm not sure if it's even in my top 20 anymore.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1310 on: August 20, 2013, 09:19:20 AM »
TGP used to be my #1 DT song, now I'm not sure if it's even in my top 20 anymore.

TGP used to be a top 10 DT song for me as well, but it has since fallen out of my top 20 as I feel it drags on too long; I hardly ever have the urge to listen to it any more  :-\ I'll throw in a controversial opinion in while I'm at it: I'd rather listen to TMoLS at this point and would also rank it higher. I realize the song is longer, but for some reason it just doesn't feel as tiresome to me to listen to.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1311 on: August 20, 2013, 09:21:56 AM »
Me too.

And since we had some I Walk Beside You discussion earlier: I'd rather listen to IWBY instead of TGP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: August 20, 2013, 09:22:23 AM »
Me too.

And since we had some I Walk Beside You discussion earlier: I'd rather listen to IWBY at this point.

Well now you're just being silly.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1313 on: August 20, 2013, 09:33:47 AM »
I don't even like TGP that much. In fact, it's my least favorite of SDOIT.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: August 20, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »
I thought this was the controversial opinion thread, not the wrong opinion thread. :neverusethis:

TGP is DT's best metal song, easily.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1315 on: August 20, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
My contraversial opinion (not truth but opinion)

Derek Sherinian was the best keyboardist DT had, followed by Kevin, and finally the beared android.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline efx

« Reply #1316 on: August 20, 2013, 10:22:10 AM »

Derek Sherinian was the best keyboardist DT had, followed by Kevin, and finally the beared android.

I kind of agree with that.

My own personal "controversial opinion": I just can't get into SFAM. Bought it on release in 99, met the band the same day on LI for a signing. Ended up front row at the Roseland ballroom show for the DVD and still it never clicked with me. I can think of a few reasons why but considering all that I got to experience relating to that album it is a bit strange that it's at the bottom of the albums I listen to from them.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1317 on: August 20, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »
There is not a single second on SFAM that I would consider to be filler. Okay, maybe the samples/noises outro of Finally Free could be a little shorter, but the actual music?

In my opinion, you could lop off the entire first 20 minutes of the album, and dramatically shorten Beyond This Life.  Also, I really do not like The Spirit Carries On.  It seems too much like a color-by-numbers power ballad--of which DT seems to have a few too many in the two albums post-Moore.  I miss ballads like Surrounded and Space Dye Vest.  They're more than just a reverb-y acoustic guitar, a reverb-y piano, and some heartfelt vocals.

For me, the album gets good once Through Her Eyes starts, and crecendos with Home.  At least home uses some different scales and at parts is driven by synth/bass instead of just a distorted guitar, and the female vocals on THE are a sound not yet heard with DT (and a very good idea).  Since Moore left, the band's sound has progressively been getting narrower and narrower, and this album has few exceptions.  Nearly every song after this album is either 1) distorted guitar-driven in a minor scale that changes to diminished during the jam session 2) a reverb-y power ballad with acoustic guitar and piano, or 3) a rock opera composed of the intermixing of both.  I&W and Awake have a number of songs mixed in driven by synth and/or bass: Surrounded, LSOAD, the majority of Scarred, SDV, 6:00, LTL, and parts of TTT.  Post-Moore, the synth and bass have basically moved into a supporting role beefing up a distorted guitar riff, less a few times where they pop their heads out for a cool bass lick or a ragtime solo.  ;)
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: August 20, 2013, 10:28:11 AM »

:\

Offline jsbru

« Reply #1319 on: August 20, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »

I don't think this is too far off.  Derek had more of a jazzy/bluesy style.  Moore is just all over the place, but his tones definitely stood out more and were more exotic.  Rudess seems to just blend in.  I think the conflict in styles between the keyboard and the band actually adds more to the music rather than less.  They picked JR because he was easy to work with based on LTE, but that's part of the problem.  If everybody in the room is "easy to work with," you start becoming a victim of groupthink, and fall into a creative rut.  A manageable amount of personality/style clashing is good, IMO.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline nicbor87

« Reply #1320 on: August 20, 2013, 10:48:42 AM »

Petrucci plays keys?  :laugh:

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1321 on: August 20, 2013, 11:06:48 AM »

Derek Sherinian was the best keyboardist DT had, followed by Kevin, and finally the beared iOS.
I don't agree with your opinion, but FTFY.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1322 on: August 20, 2013, 12:08:15 PM »
Me too.

And since we had some I Walk Beside You discussion earlier: I'd rather listen to IWBY at this point.

Well now you're just being silly.

I really don't think we will ever agree on anything DT related. TGP is great, but I think it's a bit too long, and for what it is, IWBY is absolutely perfect.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1323 on: August 20, 2013, 12:15:49 PM »
Thought I didn't have many at first, but looking back... Well, here we go.

Dominici sounds good on Afterlife, and actually a large portion of WDADU. I just don't think he sounds good live.

Which brings me to another point, I've never listened to WDADU in full.

These Walls is overrated.

Space Dye Vest is overrated. Slightly.

SFAM is great for the first couple of listens, but VERY quickly loses it's shine as a whole. Almost more so than any other DT album. I think the songs individually are great though.

Train of Thought as a whole is cumbersome and a bit boring, despite being on the shorter side. Again, I like each individual song.

:huh:

Sorry Lucien, I know this was your #1  ;D I think it's a great song, and I see why people like it (the chorus is nice), but to me it just sounds kind of generic among the rest of the album. It just never got ahold of me, there's a good number of other DT songs that I haven't caught on either however. Maybe it will grow on me in time.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1324 on: August 20, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
Well, I think A Change of Seasons is overrated.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1325 on: August 20, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »
I think I have to agree

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #1326 on: August 20, 2013, 12:23:34 PM »
Also, I think TGD is a bit underrated, but I don't really know if that's highly controversial.

:hat

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1327 on: August 20, 2013, 12:27:36 PM »

I like The Shattered Fortress more than The Glass Prison.

Also, I think TGD is a bit underrated, but I don't really know if that's highly controversial.
I think its OVERrated. I constantly see people singing praises to it, so I really wouldn't call it underrated.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Lucien

« Reply #1328 on: August 20, 2013, 12:29:10 PM »
I like The Shattered Fortress more than The Glass Prison.

I like The Root of All Evil more than either of those.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1329 on: August 20, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »
IMO the twelve step suite got weaker with every song.