Your Controversial Opinions on DT

Started by Lucidity, December 17, 2012, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

I've been a DT fan for 4 years and have never seen anyone call I&W the weakest album before :omg: Well, there's a first time for everything.

wasteland

Quote from: Pocket Fulla Shells on August 18, 2013, 08:39:58 AM
Images and Words is their weakest album to date - it lacks a truly great song in my eyes and Metropolis is horribly overrated. If anything, James LaBrie is the star of that song.

And we have a winner, people! :D

aprilethereal

Not the weakest, but definitely the fourth weakest. And if it wasn't for   Metropolis and UAGM, it would be the third weakest for sure.

BlobVanDam

IaW wasn't even the weakest DT album by the time it was released. :lol

I just don't understand.

I just don't understand.

aprilethereal

But it already was the second weakest ::)

Kotowboy

I haven't heard the debut - but Awake is pretty much the only album I can't listen to all the way through.

?

wasteland

Quote from: Kotowboy on August 18, 2013, 09:25:02 AM
I haven't heard the debut - but Awake is pretty much the only album I can't listen to all the way through.

You have never listened to When Dream And  Day Unite?  :o

Kotowboy

Never. I always put a song on then the production and singing just kills it.

wasteland

Quote from: Kotowboy on August 18, 2013, 09:33:15 AM
Never. I always put a song on then the production and singing just kills it.

Oh, but you know the songs, right? If that's so, then I'm alright with that, I never listen to the original disc either.

Kotowboy

I am aware of their existence and place in the overall DreamTheater canon.

aprilethereal

You can't listen to Awake all the way through? :omg:

The Boomr

Images and Words is their weakest album to date - it lacks a truly great song in my eyes and Metropolis is horribly overrated. If anything, James LaBrie is the star of that song.

But, but...Swimming in a lake of fire! ..... ???

Zook

Quote from: The Boomr on August 18, 2013, 10:59:25 AM

But, but...Swimming in a lake of fire! ..... ???

He likes Rage Against the Machine. What do you expect? :D

Nearmyth

Thought I didn't have many at first, but looking back... Well, here we go.

Dominici sounds good on Afterlife, and actually a large portion of WDADU. I just don't think he sounds good live.

Which brings me to another point, I've never listened to WDADU from beginning to end.

These Walls is overrated.

Space Dye Vest is overrated. Slightly.

SFAM I feel loses it's shine quickly compared to other DT albums, but each individual song is great.

Train of Thought as a whole is cumbersome and a bit boring, despite being on the shorter side. Again, I like each individual song.

Lucien

Quote from: Nearmyth on August 19, 2013, 12:17:04 AM

Dominici sounds good on Afterlife, and actually a large portion of WDADU. I just don't think he sounds good live.

Which brings me to another point, I've never listened to WDADU in full.

SFAM is great for the first couple of listens, but VERY quickly loses it's shine as a whole. Almost more so than any other DT album. I think the songs individually are great though.

Train of Thought as a whole is cumbersome and a bit boring, despite being on the shorter side. Again, I like each individual song.

:huh:

aprilethereal

Quote from: Nearmyth on August 19, 2013, 12:17:04 AM

Which brings me to another point, I've never listened to WDADU in full.

SFAM is great for the first couple of listens, but VERY quickly loses it's shine as a whole. Almost more so than any other DT album. I think the songs individually are great though.

Disagreed with all of this. Apart from the Dominici statement and me loving the individual songs as well.

Zook

I might listen to individual songs from the latter albums more, but as a whole, When Dream and Day Unite is better than Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

GasparXR

Quote from: Zook on August 19, 2013, 08:19:03 AM
I might listen to individual songs from the latter albums more, but as a whole, When Dream and Day Unite is better than Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

I agree 100% with this statement.

The Stray Seed

Quote from: wasteland on August 18, 2013, 08:44:32 AM

And we have a winner, people! :D

:facepalm:

jsbru

SFAM is way too concept-y and is one of their worst albums.  Reminds me of Tales of Topographic Oceans by Yes.

Blackfield

Quote from: jsbru on August 19, 2013, 11:45:07 AM
SFAM is way too concept-y and is one of their worst albums.  Reminds me of Tales of Topographic Oceans by Yes.

Sometimes I think freedom of speech is a bad idea.

jsbru

You asked for controversy...I'll give you controversy.  ;D

Onno

Quote from: Blackfield on August 19, 2013, 11:58:44 AM

:rollin

?

TheGreatPretender

Quote from: ? on August 19, 2013, 12:45:24 PM
IWBY isn't that bad, it's probably my favorite U2 song :neverusethis:

Oh come on, now. I Walk Beside You is better than any song U2 ever put out.

aXygnus

The Answer Lies Within is my favorite song off Octavarium other than the title-track itself.

Lucien

These Walls is my favorite Dream Theater song. Ever.

Kotowboy

Quote from: Lucien on August 19, 2013, 01:35:30 PM
These Walls is my favorite Dream Theater song. Ever.

Mine is either Octavarium or Lines In The Sand.

Lucidity

Quote from: aXygnus on August 19, 2013, 01:34:07 PM
The Answer Lies Within is my favorite song off Octavarium other than the title-track itself.

Yesyesyes. Such a great song. So underrated.

aprilethereal

Quote from: Blackfield on August 19, 2013, 11:58:44 AM

Sometimes I agree with you.

FourthHorseman

Yeah Yeah, and SDOIT really reminds me of Relayer!

jsbru

Quote from: FourthHorseman on August 19, 2013, 03:01:31 PM
Yeah Yeah, and SDOIT really reminds me of Relayer!

Gates of Delirium is awesome!  Topographic Oceans, on the other hand, seems to just meander aimlessly through a nebulous idea that was never fully developed.  It sounds like they didn't have a plan and just started jamming.  With SFAM, all the songs just seem to blend together as one--but not in a good way like the title track of SDOIT.  They blend together because they're all of the same narrow tone/mood/sound/whatever and there's little dynamism in this area, and there's not enough hook-based parts to give it some shape.  There has to be a balance between having a hook/riff and jamming/meandering in between.  Close to the Edge is perfect in this balance.