Author Topic: Asking for advice from the DTF's old(er) members.  (Read 4080 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Asking for advice from the DTF's old(er) members.
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2021, 07:12:32 AM »
Just came across this thread.. I'll just say..
Too much wisdom for one page!
Holy crap.  Long time no see!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2021, 07:29:16 AM »
Hello Heff... I lurk every now and again.... Wanted to say hi this time. 
I couldn't help actually after seeing that much wisdom...from the chef and the king ☺️

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2021, 07:32:24 AM »
:djhef:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2021, 09:22:32 AM »

Holy mother of god!  How the hell are you?

:obscuredbyclouds:

Very well Chad, yourself? :)

About as good as can be hoped for and expected in a global pandemic.  Moved a couple years ago - almost 2 years exactly in fact.  Jingle.kids are home for their studies, so we've got a full house here.  Winter is a bear, we've all got a bit of cabin fever - at least in the summer we can spend most of our time outdoors.  Not so much right now.  Looking forward to the warmer weather.  My days / weeks consist of work, working out, spending time doing things with and as a family (movies, tv, games, puzzles ...).  Everyday is like Groundhog Day.  But, we're healthy, employed, and have a roof over our heads - so as I said... as good as can be hoped for.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2021, 09:49:28 AM »
Wow a Nem sighting... Hey boo ❤️

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2021, 10:35:49 PM »

Holy mother of god!  How the hell are you?

:obscuredbyclouds:

Very well Chad, yourself? :)

About as good as can be hoped for and expected in a global pandemic.  Moved a couple years ago - almost 2 years exactly in fact.  Jingle.kids are home for their studies, so we've got a full house here.  Winter is a bear, we've all got a bit of cabin fever - at least in the summer we can spend most of our time outdoors.  Not so much right now.  Looking forward to the warmer weather.  My days / weeks consist of work, working out, spending time doing things with and as a family (movies, tv, games, puzzles ...).  Everyday is like Groundhog Day.  But, we're healthy, employed, and have a roof over our heads - so as I said... as good as can be hoped for.

Your beautiful family  :)
Very cool..

Not much has changed on my end either...
It's me, my Obscure Jr. and Macha, the cat. Our happy family :)
My (not-so) little one is 18 now and studying Communication & Design.

I'm still at the Central bank... still a sports enthusiast.. (Don't do much workout anymore though, I'm more of a runner now)
LO magazine is still up and running...
That's pretty much it  :smiley:

Wow a Nem sighting... Hey boo ❤️

Hey luv  :heart

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2021, 08:49:48 PM »
Damn, Kirk, thank you for sharing all that (several years ago, apparently...). I also went away to "college" too, but fortunately it was just a few weeks. It took a long time and the immeasurable help and support from my parents to get back on track. I am always in awe of those who spent a longer time away and are able to do the same.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2021, 05:51:29 AM »
Damn, Kirk, thank you for sharing all that (several years ago, apparently...). I also went away to "college" too, but fortunately it was just a few weeks. It took a long time and the immeasurable help and support from my parents to get back on track. I am always in awe of those who spent a longer time away and are able to do the same.

Oh, I was glad to do it then and a little surprised to see this get bumped a full 5 years later but every single word I posted in this thread is just as true today as it was when I posted it 5 years ago.

After being doxxed by some people I thought were my friends I probably would avoid making posts these days, but I won't go back and edit any of this because it's all public information now, even my employer knows my full history and they're 100% supportive.  If any good came out of the doxxing, that was it.  For the longest time my employer finding out about my history was my biggest fear.  Getting doxxed the way I did forced me to go to them and explain my personal history.  I don't think I've ever seen so many jaws hit the floor at one time.  To say the least, I don't present as someone who spent all those years in that situation so they were absolutely shocked by it, but they all took at as ancient history and to prove that they were serious about it, I've been promoted 3 times since sharing it with them. 

Another nugget of wisdom I've received just by being 57 years old:  The truth really does set you free.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2021, 02:58:09 PM »

Oh, I was glad to do it then and a little surprised to see this get bumped a full 5 years later but every single word I posted in this thread is just as true today as it was when I posted it 5 years ago.

After being doxxed by some people I thought were my friends I probably would avoid making posts these days, but I won't go back and edit any of this because it's all public information now, even my employer knows my full history and they're 100% supportive.  If any good came out of the doxxing, that was it.  For the longest time my employer finding out about my history was my biggest fear.  Getting doxxed the way I did forced me to go to them and explain my personal history.  I don't think I've ever seen so many jaws hit the floor at one time.  To say the least, I don't present as someone who spent all those years in that situation so they were absolutely shocked by it, but they all took at as ancient history and to prove that they were serious about it, I've been promoted 3 times since sharing it with them. 

Another nugget of wisdom I've received just by being 57 years old:  The truth really does set you free.

Yeah, while I have similar fears about my recovery coming out, the benefits far outweigh them. Others shared their stories, and when I needed help those 9 or so years ago, I knew who to reach out to. Similarly, by sharing mine, people reached out to me when they were in trouble, and are sober this day. Being in a position to possible save a life far outweighs the fear of exposure to me.

Plus, in my line of work, alcoholics/addicts are commonplace, so being open about recovery lets your employer know you'll show up after payday, and won't rail into their liquor stash late at night  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2021, 03:01:10 PM »
The truth really does set you free.

I used to have a quote above my desk at work from former Red Sox manager Jimy Williams:
"Always tell the truth, that way you never have to remember what you said."
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2021, 12:40:04 PM »
just by being 57 years old

57! 1963 was a very good year! :metal  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2021, 01:39:20 PM »

"It Was A Very Good Year" is also my favorite Sinatra song.  And "December, 1963" is my favorite Frankie Valli song. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2021, 02:01:51 PM »

57! 1963 was a very good year! :metal :biggrin:

Too bad I missed being born in it by a month and a half  :lol   (my birthday is 2-14-64)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2021, 03:18:10 PM »

57! 1963 was a very good year! :metal :biggrin:

Too bad I missed being born in it by a month and a half  :lol   (my birthday is 2-14-64)

Happy Valentine's day! 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2021, 04:51:29 PM »

The Lovely Mrs TAC too!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2021, 05:53:36 PM »
-For the older members who are married/not single - same question, how is your life different?

Not bad but not great either. I wish I had lived alone for a few years before getting married not because I was a party animal or actively looking for multiple mates when I was a young herrick. I went straight from living at home with my parents to moving in with and soon thereafter marrying a slightly older womang who came with kids already hatched and an extended family that has lots of baggage, trauma, and drama. I just want some peace and solitude and it doesn't look like that will happen any time soon since I became Grandpa Herrick a few years ago at the ripe of old age of 37  :metal
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2021, 12:16:23 PM »
Holy shit, I thought I was "young" becoming a grandpa at 52  :lol  that was 5 years ago already  :eek

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2021, 12:29:14 PM »
Holy shit, I thought I was "young" becoming a grandpa at 52  :lol  that was 5 years ago already  :eek

I know someone who became a grandmother at the age of 28, and great grandmother at 44   :o
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2021, 01:02:29 PM »
I was 50 and I thought I was young.  I'm technically a step-grand-dad.  My wife is 7 years younger than me; she was 18 when she had her son.  She was and still is a sort of friggin' peacock about it, telling people she's a grandma, since she can still pass for 35, easy, maybe younger.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2021, 03:25:56 PM »
I was 50 and I thought I was young.  I'm technically a step-grand-dad.  My wife is 7 years younger than me; she was 18 when she had her son.  She was and still is a sort of friggin' peacock about it, telling people she's a grandma, since she can still pass for 35, easy, maybe younger.

I'm also a step Grandpa so I guess it doesn't really count. But the Cabbage Patch Kid calls me "ganpaw" so it kinda counts.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!