Author Topic: DT12 v. WDAWAIISOIT8V&CSTOE pt. XII  (Read 84249 times)

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Twelfth DT Album - Discussion Thread
« Reply #280 on: December 30, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »
So, do you think they will enter the studio Jan 2nd like they did last time or they will wait a couple of days/weeks more? Also, let's cast our bets about the studio. I say Cove City again, unless they need a somewhat larger space for the drum kit.

My guess is it will be recorded at Abbey Road Studios in London, with a live debut performance at the amphitheater at Pompeii. It'll be released as a double live album along side the original studio recordings 4 disks total. However, as an added bonus there will of course be the live DVD performance with behind the scenes of the new albums creation along with lengthy interviews and individual commentary tracks of band members.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #281 on: December 30, 2012, 12:25:36 PM »
So, do you think they will enter the studio Jan 2nd like they did last time or they will wait a couple of days/weeks more? Also, let's cast our bets about the studio. I say Cove City again, unless they need a somewhat larger space for the drum kit.

My guess is it will be recorded at Abbey Road Studios in London, with a live debut performance at the amphitheater at Pompeii. It'll be released as a double live album along side the original studio recordings 4 disks total. However, as an added bonus there will of course be the live DVD performance with behind the scenes of the new albums creation along with lengthy interviews and individual commentary tracks of band members.

Cool, except for the live debut performance venue  :lol

The amphitheater at Pompeii would be big enough for approximately 1000 fans. I'd consider reconstructing the Colloseum in Rome, that'd be some 50.000 people! :justjen :metal :biggrin:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #282 on: December 30, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »
They could rebuild the Colosseum, but being aware of the average building speed in Italy, I can say that  only DT's children children would have a chance to play their farewell show there.  :censored
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline philmcson

« Reply #283 on: December 30, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
True that, it'd faster fall apart than be rebuilt  :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #284 on: December 30, 2012, 12:37:03 PM »
However, as an added bonus there will of course be the live DVD performance with behind the scenes of the new albums creation along with lengthy interviews and individual commentary tracks of band members.
JMX commentary:

"I play bass here.

..."

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #285 on: December 30, 2012, 04:52:30 PM »
Well, that's kinda odd, they all live in the USA and they will fly over across teh ocean to record the album... I find difficult to believe... put it this way, the last album which was, probably the most difficult album of their career, they've recorded in home, even James recorded his parts on Canada in a studio near his home (at least that was what i read on an interview). So why would they record the album in UK??

Oh and by the way, thanks for the update... at least is always something more. Can't wait for the album to come out...

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: December 30, 2012, 05:03:33 PM »
Of course there is no way that they will spend two consecutive months far from their families just to record an album where The Beatles did. Nor that they would go an play in a place that is already an iconic venue linked forever to an iconic band like Pink Floyd.
- Marco

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #287 on: December 30, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »
I think that the next record should sound massive. That is all.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: December 30, 2012, 05:13:54 PM »

What do you mean by massive? Thrain Of Thought massive?
- Marco

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #289 on: December 30, 2012, 05:15:49 PM »

What actually happened to the Bear Tracks Studio? Why don't they record there anymore? I don't remember I know somebody from the band said something to it but I have no idea what... They didn't record there since SDOIT and every DT album that was recorded there was awesome so it would be nice to record one more album there :)

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #290 on: December 30, 2012, 05:45:28 PM »

What do you mean by massive? Thrain Of Thought massive?

Massive, in that it should be atmospheric, but very intense at the same time. Kind of like Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence with some Awake and A Dramatic Turn of Events thrown in.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #291 on: December 30, 2012, 06:51:16 PM »

What actually happened to the Bear Tracks Studio? Why don't they record there anymore? I don't remember I know somebody from the band said something to it but I have no idea what... They didn't record there since SDOIT and every DT album that was recorded there was awesome so it would be nice to record one more album there :)

IIRC, Beartracks studio has already closed.

I would think maybe Avatar or Cove City.

I would like for Mangini to use his "regular kit" like in the A Drummer's Dream documentary or in JLB's solo albums.

EDIT: I feel like MM's kit is excessive. Dont know if he uses it all. Saw him twice in this ADTOE tour and it seemed he only played half of it. I could be wrong though. Also think that the octobans look a bit ridiculous on the top (imo).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:34:22 PM by goo-goo »

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: December 30, 2012, 07:09:23 PM »
Dudes, Steve Vai has a studio in California called The Mothership. That place looks like it would be sick to record in. The link only shows the studio part, but it also has living quarters.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #293 on: December 30, 2012, 10:08:52 PM »
Of course there is no way that they will spend two consecutive months far from their families just to record an album where The Beatles did. Nor that they would go an play in a place that is already an iconic venue linked forever to an iconic band like Pink Floyd.

Lol I know, man. I only mentioned those things because of what Floyd did. Was interesting to think about DT doing something similar in their careers. But thanks for reminding me it won't ever happen at least

Offline Ruba

« Reply #294 on: December 31, 2012, 10:10:19 AM »

I would have liked to see them at Le Studio, Morin Heights, Quebec, but looks like it's closed  :(.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: December 31, 2012, 10:11:25 AM »
What's so special about that studio? Rush?
- Marco

Offline Ruba

« Reply #296 on: December 31, 2012, 10:15:25 AM »
Excellent guess, sir.

Starts from the 9th paragraph.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: December 31, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »
Too bad BearTracks is closed forever, would've been cool to see them record there again. But then the I&W comparisons would sky-rocket.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #298 on: December 31, 2012, 10:22:25 AM »
Too bad BearTracks is closed forever, would've been cool to see them record there again. But then the I&W comparisons would sky-rocket.

Yeah. But Iron Maiden also recorded their latest release at Compass Point in the Bahamas where they recorded Piece of mind, and you can't really hear lots of similarities, the only one probably being all of the 1983 members there + Janick Gers.
Hopefully people won't stir up comparisons based solely on the studio choice.....  ::)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #299 on: December 31, 2012, 10:31:12 AM »
Hopefully people won't stir up comparisons based solely on the studio choice.....  ::)
I'll stir up comparisons based on JP's shirts.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: December 31, 2012, 10:36:32 AM »
I hope for you he won't be bringing out that awful "thing" he used to wear in the early 1992/1993 shows....  :facepalm:
- Marco

Offline philmcson

« Reply #301 on: December 31, 2012, 10:40:51 AM »

I'll calculate the possibility of DT producing another epic album based on the number of cymbals and drums MM is gonna use  :biggrin:

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: January 01, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »

I'll calculate the possibility of DT producing another epic album based on the number of cymbals and drums MM is gonna use  :biggrin:

Well, 58. duh.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: January 01, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »
Ha - for such a massive kit - mangini doesn't actually use that many cymbals !

Offline philmcson

« Reply #304 on: January 01, 2013, 07:00:46 PM »
Made a rough count based on a photo where all the cymbals can be seen. I think it's 21 of them. Counting stack cymbals as one, but bells on top of stack cymbals as a separate cymbal....

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #305 on: January 02, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »
It'll be interesting what the new album brings. The last album had some bold parts, which was good, but for the most part it was also safe, to show they can do DT music with a major previous member missing.
The new album will probably show how DT sees their own future. Will they play it safe again, or will they evolve?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline philmcson

« Reply #306 on: January 02, 2013, 01:44:56 PM »
It'll be interesting what the new album brings. The last album had some bold parts, which was good, but for the most part it was also safe, to show they can do DT music with a major previous member missing.
The new album will probably show how DT sees their own future. Will they play it safe again, or will they evolve?

I expect them to evolve. Maybe MM should come up with a sick groove he created and then the guys write a song jamming to the groove and so on. Who knows what they would come up with. If they have at least 2 "heavy" songs, my metal fanboydom will be pleased.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #307 on: January 02, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »
I imagine they'd go and do something a bit more experimental, like SDOIT was. At least, I hope they'll do that.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #308 on: January 02, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »
I imagine they'd go and do something a bit more experimental, like SDOIT was. At least, I hope they'll do that.
Especially since you can draw a line between SFAM and ADTOE in terms of the circumstance of member change, but even more importantly, I imagine they are about as relaxed about their direction and confident in the support of their fanbase as they were pre-SDOIT.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: January 02, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »
Yes! And if there is no Pantera-like event, that in a way restrained the innovative power that could have been unleashed on SDOIT, we might be in for something really interesting.
- Marco

Offline johncal

« Reply #310 on: January 02, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »
When I saw DT play live, I saw Mangini use everything on the kit and He says he uses everything on the kit. 2 things Mangini is not, a liar or a pretender. Big difference between him and Portnoy. Mangini can use everything on the kit at the same time, Portnoy's "Siamese Monster" was actually 2 kits that he had to octowalk from one to the other to get to everything. If you follow Mangini you'll see that everything on that rack has a very specific purpose. Lot's of drummers use a gong but only hit it once a night, it doesn't mean they don't use it or need it.

How about cutting the nice little guy some slack?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: January 02, 2013, 06:24:14 PM »
It'll be interesting what the new album brings. The last album had some bold parts.

I'd quite like some Italics or superscript on the new album.  :hat

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: January 02, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »
It'll be interesting what the new album brings. The last album had some bold parts.

I'd quite like some Italics or superscript on the new album.  :hat

I thought most of it was Comic Sans.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: January 02, 2013, 06:36:24 PM »
I'm just glad it was Sans Portnoy.  :hat

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: January 02, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
I'm just glad it was Sans Portnoy.  :hat

:millahhhh

I'd welcome M.P back. I am not a ADToE fan at all, goofy album art, so so album all together.  I saw them twice for the ADToE tour though, Mangini is a monster on the kit.. just feels like it was missing some angst.